MEDICAL MATTERS

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Tizer »

That's good news, give her our best wishes. :smile:

It's no wonder we're seeing lower take up of vaccines...
`Vaccine reminder system 'inconsistent', report concludes' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I noted that report as well Tiz and it disturbs me that the route to improvement chosen is to urge the over-stressed NHS to do more to communicate. The problem isn't communication per se, we had almost 100% take-up 70 years ago despite primitive communication. The key is to change attitudes and this is a government job. In those days people had seen the terrible consequences of the diseases and didn't need urging to participate. Today parents are largely ignorant and at the same time bombarded on social media by the same cranks who were about in 1950. This is where the resources should be injected by a national campaign but unfortunately we have a system today that constantly avoids responsibility by placing it on other shoulders.
Margaret goes home today and watchdog Laura is on hand to force her to rest and recuperate!

I am impressed by the lack of bruising....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report on research which suggests that narcissists are more likely to be able to withstand stress and criticism.
Question, why did Jacob Rees Mogg spring immediately to mind?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I can't find it on the web but reports today about the use of the same adhesive spiders use in their webs on double sided tape for closing wounds. Ingenious!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Here it is: LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's the one Tiz. Thanks. I love ingenious thinking like that which leads to usable ideas.
Margaret's stitches are out and she seems to be recovering well from her surgery. I have warned her against doing too much too soon!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I have had a problem lately with further Sciatica after having a ruptured disc removed in May. Not sure what is going on...
Saw my GP, who was going on holiday ( and so are we) so GP and I are both hoping that time will heal. We will review when we are both back from holiday. No treatment. Must grit my teeth. But he has threatened MRI. I am beginning to think I may truly warrant one....pain is getting a bit much at times... :biggrin2:
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

My commiserations Marilyn. Its over 15 years since I did mine, no surgery it was considered too dangerous at that time. I'm always watching the warning signs that I'm overdoing things, ie: any tingling in the legs stop immediately. Always mix activities, short runs of bending down type work with upright stretching jobs. After a while it becomes a bit of automatic lifestyle.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Yeah...I struggled to put the fitted sheets on the beds in our van. It is quite a workout, but that is why we have fitted sheets ( no fiddling once they are on). I'm just suffering from the effort. I will survive!
I am looking forward to our next adventure. We leave early Wednesday.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

A good night's sleep seems to have helped a lot. I shall move carefully today!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 09:16 I have had a problem lately with further Sciatica after having a ruptured disc removed in May. Not sure what is going on...
Saw my GP, who was going on holiday ( and so are we) so GP and I are both hoping that time will heal. We will review when we are both back from holiday. No treatment. Must grit my teeth. But he has threatened MRI. I am beginning to think I may truly warrant one....pain is getting a bit much at times... :biggrin2:
Oh dear, hope it settles down. Luckily my discs are generally well behaved these days. I put it down to the pilates, i was initially advised by my consultant to do it, after my operation.
If you keep searching you will find it
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Actually ( touch wood) it feels pretty good today. Felt a few twinges when hubby drove over some speed humps in the hardware store carpark, but I've had worse days than this.
I had one of those big blow up balls that I used to do excercises on Sue. I put a knife through it because I couldn't imagine getting back on it after the op. I do daily excercises though ( in the bath in the mornings). They really help. I climb in the bath a bit stiff in the mornings and bounce out of it like a three year old.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry to hear your back is biting Maz. It's an Old Enemy of mine of course. Like P, 60 years ago I refused the Dye injection, the operation and the steel and leather corset and all three turned out to be good decisions in the end.
"After a while it becomes a bit of automatic lifestyle." Same here P, even today if i forget one of the defences I pay for it even though Arthur Morrison was right, he said that in the end God does the operation and fuses the vertebrae. In our cold Northern climes I have always kept warm and still have sheepskins on all my chairs. I had sheepskin on the driving seat in all me wagons as well. I also avoid sudden movements......
Look up Thomas Covenant... LINK, a fantasy character but it had an enormous effect on me and I adopted his defence mechanisms.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I shall be packing the folding walking stick, out of sight, somewhere under the bed in the van, just in case!
I won't need it, but it is reassuring to know it is there. I found the rough roads on our last trip ( bone crunching some of them), didn't help me and I lost my happy thoughts a few times.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hope it turns out OK Maz.
THIS caught my attention this morning. A report of disturbing amounts of lead in water in Canada. The cause is said to be lead pipes. I know for a fact (I have seen them during repairs) that lead pipes are still in use in some older properties in Barlick. Mine is a new connection in copper and plastic so that's OK. All older properties should be tested and owners and landlords made to replace the lead pipes, it's a no-brainer!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

I hope the last line pun was not intentional ! Had lead pipes at the previous family house, it is a real pain to replace when they run into to the wall, mains supply was copper and it was only the supply to the bathroom that appeared to run in lead, the kitchen having been altered when it was turned through 90deg and the sink relocated anyway. i am not certain if I trust plastic, particles apparently can get into the water too across time.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Susan has a lot of experience with foot care for the elderly in her job as a carer and she commented yesterday that my feet and legs were definitely not over 80 years old. She says my feet are beautiful! I put it down to good genes and excellent boots all my life. If your feet are happy there's a chance for the rest of you. Conversely, if they are bad life can be a misery! Think of what one blister can do to you.
As in so many other things, I am very lucky!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 05 Nov 2019, 06:38 All older properties should be tested and owners and landlords made to replace the lead pipes, it's a no-brainer!
The supply to my house was a lead 'branch' from next door, up until 2014, when I had it replaced. It's an expensive job, from the main in the back street to my property line was £600 a metre, plus £600 to close the back Street (it's classed as a public highway) so that was £1800. I had to lay the blue plastic pipe from my kitchen to my property line before they'd even plan to come out and do their bit.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes, it isn't easy is it. I'm glad to say that this house had it done before I moved in. One thing to cross off the list.
A few years ago the water board made a mistake and increased the pressure in the main to Barlick and it caused chaos, cisterns overflowing all over the town and bursts in old services. I had a flood from next door. One of these happened in our back street and that was when nosey bugger Stanley got this pic of the faulty section they cut out and replaced with a temporary repair.

This was part of a common pipe serving a number of properties and it was made up of lead and repaired sections, it was a repair that had failed. Look at crap inside the pipe and that main is still in service. There must be scores like this in the town (at least!).
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Flu jab yesterday, the special one for crumblies. I asked what the difference is and was told it is broader spectrum, containing four strains and also a protein to encourage older immune systems to recognise it. No noticeable after effects as yet.
I remembered to enquire about pneumonia and found I had the one time jab in 2009.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Well done! :smile:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Both Sally and myself got invites in late September for ours, I think we were in the first batch this year.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I had mine this year at the pharmacy in Tesco. I was invited into the private room whilst I was collecting my regular monthly fix. Lovely lady - couldn't refuse really. I hadn't bothered for a couple of years so I did it. Good service - all explained, and she said they would notify my GP.
Zero after effects.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Our invites were in the first few days of September. Tripps - do you get Clubcard points with your Tesco jab? :extrawink:

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”