WHAT DID WE HAVE FOR TEA?

Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: WHAT DID WE HAVE FOR TEA?

Post by Marilyn »

I am the same, Stanley. Eat dinner at 5pm and nothing until 11am the next morning...unless we are going for a morning bike ride or hike...as I need to take into account the morning Metformin and don't want services to run too low. Then I must eat something before we take off.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I reckon that my daily spoonful of Cod Liver Oil acts as sufficient cushion fro my Metformin and it seems to work so I have my first of three as soon as I get up and the other two with my two meals of the day at 10:00 and 17:00.
Yesterday I had veggies plus a small pork pie for dinner and the same with a steak pudding for tea. Both helpings less than half a small bowl. It seems to be sufficient at the moment and I think it's good for me, I am slowly losing weight and not feeling hungry.
As I have said many times, we are all different and we must take notice and do what seems to suit us best. That's the problem with so many people, they never give a thought to what they shovel in the Pearly Gates!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Steak pudding and veggies for dinner and a small pork pie and veggies for tea.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Wraps, filled with Spinach, Steamed Chicken, Roasted Red Capsicum, Cheese and Gherkins. Yum. Don't mess with my blood sugar.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Same as yesterday......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I grilled Cumberland sausages and had sausage and veggies twice. This killed off the Colcannan and veggies I cooked at the end of last week. Catch as catch can for the rest of the week!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Full English from Barlic Bites for dinner and nothing else all day. No interest in food.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Red Alert Red Alert Red Alert

Don't buy Singletons TRUFFLE CHEDDAR slices - available only from Sainsbury's.

I've never tasted a truffle or truffle oil, but seen it revered to god like status on many cookery TV programmes, so when I saw it in Sainsbury's last evening ready sliced - I gave it a go.

I ate a couple of slices, and didn't like it. Strange taste. Put the rest in the fridge. Opened the fridge door this morning, and the smell was powerful. May have to decontaminate the entire fridge. Had to throw away the contents of a small jug of milk which had been affected.

I rang Singletons 01772 782 112. They're in Longridge near Preston, which is an additional reason for buying it. Uncle JIm lives nearby. Phone answered immediately by a person, and I was put through to a senior cheese man. He said it's supposed to be like that - it's an acquired taste, and you either love it or hate it. I said put me down as a hater.

He said he was on a panel of ten who do 'shelf life tastings' on a daily basis and at the last meeting, all ten said they didn't like it. I said I think there's a message in there somewhere. He insisted it was selling well. I said how many have phoned you to say how delicious it was? Answer was 'none'. I rest my case.

I said I hated throwing food away, but it would probably happen.

I think I'll take caviar and oysters off my list of 'foods to try' . Trust your instincts. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I bought a small bottle of Truffle Oil when we were on holiday, Tripps. I keep it in the pantry and it has a tight seal. Ive tried it a few times in mashed potato...and while I wouldn't rave about the "earthy" flavour it gives, I don't find it unpleasant. ( I don't think I use enough...being cautious). But it was on my bucket list, so I tried it. ( can't imagine it was in Cheese)
It says on the bottle that it is nice on pizza of all things. I must be more adventurous with it. (Must use it up...it wasn't cheap)
Another thing on my bucket list is Saffron. Never tried it.
Wet/cold/windy here. Large pot of Savoury Mince and Veg on a low burner, slowly developing its own thick gravy. Nice on toast on a winter night in front of the fire.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Roger Perry once fed me on truffles straight from France, I didn't like them at all. Tip, best way to transport them is in rice in a sealed jar.... Caviare is very tasty if you like salty fish.

Maz sent two pics....

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I like Caviar, only in tiny amounts, on Smoked Salmon.
The Truffle Oil I have is found by Black Labrador Dogs. (Margaret River region of Western Australia)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No great interest in food yesterday. Had one Cumbereland Sausage for breakfast but knew I should eat more so at teatime I made myself have a battered cod fillet , a few chunky chips and mushy peas.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 01:40 Roger Perry once fed me on truffles straight from France, I didn't like them at all.
In that case I'll spare you plan B which quickly passed through my mind - why not post it to SCG for a second opinion. I've got it captured in an airtight bag now, but I swear I can still smell it in the fridge. I may have to have counselling, or perform an exorcism. :smile:

Now to happier news. I tried this company yesterday ParsleyBox. I had a flier in something I bought from Cotton Traders, with what seemed like a good deal. I have the occasional ready meal when I can't be bothered cooking, so I phoned my order, and was answered immediately by a human - always a good start - and ordered and payed. It was delivered without fuss to my front porch in less than 24 hours from Livingstone in Scotland.

The unique selling point for me was that they don't have to go in the freezer, which is small and full, just in a cupboard. They are cooked 'sous vide' too, and have a six month shelf life. . Anyway I've had the 'lamb hotpot' tonight which was OK with some extra fresh veg.

PS I've just found that sous vide means under vacuum. I bet vide is related to void.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Looks ok, Trippy. I'm thinking those "bundles" are very reasonable for older folk who don't want to fuss with cooking. My husband would live off stuff like that permanently if anything happened to me.
I did my usual Friday routine. Cleaned out the fridge and Veg Keeper, ready for a shop tomorrow. Made a big pot of Cauliflower Cheese Soup (dinner sorted!)

Our rubbish collection had changed significantly. No food to go in household waste now. Every last organic thing from a crust of bread to bones from a Sunday Roast must go in the green organic waste bin along with lawn clippings and garden waste. I keep a big bowl on the kitchen bench and run out and empty it in the organic bin twice a day. The whole system works well, but it does take a few mins morning and night to sort out what goes where. Soft plastics, such as a bag you may buy bread/fruit or veg in are collected and I drop them off in the special recycle bin outside the supermarket every Saturday. I've noticed a significant reduction in the household waste bin contents. It only gets collected once a fortnight now, and there is plenty of room left in it, and it doesn't smell because there is nothing organic rotting in there. I've also noticed the green waste bin doesn't smell too bad. The lawn clippings tend to keep the rotting contents smelling sweet. I was surprised at that.
We have been "plastic bag free" for years here. I'm so glad this next step has been taken to make us all responsible for our rubbish. Recycling must start at point of use...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Give the truffles to the poet.....
Had 200gm of pickled herring and some plum tomatoes for dinner and fish chips and peas for tea.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A small beef pie and a few plum tomatoes for dinner. Steak pudding and mixed veggies for tea. Must get some more of those tomatoes, they are lovely!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Our supermarket tomatoes are horrible at present, and so overpriced. Nothing nicer than a Tomato Sandwich with a good quality tomato.
I wrapped a Chicken Breast in Short Cut Bacon and popped it in the oven. I've just sliced it all and popped it in the fridge to go in our Wrap tonight with Chilli Sauce and homemade coleslaw.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Slightly awed that my blood sugar is only 6.0 tonight, two hours after dinner. I feel quite full and satisfied, but I have not been that low before.
See how we go....
One of my medication instructions says "Metformin may be cut in half " ( which is what ii was considering)
Another instruction says "do not cut Metformin in half". Confusing, as there is a midline score down the Metformin!
Too late for tonight, as I have already taken a whole one.
Might go down to half measure in the morning.
See how we go...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If you are doing that well Maz, stick with what you are doing. Metformin has other beneficial side effects apart from its effect on blood sugar.
I had steak pudding and peas for dinner and during the day I went to the Co-op and filled my boots with sweet plum tomatoes. Including some Fairtrade ones from N Africa which were four different colours and all lovely, bursting with flavour. For tea I had them, a small beef pie with brown sauce, two boiled eggs and some choriza sausage. Lovely flavours and really enjoyable.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Quiche and Veg tonight.
I have gone down to half measures with Metformin. My after dinner blood sugar will be telling!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Metformin doesn't work on a meal to meal basis, it has a cumulative effect on the liver and its release of glucose into the blood.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I figured that, Wendy. But I have had some low spots in the mornings lately, and decreasing blood sugar readings after evening meal. When I originally went to hospital with excruciating pain, I did explain I had never before had an elevated blood sugar, and no blood test prior to the pain supported a diagnosis of Diabetes. But I had to go with the experts ( certainly a blood sugar of 22+ that was not responding to Insulin had to be accepted as fact) but as my symptoms resolve, slower than expected, I have had drop after drop of blood sugar...even as far as getting a bit sweaty and shaky in the mornings. Some nurses in the hospital voiced my high blood sugar readings were directly related to pain. I was comforted by their thoughts, but not in a position to fight anyone of cousrse!
My GP promised me they would challenge the diagnosis of Diabetes by withdrawing Metformin. ( he seems to have lost the plot about that promise)....
So I shall do it myself. (And keep a close eye). I must add, I have had NO blood tests since January/February ( why?) I think it is because I have been cast as Diabetic and get handed a form as a matter of course next visit.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Undecided tonight as blood sugar 6.8, two hours after dinner. ( had Quiche with pastry though)
Let's just see how it goes.
I am not silly and will monitor things closely.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Marilyn wrote: 14 Jul 2019, 09:10 I think it is because I have been cast as Diabetic
Not affected directly, but I queried with a GP fairly recently whether diabetes could be abated by large weight loss, as we are often told it can in the media, and she said to me that 'a diagnosis of diabetes is never reversed'.

The description 'pre - diabetic' also puzzles me.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There is more conflicting information there than I can handle. I shall just keep on doing what seems to suit me best and that includes Metformin and Ramipril.
I had exactly the same to eat yesterday as the day before. Those tomatoes are lovely!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”