WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Big Kev »

All these TV channels and nowt to watch, it's going to be a long week...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

I keep watching repeats of stuff I have forgotten the ending to, including Time Team - I quite like repair shop too. YT has some metalwork and computer fault and repair channels.

Meanwhile, should anyone need to declare their OGFB details visiting the US.

US visas will have to submit their social media details under newly adopted rules.

The State Department regulations say people will have to submit social media names and five years' worth of email addresses and phone numbers.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Have you nothing recorded Kev or anything On Demand. "Kingsman" is starting on C4 if you fancy a bit of a spy spoof and a laugh. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I found all 6 episodes of Cardinal, I recorded it from BBC4 last week, and watched the first 2. Another 2 tomorrow should keep me out of mischief for 90 minutes.

I'm hoping for some dry weather, not sure I'd be safe on crutches In the rain :laugh5:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

I am getting some BBC sounds recomendations, some interesting local radio programmes and world service plus the R4 quizzes
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, the helicopters, that sounds like the CIA, not rehearsing, electronic surveillance almost certainly....
If the US really do want all that information before granting a visa it's a good job I no longer have a reason to go there. Sounds paranoid to me.
Kev, I must have missed something, are you home?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 02:34 Kev, I must have missed something, are you home?
I am indeed, just a day case...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's really good. I was under the impression you had to stay.... :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

They didn't hang on to me for long, youngest offspring picked me up 8 hours after he dropped me off :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They come in handy sometimes..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Indeed they do Stanley. Yesterday after the old car had failed on Friday he ran us on to our pre-arranged test drive and dealings in Fleetwood.

Made to go round, waiting for some bits but the next job at Jack's house is a new ring circuit and sockets. Jack is doing the graft, I will be acting foreman to point the lad in the right direction and probably sup tea. :smile:

Strangely, when I updated my car insurance policy last night. I plumbed the registration into the editable box and it searched for the car. It correctly filled the Hyundai and i30 model details and the engine details, all from the DVLA via the registration docs of course. What was surprising was that it classes the car as an Estate rather than a Hatchback that it is normally regarded. This particular marque does have quite a long wheelbase though.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Isn't 'estate car' such an old fashioned term! Time was when they had to have mock wooden framework on the skin to make them look coach-built. The Ford V8 just after the war was the first proper one I saw.

What a good growing season it is so far.
The fact I did more damage to my back the other day than I thought and these days I heal up so slowly! Bugger!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The arrival of my new cutters.
When I went out for my afternoon walk there was a Morrison's insulated carrier bag on the pavement in Wellhouse Street. On examination it was full of ice cream, all of it thawed out Only a few individual bars had been eaten. There must have been about £15 worth of ice cream in there! Expensive snack and the remainder just dumped on the pavement. I disposed of it in a litter bin and took the new carrier home and washed it, it is brand new. All I can say is that some people have more money than sense! I don't need the carrier but will find a home for it, such a waste not to. Litter is bad but food waste really offends me.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

A lot of people in Barlick may have more than a passing interest in the recent engine problems of the Rolls Royce Trent engine. An explanation for the problem is offered up here. Trent The suggestion is that excessive sulphur may have been a contributory cause. Quote 'The geometry around the root of the IPT blade concentrated air sucked in by the engine’s compressor system, which in some parts of the world (notably Asia) contained higher levels of sulphur-containing pollutants than the engine had been tested with.'
If true this is saying something about the air quality round the world.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Interesting article P. Isn't life complicated for engineers working in the far reaches of technology. In addition now there is the prospect of a sea change to deal with the effects of air pollution and climate change. Welcome to the Brave New World!
The fact that Jack is coughing, a sure sign I need to vacuum regardless of the state of my back! That's the scale of my technological fix at the moment
The fact that one of my kids outside the scope of the NHS needs an expensive operation. When Trump starts predation of the NHS remember how lucky we are!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thinking about the sulphur and its effects on engines, I wonder what part volcanic eruptions play in this?
The cooler spell of weather we are having, The CH keeps kicking in briefly.... It doesn't bother me, I like to be comfortable!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

15 years ago today I was over in France at the 60th anniversary of D-Day with our Dan on the motorbike. Waether was sunshine with odd showers. There were so many people booked into accommodation in France that we could only get single night bookings on camping sites. Over the three nights and four days we were there we had to stay at one site 65 miles inland from the coast. No real problem on the bike for the commute. We got the pirate fast ferry from Folkstone to Boulogne and worked our way down the British and Canadian beaches and fortifications then onto the American sectors. We rode the whole 70 mile invasion front on the way back on the 8th June.

Dan in Deauville on the way down into Normandy.

Cafe Gondree at Benouville the first house liberated in the early hours of D-Day.

The original Pegasus Bridge the target of the first action of Operation Overlord. Also the site of the first casualty Lt. Den Brotheridge Killed in action whilst taking the bridge.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice pics....
Did you notice that President Macron made his speech at the British ceremony in French with no simultaneous translation? At the American ceremony he spoke in English.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Peterborough.
... er, that's it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

My son's partner, her daughter and her dad are doing the great north swim on Lake Windermere today. Rather them than me :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Aye, I predict that it will be cold and wet. :biggrin2:

Making a start today on a new ring main in our Jacks house. Seven double sockets to shove in and a single in the pantry. Jack is going to put a data cabinet in there for distributing the broadband. We will install the new ring alongside the existing then get Nathan to come and test and connect. The singles that are set in the skirting boards can then be blanked off. We will have to provide a feed for the upstairs sockets that will still be needed on the ring until we replace them in phase two of the rewire. I put a new separate ring in the kitchen when we gutted it and put the new units in.
Ian
Whyperion

2020 May Day Holiday to be moved 4 days back

Post by Whyperion »

I think the BBC Report is wrong (or is using terminology I cannot follow ) https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48565417 If the Bank Holiday is moving to 8th May 2020 (a Friday) as it is moving from Monday 4th May. As I normally participate in May BH day activities, and set a number of other events over a year in advance I might find it difficult to adjust. Given that Brexit might have happened (or UK might decide it would rather be back in the EU) it will certainly be an interesting time.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Big Kev wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 07:55 My son's partner, her daughter and her dad are doing the great north swim on Lake Windermere today.
Normally a 1 mile swim. A very popular event, A chap at Colne pool is training for the double Lake swim 21 Mile. Eating and drinking and other bodily functions without getting out, Hope he does it in the correct order.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Queen's birthday honors list. I'm pleased to say that I have been overlooked again this year. Obviously she doesn't read OG. so what do you expect.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

...the fact that I haven't spent a cent since last Monday! :biggrin2:

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”