WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Stanley »

A programme on R4 at 11AM on scientific journals and some of the dodgy practices associated with them. I thought of Tiz right away and wondered if he was also listening.....
The harrowing sight of the victims of the Blood Scandal recounting personal experiences. I know the media are selective in the clips they show in these circumstances but I felt so sorry for them. It struck me that in an age where 'victims' often prefer to be called 'survivors', these people cannot be described in any other way, they are all truly victims. There but for the grace of god........
The pleasant weather.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

To some degree the contaminated blood tragedy must come down to having to buy stocks in to some degree. If more eligible people donated there should be no need for shortages of blood products. The 4% of eligible donors figure that is always quoted has been the same for decades. What is wrong with people in their reluctance to give a donation. I don't believe 96% of the eligible population are scared or cannot make it to a session.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It beggars belief that Persimmon have been building unsafe homes while making a fortune out of `Help to Buy' money provided by taxpayers...
`'New-build homes not fire safe', BBC investigation finds' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 01 May 2019, 08:35 To some degree the contaminated blood tragedy must come down to having to buy stocks in to some degree. If more eligible people donated there should be no need for shortages of blood products. The 4% of eligible donors figure that is always quoted has been the same for decades. What is wrong with people in their reluctance to give a donation. I don't believe 96% of the eligible population are scared or cannot make it to a session.
It has been difficult to get a local appointment to donate, my last 3 have been in Chorley, Preston and Clitheroe. The next one is booked in Burnley.
I know the 4% is a long standing figure but I can't see it improving if the appointments aren't available.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The service suffers from cuts to the NHS like lots of other departments. It's a bit of a catch 22 situation they can only offer what they can safely cover by the required number of staff under H&S rules. Barlick already has two sessions a few weeks apart to cater for the demand, we are pretty good at coming forward here in the town. A lot of Rolls workers who get time off during the day will fill a lot of the afternoon slots. We could probably easily populate another session on top of the double ones we have now but the staffing just isn't there to support it.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

A shame really. At present I can fit my donations around my commute but it must be infuriating for anyone who stays local.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I have always managed if I make it the first job returning home after donation. Bit academic for me at the moment as I am at the mercy of the NHSBT medical panel. Not heard anything yet, probably a few months to wait yet if the blue nurse was correct in her statement that they are slower than the DVLA, which takes some doing in my experience. Not heard anything about my driving licence either, limbo land. :sad:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Passport office seems to have upped its game. Margaret rang them from Oz on Monday to enquire about her new passport and they told her it would be in Perth by tomorrow...

The fact it's Polling Day. I resent the fact that the politicians put the onus on the public to provide ID. Why should there be any objections to free National Identity Cards in an era when your local supermarket has more data on file about you than the government! We all had them in WW2 and they should have been retained.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 02 May 2019, 03:04Why should there be any objections to free National Identity Cards in an era when your local supermarket has more data on file about you than the government!
I agree but perhaps we trust the government less with our personal information than we do the supermarkets! :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You could have a point there Tiz. Everyone I put that point of view to agrees with me though. Is it perhaps time for a referendum???
The fact that the Met Office keeps talking about 'cold weather' when actually it's relatively mild and everything is growing. Could it be a London-centric attitude?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

I didnt think the BBC were getting their weather from the Met Office Now (are ITV?) Rather makes you think though what is the role of the Met Office. If slightly lower temperatures give better, hardier, good basic yields for crops and timber surely that is no bad thing.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dave brings the Jigsaw back this morning restored to life but only on high speed. It was a bum speed controller which is now by-passed.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Proud dad moment. My youngest offspring got National Basketball League division 4 player of the year.

https://youtu.be/IhGpzl2yuBo
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Whyperion wrote: 04 May 2019, 00:34 I didnt think the BBC were getting their weather from the Met Office Now (are ITV?)
Wikipedia: `BBC Weather is a department of the BBC responsible for the preparation and broadcasting of weather forecasts. The information is provided by MeteoGroup. (Previously, the Meteorological Office had been the BBC's provider of weather information for 94 years up to 2017).'
Whyperion wrote: 04 May 2019, 00:34 Rather makes you think though what is the role of the Met Office
`The main role of the Met Office is to produce forecast models by gathering information from weather satellites in space and observations on earth, then processing it with a variety of models, based on a software package known as the unified model.'
They provide information for anyone who needs it, either commercially or through government channels.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Thanks Tizer, I was not / am not certain who is responsible for acting on the warnings and logical outcomes of expected weather on people, infrastructure, economic output and similar. - I know changes have been made since the mistakes of storm prediction outcomes, but excess dry and sunny weather brings as many problems as violent winds and floods.

Happy Star Wars Day.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Whyperion wrote: 04 May 2019, 11:36 Happy Star Wars Day.

May 4th be with you. . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Gives you a warm glow doesn't it Kev.....
Receipt of July hospital appointments.
Broke the log jam and wrote two articles.....
Jack had yellow vomiting day after eating grass!!!!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Could it just be bile Stanley, maybe Jack's tummy was empty?
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Could be Cathy but he had had his morning sausage, on balance it is bile but cause is the grass. I can do without it!
How satisfying it is when all the spadework in the form of reading for research comes together and forms the basis for updated articles on local history. Once you have got your head round it you can write a clear story. That's what is happening now with the latest batch of BET articles, they almost write themselves but of course the fact checking takes time....
The fact that this Bank Holiday is colder than the last, a reversal of what would be normal. Little doubt that weather patterns are changing. I'll leave it to others to ascribe a cause.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I had to pop up to the 5th floor at work today and couldn't resist taking a few pics of our Adelaide Hills. The City of Adelaide is far right in the second pic. Can you see it? ( Not a bad view from your Hospital bed). Our Adelaide Hills are part of the Mount Lofty Ranges that stretch for about 300 kilometres.
WP_20190506_12_12_20_Pro.jpg
The pics should go 1 2 3 but they have shown up as 1 3 2.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I remember the view. My son was born on the 6th floor and Maternity/Nursery were on the 5th.
They wouldn't allow you to come down in the lift in a wheelchair ( from Delivery Suite to Maternity) because policy at the time was "you were not sick, you had only given birth".
( felt like my insides were going to drop out...and it was such a long walk, I almost fainted)
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

It was that view that I used to get up and shuffle to several times a day after my hysterectomy. :good:
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Yes I can see the city in the background on the enlarged photo. But what is that shiny spot in the background on all the pics?
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Not sure China and unfortunately my phone camera doesn't do the scene justice.

Adelaidehills.org.au. Well worth a look :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good view Cathy, tell them the windows need cleaning! No views like that at Airedale, all two storey and in a valley bottom.
Our MPs will be back today from holidays, now the trouble begins!
A woman has given birth to a healthy child in Windsor.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”