TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

very light rain and in the afternoon we had a dry walk, cooler! at 20:00 it was going dark, calm dry and broken cloud. First thing this morning we had high then cloud with the moon peeping through, there's been a shower ion the night but the flags were drying and it wasn't raining. Still the same now. The glass rose slightly yesterday but has fallen back to a shade under 1017mb and is still falling very slowly. The forecast is for a dry day, light cloud this morning and clearing this afternoon. The wind is very light, starts in the NE but soon backs into the NW giving a high of 15C and a low of 7C tonight. Later in the day as it freshens slightly we shall have a -1c wind chill.
The outlook is still for it to warm up a bit after Thursday but until then a bit chilly.
06:10. A nice walk on a cool, dark dry morning. It's calm and what wind there is is moving the cloud from the NW. The cloud is high and broken and moon and stars are peeping through. No complaints at all!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday turned out well after a bit of late morning light rain. At 20:00 it was calm, overcast, chilly and dry. Clear sky all night and first thing it was the same. I have just looked out and it's still the same with a very bright moon. The glass hovered all day yesterday and this morning is up slightly at a shade over 1019mb. (I've just remembered how Moh used to verify my barometer readings...)
The forecast is for a good settled day, plenty of sunshine and no rain. The very light NW wind give us a high of 14C and a low of 5C with a -2C wind chill when it strengthens slightly later this morning. The outlook is for similar weather gradually warming up a bit. Looks like a good walking day today!
06:05. A good walk on a perfect morning. Calm, clear, dry and about 5C I think but this is no problem as there is no wind. (And even if there was my new coat is 100% windproof!) Only thing of note is that the walnut trees in Valley Gardens are shedding nuts. Autumn is upon us!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a good sunny drying day if cool. At 20:00 it was still clear, calm and dry. First thing this morning it was clear, dry, calm and chilly. It's still the same with a brilliant moon. The glass has risen to 1025mb. The forecast is a re-run of yesterday, dry, some cloud but lots of sun. The wind is a constant light NW breeze giving a high of 15C and a low of 7C tonight with a -1C wind chill. Looks like another good drying and walking day. The outlook is for a slightly warmer day tomorrow and then warming appreciably over the weekend. Could be Indian Summer!
06:10. A very pleasant walk on a calm morning under an almost clear sky. There is a bit of thin high cloud but not enough to obscure the moon. However, there is more cloud out to the East and this might hold the sun back for a while.

What the well dressed dog walker is wearing. I cut me feet off so you'll have to imagine the well polished Tricker Brogues!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was cool and more cloudy but dry. At 20:00 it was cloudy, calm dry and cool. First thing this morning it was nippy, calm and clear as a bell. Lovely moon. It's the same now but a bit misty so the moon has a halo. The glass is up a touch on 1026mb. The forecast is for the mist to clear and be followed by a dry sunny day. The very light wind soon veers to WSW and gives us a slightly warmer day, high of 17C and a low of 8C with a -1C wind chill as the wind strengthens slightly. The outlook is for similar weather but warmer for a few days. Promising. Could be a good weekend for outdoor activities (and washing!).
06:15. Another good walk. Dry, calm and misty. It's cool but not cold. All's quiet on the Barlick front!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had a nice day yesterday and today promises to be even better! at 20:00 it was dark, calm, clear and cool. First thing this morning it was the same with a perfectly clear sky, a bit nippy. It is the same now but a bit of mist, not as heavy as yesterday. (Wendy could have another moonbow.)
The glass is down a bit at 1024mb. The forecast is dead simple, wall to wall sun all day. The constant ESE wind is very light and strengthens slightly later in the day. The high will be 19C and the low 10C tonight with a -2C wind chill later in the day just to remind us that it is autumn. The outlook is for similar, even warmer weather over the next two days.
In days gone by this was the time of the year when we could fairly confidently expect Equinoctial gales, it will be interesting to see if they arrive over the next few weeks.
06:40. A good walk. Still misty but every hope of it burning off eventually. Another good day for walking and getting out and about. Take advantage of it. Every day like this is a gift as we head towards the dark days of late October and November.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Aye, Summer as it is still Summer is receding quite nicely as it edges towards Autumn which commences on the 23rd. We are not already three weeks into Autumn. :extrawink:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I'm still wearing shorts, it must be summer :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

So am I from time to time Kev. :smile:
Ian
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Conkers failing on my head waiting for a bus in Bromley Kent and acorns underfoot around Hazel Grover Last week and a gentle dropping of brown leaves around Holland Park at lunchtime . I think it is autunm. I have 3 harvest festivals in the next three weekends and rushing to make the best of any warm daylight to get the sheds and bicycles sorted away.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good day yesterday once the mist burned off. at 20:00 it was clear, dry, a light breeze and a bit of a chill. Same this morning but we have broken cloud, no ground mist. The glass is down to 1014mb. The forecast is for the cloud to clear by 08:00 then sun until evening when it will cloud over again. The constant easterly wind is light at first but soon becomes moderate and a bit gusty. High of 19C and a low of 12C with a -3C wind chill most of the day.
06:00. A pleasant walk on a calm morning. The cloud is heavy enough to obscure the moon now but the wind is very light and it's a good morning.
I noticed that a security system has been installed on the old Nursery school and for the last two mornings there has been a white van parked there....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another nice day, unusually the Met Office tells us that this was probably the last warm day until next Spring. At 20:00 it was partially overcast, mild and dry. First thing this morning it was dry, mild, a light breeze and enough broken cloud to almost obscure the moon. It's still the same but calmer. The glass is down on just over 999mb and falling. The forecast is for rain at almost any time with an occasional break in the cloud letting some sun in. There's a yellow warning for the rain forecasting that at times it could be heavy, it remains to be seen how this will affect us, depends on whether this is a west or east coast forecast, as usual we are on the cusp. The generally light easterly wind gives a high of 17C and a low of 12C with a -1C wind chill. The outlook is for similar but drier weather.
05:45. A pleasant walk on a mild, dry morning under a cloudy sky and with a very light east wind. No sign of the rain warned about in the forecast. There is broken cloud to the east and I suspect that I was right earlier, we are getting the east coast version. The only notable thing was a hunched figure sat on the form at the Gisburn Road entrance to Valley Gardens. Did I enquire if he was OK? No. He didn't give any sign of being in distress and was better left alone to deal with whatever the trouble is. Most likely a skinful during the night.... Not very public spirited I know but I shan't lose any sleep.
08:45. We've just had our short walk. We had light rain from about 08:00 and when we went out but then there were a couple of rumbles of thunder and the rain got heavier. No problem, my new coat and Jack are 100% waterproof. Jack has been rubbed down and the coat shaken and hung up.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

After a period of intermittent light rain it dried up in mid-afternoon. Still dry but overcast at 20:00. First thing this morning it was calm, overcast but still dry, since then we have started with light rain. The glass is steady on just above 999mb. The forecast is for showers until about 09:00, then cloudy with some sun until evening when the rain will return. Once again, I suspect this is a west coast forecast, we shall see how heavy the rain is. The constant southerly wind is light to moderate and gives us a high of 17C and a low of 14C tonight with a wind chill of up to -2C depending on wind strength. The outlook is for similar weather but slightly cooler.
06:00. A pleasant walk on a calm, mild morning. Very dark, 100% overcast and the lightest of mizzle. It could be much worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

First day of Autum today so it's about right. We have had a very good Summer although I am sure some would disagree. Summer weather came early this year and actually started in Spring but folk will forget that no doubt. Rain and wind on and off for the rest of this week, just what you would expect as we move forward into Autumn.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The thing that strikes me most is what a good growing season it has been for grass. The Green was cut the other day but has already grown 2". No shortage of winter feed this year round here!
The forecast was accurate in that after a nice day we had light evening rain. At 20:00 it was overcast a light breeze and raining. First thing this morning it was calm, mild, broken cloud and wet flags from recent rain but not raining. It's still the same but clearer, a nice crescent moon. The glass has fallen slightly to 996mb. The forecast is for rain to come in from about 07:00 onwards and persist all day. The wind is mainly southerly shifting about from east to west. It will be moderate and give a high of 15C and a low of 12C tonight with a -1C wind chill. Still growy weather.
05:45. I went out in good time because it's clouding over and I have little doubt that we shall get the promised rain. So a mild walk under 100% overcast now, the moon has been obscured completely. Dark of course so for the first time this year I took the outside path which is lit, the inside path is dark. Nothing to report, all is quiet (no bodies on benches!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think you will all have noted that the forecast yesterday was spot on, continuous rain from mid morning into the evening. At 20:00 it was still overcast and raining lightly. First thing this morning the flags were drying, it was not raining and we had a light wind with big broken clouds. It's still drying and the cloud looks a more uniform overcast . The glass fell slowly all day and this morning is on 991mb and still falling slowly. The forecast is for an overcast day with the chance of a light shower later. The constant light wind starts in the east but by midday is in the SW giving a high of 16C and a low of 13C tonight. Negligible wind chill, another growy day! The outlook is for wetter and slightly cooler weather.
06:30. A good dry walk on a very mild morning. I only had my new Schoffel coat on and despite it's lightness it is surprisingly warm, quite evidently the wind and water proof construction is a good thermal barrier as well.
The water in Butts beck is high reflecting yesterdays steady rain. The town is quiet, what grabbed my attention was that a new lady has taken over from Barbara on earlies at Barlick Bites. The other matter concerns our public clocks. I have long complained about the one on the bus shelter on Station Road. After a long dead period it has been restarted but is running four hours out. Over the last few days the Millennium Clock in Town Square has gone on strike as well, it's running over 30 minutes behind. Johnny Pickles' clocks are all keeping good time......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday stuck to the script and while it was damp, it was very acceptable. At 20:00 it was damp but dry under 100% overcast, a bot of a breeze kicking up. This morning it was breezy and raining steadily, since then the wind has dropped and at the moment it's not raining. The glass is falling very slowly and is on 990mb. The forecast is for a wet day with occasional sunny intervals. The constant brisk SW wind gives a high of 15C and a low of 12C with a -2C wind chill all day. The outlook give little change, tomorrow is looking very wet, cooler and with perhaps some thunder.
06:20. A very wet walk. Jack has had an early bath and has been rubbed down and sausaged! He is feeling no pain.The Butts back is roaring already it will be a full banker by tomorrow evening.
My new waterproof coat is excellent. I have cracked the hood problem and it is perfectly waterproof, rain sheds off it like a duck's back. One thing I noticed this morning was that my jeans were only wet from mid calf down, with my old ones the thighs would have been soaked.
09:30. Just had a dry walk on the Green in sunshine with hardly any wind. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday turned out surprisingly well in the afternoon but by 20:00 we had fine heavy rain. First thing this morning it was dry and quite a few stars showing between the big scattered clouds. I've just looked out and it's still dry but now 100% overcast and slightly misty. The glass is up slightly on 991mb but still low. The forecast is for heavy rain with possible thunder this afternoon. The constant westerly winds will be brisk and give a high of 13C and a low of 11C with a wind chill of -3C this afternoon when the wind is at its strongest. The outlook is for heavy rain Saturday and Sunday then a bit drier but colder. October might be starting how it means to go on!
06:30. We had a cry walk to the butcher's and back. Big clear patches were coming in surrounded by angry looking clouds but no rain and it was light early. However, the clouds are moving fast don't clap hands yet!
My new boots are fine, remarkably comfortable and they will only get better. So far so good!
09:30. Just had our short walk and contrary to the forecast it's still dry. We must have got a west coast forecast and east coast weather. Can it last?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was the other way round to the day before, good in the morning but rain in the afternoon and evening. At 20:00 it was overcast and raining and the same first thing this morning. At the moment we have more breeze and lighter rain but still wet! The glass is up very slightly on 993mb. The forecast is for rain, possibly heavy, until mid morning and then clearing up a bit with only a chance of a shower until evening. The brisk westerly wind will give us a high of 14C and a low of 11C with a wind chill of -4C at the moment but moderating a bit as the day goes on. There's a yellow warning for the rain this morning.
Expect stronger winds and more rain overnight and a cooler and wetter day tomorrow. The outlook is for it to get colder
06:45. No way of hiding it, this morning is cold, very windy and heavy rain, in one word, horrible! I have just rubbed Jack down and given him his sausage. I am debating whether to change my trousers, I should have put my waterproof legs on. Butts beck is roaring and all the puddles are full so we have had a lot of rain overnight.
Glad to be back inside.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday stuck to the script, we had a very wet start, then decent weather in the afternoon and the rain came in again around 16:00. At 20:00 it was raining steadily and it was the same first thing this morning but much heavier. As I write this it's still raining but much lighter. The glass is down significantly on 986mb. The forecast is for rain all day, sometimes heavy, there is a yellow warning in force. At about 18:00 the rain will cease. The moderate wind is easterly until about 17:00 when it backs to NW for the rest of the day. The high will be 12C and the low 7C with a -2C wind chill. A cold wet day, I shall not get caught out this morning, I shall have my waterproof legs on! The outlook is for cool weather with the chance of heavy rainy spells on Monday and Tuesday.
06:40. Full waterproof gear and of course Sod's Law kicked in, when we went out it was dry and calm. But by the time we got back the wind was rising a bit and the light rain that started half way round in Butts was becoming heavier. The bottom line is that I got back as dry and warm as when I went out which was the object of the exercise! Butts Beck is thundering over the cill, at least a foot deep over the top. The heaviest flow I have seen this year I think. So a wet walk but we both stayed reasonably dry because Jack didn't need rubbing down after a good shake.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain slacked off around 17:00 and we had a dry evening. At 20:00 we had a light breeze, broken cloud and it was dry. First thing this morning it was calm, cool and the sky was perfectly clear, brilliant stars! It's still calm and dry but we seem to have an overcast sky now. The glass is up on 1003mb and rising slowly. The forecast is for a bright, dry overcast day with sunny spells until 18:00 when rain, possibly heavy will come in overnight and tomorrow morning. The light westerly wind is constant until late afternoon when it strengthens slightly and swings into the east. The high will be 14C and the low 9C overnight with negligible wind chill. The outlook is for cool changeable weather for the next week. I think we may have had our Indian Summer!
06:20. much better walk! Cool, calm, dry and the sky i98s clearing. There is some ground mist in the lower parts of the town but on the whole, getting light earlier. The beck in Butts has calmed down a bit but there is still a very heavy flow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Light rain came in by 16:30 and I think it has rained continuously all night. Very wetting rain at 20:00 and first thing this morning still raining. I have just looked out and we still have rain but a bit lighter. The glass is down on 993mb. The forecast is for rain until early afternoon and heavy overcast after that for the rest of the day. (Deep Joy!) The NE wind is moderate and gives a high of 10C and a low of 3C, chance of a light frost tomorrow morning. The wind chill is -3C so wrap up well out there! Tomorrow could be sunny but don't expect it to get any warmer.
06:05. It was raining when we went out so I tried the gaiters. They were fine and I soon realised I didn't need the top tightening up. I got back with perfectly warm dry lower legs.... But that was because it stopped raining as soon as I set off!!
So, the walk was perfectly acceptable, light wind, very little rain and of course solid overcast. The back in Butts is thundering again, at least one foot solid over the cill. It doesn't bear thinking about what would happen if the trash screen at Clough was blocked.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday's forecast was accurate but the rain was always light. At 20:00 we had a cold NE wind and breaking skies, it was dry. First thing this morning it was cold, a light breeze, dry and a perfectly clear sky. It's still the same and I think we may have our first white frost of the Autumn. The glass has risen to 1010mb and is still rising. The forecast is for a clear, dry, sunny day. The wind is mainly NW starting light and increasing to moderate for a while this afternoon. The high is 11C and the low 3C with a -2C wind chill for much of the day. Looks like a good day as long as you are wrapped up and keep moving! The outlook is for similar weather but more cloud until Sunday when we could have a wet day as the remnants of hurricane Lorenzo reach us.
06:00. A good dry walk on a calm morning under clear skies. Ice is already forming on cars and I don't doubt that by dawn we will have a white frost. No complaints, it is after all October! A good day for the walkers!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was wall to wall sunshine but nippy. At 20:00 it was still clear, cold and dry, the light breeze seemed to be tending to the east. First thing this morning it was clear and dry with very little wind, cold, we could have another frost. I've just looked outside and it is unchanged. The glass is up on 1015mb, it got a bit higher in the night but is now falling back. The forecast is for a dry overcast day until about 19:00 when we can expect more rain. The wind is easterly and light giving a high of 10C and a low of 8C with a -2C wind chill during the day. The outlook is for similar weather, not quite as cold and more rain but no frosts. Sunday's forecast is slightly better than it was, just heavy showers and sunny intervals now. A day for wrapping up warm again!
06:05. A dry walk. Light overcast but a sharper frost than yesterday. Steam is rising from the fall over the dam in Butts and there will be lot of windscreen scraping this morning. But the main thing is it's calm and dry!
By the way, I keep forgetting to tell you that the disabled parking sign in the Town Square mysteriously fell over at weekend.Iron post worm?

Rosy sky at 07:00.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Later after a cold 9AM walk. The foliage on the trees has been looking a bit stressed but two cold mornings have triggered a change to autumn colours, especially on the Green.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain came in on schedule at around 7PM. At 20:00 it was dark, breezy, cold and raining. Same this morning first thing and it's still raining steadily, I think it has been the same all night. The glass has fallen like a stone to 995mb. The forecast is for the rain to persist until noon and thereafter we shall have heavy overcast. The moderate wind starts WNW but swings to ENE about 14:00 and gives us a high of 13C and a low of 8C, wind chill varies but is as much as -3C in the early part of the day. The outlook is for similar weather for the next week. Jack and I are going to start the day with a cold, wet windy walk! (Good for the complexion.....)
06:30. We were lucky! It stopped raining as we set off to the butcher's so we have had a cool walk, very light rain and a gentle breeze.
I think my puzzle of the Old Nursery becomes clear. It is being used as an HQ by Platt Construction and as I assume this is therefore a local firm I'll take a guess that it is Andy Platt who has bought it. Related to my old mate Jack!

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”