TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Whyperion »

Given the amount of hedgerow and similar fruit setting anyone think there will be a long or deep cold spell in November into December ?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That would be Wendy getting it in the neck Ian!
Fresher day yesterday but conversely, closer in the house as we are holding the heat from the previous days. Very pleasant outside. At 20:30 it was overcast but dry. First thing this morning it was cool, dry, calm and overcast, it hasn't changed since. The glass rose slightly yesterday but is back on 1004mb this morning. The forecast is for an overcast rainy day and the showers could be heavy and thundery at times. The mainly NW wind is constant and light and gives a high of 17C and a low of 14C with only a slight chill later in the day as it strengthens slightly. The outlook is for similar weather over the next five days at least.
04:45. A light shower of rain, very big drops.....
06:00. We've had a pleasant walk round Valley Gardens. Heavy overcast when we went out, so heavy the sensor on the outside light tripped and switched the light on, that's a first this summer. A light NW wind and intermittent rain all the way round but it's refreshing rather than a nuisance. All told, a good morning and it is still good growing weather.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The story yesterday was the gloom and almost constant light rain, dark early. At 20:30 it was dry with a light breeze but first thing this morning we had very heavy rain, It has bated now and we just have calm murky but dry weather with a solid overcast. The glass is down on 1000mb but has started rising slowly. The forecast is for heavy overcast and rain at any time today, at times, heavy. The constant west wind is light all day and gives a high of 18C and a low of 15C tonight with negligible wind chill. We needed some serious rain and it looks as though we will get it today.
06:05. Slightly brighter than yesterday, the outside light didn't come on. We have a solid overcast and a very light mizzle, more a mist actually. Calm and quite pleasant. The Corn Mill Dam betrays what has happened during the night, we have a heavy flow. Mother Nature will be enjoying this weather even if we don't so don't whinge about it!
The outlook is for similar if drier weather.
09:00. Been for our later trot on the Green.. Still mizzling. Deep Joy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday we had rain on and off all day. At 20:30 it was raining heavily and this was true first thing this morning. I have just had a look outside and we still have light rain. The glass is rock steady on a shade under 1000mb. The forecast is for this light rain to persist until about 07:00 and then brighten up to give a dry day with sunny spells. The constant moderate SW wind gives a high of 20C and a low of 14C tonight with negligible wind chill. The outlook is for the warm humid weather to continue and tomorrow and Wednesday we could have thunder.
06:15. Heavy overcast making it very gloomy. Calm, mild and light rain, the flow over the Corn Mill Dam is again increased, we have had a lot of rain and the water authorities will no doubt welcome it. Nit the most cheerful of walks but I have seen worse. At least we have no wind driving the rain.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Blue sky and sunshine down here in Kent, a nice day to travel back to Barlick :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It improved here in the afternoon and was very pleasant. At 20:30 it was mild, calm, overcast and dry. Brighter evening than the day before. First thing this morning it was calm and dry but I think overcast, just looked out and still calm and dry but with a very angry looking cover of broken black cloud. The glass rose slowly and steadily yesterday but stopped during the night and settled on 1002mb, it has started falling again. The forecast is for a mixed and unsettled day, we will get the lot from full sun to possible thunderstorms. The wind is basically an easterly and starts light becoming moderate during the day. The high will be 21C and the low 15C with only a slight wind chill depending on wind strength. This looks like the pattern for the rest of the week.
05:50. Back from a dry walk on a calm pleasant morning, some large gaps in the cloud coming in from the SE almost allowing the sun to break though but never quite. In between there are large masses of angry broken cloud. This makes the forecast of unsettled weather look very likely.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Will I have time to get the grass cut this morning? I need a couple of dry hours. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If you get out there quickly you have a chance Wendy but it won't be long before the dark clouds win, it's getting dark as I write....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It took longer than I thought.... Just got up after my sleep and thunder rolls round the hills and it has just started raining.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I just got home in time from a chat with my solicitor, I was not dressed for the weather so would have got a bit wet.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I managed to get the grass cut by 11.30am. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good for both..... The grass will be growing again!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 20:30 we had broken cloud and light rain, this morning it is dry and I think scattered cloud but I can't see it yet. The glass is down slightly on 999mb. The forecast is bright overcast but dry until noon then a chance of scattered showers. There is a yellow rain warning for the whole of the North. The west wind will ve constant and starts light before becoming moderate giving a high of 19C and a low of 14C. Negligible wind chill. Growy weather if not high summer. Last day of July..... Only 146 days until Xmas.......
06:10. Not a bad walk on a calm mild dry morning with broken overcast. That's about it really. From the news it seems we were lucky yesterday to avoid some heavy rain and in some cases, flash flooding as in North Yorkshire. More rain later today but with luck it will follow the recent pattern of scattered showers.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A day of scattered showers but we were lucky, none of them heavy. At 20:30 it was overcast but dry and mild. The same this morning first thing and I have just looked outside, it is clear, calm, mild and dry, a nice change! The glass is up on 1011mb and still, rising. The forecast is for a batter day, dry and sunny until late afternoon when there is a chance of scattered showers. The light NW wind gives a high of 21C and a low of 12C tonight with a negligible wind chill despite the direction. Better weather and the outlook is for a week of similar days.
06:15. A pleasant walk in the company of Catherine and her whippet lurcher Pepe. Jack and he are great mates. I was out early and at 05:10 the outside light triggered even though the sky is clear. A very good morning.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very little rain in the afternoon, a nice day. At 20:30 it was dry under broken cloud with a light NW breeze. Seemed the same this morning first thing and I have just looked out, it is calm clear and dry. The glass is up at a shade over 1015mb. The forecast is for a bright day with plenty of sun and maybe an odd light shower later but I doubt it. The wind is light and Northerly and gives a high of 20C and a low of 14C with negligible wind chill. Looks like a nice day and the outlook is for similar weather with perhaps a touch more rain later in the week.
06:15. A very pleasant walk down to the butchers under a clear sky and with hardly any wind. The sun has come through and up to now it's looking like a very acceptable day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was dry and very pleasant. At 20:30 it was dry, light breeze and broken cloud. Same this morning first thing and it hasn't changed, 60F in old money in the back yard. The glass is rock steady on 1015mb. The forecast is exactly the same as yesterday, bright and dry with cloud but plenty of sun. The constant easterly wind gives a high of 21C and a low of 15C with no wind chill of note. The outlook has moved the heavy rain and thunderstorms expected tomorrow to Tuesday which could be good news for Whaley Bridge.
06:15. Very little to report. Just a pleasant quiet walk in thriving nature and under a broken cloudy sky with the very red sun trying to break through from the East but not quite succeeding yet. A good day.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had a loose, almost thunder rain, shower at about 16:00. I hope I was right about the decreased chance of heavy rain today. At 20:30 we had light rain. First thing this morning it was calm and dry, at the moment we have dark broken overcast, it's calm and almost a hint of rain in the air. The glass is down at a shade over 1009mb. The forecast is for a day of mixed weather and it looks as though the Met office have changed their mind and we are promised periods of heavy thundery rain and sunny intervals all day. The forecast for Tuesday which was bad yesterday has been downgraded. Whaley Bridge may still be in danger. The light SE wind is constant and gives a high of 21C and a low of 14C. Very slight wind chill. We could be in for a wet walk and a thunderstorm should not surprise us today.
06:10. Back from a quiet walk. We set off in light rain under a ragged dark overcast but as we progressed the rain stopped and the weak low sun broke through from the east, it's very close and humid. Jack was a bit perturbed by a small pink tricycle neatly parked on the side of the path though Valley Gardens. He is always suspicious of any deviation from the norm. Unusually for a Sunday morning Hutchinson's Pie Shop was lit and busy. He must have a bulk order for something like a wedding.
I don't want to be accused of crying wolf but thinking about Whaley Bridge, this is just the sort of weather that produces unlikely and severe events like the Barlick Flood of 1932. Thunderstorms are, by their very nature, unpredictable and can sometimes surprise us. All we can do is hope for the best.....
08:50. We've had our second, shorter walk. The sun is shining and we have a clearing sky but it is this injection of energy that will brew up whatever we get later. I also note that the clock on the bus shelter which has been stopped for months is moving again. Only problem is it says that it is twenty five minutes past twelve.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We were lucky yesterday, the only evidence of thunder activity I saw came at 19:30 when for a brief moment we lost satellite signal and this is often a symptom of thunder. At 20:30 it was mild and dry with broken cloud. Same first thing this morning and looking outside, some more cloud has developed but it's still dry. The glass is down to 1001mb. The forecast is for some early rain and then a bright day with cloud but plenty of sun. The constant SW wind is moderate and gives a high of 18C and a low of 13C with a slight wind chill. At the moment I have the feeling that we will escape the early rain. We shall see when we have our early walk!
05:50. The forecast was right, we went out in light rain and a SW wind and though it bated once for a while, it's raining again. Even so, a quiet pleasant walk, I have had much worse.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast was correct, we had a dry day with plenty of sun. At 20:30 it was breezy, dry and mild. Same first thing this morning and at the moment is is still dry, the wind has lessened and we have heavy broken cloud. The glass is down slightly on 999mb. The forecast is for it to be dry (just) until 11:00 when we can expect heavier rain and possibly thunder giving way to showers and sunny spells in the evening. The constant SW wind is moderate and will give a high of 18C and a low of 13C with a slight wind chill.
05:50. I ignored the overcast and the forecast and didn't bother with a waterproof. Very heavy cloud as we left and spits of rain on the wind but as we walked round clear spells came in quickly from the SW on the moderate breeze and we came home dry.
Remember the pink tricycle in Valley Gardens.... This morning I see it is in the bed of Butts Beck. I thought the days when we used our becks as waste disposers was long gone. evidently not.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

18C sounds ok. Will it be vest on, or vest off? :laugh5:
I think we may just make 14C today here, but we have sunny spells, and I am about to dislodge Febby from his computer chair for a constitutional. The washing all dried on the line before lunch. Can't complain.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Vest on Maz......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 04:02 This morning I see it is in the bed of Butts Beck. I thought the days when we used our becks as waste disposers was long gone. evidently not.
Pendle Council now charge £10 for collecting large items of household goods. This is not as bad as it sounds and covers three large items in one lift. Our 3 piece suit is now waiting collection all for £10 not bad really.
Perhaps you should start a black list of items that Barlickers throw in the beck.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It would be a full time job P!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 05:10 Vest on Maz......
Wimp.

My clout is still cast.

But then again, I live in the sub-tropical South. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wimp or not David, I seem to be surviving.....
Funny day yesterday, it never really got round to doing anything significant apart from occasionally getting very gloomy and then brightening up. At 20:30 it was breezy, mild and dry. First thing this morning it was the same with scattered large clouds, stars shining in between and dry but with evidence of a light shower in the night. Just looked out and the cloud is much heavier, we have had a light rain shower. The glass is down on 995mb, not a good sign. The forecast is for rain until early afternoon interspersed by sunny intervals, the moderate breeze will ensure the showers move across quickly so it remains to be seen what the proportions will be. From 14:00 onwards it should be dryer and more sunny. The constant moderate SW wind gives a high of 17C and a low of 13C with a -2 or -3c wind chill all day. The outlook is for more of the same with a very mixed day on Friday, once again they forecast thunder.
06:15. It was raining as we set off but bated almost immediately as the fast moving clouds brought clear spells in from the west. By the time we were in Town Square getting near home the sun was almost breaking through the clear patches which were in the east by then but behind me heavier cloud was following and we had quite a heavy shower in the last five minutes of the walk. I suspect this is going to be the pattern all day, fast moving clouds and clear spells.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”