Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

I'm sure you're right Sue but I think the general point holds. It's one of my complaints about supermarkets who don't stock things if volume/profit isn't high enough. The Co-op do it for large sizes as well. All about getting more 'choice' on the shelf space and maximising profit.
Not sure what the day holds yet....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Just 450km from home tonight. Overnight temperature expected to be -1C. So the blankets have been dragged out from under the bed and the coats have been dug out of the overhead locker. The wind could cut you in half. I'm not looking forward to having to toddle about 150 paces to the loo in the night. We had thought about staying two nights, but I think Dave will want to push for home and our own bed tomorrow.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's a lot colder than us Maz. We have about 8C at the moment.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

A swim this morning, its the first one since we went to France in July. This afternoon is French, also the first session since last June, and this evening is art. Normal service has resumed...autumn is on its way.

Yesterday I cut out the pattern for Bobs shirt but it needs a lot of amendments as seam allowances are skimpy and the pattern does not allow for proper seaming, I want the end product to look professional and not like something churned out fora bulk cheap market. 6 mm seams may save fabric for those who want a high profit margin but they do not allow for much wear and tear. I usually do 10-20 mm to allow for fitting and double seams , then I cut off the excess. As the fabric is already bought I have plenty to work with.
If you keep searching you will find it
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I've left me socks on for bed, Stanley...and have reached deep below the bed for an extra rug for Dave's bed...
We have the heating if needed. I reckon that will go on about 4am.
It's hard to deal with when we were on tropical beaches 10 days ago.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Bitterly cold this morning...-4C.
Can't enjoy camping this weather. Heading home and should be there in an hours time. Hubby has been doing his sums - we have been away 26 nights and have driven over 7,700 kms.
I'm looking forward to a long bath.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's a favourite trick of mine Maz if we have a very cold night.... Amazing how wearing bed socks warms you up!
Enjoying my new corduroy trousers which came yesterday. a bit long (I only have 29" legs) but they will take up when I wash them. They are cotton cord and machine washable. It will be interesting to see how they react.
I look quite dapper in new shirt and trousers, especially with the latest Tricker shoes.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

A right bobby dazzler as my grandma used to say :laugh5:

Talking of new clothes...remember we accidentally left clothes in france that were for a family do in Cardiff. At the time I said I hoped Bob didn’t need his one and only suit before October when we can retrieve the clothes. Well unfortunately he does. One of his good engineering friends died last week. It was expected but still very sad, he has had cancer for years, and was given just 3 months last June. Anyway Bob has been asked to read a eulogy at the funeral. He needs his suit! Thus today we will be going to buy a suit, not too expensive as he never wears them normally.

Otherwise no plans until the evening when it is yoga and pilates. I would do some more garden tidying but we filled the brown bin with cuttings etc yesterday and it is not emptied till Thursday. Its a shame as it promises to be another nice day.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hard luck Bob! I am reminded of Oscar Wilde... "Never embark on any enterprise that requires the purchase of new clothes."
In my case I am doing it as a vote of confidence in the future. I find that a positive attitude is very helpful in the present circumstances!
The new trousers are almost finished on a hot wash. They will hang on the line all day., I shall report back!
Half an hour later. I have just hung them out on the line. No colour run and no excess shrinkage. I think they are going to be fine and will not feel like 'new'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

We walked to Matalan, about 2-3 miles on the opposite side of Rochdale to us. We found a suitable suit not excessive in price, obviously aimed at those who have to wear suits on a daily basis. Jacket and trousers sold separately. I shall have to shorten the trousers, even though they are described as short. As we had to carry the suit we caught the bus back, making it just under two hours the round trip. Its quite a light weight suit and will not stand much wear and tear but then it won’t get much, but needs must. The last time Bob wore a suit was Claires wedding over two years ago.

So far our little packing error has cost nearly £300 in total. AGH!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Commiserations Sue!

I've just turned the trousers round to dry the back side properly in the sun. They are going to be fine!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I won't have time for any mischief today...SIX loads of washing! Meanwhile, hubby is doing a few running repairs to the van. One of the pull out shelves in the pantry had come off its runners, and a bit of trim had come loose near the sliding door. He also needs to CRC a few things that wind or slide, because the cold weather and rain has made them difficult. The new windscreen has been ordered and the insurance will fully cover costs, it's just a matter of waiting until it is delivered to the crash repairers locally. Then they will book us in.
Fourth load of washing finished, so must hang that out and feed the fifth load into the machine. Then I need to pop out for some fresh veg.
I feel an afternoon nap coming on after that.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Two pairs of trousers and some smalls was enough for me Maz. (What's CRC?)
I have the cords on, they have taken in slightly and now are a perfect fit. The legs have shrunk about 1/2" which means I can get away without turning them up. A result I think.
My mind is on a couple of articles for the BET.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

CRC...lubricant. (I hate the smell of it)
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Its an all day art workshop with Jeremy Ford today, yoga tonight. I ache again after this weeks efforts. Its taking a long time to get my old body back in form! It must be Mondays swim! Other than that nothing much. I shortened the suit trousers yesterday afternoon and started a winter-weight dress. Its straight from a pattern, easy to make and I should finish it with just a couple more hours work .

So glad your buys have been worth it Stanley. As I said at the time in my message to you, its a good site. I get my swimming costumes there. I must look to see if they have any yoga leggings.
Last edited by Sue on 18 Sep 2019, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The shirts are fine Sue.

So are the trousers and the new jacket! I cut my feet off so you'll have to imagine the highly p[olished Trickers. Standards have to be maintained!
Just written two BET articles, I am a happy bunny.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Yep...you will do. Clean and tidy...very acceptable!
What's that all stacked up on your bench? Not bills, I hope!!!!!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No Maz, ready use dish cloths and kitchen towels. I put them there over twenty years ago and they have never moved since, they are so handy and I use a lot, I'm always changing to a clean cloth or towel.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I understand...I go through 4 tea towels a day myself...though I have slight OCD about cleanliness... ( a curse at times!)
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

You look good there Stanley.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think it's a laudable curse Maz.
Thanks Sue, I feel good in them. Says something about confidence in the future!
Wrote two articles yesterday, today is up for grabs!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Its good for the mind to feel good about oneself. One of the best ways to lift your mood I think.

My dress is almost finished, just have the hem to do. I bought the fabric months ago. It looks like its knitted but it isn’t its double-jersey fabric. I always like knitted dresses but they don't suit me. This hangs well way is definitely much better.

Art this morning, U3A meeting this afternoon and yoga this evening. Thursdays are always busy. The weather forecast is good , I may get another airing of my more summery clothes, but I feel the days are numbered. I usually pack them away at the end of the first week in October.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think first week in October is going to be about right Sue.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I sent that pic to some of my fiends and they all approve and say how well I look. I think they are right, perhaps the walking, good grub and clean living are working!
Today is butcher's day and some odd jobs. The shed is starting to pull again. That's nice, another sign that my general energy levels are rising a bit. (But I'll admit the major attraction is still my midday sleep!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

A mid day sleep is needed when you are writing on oneguy at 3.21am :surprised:

Today is art, and Friday lunch with friends. Bob is at the model engineers this evening so my evening to potter. I have fabric left over from my ‘mock’ knitted dress (now finished and very pleased I am with it too) so I thought I would try and make a pattern for a sweatshirt using the dimensions from the pattern cards I used to use for my knitting machine. I can do that sat on the lounge floor whilst watching a bit of TV.

Tomorrow we are off to Coventry for the day to see Julia and family. Julia and Eve will be at a swimming pool all day as Eve is in a competition but that means Briony will have us to herself for the afternoon which she will love.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”