Today I shall be Mainly...

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by PanBiker »

I will, pre op I was up to 20 - 30 miles without any problem with plenty of hills in the way. 60 to 70 miles a day when we did the coast to coast. I would love to get back to that but we'll have to see.
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I too had several bulging discs and one herniated, the one treated. I was lucky I think, no lasting or indeed remaining problems after the op, but I did have nearly 9 months physio before it, which I was told was very noticeable from day one. I am sure things will improve with time
If you keep searching you will find it
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Start on short runs and build up to it, Panbiker. Do it for the joy of it first, before pushing yourself.

You were lucky Sue. i was lucky too. I was at risk of Paraplegia before the op...so to have come out of it with a few small (annoying) problems is a good thing. My bladder still goes "off-line" some days and refuses to function - no loss off control -it just refuses "go" when I want it to. Pesky thing!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm just tired.... But I think that could simply be the mileage!
Got in the shed yesterday. Very satisfying....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 22 May 2019, 00:09 You were lucky Sue. i was lucky too. I was at risk of Paraplegia before the op...so to have come out of it with a few small (annoying) problems is a good thing. My bladder still goes "off-line" some days and refuses to function - no loss off control -it just refuses "go" when I want it to. Pesky thing!
I have noticed since my problem and indeed yours that some people think a slipped disc is just a bad back pain. Until you have suffered from one I don’t think the pain and associated problems are really appreciated. I was reading on one site about a girl who was asking for advice about her back problem. She obviously had a slipped disc from her descriptions and she was being advised to do exercise, go to yoga, take leisurely walks etc etc. Just not possible . Its difficult enough just to move, and the pain is excruciatingly constant.

Stanley you don’t sound like the Stanley I have come to know. This cancer treatment seems to have taken you aback a bit and sapped your energy.

Today I have an all day art workshop with Jeremy Ford, pilates this evening and packing the car ready for the trip to Portsmouth after breakfast in the morning.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think you may be right Sue but then again it could be simply old age! I am not letting it worry me because either way I can't do a lot about it! There is no doubt in my mind that one of the consequences of BCG treatment is fatigue, what isn't clear is how long it takes to shake it off. It will be interesting to see what the 'maintenance' treatment in July will do but that's what living with cancer entails.
As for this morning I have to confess that I have been fascinated this morning by the political news and have not got in the shed. As a historian I know I'm living through a momentous time. So I have done nothing but listen to it!
I know that not everyone is not as interested in politics but I am!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Sue wrote: 22 May 2019, 06:37 Stanley you don’t sound like the Stanley I have come to know. This cancer treatment seems to have taken you aback a bit and sapped your energy.
Give th'owd lad a break - just reading about your routine makes me exhausted. :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I have mainly been selling stuff in readiness to moving to a smaller house.

Anyone want to buy a LYCKSELE HÅVET? :laugh5:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Just showing concern Tripps , don’t like to think he is not so good. As for me, I do an awful lot of sitting between activities :laugh5:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

:biggrin2: yes...I had a couple of neighbours who suggested going to the gym and doing weights was the answer to my problem, Sue. Here was me, unable to put my own shoes and socks on! I could barely lift the kettle!

My theory is (agree or disagree at your will) that when certain things happen in our lives ( not necessarily medical events )it turns out that we are able to look back and realise that we were one way before the event and different after the event. The event fundamentally changed us in some way. Some may feel it marks the start of feeling old. Some may say it marks the line between being strong and well and a lesser state. I don't feel old, but I do acknowledge that I may have to adapt and progress in a different way now.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, I didn't feel that Sue was getting at me. She has noted what must be obvious and the most likely reason is a combination of age, dealing with cancer and the treatment itself. Be sure it's not sending me into a decline. I consider myself lucky.
Voting today and Susan comes to trim my hooves this morning so not sure about the shed. Daughters are a blessing, I can do them myself but I can't see too well of course and she makes a much better job of them.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

..........My theory is (agree or disagree at your will) that when certain things happen in our lives ( not necessarily medical events )it turns out that we are able to look back and realise that we were one way before the event and different after the event. The event fundamentally changed us in some way. ......

I agree totally Maz. I changed when I had my perforated appendix, it was a couple of days afterwards when the consultants words sank in that I was lucky to be alive and if it had happened like it did only a few years earlier I would have been dead. I vowed to make every day count after that. At first it was work related throwing myself into my personal career ambitions then it was retirement. I was determined to try new things and lead a full life. Not being a brave person jumping out of planes with a parachute was not my sort of thing but keeping healthy and active in mind and body is . That was curtailed for 9 months after my herniated disc but I came back with a vengeance but similarly it opened up new things . It was then that I wrote my genealogy book .
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I'm not going to Bungee Jump or dive out of planes either! But I will find a new focus.
We booked the ferry for a holiday today - we will drive our camper onto the ferry and head to Tasmania ( which is an overnight cabin trip). Not until November ( but ferry bookings with a large vehicle need to be booked well in advance). It has raised my spirits immensely. To be in our own RV as we re-visit Tasmania for a fortnight is exciting, something to look forward to.
Due to our border controls, we have certain restrictions on things allowed in our van ( no fruit or veg or fish etc - but pantry items are allowed. It's the fresh stuff that is taboo. )but that is ok. We will just shop when we get there.
We will take the bikes and the backpacks, and do as much riding and hiking as we can.
Plenty of room under the bed for a few bottles of our favourite "Red" :good:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 23 May 2019, 08:09 I'm not going to Bungee Jump or dive out of planes either! But I will find a new focus.
We booked the ferry for a holiday today - we will drive our camper onto the ferry and head to Tasmania ( which is an overnight cabin trip). Not until November ( but ferry bookings with a large vehicle need to be booked well in advance). It has raised my spirits immensely. To be in our own RV as we re-visit Tasmania for a fortnight is exciting, something to look forward to.
Due to our border controls, we have certain restrictions on things allowed in our van ( no fruit or veg or fish etc - but pantry items are allowed. It's the fresh stuff that is taboo. )but that is ok. We will just shop when we get there.
We will take the bikes and the backpacks, and do as much riding and hiking as we can.
Plenty of room under the bed for a few bottles of our favourite "Red" :good:
I get the same buzz going to France, we are just getting on the ferry. After Brexit I think controls will be tighter on produce. This may be the last time I can take my veggie plants over that we have grown in Rochdale
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thge site has lost my response made yesterday.
Hope you have a good trip Maz.
Today is butsher's and taking it easy.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

That trip is not until November!
We have another one planned for before that, up to Queensland in the van...possibly early September.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Yesterday the agent's photographer was round doing the pics for the sale brochure, I was very restrained and just let him get on with it :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Big Kev wrote: 22 May 2019, 15:13 I have mainly been selling stuff in readiness to moving to a smaller house.

I had to look up what it is. It's just what we need because we should take ownership of a new bedsit apartment in June or July. Unfortunately, shipping costs make this offer unattractive!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

chinatyke wrote: 24 May 2019, 10:30
Big Kev wrote: 22 May 2019, 15:13 I have mainly been selling stuff in readiness to moving to a smaller house.

I had to look up what it is. It's just what we need because we should take ownership of a new bedsit apartment in June or July. Unfortunately, shipping costs make this offer unattractive!
Fortunately it still has the label on the bottom as I couldn't remember :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
StoneRoad
Regular User

Post by StoneRoad »

first - get some sun whilst gardening (and doing laundry, thankfully the washer is behaving itself)
then mid-morning, change into blacks and head for a funeral (may chicken out, it is only a few months since my dad died)
mid-afternoon, meet up with S-I-L to scatter some of F-I-L's ashes.
back home via the workshop to check on what they did today
finally, some more gardening. (I'm turning two compost heaps into one and bagging up the good stuff)
and have a look at the hanging baskets ...
Saluton. Mi estas fervojistino, kaj vi?

visit http://www.ipernity.com/doc/312383/album

to see what has been done! Perhaps we can do something for you?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Having a quiet day. Watching F1 qualifying and finishing reading my Omissi book.
Shed?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Working in the forest of the garden this morning, and this afternoon I am going to visit an ‘open garden’ event at our local village with a french friend. Its a fund raising event for a children's cancer charity. I may plant up my pots with the geraniums cuttings we brought over. The veggies will have to wait till we have found the veggie plot!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No shed today, my back has to heal up after yesterday's lapse of concentration. Grand Prix at 19:00.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

What have you done Stanley
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Well, I had planned a day of indoor tasks catching up on housework but I just put my whole leg into a hole in the ground whilst walking round the fields almost blinded by driving rain. A collapsed drain which is easy to see when the grass is short but not just now!! I seem to have thumped the muscle on my thigh but nothing worse so I'm sat on the sofa, dosed up with painkillers and clutching an ice pack. 😞

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”