Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

"Its the last big holiday of the summer"
Ominous words Sue and backed up by the way it is getting darker early in the morning.
Glad you're feeling better but use your head and look after yourself....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Here, summer is ruled not by the weather but by when the kids go back to school, LA RENTREE, ie the first week in September whatever the weather the BBQs will go away, summer tables put inside, autumn attire worn. It makes us laugh.
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm ruled by the sun and the weather and at the moment that's suggesting to me we are entering Back End!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I am shaking the shorts out, ready for our treck North. Felt a warm(ish) breeze today. Spring is coming!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 15 Aug 2019, 07:16 I'm ruled by the sun and the weather and at the moment that's suggesting to me we are entering Back End!
Hasn’t it been like that most of the summer. The weather we have been having is more like late September, early October. Its 20 degrees, gone very cloudy and damp in the air, not as forecast at all. So much for my two big loads of washing which have bern out three hours now and not drying!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Deciding which waterproofs to pack for our camping trip to the Yorkshire coast next week. Regardless of what weather we get at the moment it's still Summer until September 23rd. :extrawink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sue, what we are experiencing at the moment are the consequences of the Jet Stream departing from its usual pattern and taking a more southerly course. Opinions vary as to why this is happening but a growing body of opinion is that this is a result of disturbed weather and ocean current patterns world wide. Only time will tell but it looks as though this may well be the cause.
Today I could be entertaining a grand daughter.... The programme is not clear yet.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Yes I had heard that about the jet stream Stanley and when we had a cool damp summer two years ago it was the same cause. This morning is thick thick mist and rather cold. Normally this would burn off by 11.00 to reveal a hot day, but that is not forecast. 18-20 appears to be the forecast maximum.

Every year there is an annual photograph exhibition in our lical town. Its a huge affair with photos the size od sides of houses. Hundreds of them through the commune and in some very pretty places. One of our friends is in the U3A photography group, so today we shall be looking at the exhibition and generally visiting La Gacilly
https://www.festivalphoto-lagacilly.com ... la-gacilly
Last edited by Sue on 16 Aug 2019, 06:03, edited 1 time in total.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I once worked with an old publicity man on an exhibition and he called very large prints 'sucker size'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 03:00 Sue, what we are experiencing at the moment are the consequences of the Jet Stream departing from its usual pattern and taking a more southerly course. Opinions vary as to why this is happening but a growing body of opinion is that this is a result of disturbed weather and ocean current patterns world wide. Only time will tell but it looks as though this may well be the cause.
I happened to be looking at a Wikipedia page on jet streams this morning. It's worth a look and has some good graphics, together with details of the long history of studying the streams. I didn't know that the polar stream shifts north in summer and south in winter (and vice versa in the southern hemisphere of course). Jet streams
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I once experienced the power of the jet stream over the Atlantic on a flight back from LA in a 747. It was almost empty and the Captain did that old fashioned thing of coming back into the cabin and talking to the passengers as there were only about 40 of us. He buttonholed me because he lived in Gargrave and knew I was from nearby. I asked him why the plane occasionally shook itself like a dog getting water out of its coat and he said that they had turned the wick up to take advantage of an abnormally strong jet stream to get back a slot they had lost about 3 months before. We cut over 2 hours off the flight time and he said it would be a speed record but nobody would ever publicise it.
As for what I shall be doing... Probably getting wet every time I go outside like yesterday! One thing I have to do is get some Epsom Salts so I shall have to do some research.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Very wet today. Food shopping this morning and then a visit to an interesting place this afternoon. Its a place you would like Stanley. Its full of interesting working models, buildings, games and machines all made out of recycled material. Everything is carefully thought out and engineered. The working models are large with all moving parts. Everything is handcrafted and mesmerising when working. The models and games are aimed at both children and adults

https://www.poeteferrailleur.com/
Last edited by Sue on 17 Aug 2019, 17:17, edited 2 times in total.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That does look interesting Sue. I'm all in favour of rescuing lumps of metal that are just rubbish to others. China compared me the other day to Cleggy in Last of the Summer Wine continually repainting his front gate. I shall ignore him!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Visiting Burnley General Eye Department with a bit of an issue with my right eye. I got an emergency appointment at my optician on Wednesday after noticing flashing light on the edge of my vision and new floaters. This can either be either a common aging thing as the gel in your eye dries out or the start of retinal detachment. The scary thing was that the optician found the pressure in that eye to be quite high which isn't something that has been flagged up before. She was having a lot of trouble using the machine that does the measuring and I am keeping my fingers crossed that she got it wrong, but who knows. Burnley didn't think I needed to go in immediately and booked me in today at 10.30am. The initial problem hasnt got any worse thank heavens, in fact I think it has settled a bit.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 17 Aug 2019, 06:24 Visiting Burnley General Eye Department with a bit of an issue with my right eye. I got an emergency appointment at my optician on Wednesday after noticing flashing light on the edge of my vision and new floaters. This can either be either a common aging thing as the gel in your eye dries out or the start of retinal detachment. The scary thing was that the optician found the pressure in that eye to be quite high which isn't something that has been flagged up before. She was having a lot of trouble using the machine that does the measuring and I am keeping my fingers crossed that she got it wrong, but who knows. Burnley didn't think I needed to go in immediately and booked me in today at 10.30am. The initial problem hasnt got any worse thank heavens, in fact I think it has settled a bit.
I had the same symptoms Wendy, it's quite scary. Mine turned out to be the common ageing thing fortunately. Hopefully all will be good :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Thanks Kev, it's always reassuring to know that other people have gone through the same thing! My brother had it a few years ago in one eye and then the other. It's the pressure thing that has me more worried, the optician scared me by saying that putting drops in to dilate the pupil could bring on acute glaucoma and she would have to "blue light" me to Burnley. Looking back she really shouldn't have said that!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Sue wrote: 17 Aug 2019, 05:23 Very wet today. Food shopping this morning and then a visit to an interesting place this afternoon. Its a place you would like Stanley. Its full of interesting working models, buildings, games and machines all made out of recycled material. Everything is carefully thought out and engineered. The working models are large with all moving parts. Everything is handcrafted and mesmerising when working. The models and games are aimed at both children and adults

https://www.poeteferrailleur.com/
It was not disappointing and the rain held off the three hours when we were there.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

What is the verdict regarding your eye, Wendy?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Commiserations Wendy. I get funny things in the periphery of my vision and yes, my detached retina started like that. I note them and ignore them but one of these days.... I agree, your optician sounds as though she ought to be shelf stacking......
Might go and paint the front gate :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Marilyn wrote: 17 Aug 2019, 23:31 What is the verdict regarding your eye, Wendy?
No damage to the retina but the pressure in both my eyes is very high. I got a thorough examination and there is no damage to the optic nerve yet. I should get a phone call on Monday about more tests and an appointment to see the consultant. The weekend emergency clinic must be run by a locum. I have drops to put in to reduce the pressure.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Hope the eye problem is OK Wendy.

It was a wet day yesterday with a dry window in the afternoon, which luckily we could take advantage of for our visit to the automaton exhibition Today should be dry and warm so its a day for washing and then lunch out followed by a trip to yet another local Breton fete. This is a celebration of old farming and vintage skills, with dancing, music from Breton bag pipes and the traditional meal and fireworks. We won’t be staying for the latter two as they are in the evening. The week seems to be passing quickly.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Those drops are very efficient Wendy but I'm sorry to hear your pressures are up and I hope someone can suggest a reason.... I had my share of eye problems a year or two ago as you will remember but it all turned out OK in the end so keep your pecker up!
You need to get home Sue after a day as full as that. No wonder the week is flying by!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nothing planned yet. Paint the front gate again?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Food, fete, and sit in tbe sun yesterday. I did loads of washing and it nearly all dried. Not completely decided today but may go to the museum of the Resistance this afternoon.http://www.resistance-bretonne.com/. its going to be a warm 10 days which is a nice way to end our stay
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The day has started as usual with a bit of light cooking.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”