Global Moderator

Re: Shed Matters 3

Post by Stanley »

Yes Kev. Feel free.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

:good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Job done, thank you. I'm working now until the end of next week so I'll bob it back then.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good, I thought it might do. No rush for it, I can't remember when I last used it but that's the fate of special tools, they sit on the shelf for years and then save your bacon! Note the quality... it was made by Sykes Pickavant in the days when they were high quality English manufacture. That thin forged steel foot is immensely strong and the screw is high tensile and hardened.

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The only shed activity yesterday was to fill the manual WD 40 sprayer and get it going..... No more aerosols!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I did a repair job on this a little while ago, the neck of the guitar was missing so I made a new one. It's not an invisible mend but it looks good on the bar in McCulloughs
20190410_163232.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
The nearest I have got to the shed this morning is sharpening the kitchen scissors.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

First job in the shed was a clean up and a rearrangement of space so I could stow the WD40 away in the right place.

A clean shed and if you look on the big surface plate you'll see the object of this morning's attention. I noted when I was making the carriage for my last cannon that my smoothing plane was sadly out of kilter, just about unusable. This has been creeping up on me for a long time. I am going to find out what the problem is and rectify it.

It didn't take long to identify the problem. Years of less than perfect sharpening had put the edge out of square and the angles were wrong.

I think you can see from this how bad my sharpening has been over the years! I put a mark on to guide the radical grinding that was going to be needed. I did that on the grindstone, a brutal affair but it had to be done. I made it square and ground the clearance angle on the edge with very frequent quenching in cold water so as not to overheat the carbon steel blade.

Then some very careful honing on a good flat stone, first the clearance angle and then the cutting edge. I finished it off by stropping it on a piece of leather glued onto a piece of hardwood and planed flat. At the same time I gave the face of the plane body a wipe over on the stone to make sure that was flat.

I adjusted the plane and then tested it on a piece of wood. It was 100% better, nice shavings and very little effort needed. It's as good as it was when new....
That took just over an hour and is enough for this morning. I feel better now!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You've seen this box many a time on the shelf under the outside bench. About two or three years ago in one of my clear outs I put all these bits in for long term storage and shoved them out of sight. This morning seemed like a good day for having a look and seeing what could be done with them. They are what is left of the gleaning I did over the years every time Newton started throwing stuff out. That was how I got all the accessories for the two Johnny Pickles lathes. Some of these were made for those lathes but will never be used again, mostly for heavy milling in the lathe which of course I'll never do. Johnny didn't have a milling machine in his shed in those days and had to improvise.

Here's the start, the biggest and heaviest bits. I broke them all down into their constituent parts. All made by Johnny and I know his work well enough by now to appreciate just how well they were made. He was a big fan of hardened steel tapers running in taper bushes and adjusted by putting pressure on the tapers to adjust play.

After a while, here's where I was. All dismantled and sorted out. The non ferocious is on the left the rest is either steel or cast iron. The two small pulleys on the right are motor pulleys. This is all stock material now and has been put away in the various locations and treasure chests.

I put all the pulleys together in the box and they have gone back on the shelf under the bench.

Here are three items that remain to be dealt with. The one on the left needs milling out from the back to get the knob off. The next item on the right of that is a proprietary high speed milling spindle for belt drive and tiny cutters. Not a lot of point stripping that down. Then there is a lathe tailstock for a 7" lathe which is unusual because it has a quadrant on it to allow it to be swung over into different positions. Could be for taper turning? I'll give a bit more thought to the last two, someone might have a use for them some day. I suspect the tailstock is for using on a Myford lathe. If anyone wants it just give me a shout! (The high speed spindle as well....)
That's an itch scratched and for my sins my back is telling me I shouldn't have lifted the full box on to the bench! Ah well.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 25 May 2019, 09:20 That's an itch scratched and for my sins my back is telling me I shouldn't have lifted the full box on to the bench! Ah well.....
You should have asked...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes..... But you know how it is..... I shall nurse it, it will mend in a few days.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I got in the shed but didn't do anything strenuous! I wanted to finish the job I did on reducing my box of interesting bits that no use has been found for in the last twenty years to useful stock metal. The first job was to separate this Cast Iron knob from the parent piece of mild steel. The cutter was sharp and it cut beautifully.

No problem, the knob was cut out of the base.

Next I had a look at this tail stock. Two views of it, it's well made and quite obviously is constructed to be able to move the centre in an arc towards the turner.

I took it in the front room and tried it on the 1927 lathe to see if it was made for this. The centre is the right height but the locating rib underneath is slightly too big at a shade over 1 1/8" to fit in the bed. If anyone out there has a Myford lathe let me know if it would fit on that.

One thing that puzzles me is that there are no graduations on the quadrant. I can't for the life of me think why anyone would want to make a tail stock with this adjustment. I have tried to work it out, it would produce a tapered cut undoubtedly but the cutter would not be on centre at all points. Could it have been intended for use when freehand turning with a hand held cutter? If so, what for? I know that Johnny was noted in his day for having mastered the art of turning fusee cones for clocks and made many for his friends but Newton said he did those on a Drummond round bed lathe which this would obviously not fit.
On to the shelf with it and a good clean up which included emptying the shop vacuum and vacuuming the carpet. That'll do for this morning......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Magnu420

Post by Magnu420 »

Ive seen summat simaler but dont know where maybe it was on a myford grinding machine ?? Grinding tapers between the centres

I could try it on my lathe to see if it fits ( its the same as myford ml7 lathes )

I sent the photos to a mate to see if he has any ideas
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tell the man from Lathes to contact me direct if he has any queries. It's an intriguing puzzle, whoever made it knew his job and there will be an answer if we can find it. If I were to make a guess I'd say it was connected to Ornamental Turning......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have had a potter.... What triggered this is the fact I have ordered a set of tipped cutting tools from Banggood after watching John Mills trying them out. I have some already but I got them before I really understood the new technology and the ones I have are all negative rake and intended for use in industry where tool life is more important than finish and further are used on modern powerful high speed lathes. There is no doubt in my mind that they perform best with heavy feeds. I have ordered the Banggood set because I have seen John using them on his Harrison and getting good results. So this morning I went in the shed and did a bit of chip making to remind myself of the characteristics of the ones I have.

I started by making sure that the tools I was testing were on a true centre. Then I did cuts at varying speeds and feeds with the tipped tools and finished by doing a comparison cut with a bog standard HSS cutter.
The verdict is that the tipped tools I have at the moment are all right for removing a lot of metal but give a poor finish. Nowhere near what I can get with HSS steel. With this experiment fresh in my mind I look forward to trying the Banggood set.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The Banggood cutters have arrived. I shall fit the tips and have a play with them tomorrow.
Not the best quality in the world but adequate and all this for £46.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

All right, I haven't been in there! This time it's my back that's getting i8n the way! This m it was vacuuming.... But I did do something useful....

Apart from the tools already in the quick change holders, I have all my tipped tools and what goes into them in one place on the bench. Once I have loaded the tips in the new cutters I'll decide which ones are going to be populating the holders and then everything else goes into the new plastic box I have got.
Now all I have to do is get in there and organise!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You might wonder why there are two boring bars. One is for plain cutting and the other for internal threading. I suspect the threading cutters are for Metric but I think they'll be OK for Whitworth form. I'll do a test thread to make sure once I am set up.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was brave and went into the shed despite my back!

Time to do something about my new tools!

First thing was to fit all the tools with the correct tips.

Then I populated all my indexable holders apart from the one that already had a tipped parting tool in, a bigger negative rake cutter that will be for rough turning castings and my favourite HSS cutter that I do most of my work with. If I want to use any other HSS cutter I can use the original four way toolpost. Now I have to get them all on centre and have a play with them but that will do for tomorrow, I am not doing anything silly!

The plastic box is populated now and goes on the shelf above the lathe. I forgot to say, I have put the Banggood parting tool in the box together with the internal screwcutting bar and all the heavier negative rake cutters I already had. All nice and tidy now! Tomorrow we'll consider another play-out!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today I went in the shed to get all the cutters on centre and try them out, first a good clean up and then the centres.... I did all of them, even the ones I haven't altered. That's why I am starting with my favourite HSS cutter.

Once I had them all on centre I tried them out and got a good finish.

Last of all I did the boring bar and to try it out I picked a big rough square nut that came off an old steam engine and bored it out.

There is a technical term for something like this, rough as a bears arse! Despite that, one of my original big cutters cleaned the face and I bored it getting a reasonable finish with 30 thou cuts despite the lousy metal. The nut is wrought iron.

My final blow was to clean the lathe again and reinstall my HSS cutter after a good honing. The reason why I can get such a good finish with this tool is that it has a keener edge and a better radius. By the way, this will always be my preferred option for non-ferocious metals.
Only an hour and nothing earth shaking but I am pleased with the new cutters, they will certainly have a place in the armoury, even the older negative rake tool which will be good for rough jobs like taking the skin off castings.
It also gives me a clear field for a small repair job I have in mind.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This is what I had in mind. It's a high class Metamec electric clock that was part of my childhood. It eventually came to me with a fault it would tick but the hands didn't move. The tick was a one second tick so it was handy for use in the dark room for counting exposures and process times. For that reason I never did anything about mending it. Today is the day!

My little multimeter has been acting up of late, I took the back off and found that the expiry date on the 9v battery was 2011. So I fitted a new battery and it is now working OK. I tested the old battery and it still had almost 9v voltage but no amps. It has done well!

I had to take the bezel off so I could get the hands off to allow the movement to be taken off. Nothing like having the right tackle, the nuts were sunk in the wood but I happened to have these small metric sockets..... Dead easy.

Once I had the hands off and had removed the back I cleaned the surfaces up and in the process found that the Roman Numeral 'X' in IX was loose so I cleaned it up and glued it back in place with super glue.

This is the stud that was originally soldered to the bezel but was not attached when I took it off. I have cleaned it up and the bed in the bezel and the first job tomorrow will be to solder it back on. But that's enough for today.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 09 May 2019, 02:31
Just realised I still have this, I will return it as soon as I can put in a bit of mileage on these crutches..
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I hadn't lost any sleep Kev..... Take your time!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Take cover, Stanley is soldering! First job was to resolder the stud on to the bezel that was detached when I stripped it down.

After some fiddling and swearing I got it firmly attached.

Then after testing that the live lead was indeed delivering power (And tripping the earth trip on the main board after an accidental dead short!) I opened up the case. First thing I noted was a missing nut on the back plate so I guessed it would be BA and fitted a new nut.

That looks better but of course it wasn't the cause so I started testing circuits.

I found that there was no circuit through the coil so I took it out to test it again and make sure.

No point mucking about, I took the wrapping off and found the problem, the wire was broken. Now I need a bit of advice if Ian is tuned in. Any chance of you having a look and seeing if it is repairable? I don't think it has overheated, I think it's simply a mechanical break.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

No problem Stanley. If the coils are intact it should be recoverable. Waiting in for family and Open Reach at the moment and over at Silsden tomorrow. I'll see if I can pop round after lunch.
Ian

Return to “Crafts”