COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Post by Tizer »

This raises an important point...
`Google chief: I'd disclose smart speakers before guests enter my home' LINK
`It's an admission that appears to have caught Google's devices chief by surprise. After being challenged as to whether homeowners should tell guests smart devices - such as a Google Nest speaker or Amazon Echo display - are in use before they enter the building, he concludes that the answer is indeed yes. "Gosh, I haven't thought about this before in quite this way," Rick Osterloh begins. "It's quite important for all these technologies to think about all users... we have to consider all stakeholders that might be in proximity." And then he commits. "Does the owner of a home need to disclose to a guest? I would and do when someone enters into my home, and it's probably something that the products themselves should try to indicate."...'
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I couldn't agree more strongly. I would never have such devices in my house. Further, anyone incorporating such technology in any other 'smart' device should have to disclose it with draconian penalties for those who don't.
Having a dirty mind I wonder if an orgasmic cry in the bedroom has ever prompted such a device to offer help? An amusing thought but it goes to the root of the matter.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We had a strange thing last night with our Samsung tablet and Sony wireless speaker combination. We usually listen to a chosen programme on BBC Sounds while having our evening meal. The tablet is always set for `autoplay off'. The programme came to an end and we chatted about what we'd heard. After about ten minutes the speaker and tablet interrupted us by bursting into life playing a different programme! It was spooky because it was a voice that suddenly seemed to join our conversation. And no, we don't have any Alexa type gadgets. But I still don't know what triggered it to start up on it's own. It wasn't even the beginning of a programme, it seemed to be part way through and must have been the live radio at the time. Whatever next! :smile:
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

I don't know if this should come under this heading, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
Up until a couple of weeks ago we have had no trouble with this, but, Freeview 25 has suddenly started to pixilate. Doesn't do it on any other freeview channel. We have checked all the connections, and we have done an automatic channel scan to reboot all the channels, but it's still doing it. Any pointers would be extremely helpful.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Pixilation and signal breakup on digital services is usually associated with the antenna system. On terrestrial systems it could be that you aerial is slightly off beam with regard to the transmitter. Has it moved in the recent windy conditions?
Ian
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

No Ian, it's definitely not moved.
Gloria
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Is the cap intact on the connector block on the aerial.? Water ingress can also cause signal degradation and this is a common cause. Digital signals in an urban location are much more critical than the old analogue TV. Buildings, trees etc, in fact anything in the signal path can have a knock on effect. How far away from the transmitter are you and are you on a relay or a main transmitter. If your antenna directors are vertical it will be a local relay if horizontal you will be on the main transmitter. Once you know where your signal comes from you could check to see if there are any service issues on the transmitter.

I left terrestrial TV behind years ago now in favour of satellite. Nothing in the way of the signal other than the odd heavy snowfall or torrential rain which can effect but these incidents are few and far between. Digital is a lot more stable with a clear signal path albeit hundreds of miles away. I use my old abandoned SKY dish on a Freesat box, nothing to pay once you have bought the receiver.
Ian
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Thankyou for your response Ian.
Our aerial is in the loft pointing directly at the transmitter approx 5mile as crow flies. I'll see if I can check service issues at Rivington.
No problems at winter hill, but, we've just tried the tv in garden room which goes to a different aerial in the loft!!! That one works ok. We haven't been in loft to disturb anything. I'm flummoxed.
Gloria
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

There have been changes to the transmissions which could require re-tuning.
23 October 2019

Area – Lincolnshire and east Yorkshire
Transmitter group – Belmont

Area – most of Yorkshire
Transmitter group – Emley Moor

Area – the Idle area
Transmitter group – Idle

Area – the Sheffield area
Transmitter group – Sheffield

Area – Liverpool, Manchester, Lancashire, Cheshire and north Staffordshire
Transmitter group – Winter Hill
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Thankyou Plaques, I've done the re tuning. It just seems to be the one freeview channel on this tv. The other tv from the other aerial works ok, so I'm beginning to think it this tv or its aerial, neither of which have moved.
Gloria
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had that problem once Gloria and it was water getting into the cable. I'm with Ian on preferring a dish but even they can deteriorate with time. I was having a few problems and got my man in to install a new dish. They aren't made of the heaviest metal and it was worth doing just as maintenance.
On a different note. What was so important about this morning's 5k update to Ubuntu that it was labelled a security issue?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

There's something going on where we have to reboot on 23rd, I'll see if anything changes after that. But I'm inclined to think it's aerial associated as the other one is okay. We like watching Bangers and Cash and it's on there.
Gloria
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

If you have separate aerials it could be that the 'bad' one is nearing its limit on cable length reducing the signal strength. We once had mice nibbling away at the underfloor cables causing similar problems. Wrapped then up with glass insulation that stopped the little buggers.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Gloria, have you tried switching the two TVs over onto the alternate aerials to see if the problem stays with the aerial or goes with the TV?
Stanley wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 02:17What was so important about this morning's 5k update to Ubuntu that it was labelled a security issue?
The Ubuntu security site says this was the reason for the latest update:
USN-4157-1: Linux kernel vulnerabilities
Wen Huang discovered that the Marvell Wi-Fi device driver in the Linux kernel did not properly perform bounds checking, leading to a heap overflow. A local attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (system crash) or possibly execute arbitrary code.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for that Tiz.... Not that I understand it! Nice to know they are attending to the small matters!
It would appear I am not now subject to 'heap overflow'..... Phew! :cool4:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Whilst observing Parliament's antics yesterday, I needed a diversion to occupy myself, so I started a blog called "Flaneur du web". It seemed the right thing to do at the time. :smile:

It took two attempts, and one needs to be closed down today, but I think we're there. Now I just need to find things to put in it. . . . :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Flaneur du web.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A big Ubuntu upgrade this morning, thanks to the lads at Canonical!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Our Brother laser printer stopped printing today and the toner light came on. I consulted the web site shown in one of Ian's posts: URefillToner.co.uk. It has a PDF showing what to do if this happens with the Brother HL-L2300d. First, don't buy a toner pack! You need to switch on the computer, press `Go' 7 times and then you can carry on until you get `fade out'. We tried this and it worked, just when I needed to print an urgent letter. Now we'll buy the toner pack and accessories for when that happens. They're crafty b*ggers, these printer manufacturers! Thanks for the tip, Ian. :good:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

All the warning lights are on on the HP printer but it's still functioning. It won't be long before I have to test my refilled cartridge a la Ian... I shall report. (Being a belt and braces man I have a brand new cartridge sitting in the wings for an understudy)
New Firefox this morning and I note that when I opened the Mail Online article on Daniel it lit a warning that Firefox had blocked them from gathering my usage data and also asked if I wanted to block other aspects (I've forgotten what they were but blocked everything). Must be part of the upgrade, never seen it before. Makes me feel more secure. Good!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I had the Firefox update but no warnings popped up. However, there was a little box at the top R.H. corner of the tool bar which, when I hovered the mouse cursor over, said `What's New'. I clicked and it dropped down a box trumpeting how many trackers they have blocked. After closing it the box is no longer there, so I guess it's a one-off bit of promotion.

This surprised me - the Beeb dabbling in the Dark Web. Whatever next! There's one of our members who might find it useful.
`BBC News launches 'dark web' Tor mirror' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for the link Tiz. Looks like a sensible move. I just hope they know what they are doing!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm glad these concerns are being flagged up about the potential interference caused by 5G data radio frequencies. I'd also like to see more research into the effects on humans of 5G and present mobile phone frequencies. I'm not talking about the old cancer scares or the `phone against head' worries but the possibility of effects on mental health due to us being immersed in an increasingly dense cloud of such radiation. Not changes in cell structure but effects on the transmission of electrical signals in the nervous system. There might be effects on sleep, aggression, depression etc.
`'Make or break' moment for 5G' LINK
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tizer wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 10:10 the possibility of effects on mental health due to us being immersed in an increasingly dense cloud of such radiation.
I'm starting to think that the effects on 'mental health' are due more to the content of websites, rather than the technology. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I can't help suspecting that this race for more 'connectivity' particularly voice activated devices and smart web controlled appliances could have a down side. I heard a man on R4 complaining that he has two different such devices and the voice of one triggers the other. I imagine an 'Alex' and an 'Echo' arguing with each other.
I note that there are more security upgrades from Canonical than there used to be, is this right or am I just a suspicious old bugger?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Technology & Communication”