WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Tizer »

My Blackburn grandma was a serial flitter. Whenever she saw a better house to rent she got it immediately. My dad said he was never sure whether at the end of the school day he would be going home to the right house.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Christian

Post by Christian »

I've been off work this week due to mental health issues, I wont go into it too much, but last week about this time, I wanted to end it. Bad place to be but I'm here now.Parents, Grandfather being ill in hospital, divorce looming, a dog being a divvy, It all got too much really.

The local workers had a motion passed on Wednesday night, by Thursday we were all up painting and I've spent since then on my normal working hours painting. Very therapeutic.. It looks fantastic and the feedback is positive. Tonight the "El' Presidente" said "buy the materials and crack on with the rest. Not being paid at all bar a few pints but its nice to give something back to the community. I think I will join more of these community groups and hold my head up high.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Take the very best care of yourself, Christian. So glad you are still here and have the support you need. Hope you have medical support too.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Christian wrote: 05 Oct 2019, 23:26 Not being paid at all bar a few pints but its nice to give something back to the community. I think I will join more of these community groups and hold my head up high.
That's the spirit, Christian. Keep up the good work and stay positive. When the going gets tough, the tough get going: hope you work through your problems.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds as though you reached out for help and got it. That's a a very good sign Christian, hang on to it!
I am in line for a treat today. Jess, Mo and the new great grandson are taking me for lunch at the Craven Heifer. I shall report on the Bump!
See THIS for an inspiring story about a brave woman. I had never heard of her until this morning.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

People often forget that it isn't necessarily the 'activity' its the opportunity to talk to people. Perhaps we are blessed by living in an area where strangers are so easy to talk to. Comment on their dogs, hedge cutting, sweeping up, and on average you'll spend five minutes of pleasant chat. You are doing the right thing get out of the house and talk to people.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I live in an area like that too, Plaques. Everyone says a genuine "Good Morning/Good Afternoon". If you haven't seen a regular for some time, you stop and chat. Whilst neighbours don't live in our pockets, we nod Hello, and inform each other if we are going on holidays. We have been mowing one neighbour's lawn since March and have no idea when he will be back. We/they do bins for folk away too, and collect junk mail/newspapers. None of us have keys or access to other's homes, but we care enough to keep an eye out.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We have the same experience here as that described by Plaques and Maz. Positive neighbourly interaction is priceless. We've had lots of good feedback on our new front garden which is much more attractive for neighbours and passers-by than the previous high conifer hedge.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

My wife was amazed when we were on a morning stroll in California and almost everyone would smile and say "Good Morning" - Same when we went for a country walk in Kent.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Tizer wrote: 05 Oct 2019, 10:43 My Blackburn grandma was a serial flitter. Whenever she saw a better house to rent she got it immediately. My dad said he was never sure whether at the end of the school day he would be going home to the right house.
We're at the other end of the scale, we've lived at the same address for going on 38 years.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I never want to flit again...
What grabbed me was how well my Grand daughter looks, she is due to give birth in early December. I christened him Oscar temporarily and Jess thinks it is a good name. They are both well and happy. Lovely!
(I enjoyed my lunch as well!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bodger

Post by Bodger »

Just done a quick count and we have moved 17/18 times since our marriage in 1963, , we bought our third, fourth and last house , the others were mostly rented houses paid for by the companies i worked for.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You must be very resilient Bodge!
See THIS BBC report on the growing concern over vaping. There is more currently on the connection with lung cancer but it hasn't reached the web yet. It may not be the harmless activity it was billed as. I shall stick to my black tobacco.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bodger

Post by Bodger »

I think circumstances made me so !, before our marriage i had moved 7 times.my mother married twice and my father four times plus a few stray ones in-between, so i lived with various half siblings, step mothers & fathers, including a grandfather. I read that some tear away's get an excuse for their behavior as coming from a "broken " home, if so I should be the worlds biggest tearaway !, but maybe it taught me something, wev'e been married 53 tears and still together, with 4 daughters, 9 grandchildren & 2 g. grand children, and through modern technology we are all talking to each other.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That sounds like where I am Bodge. I find it very comforting that despite all the difficulties I am still talking to all the kids from daughters to great grandson. It's a miracle...
The thing that's getting my attention this morning is Trump betraying his best allies in the Middle East. America's 'word' is worth nothing, this isn't the first time they have done this.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Christian

Post by Christian »

still here :), put umpteen hours up at the club and its now all coming together. Helped on with lifting an old carpet which must have been laid with spitfire glue, blisters to prove it! Started painting the snooker room, filled in a load of odd holes and should hopefully have that done tomorrow. Paint the loo's then its moving to outside..

All good until I dropped my tea on the floor and the dogs had rather a good fill, Corned beef butties for me!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Christian wrote: 08 Oct 2019, 22:21still here
That's good to hear - keep it up you're dong the right thing. . . .

Nil illegitimi carborundum as they say in latin. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Thanks for checking in Christian, good to hear from you. :good:

I once went into a house that had a carpet like that when I was helping a lady recover some of her furniture. Luckily for us she didn't want the carpet and left it behind for her estranged husband. I've no idea how he got it into such a state.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I know a woman who, when she left the house after a divorce sowed the carpet with Mustard and Cress and watered it. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

:laugh5:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That wasn't the worst she did Cathy. She took the finial off the hollow metal curtain pole, folded a kipper up and inserted it. I'll bet that one took some finding!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Four of the remaining seven cooling towers at Ferrybridge are coming down on Sunday.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for that Wendy, I'll be looking out for that bit of history!
My head is full of those lions...
Lots of police and ambulance activity in Barlick yesterday. No visible sign what it was about....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Face planted the pavement shortly after getting out of the car! Parked up, got out was walking up Bessie Street and I tripped on a slightly raised grate. Fat lip, cut chin and nose, bashed right elbow and right knee, bruised ribs. :sad: I would have an excuse if it was my right side with a degree of drop foot, but it was my good foot on the left that I tripped with. Good side doesn't make the pavement any softer though! :banghead: :furious3:
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Hard lines Ian. Getting older, having little falls...isn't it fun? :biggrin2: :biggrin2: :biggrin2:

Sue the Council because of an unsafe footpath?
Last edited by chinatyke on 10 Oct 2019, 13:14, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”