WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by PanBiker »

Pleased with progress at Jack's, we managed to get three double sockets sunk. Two of them back to back on one side of the feature arched fireplace built out of engineering bricks and varnished, hard as iron for cutting into. I was wrong, we are putting six doubles in the living room so three to go. I have left Jack to it, all positions marked up and he has the gist of the job in hand. Floorboards up in convenient places next job.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

:good:

We need pictures :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It strikes me that the golden rule about rewiring is that you can't have too many double sockets! Remember the old days, one single 15amp socket in a room? When we rewired this house Mick the Sparks looked at me askance when I told him I wanted 7 in a tiny room plus a 60amp feed for the welder. He was right, I slipped up, I should have made it eight! That was in the outshut of course that became the Shed.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

A glimmer of hope for my Driving Licence.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The fact that there are definite signs that my back storm is receding. I shall not push my luck!
Margaret is at hospital now for her CT scan of her ear.... There's always something! I still worry about my kids and grandchildren. By the way my pregnant grandchild is now out of the morning sickness phase and enjoying life, at least one bit of good news!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 09 Jun 2019, 12:29 A glimmer of hope for my Driving Licence.
:good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Stanley wrote: 09 Jun 2019, 02:42 It strikes me that the golden rule about rewiring is that you can't have too many double sockets! Remember the old days, one single 15amp socket in a room? When we rewired this house Mick the Sparks looked at me askance when I told him I wanted 7 in a tiny room plus a 60amp feed for the welder. He was right, I slipped up, I should have made it eight! That was in the outshut of course that became the Shed.
In mums flat the single sockets are in a just right place (generally), double horizontal sockets end up pushes things like furniture away from where the wires would logically go. In the USA I recall sockets are usefully vertically mounted, but with bottom exit UK Plug wiring thats not wholly possible, I wonder if a small offset on a pair of vertical sockets would work better sometimes.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I don't quite understand that post! What would be the difference between a standard double gang socket and an offset vertical one as regards cable orientation and egress from the plugs? The American and other foreign systems with two pin plugs in some cases with the cables exiting horizontally puts excessive strain on the cable. Don't forget that because of our 240v mains voltage and 450v three phase systems we, (the UK) have one of the safest electrical systems in the world and the regulations to make it so.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Still waiting for the third party to pay out in the car. Got some good news from the insurance company this morning, if I get a new MOT on the car I can just continue with the same policy. Result :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Today I was looking through some pictures of Pingguo found on search engine Bing. Imagine my surprise when there are several pictures lifted from OGFB of images I've submitted. There must be some reference to Pingguo in the hidden photo data.

https://cn.bing.com/images/search?view= ... ist=0&vt=0

The pictures do give acknowledgement to OGFB.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That sounds sensible Kev! Very refreshing.
China, stop worrying, every pic posted on the web is scanned and put in a data base somewhere. There are hundreds of mine and they pop up all over image searches. It's par for the course and who cares?
My Californian friends have seen Stonehenge and York and on Thursday and Friday will be in Barlick. What a sensible itinerary..... Good thing my back has improved slightly! It means I can enjoy the visit....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

chinatyke wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 15:38 Imagine my surprise when there are several pictures lifted from OGFB of images I've submitted.
No wonder you don't need to carry your ID around with you. Every Chinaman must be saying 'there goes that crazy Englishman who wears a teapot cosy on his head.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

plaques wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 07:19
chinatyke wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 15:38 Imagine my surprise when there are several pictures lifted from OGFB of images I've submitted.
No wonder you don't need to carry your ID around with you. Every Chinaman must be saying 'there goes that crazy Englishman who wears a teapot cosy on his head.
:laugh5: :laugh5: Once seen, never forgotten!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I tried Radio 4 this morning around 8.00 am for a change. First 'Thought for the day' by someone named John Bell of the Iona Community. I'm not at my most alert at this time, but seem to remember he spoke mainly about climate change, confirming what I've suspected for some time now that it has become a religion.

Then the news - with strangely no mention of the return of the TV Licence charge to over 75's, and the fourth or so item - was an advert for an exhibition at the Heywood Gallery whose theme was 'gender fluidity'. Fascinating. I made my excuses and left as the News of the World reporters traditionally used to say. :smile:

I think it'll be back to LBC tomorrow.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The licence fee story was on yesterday's BBC news so it has slid down the ratings a bit by this morning. Radio 4 is currently in summer mode of course so we have to put up with a lot of padding (even more than usual). More features than news and the features are not necessarily topical. As for John Bell and climate change, the religious leaders have remembered how they got criticised for backing the wrong horse in the 19th Century development of understanding evolution so they're aiming to be on the right side this time. :extrawink:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm afraid I am very unimaginative/discriminating in my choice of radio 4 permanently. I like the certainty.... Very good piece on Woman's Hour about Pelvic Floor exercises for men as well as women. I am happy to report that once again I am up with the trend, doing everything they recommended.... Very reassuring. They stressed the value of doing them as a protection against involuntary incontinence, an IMPORTANT MATTER if you are old or a bat.....
The state of the heavy sports shirt I bought for a dollar in the Community Thrift Shop in Northfield many years ago. It is so heavily worn that the facings of the closures on the front and cuffs are worn through to the backing. I keep considering binning it but it is such a good shirt and an old friend.

As I was passing the old mortuary this morning which is used by the Council as a base for the street cleansing in the town I noticed a ten gallon drum in the yard clearly marked 'Pride' superior rapeseed oil and quite evidently imported from China. This is global trade in action and you are forced to wonder about the economics of moving something which can be produced at home half way round the world.... Then there is confidence in quality.... Food for thought.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 12 Jun 2019, 03:23 The state of the heavy sports shirt I bought for a dollar in the Community Thrift Shop in Northfield many years ago. It is so heavily worn that the facings of the closures on the front and cuffs are worn through to the backing. I keep considering binning it but it is such a good shirt and an old friend.

Couldn't one of the sewing ladies breathe new life into it and re-face it? Looking at the state of the denims that the kids wear nowadays I think your shirt could start a new trend and be worth a small fortune!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I like it the way it is. Gear Field sports wear made in Jamaica. No trace on the web :sad: Washes beautifully.
Californian visitors this evening. They won't think much to our summer! forty years since we met.

How we were then......

The fact that it is forecast to reach 19C at Goose Bay in Labrador, roughly the same latitude as us. Tropical!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think you can guess.... Wonderful visit by two special people and we had so much ground to cover. No pics yet, I left that to Larry... he's a professional snapper and far better than me. So many names and so many stories!
They call in briefly again this morning and we will tidy up any loose ends....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Scotland's crannogs are older than Stonehenge' LINK
`Archaeologists have discovered that some Scottish crannogs are thousands of years older than previously thought. Crannogs were fortified settlements constructed on artificial islands in lochs. It was thought they were first built in the Iron Age, a period that began around 800 BC. But four Western Isles sites have been radiocarbon dated to about 3640-3360 BC in the Neolithic period - before the erection of Stonehenge's stone circle.'
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have always suspected that some were older than Iron Age and so have many other historians and archaeologists. There are a lot more of them as well than was previously suspected, and that's only the ones we have identified.... The Old People knew the value of moats as a defence long before the castle builders!
The fact that my mate Larry's demands on the internet caused Talktalk to go down.... I shall tell him!
Lovely visit by a lovely couple.....I am blessed with my friends.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bodger

Post by Bodger »

Burying Ebola victims, is this not putting a possibility of a reemergence?, I would have thought cremation a safer option
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The WHO guidelines for burial of Ebola victims are detailed and rigorous as shown in this article:
`12 steps to safely bury Ebola victims' LINK
I guess that burial is used because there are no crematorium facilities near where the victims are located.

For something lighter see this:
`Week in pictures: 8-14 June 2019' The BBC's selection of some of the most striking news photographs taken around the world this week. LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good link, good pics.....
Ian turning up to help me with my bum coil. A bit of help is worth a lot of pity! Made my day and it started raining as he left to walk home..... Isn't it nice when someone just piles in to help solve a problem. The wires are so fine I can't see them. Knowing Ian's compulsive perfection, if he does manage to repair it it will be better than new.....

The offender. Ian says there is a good chance that he can do it as it hasn't overheated, just that the internal connection had failed.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bodger

Post by Bodger »

Thank you ,bodger

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”