WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Tizer »

Tripps wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 09:34 The beauty of the others [apps] is that it is so quick and easy to install, try them, then uninstall if you don't use them.
That's exactly what it's like installing and uninstalling software on an Ubuntu Linux PC! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Anyone with an interest in our power supply should find it worth listening to the first 15 minutes of the latest Inside Science programme (Radio 4). You can get the podcast here: LINK
`Following the simultaneous outages of two UK power plants last Friday, affecting nearly 1 million people across the country, we at Inside Science wanted to get back to the basics of electricity and get our heads round how the National Grid keeps the nation running. Keith Bell explains the difference between AC and DC (Alternating and Direct current), and why it's essential to keep the frequency of the grid steady at 50Hz. '
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not really into apps but yesterday when Laura visited we had Facetime with Perth. Talked to everyone
including my great grandson Alex. I shall have to get her to explain it to me and tell me how much it costs etc.
We had a good 3 hours, slagged all the family off and arranged for her to give me a full foot maintenance next week. Not much point having a medically qualified grand daughter and failing to taking advantage!
She used the FM3 to do an assessment for a job in Perth and commented on how fast it was and how quiet the house is..... She got a message back within a few minutes to say she had passed. That in itself is a small miracle.

Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

FaceTime is great fun. ( I recall suggesting it to you when your daughter was ill...but you said you preferred WhatsAp at the time). I FaceTime my son a lot.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall look into it Maz.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The death of the policeman dragged under a vehicle.... I'm getting a very uneasy feeling that there is more to this than meets the eye. Oblique references to 'a council caravan site'. Is this a Traveller's site and the PR people are being cagey about being seen to be prejudiced? Also there is an uncomfortable silence about reports he was hit twice, the second time by a police vehicle arriving at the scene. A clear denial would be good. I'm not touting a conspiracy theory, I don't know the facts, but the way it is being handled is leaving a lot of hostages to fortune......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Marilyn wrote: 17 Aug 2019, 05:15 FaceTime is great fun. ( I recall suggesting it to you when your daughter was ill...but you said you preferred WhatsAp at the time). I FaceTime my son a lot.
Facetime is predominantly an application for Apple devices and runs on IOS.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

True, Panbiker. Son and I both have Apple products. But Laura managed it on Stanley's computer????
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Not stated that Laura did Facetime on the computer, "She used the FM3 to do an assessment for a job in Perth". I'll lay odds that Facetime was via an I phone or tablet. :extrawink:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 18 Aug 2019, 03:44 The death of the policeman dragged under a vehicle.... I'm getting a very uneasy feeling that there is more to this than meets the eye. Oblique references to 'a council caravan site'. Is this a Traveller's site and the PR people are being cagey about being seen to be prejudiced? Also there is an uncomfortable silence about reports he was hit twice, the second time by a police vehicle arriving at the scene. A clear denial would be good. I'm not touting a conspiracy theory, I don't know the facts, but the way it is being handled is leaving a lot of hostages to fortune......
The two policemen had been called out in their vehicle to a burglary. One them was hit by the van while outside the vehicle, dragged underneath it, along the road, across a junction with the main road and into a lane where his body came adrift from the van and lay in the road. The van was on its way back to the travellers' site. Other police then rushed to the site and hit the body in the lane on their way there.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I hadn't seen that report Tiz. Spot on Ian it was on her phone via my router. Sorry Maz if I misled you.
Question, would it be free to talk to Oz via the router?
My dream last night that a major player in the global markets called McDonald had gone belly up and triggered a recession. Wonderful thing the human brain......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 02:12 Question, would it be free to talk to Oz via the router?
Using something like Skype would allow you to 'video call' anywhere and would use your broadband connection and would 'cost' whatever it is you pay for it. I have 'unlimited' broadband so 'Skype video call' to Oz would be inclusive.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I have an IPad. Son has an IPhone. We have unlimited Wireless Broadband to our home.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good, but I was wondering about doing what Laura did yesterday when she connected to my router to do Facetime with her mum.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 07:10 Good, but I was wondering about doing what Laura did yesterday when she connected to my router to do Facetime with her mum.
All part of your broadband 'package'.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Yes, she was using your internet. Do you have a limit? Most of my FaceTime calls last 10 -15 mins ( once a week). I could call him more than that, but he works shift work, and I have to check his shifts so I know what suits us both.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Perhaps the reason OG slows down is that there are so many people out there using the Internet to watch TV and phone friends that the bandwidth gets clogged? :extrawink:

I suppose the use of Skype for phone calls might be why so many phone interviews on Radio 4 are now garbled?
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

No one has home phones any more. They cease to function once the National Broadband gets rolled down your street!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have unlimited broadband but was wondering if the phone provider charges for Facetime.
My landline still works Maz and is totally reliable.
Broadband is like roads and rail, the more it is available the more it needs investment and I suspect that at the root, that is the problem. Overloading existing networks to avoid the cost of more capacity.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Is your internet fibre optic, or does it run off a telephone connection/router? (Ours is fibre optic cable, high speed). I don't get any charge for FaceTime. My son does not have fibre optic cable yet, as it hasn't been rolled out in his area yet. So it eats into his data allowance on his mobile phone, so occasionally he needs to buy more data. When he visits us, he just links into our wireless broadband and saves his own data allowance. We both have Apple products.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Copper connection via the landline to fibre in the local distribution box. Gives us over 40mps.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 20 Aug 2019, 02:44 I have unlimited broadband but was wondering if the phone provider charges for Facetime.
No, it's only another type of data stream same as any other usage of the bandwidth as long as you don't have a data cap you can use whatever app you want. You will need an Apple product to use it though as stated previously, (other video streaming applications are available), both parties need to be using the same.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Our landline works very well and that's important - mobile signal in our neighbourhood is flakey; when people call us on their mobiles we often can't understand half the conversation.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Don't miss the three episodes of this BBC Radio 4 programme `Three Vicars Talking. We listened to the first one, `Death', and it's hilarious. The three really are vicars and are well-known for their humour. They have lots of tales to tell of their experiences. You can listen to it on this link now and the other two episodes will follow on Monday mornings. Not to be missed! Three Vicars Talking
`Three Vicars Talking brings together the Reverends Richard Coles, Kate Bottley and Giles Fraser to swap curate shoptalk about three of the most significant roles carried out by Church of England vicars... the hatch, the match and the dispatch. In a three-part series, the well known broadcasters combine gallows humour with pathos, as they chat about the clerical role in births, marriage and death. In this first episode they start at the end with funerals.'
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I heard the trail for it but not the programme. I shall seek it out Tiz.
5Kg of Epsom Salts arrived yesterday. Being an Imperial man I hadn't quite grasped how much this is. I could treat Wendy's horses for quite a while. Must look up any other uses for it.
Pedicure session delayed until tomorrow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”