TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Cathy
VIP Member

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Cathy »

Had a lovely walk this morning, it's only 16C today but warm bright and sunny. Said good morning to a few people working in their front gardens. Bees, flowers and blossom everywhere.

I 'told off' one garden maintenance guy because he was putting chunks of concrete garden edging into someone's kitchen wheelie bin. That's a no no.

Anyway, today is a lovely glimpse that Spring really is coming :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Intermittent rain all day. At 20:30 it was mild, a light breeze, 100% overcast and light rain. First thing this morning it was mild and dry. Flags damp from an earlier shower. Very thin high cloud with the moon easily visible though it. Just had a look and it is still the same but with more cloud. Dawn light in the east which is a change!
The glass is up slightly on 1013mb. The forecast is for a dry day with bright overcast and sunny spells. The constant SW wind is light to moderate and gives a high of 20C and a low of 13C with negligible wind chill. This is an improvement and the outlook is for more of the same and warmer and brighter.
06:15. A much more pleasant walk than of late. It was 100% overcast when we went out but as we walked round the cloud thinned and good clear patches are coming in from the west. No sun as yet. It is calm, mild and dry. Damp underfoot but drying up slowly. I have little doubt I will be able to hang some of my washing outside! That in itself is an improvement.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a total change, lovely drying day and at 20:30 it was 50% clear, calm, mild and dry. Same this morning. We have had our walk under a clear sky, mild, calm, a heavy dew and the promise of a perfect late summer day. The bedding is in the washer! The glass rose slowly all day yesterday but this morning is down a touch on 1015mb. The forecast is dead simple, full sun all day. The constant light southerly wind will give a high of 25C and a low of 16C and very unusual, at the moment the influence of the wind gives us a bonus of +1C! I can't remember ever having seen that before. The outlook is for similar weather. This could be Indian Summer!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You all know what yesterday was. At 20:30 we had a clear sky, calm mild and dry. First thing this morning it was the same with a brilliant crescent moon. Just looked outside and it is still the same. 65F in old money in the back yard. The glass is down slightly on 1014mb. The forecast is simple, full sun all day. The light easterly wind gives a high of 26C and a low of 13C with no wind chill. Even warmer than yesterday. Another similar day tomorrow and then it starts to slowly cool down but still good sunny, dry weather. We could move into September with Indian Summer.
06:00. Not a lot to say, a perfect walk under a clear sky with a lovely crescent moon. That's it. A pleasure to be outside.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 14:30 yesterday I went for my short walk and left a thermometer on the window cill in the backyard in direct sun, it read 108F when I came back. At 20;30 it was clear, calm and warm. Same first thing this morning, brilliant crescent moon. Just looked out and we have lost the stars as it is foggy. The glass is rock steady on 1014mb still. The forecast is for another dry day but a bit of early fog and more cloud. The constant light west wind gives us 22C for a high and a low of 15C with no wind chill. It's going to be another very nice day. Outlook is similar but gradually cooling down.
06:05. Calm, mild, dark and foggy. But it's dry and there is little doubt that the sun will burn the mist off but we might get more cloud. No matter, I shall have the washing on the line in an hour!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Loose cavers and blanket dried and back in place by 16:00. First time I have ever achieved that so despite the increased cloud and the length of time it took the mist to burn off it was a good day. At 20:30 we had a milky clear sky, dry, calm and mild. Same this morning first thing but it clouded over and has cleared a bit now, just scattered cloud. The glass has started to fall and is down slightly on 1012mb. The forecast is for a similar day to yesterday, some cloud and sunny spells with an outside chance of a light shower later in the day. The light westerly wind is constant and gives a high of 21C and a low of 13C with negligible wind chill. It's cooling down a bit and there might be thunder later tonight but still acceptable weather. The outlook is for deterioration with more cloud and rain.
06:15. A pleasant and uneventful walk except for Jack meeting his mate Pepe and having a conversation with him. Calm, mild, overcast and dry. Still very growy! A very acceptable day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Slow start yesterday but then good sun until about 16:00 when we got light rain. At 20:30 it was calm, mild and dry with broken cloud. It was the same first thing this morning and we have had our early walk, very pleasant, humid, mild and calm with high broken cloud. The glass is down on 1006mb. The forecast is for light rain from 09:00 to 14:00 then a cloudy day. The constant SW wind is moderate and gives a high of 16C and a low of 10C with a -2C wind chill for most of the day. Cooler and more rain than of late is the pattern for the next week.
08:30. Forecast was right, fine mizzle has started.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Slightly better afternoon than forecast but definitely a cooler and wetter day. At 20:30 it was overcast, calm and dry and the same first thing this morning. I've just looked out and it's still the same. The glass is up a bit on a shade under 1010mb. The forecast is for a bright dry start, a chance of an isolated shower during the morning but bright overcast with sunny spells for the rest of the day. The constant SW wind is moderate all day giving a high of 17C and a low of 14C with a wind chill of -2 or -3C all day. The outlook is generally the same for the next week except for Sunday when we could see some thundery rain.
06:25. A cool walk under scattered cloud with a wind that's nearer W than SW. But it was dry.
The prospect in Church Street has been improved by One Stop installing their new fascia on Monday. But that still leaves the blot of the derelict bank.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Apart from some very light rain later in the day, yesterday was dry but that wind certainly cooled things down in the afternoon. At 20:30 it was overcast, breezy, cool and dry. Same thing first thing this morning. I have just had a look and it's still the same, the thermometer in the yard gives 60F in old money. The glass has hardly moved, it's on a shade over 1010mb. The forecast is for overcast but dry until about 08:00 then intermittent rain until 16:00, dry overcast after that. The constant moderate SW wind gives us a 17C high and a low of 14C with a -2C wind chill. The outlook has been revised in that Sunday isn't as bad as the earlier forecasts suggested, it will be cool but on the whole the weather pattern is similar to today all week. We enter Meteorological Autumn on Sunday...
06:45. Back home after a dry walk. I have a bag full of treats and Kath has had a good, but busy holiday.
I note that the guard rails on the town side of the pedestrian crossing at Gisburn road school have been replaced. They were rotten. Apart from that uneventful and Jack has sampled all his weemail stations....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I suspect we got East coast weather yesterday. We never saw the rain that was forecast and in the afternoon the wind was very mild. At 20:30 we had broken cloud, a breeze and it was dry. First thing this morning the sky was almost 100% clear and it was dry. Still dry but it seems to have clouded over, hard to tell in the dark. The glass was rock steady on 1010mb all day yesterday but during the night has fallen to 1004mb. The forecast is again for a cloudy day with sunny spells and scattered showers in the middle of the day. I wonder if it will follow yesterday's pattern and stay dry? The stiff S wind gradually shifts into the W during the day giving a high of 15C and a low of 10C tonight with a wind chill of -3C most of the day. No change in the outlook.
06:10. As we walked round this morning it was mild, dry and calm, the wind is only just starting to get up. Another thing that happened was that the broken cloud became even more open and now we have big patches of clear sky. The sun is trying to break through but we haven't seen it yet. My mother always said that if there was enough blue sky to make a sailor a pair of trousers early in the morning it would be fine after dinner. So here's hoping!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We got the west coast weather. The light intermittent rain came in around 10Am and lasted until the afternoon. At 20;30 it was breezy, cooler and dry under an overcast sky. First thing this morning we were in single figures, calm and a clear sky. It is still clear. The glass has risen a touch to 1007mb. The forecast is for a brighter, dryer day with only an outside chance of a light shower. The constant westerly wind is moderate and gives us a high of 14C and a low of 9C tonight with a -2 to -3C wind chill all day so a cooler feel to the day. The outlook for the next week is for similar cooler weather. September and meteorological autumn might be starting as it means to go on!
06:40. Back from a pleasant walk as long as you are wrapped up. The wind hasn't got up yet but it is cool, I'd guess at single figures. Sky is 75% clear and I went out later so as to get the light. We are now into dark walks early in the morning.
I picked up one of those polystyrene food containers in Butts, it still had an untouched wrap of some sort in it. It makes you wonder if people value food today.... Waste of money, I wonder what it cost, £3 at least? It went in a litter bin.
08:45. We've had our second walk and that wind is more NW than anything else. A bit chilly and the heating has cracked on....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We got more intermittent showers than forecast after dinner yesterday. at 20:30 we had big clear patches, a light breeze and it was dry. First thing this morning well broken cloud, light breeze and damp flags after an overnight shower, it started raining as I was out there. I've just looked out and it's now a lot clearer and it has stopped raining. The glass is up on 1015mb. The forecast is for it to remain dry with scattered sunny spells until midday when we shall get rain coming in. The constant WSW wind starts light but as it rises at dinnertime it will bring rain in. High of 14C and a low of 12C with a -2C wind chill rising to -3C as the wind strengthens.
06:10. A pleasant and uneventful walk, dry, calm, lots of clear sky and the sun should be able to get through from the east. That's about it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As promised, the rain came in yesterday and at 20:30 it was still raining. Dry (just) first thing this morning, I've just looked out and it's calm, overcast and we have light mizzle. The glass is down a touch on just below 1015mb. The forecast is very similar to yesterday but more overcast. It will be dull and perhaps a bit damp until midday when once again, more rain will come in and persist. The WSW wind will be steady and moderate giving us a high of 16C and a low of 11C with a -2C wind chill. The outlook is for similar but a bit cooler. Not exciting but then again, not a life-threatening hurricane!
06:10. A dry walk under overcast that broke briefly occasionally but it was always damp, if mild. That's it Kids!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

yesterday was cloudy and wet, no heavy rain, just intermittent mizzle and drizzle all day. At 20:30 it was drizzling. First thing this morning it was the same under a broken cloud cover, just looked outside and it is calm, 100% cloud and not raining at the moment. The glass is down on a shade over 1006mb and is still falling slowly. The forecast is for the same again today, overcast and rain at any time but more likely from late morning onwards. The constant westerly wind will be moderate, stronger at times, giving us a high of 14C and a low of 7C. It could tend to WNW later. The wind chill could be as much as -4C later in the day in the stronger wind. The outlook is for similar weather for the foreseeable future.
06:15. Another uneventful and gloomy walk under broken cloud and with intermittent light rain showers. The Beck is running very strongly in Butts, there must have been more rain yesterday than I thought. (Heavier up on Whitemoor?)
Only thing of note was a van marked Platt Developments pulling out of the old nursery school on Gisburn Road.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry morning but rain soon moved in. Wendy told me it was only 12C up at Lower Burnt Hill. At 20:30 it was overcast, breezy and we had light rain. First thing this morning it was calm, dry and we had a clear sky, it is still the same. The glass is up on 1017mb. The forecast is for a drier day with some good sun, chance of a light shower this afternoon. The WNW wind is constant and moderate and gives a high of 14C and a low of 11C with up to -3C wind chill. Could be worse...
A cool and dry walk under high thin broken cloud. The flow in Butts Beck is still very strong and I think there must have been more rain on Whitemoor than down here in the town.
Activity again at the Nursery School site, two vans and men active.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

After dinner we had some light showers but at 20:30 it was dry and breezy. It was the same first thing this morning but by the time we went to the butcher's we had wind significant rain and it was cool. Still raining as I post this. I fear that Wendy's grass cutting will have to be put on hold. The glass is down on 1012mb. The forecast is for the rain to persist until midday and then brighten up this afternoon with sunny spells. The constant WNW wind is cool and constant giving a high of 14C and a low of 9C with a wind chill of up to -3C all day. The outlook is for it to be drier but remaining cool and windy.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The morning rain ceased at midday and apart from one more very light shower it was dry. At 20:30 it was cool with a light breeze but dry. Same first thing this morning with well broken cloud but some stars peeping through. It's calm and more overcast as I write. The glass is up at a shade under 1017mb. The forecast is for a bright overcast day with some sunny spells but no rain. The light wind becomes northerly as the high pressure comes in and backs right round to NE by tonight. This means a cooler day 15C during the day and only 5C tonight with a -2C wind chill later on. This is our lowest night temperature of the back end, we are getting very close to our first frost. The outlook is for very similar weather for the next week with more significant rain forecast for Monday.
06:05. a quiet walk on a calm, cool, dry morning. The cloud is breaking but the wind is so light they are moving very slowly. That's about it. The only things I noted were that there is still a good flow over the dam in Butts, the moor must be still unloading the recent rain. The other thing is that the lights are on in the upper storey of the Central Garage. Unusual.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast was correct, bright and a lot of sun. At 20:30 we had a light NW breeze, a partially clear sky and it was dry and going dark. First thing this morning a clear sky, calm and cold. I've just popped me head out and it is unchanged. The glass rose slowly all day yesterday but fell back a bit during the night, it is still falling slowly and is on 1022mb. The forecast is for a dry day with more sun. The wind starts as ENE but eventually swings round to WNW and is light and constant, we must be under the centre of the current high pressure system. The high will be 15C and the low 10C with little or no wind chill from the very light wind. Perfect grass cutting weather! The outlook has changed slightly in that the forecast rain tomorrow has been downgraded and we shall have less than expected.
06:05.A cool walk under a perfectly clear sky. No frost but my breath was steaming. Dead quiet, not a soul about. That's about it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was very acceptable, the combination of the light wind and full sun in the afternoon was very nice. At 20:30 it was still partially clear and dry but going dark. First thing this morning it was calm, overcast and dry and it's still the same as I write. The glass has fallen like a stone during the night, it's down on 1008mb and still falling very slowly. The forecast is for rain from about 07:00 onwards and a cloudy showery afternoon. The constant easterly wind is light and we can expect a high of 12C and a low of 9C with negligible wind chill. The outlook promises us that it will get warmer and drier after today.
08:00. It's started raining.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not as much rain as forecast but overall a gloomy cold day. At 20:30 it was still overcast but dry with a light wind. First thing this morning it was calm and cool, dry with 50% cloud and stars. Just looked out and it's still clear and dry. The glass rose slowly during the day and is on a shade over 1011mb and still rising. The forecast is for another cool dry day with plenty of sun. The constant westerly wind starts light but gradually increases to moderate during the day giving a high of 15C and a low of 11C with a -2C wind chill later in the day. The outlook is for similar weather all week.
06:05. A cool dark walk and when we went out it was misty but by the time we got back it was possible to see that we have 50% cloud cover. No sign of dawn in the East. An autumnal morning but far better than rain!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was very acceptable. At 20:30 it was dark and still dry and relatively calm. The flags were damp this morning first thing and it was overcast but calm and dry. Still the same now with a hint of damp in the air but no rain. The glass is falling slowly and is on 1008mb. We are told that this is the fag end of hurricane Dorian. What intrigues me is that it was so slow moving when it was over the Bahamas but since then has picked up speed and seems to have crossed the Atlantic very quickly, it may leave us just as fast! The forecast for my day in Ilkley is for rain until 09:00 and bright overcast thereafter. The constant westerly wind is brisk and gives a high of 16C and a low of 11C with a wind chill of at least -3C all day. The outlook is for similar weather for the next week.
06:10. We've had a dark wet walk. Mild west wind, intermittent rain and from what I could see there are some breaks in the cloud. That's about it.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Rain all the way into Ilkley but as soon as I bought a new waterproof coat the sun came out! At 20:00 it was almost dark, dry and broken cloud. First thing this morning it was fry with a light breeze and broken cloud, I think it's still the same but calm. The glass rose all day yesterday and is steady on 1017mb but may be tending to fall. The forecast is cloudy but dry until late morning and then occasional light rain into the evening then clearing. The west wind is constant and moderate giving a high of 17C and a low of 8C with a -2C wind chill. A slightly warmer day.....
06:15. A pleasant walk on a mild morning, dry, light wind, breaking cloud and dawn light in the East. I put my new Schoffel waterproof on over a light padded shirt and it is now my best friend, light, breathes well, waterproof and windproof. No more decisions based on the weather. I am happy.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We got the light rain in the afternoon driving in on a surprisingly brisk breeze. At 20:30 we had 50% overcast, breezy cool and dry. Clear during the night with a brilliant full moon. (The moon will be at the furthest point in its orbit around the Earth. As a result, the moon will appear both smaller and dimmer in the night sky) First thing this morning it was dry and clear, it's still the same. The glass has shot up to 1027mb and is still rising. The forecast is for a mostly sunny dray day. The constant light WNW wind gives us a high of 15C and a low of 6C with a wind chill of -1C for most of the day. The outlook is for similar weather but getting cooler.
06:30. A pleasant walk on a cool morning under clear skies. Dry and good dawn light in the East, nothing as yet to stop the sun. I have had far worse walks in September!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon was lovely, warm sun and a kind wind. At 20:00 it was dry and cool with broken cloud. During the night it was calm, clear and cool with a brilliant full moon, still like that first thing, still the same as I write. The glass rose slowly all day yesterday and reached 1030mb but it is now back a bit on 1029mb. The shipping forecast is giving force 11 gales for Northern Waters. Our forecast is for a dry bright day with plenty of sun. The SW wind starts light and increases slightly during the day. It gives a high of 17C and a low of 13C with a surprising -3C wind chill later in the day. The outlook is for more dry weather and slightly warmer but we could see some wind in the North.
06:30. A good walk under a clear sky with a large red moon just setting in the West. It's calm, a heavy dew and chilly enough to make my breath steam and and mist my glasses when I came back into the house. It's coming light now and what light cloud there is is tinged red by the sun in the East, in short, a perfect September morning! No worries.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good drying day yesterday, in my book that makes any weather good! At 20:00 it was going dark, dry, calm and a clearing sky. First thing this morning it was mild, clear, dry and we had a brilliant full moon. Since then it has clouded over and we have light rain. The glass is down on 1018mb and still falling fast. The forecast is for a showery day with brighter spells late morning and in the evening. The mainly WNW wind is moderate,light all day and gives a high of 14C and a low of 10C with generally a -1C wind chill. The outlook is for similar weather but drier until Thursday and then clearing and warming a bit.
06:15. A wetter walk, gentle breeze, light rain and 100% overcast. No problem though, the new waterproof coat is 100% wind and water proof and I have cracked the deployment of the hood now.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”