Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

You're right about the bannisters Sue. That's where I normally dry my duvet covers straight from the spin cycle. Yesterday I was lucky enough to get 3 hours blowing on the line on a good, if curtailed, drying day.
The other thing I hate about duvets is that any other washing finishes up inside them. Perhaps the solution is to button them up before they go in? That's just struck me and I shall try it next time.
Don't worry too much about your cholesterol levels if you feel OK. It's not poison! If it was it's strange that God put it in mother's milk and eggs..... I doubt if someone who has as good a diet and exercise regime as you is in mortal danger.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm happy to report at 09:00 that I have just completed washing the front room net, the frame and the window glass. All the ornaments are cleaned and back on the shelf. What an improvement! One thing about leaving it so long is the fact that the improvement is so massive!
Now I need to sit for a while before I walk Jack.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Just think how good it will feel in the morning, to come downstairs, and see that lovely fresh looking window and surrounds as the first light comes through.
We have an open bar area, and the twinkling of clean glassware always cheers me after I have put the effort in to washing all the glasses. ( a thankless task...I hate the job. They can all go to the charity shop as far as I am concerned.)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Speaking of windows. Here's a short video of my front window shelf. I've been here nearly ten years, and I don't think I've ever cleaned the windows.

I find that the last video I posted was on this thread in 2013. Who will ever forget 'tripps goes to tesco' . Everyone hopefully. David Whipp said he had to fast forward the really exciting bits, and Stanley's response was that' I should get out less'. :smile:

Here's the video Tripps Shelfie
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Will there be questions later Tripps once you have covered everything up? I like the teapot beside the copper kettle.....
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Wendyf wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 13:50 I like the teapot beside the copper kettle.....
That's Jack and Jill by J & G Morten. I got the first salt and pepper set in Richmond in the 80's when they had a shop there. They're not making any more, but still available on ebay. Now I keep buying more. - Antiques of the future. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I enjoyed your video, Tripps. One has a lot of "dustables"!
I'm a sucker for anything Blue. Blue things always attract me...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm glad you have some fur in your shuttle.... Window cills are like bookshelves, they tell you a lot about people..... I think all my ornaments and clutter are antiques already.
Not sure what I shall be doing today. I might just let the slight aches and pains heal up after clambering about on the lathe bed to get to the curtains and the paintwork! Those kitchen steps I bought were a good thing. Exceptionally stable and safe.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I have Toby jugs ( not heads, proper jugs) . They fill cupboards, top of sheves and units. I have three boxes of cheap ones in the loft. I used to collect them avidly, searching for unusual members of a particular set. They were worth a lot and had to be insured separately. Then ebay came along and the value crashed. You can’t give them away now, so apart from a couple , my 50 year old collection is just kept because I like them. I used to clean each one every summer. It was a task I hated. These days we have a cleaner, just for the regular weekly stuff of the main rooms. My sewing room, spare bedroom, study etc we do. She cleans the windows . YES! When we are in France in the summer she steam cleans the bathroom and a few other annual jobs which includes my Toby jugs. Apart from a couple, I told her not to worry if she breaks one, I can easily get another if I want from ebay. So much for my investment in antiques :laugh5:

I turned up at the hospice shop yesterday to find I had accidentally booked myself into Wednesday and not Tuesday. So I came home and tidied up all my garden pots weeding and digging in slow release fertiliser. In the morning I took advantage of the fine weather and washed the bedding. So satisfying watching it blowing in the wind. Thus today is ironing and the hospice shop. We intend going for a walk this morning too. Need to get a move on, lying here supping tea and writing on my ipad.
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"Need to get a move on, lying here supping tea and writing on my ipad."
Nowt wrong with that, my version is playing solitaire and now I shall have a short walk and then 'waste more time' listening to 'In Our Time'.
Rest easy and have a stretch, that's exercise!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

You might have to wait till tomorrow for In Our Time. :smile:
Library day for me, plus more weeding this afternoon if it dries up. I spent yesterday clearing a small flower bed of docks and nettles. There is so much weeding to do!!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes, I've just realised that! I shall listen to music while I have my dinner.....
Have you noticed it's stopped raining?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Yes, and brightening nicely from the west. Here is a pic of my weeded flower garden taken just now.
20190619_090936.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Aawwww... :worship: Well done!
(I expect Col helped :laugh5: :laugh5: :laugh5: :rolleyes2: :ohno: )
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Today's mission is trying to keep warm. We have a large hailstorm approaching ( probably about two hours from now and heading straight for us). The temperature has been plummeting for the past two hours. Heater is on in the lounge and warming the lower floor of the house ( it is freezing upstairs). I'm not moving from the couch this afternoon! Let's see...I have my iPad, my phone, my book and my knitting...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Looking good Wendy.....
Maz, longest day of the year tomorrow here then we start the slide towards winter..... Deep Joy!
My friends Vicki and her husband Mick are picking me up at 09:30 and we go to Ilkley where we will do some gentle shopping and have a nice lunch. Another friend Chris will join us. They will decide where we eat but if I have a chance I want a seafood lunch.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I too have spent two pleasant afternoons and early evenings between activities, weeding and tidying the garden and my pots. The pots have all been weeded, and pellet slow release fertiliser added. A few garden plants have been oru ed back and a few more plants added to fill breaks in tbe foliage. I like dense planting, less room for weeds. Its pretty dense this year :laugh5:
16ED8235-AA26-46CF-910C-5F116E18A247.jpeg
D7A5EE9C-FDDA-4FFA-8688-A851757B2828.jpeg
Few flowers, lots of rotting buds! Normally in June my garden is full of beautiful colours

You may notice the pond has water in, thats the rain. Every time it stops it leaks out again :surprised:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It all looks good Sue. I notice that my Ladslove is turning brown at the edges of the fronds.. Could be too much rain or perhaps old age. It may be time to take cuttings and have a fresh start....
I am scrubbed up ready for my trip out. It's hard work!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Recovering after yesterday in Ilkley! Lovely bit of company, exercise and I have to admit it, retail therapy!
Back to reality today, Butcher's Day and veggie shopping.
I have a new book to go at as well......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

A bit of washing this morning then out to craft followed by a long lunch out with friends, being Friday. Bob is at his model engineering group tonight so I have two choices. 1. Feet up and do nothing or 2. Go to Yoga for a special free class to celebrate world yoga week. My preferred option is 1 as I don’t fancy all that exercise on a full stomach.

I never thought of Ilkley as a shopping place Stanley.

Yesterday I started cleaning up my old sewing machine. I found an article on line with some useful dos and don’ts, including products from Halfords that will clean the chrome. That will make all tge difference. I washed it down and have started oiling the wood case. Bob has played around with the lock and reckons he can make the missing key but we have actually found some on ebay. The tin of spares and accessories I bought are in a bad way but hopefully will clean up. Its quite exciting in a funny sort of way :laugh5: my youngest daughter said about my buy..’ You bought WHAT’ :surprised:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Getting my car back following the 'uninsured driver' incident. Fortunately my insurance covers me in this instance with NCD unaffected nor any excess to pay.
The car was deemed a category N total loss but I retained the salvage, got it repaired and I'm still a four figure sum up on the deal...
20190514_080957.jpg
20190621_123940.jpg
It's not perfect but it'll do for a 16 year old car.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Big Kev wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 11:56 Getting my car back following the 'uninsured driver' incident. Fortunately my insurance covers me in this instance with NCD unaffected nor any excess to pay.
The car was deemed a category N total loss but I retained the salvage, got it repaired and I'm still a four figure sum up on the deal...
It's not perfect but it'll do for a 16 year old car.
A great outcome, well done. 16 years old? I'd be very happy with that car.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm glad it was such a good result Kev. Did they nick the other driver, I forget...?
Not rushing after sleeping a bit longer than usual, it won't have harmed me!
The day is my oyster, haven't decided what to do yet.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

A day to ourselves today as Claire and Erin have decided to come tomorrow morning before Erins swimming lesson. No decisions made yet on what we will do. A bit of shopping this morning and perhaps a walk on Widdop moor this afternoon.

Yesterday evening I did a lot of renovation on the lid of my vintage sewing machine. I used two coates of mahogany scratch remover all over as the lid has faded considerably from the colour of the base. I then applied a coat of oil for dark oak wood. Leaving it to dry between all the coats. This morning it both smells and looks good. All scratches and stains have gone and its a lovely rich colour, not quite as dark as the base but much better. The base does not seem to be bare wood but is lacquered in some way so I can’t treat it the same. Today we will buy the chrome cleaner and sewing machine oil. Then slowly I can start dismantling bits and cleaning and oiling them as required. The needle in it, now removed for safety reasons looks like it was a new modern needle. I have thrown away the old reels of cotton as they were adding to the musty smell of the machine and they were nothing special from my point of view. I already have some similar that were in my great aunt’s sewing box.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 02:49 I'm glad it was such a good result Kev. Did they nick the other driver, I forget...?
I don't know, there is a police report so I presume someone is on it.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”