COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Post by PanBiker »

I have seen more Open Reach guys in our area here on the Croft than I had in the last twelve months of my recent broadband woes. Last week there was a guy up the pole at the bottom of the street, yesterday they were at the other end of Commercial street and they are back up the pole again today. Could they have actually come to the same conclusion that I told them about this time last year? Surely not.... :geek:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good: Another result......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The site appears to be back on song at the moment.... very fast response.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It's slow here this morning... [but by the time I wrote this post it was fast again!]

I'm not surprised Trump is concerned about this deal, I would be too...
`Pentagon: Major Amazon or Microsoft Jedi deal delayed'
`The Pentagon has signalled a delay to a decision on whether to award a lucrative cloud-computing contract to Amazon or Microsoft. The two companies are the last ones in the running to provide artificial intelligence-based analysis and host classified military secrets among other services over a 10-year period. The deal could be worth more than $10bn (£8.2bn). The delay follows concerns raised by President Donald Trump last month. He told reporters: "I'm getting tremendous complaints about the contract with the Pentagon and with Amazon." The president added that Oracle and IBM - two companies previously knocked out of the bidding process - had been among those raising concerns.'
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

He is also railing against the EU proposals to tax such companies on local trade volumes and ignore any tax paid in other jurisdictions.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The site is painfully slow again this morning. All other internet and computer operations are normal. It must be our server.
I have been watching the latest BA computer failure and the thing that troubles me is that there is no onus on a company who experiences such a melt down to state clearly what went wrong. Could it be because the cause is bad management and sloppy maintenance? In other words are they starving their IT department of resources like cash to pay competent staff?
It is not good enough to simply apologise for 'a computer failure'. Too many customers lose out financially and they deserve an explanation even if that exposes the company to blame and calls for compensation.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Same slow response on OG for me earlier this morning but OK now.
I spoke too soon, it's still slow but better than early on.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I was denied access just now, 'incorrect password' I used the reminder and the system sent me a new one...

Not sure what it was upset about as my password is 'remembered'...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I haven't had that trouble but it's much better this morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Too many organisations on the web don't understand the privacy laws and are giving away personal data...
`GDPR privacy law exploited to reveal personal data' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I don't fully understand the link Tiz but that's not surprising and doesn't prevent me from thinking that on balance what was disclosed is accurate. It's an example of how complicated our modern online world is and how the only logical response for a 'normal' person is to keep buggering on regardless and trust to luck!
It also confirms for me the accuracy of what Janet told me many years ago when she worked in the Compliance Department of a large American merchant bank in London that on the whole IT was underfunded and often ignored because management didn't understand the advice that was being passed on to them by their watchdogs. Her focus at that time was on the dodgy algorithms that were allowed and the only question asked was "will it increase profits".
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I use Audials to record videos for posterity. Youtube ones have a habit of being taken off after a while. It stopped working recently. The screen I used to see was different, and the options weren't available. I have the 2016 version, and they are continually trying to get me to upgrade to the 2019 model I have resisted because it does all I need, and I subscribe to Hutber's Law - Improvement = deterioration. :smile:

I found a chat board where someone else had the same problem - the action windows were 'greyed out' . So it wasn't just me. Would they be so devious to disable my program via an unseen 'update' to encourage me to spend an additional subscription? I began to wonder.

Anyway - it works again now, but something has changed in the functionality of the software. Did I really just use that word? :smile: So all's well, but I remain suspicious.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're beginning to sound like a geek David.....
As for your suspicions you may be being manipulated, use that as a working hypothesis. Almost certainly correct!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Insomnia strikes and as there have been questions about the performance of the site ib the wee small hours I thought I'd try it. Seems OK
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry to hear you can't sleep Pluggy. You are right, the only thing that is a bit tardy is posting pics or accessing the gallery. Go back to bed!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It's fast for me this morning but was slow yesterday during the day.

A case of new isn't always better?...
`US Navy to ditch touch screen ship controls' LINK
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

According to this site : https://www.ipneighbour.com/#/lookup/on ... lick.co.uk

We share our server with 110 other websites from all over Europe.. Care to hazard a guess who is guzzling resources. ?

My old hosting I let go when I took over oneguy was a lot worse (about 400 +) I remember. I can't find much info on how far ISPs are prepared to push one machine. Its complicated by the fact that they are constantly upgrading machines to be able to push the figure. Most sites are still using IPV4 addresses which are now severely limited. Stretch it and stretch it again is the name of the game.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Pluggy wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 14:34 Care to hazard a guess who is guzzling resources. ?
My bet is 247 gambling. but to be sure you'd have to know when they joined the server list. We are looking at about two weeks ago.
Christian

Post by Christian »

Would it be worth looking to put OGFB on its own low cost VPS? Or maybe an AWS instance?

I'm not volunteering my services here! I've got enough on!!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good job we have members who are prepared to volunteer.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Windows 10 now installing a major update. So far its taken 1½ hours to get to 30% installation. Say goodbye to your computer for half a day if you click the 'install now' button.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

At least an i3 processor, 8GB of RAM and a SSD for windows 10. With that it will do a major feature update in about 20 - 25 minutes. With a more typical Pentium or Celeron especially an old one, 4GB or less of RAM and a hard drive expect 3 hours +

Unless you're a long way behind , Win 10 will have updated from version 1809 to 1903.

If you're buying a new laptop don't spend less than £400 if you want to keep your sanity.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Pluggy wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 08:49 With a more typical Pentium or Celeron, 4GB of ram and a hard drive expect 3 hours +
That's the one I've got. The annoying thing was that there was no indication that this was a major update before you set off. Once in you are told 'this may take some time' and ' your computer will switch of and on several times. So here I am on my steam driven desktop.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

VPS and AWS are just different ways of sharing a server multiple ways. Running just one operating system and and just sharing the hosting virtualisation (like we're doing now) is probably the best way to go. Or find a more expensive package where they don't put so many hosting packges per machine. Being a 'better the devil you know' man I'd stay put. I can easily envisage throwing a lot of time and money at it and winding up worse off than we are now. Occasional performance bottlenecks we can live with.

I don't have an iron grip on OGFB, Ian has already taken over the day to day maintenance and encouraging donations etc and just pays me to keep the hosting going. Anyone who thinks they can do a better job is more than welcome to take over and do it any way they want.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Pluggy wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 09:14 I don't have an iron grip on OGFB, Ian has already taken over the day to day maintenance and encouraging donations etc and just pays me to keep the hosting going. Anyone who thinks they can do a better job is more than welcome to take over and do it any way they want.
Indeed and nothing is cast in stone. I am now on the annual MRI rollercoaster with my brain surgeon buddy and owing to the nature of my journey, circumstances could change in an instant. We don't bother about that though at the moment just crack on. I am in agreement with your feelings though.
Ian

Return to “Technology & Communication”