WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

plaques
Donor

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by plaques »

Cathy wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 08:56 I know a few people who vape and smoke cigarettes,
In my mind 'vaping' is bad news. Industry is doing their best to get young people hooked on nicotine so that they have an assured market for years to come. The younger they are the more susceptible to nicotine addiction you are. Flavored vaping is there to attract more smokers, the fact that it kills some of them is no concern of theirs its the profit that counts not the tobacco.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/14/heal ... da.htmling.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Wendyf wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 07:45 In the USA deaths and illnesses caused by vaping have recently been attributed the additive vitamin C acetate found mainly in the vaping fluids containing cannabinoids. It is a sticky substance which collects in the lungs.
It's actually vitamin E acetate which is an oil. I'm surprised that they claim to use it to thicken the liquid. I would have thought it was too expensive an ingredient to use as a thickener. One explanation for the danger is that it's causing lipoid pneumonia*, an accumulation of oily material in lung cells that interferes with their function. That can be caused by inhaling other oily substances so the effect wouldn't be confined to vitamin C acetate. `Fire breather's pneumonia' is known to be due to oil entering the lungs.** But it doesn't surprise me that vaping can cause health problems. You see people emitting voluminous clouds of vapour so just think how much of the vaping substances are passing through their lungs.

* Lipoid pneumonia
**Fire breather's pneumonia
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have no difficulty imagining our Wendy with an umbrella and a carpet bag. 'Though she be small she is fierce!'
P, I suspect you are quite right. It's called 'diversifying'. (and profit of course!) Listening to the industry representative on Today yesterday reminded me of Turners at Rochdale and asbestos.
Tiz, the huge clouds of smoke emitted by vapers intrigues me also. Far more than I do with my pipe by a long chalk!
The bottom line is that any form of smoking is bad for you and should not be encouraged in the young. Unfortunately I was addicted young in the days when Craven 'A' were advertised as being 'good for your throat' so there is no hope for me. However, I have been lucky so far and enjoy it too much to stop. Whenever I have done that (Twice, once for 3 years) I was poorly straight away, head aches, insomnia and generally bad tempered!
How good it felt to be making a mess in the shed!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Cigarettes always helped me to think more clearly and keep me calm, nicotine chewies do the same thing for me.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nicotine isn't all had Cathy, it's the chemicals associated with cigarettes that kills you.
The bush fires in NSW and Queensland are being widely reported. They quote changing winds and temperatures of 36C.
A later report says that Sydney is not as bad today, the big risk is in Queensland....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

There have been reports that some of the smoke has travelled 3000 kilometres, don’t know which direction.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This should brighten your day! See which one you think looks most like Michael Gove...
`Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards 2019: The winning images' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Quite possible Cathy.
Tiz, I wouldn't insult any of them by associating them with that creep!
The fact I did two hours in the shed with no ill effects beyond it tiring me!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Trump asking the Supreme Court to declare his tax returns as being subject to 'Presidential Privilege' to bar access to them by those investigating allegations that he paid 'Hush Money' to silence litigants during the election campaign. (LINK)
A letter from the East Lancs Health Authority offering me a retinal scan at Cone instead of at the Clinic in Butts. I rang them and asked for an opt out as there is no way I am going to accept the hassle and expense of a trip to Colne when I get one free anyway once a year at my opticians. Another consequence of the cut backs and centralisation of NHS services. No thought at all for the older people who use these services. That will include chiropody as well as other services I am not aware of.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I keep wondering where China is, anyone know?
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

I am here. I've been in hospital for 3 weeks but will go home tomorrow. I'm too washed out to type on this phone. I'll explain later but all is ok.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

I am here. I've been in hospital for 3 weeks but will go home tomorrow. I'm too washed out to type on this phone. I'll explain later but all is ok.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Glad its all Ok, its all Ok, I was wondering myself where China had got to, Its not the same without his piercing insights into our staid thinking. Take it easy and just get better.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Thanks China, wishing you a speedy recovery :good:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Indeed, a speedy recovery China, they must have had a good go at you whatever the complaint. Right side now anyway, take care.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We're missing you China! Get yourself well and back to your OG duties! :extrawink:

I've just been in town to the Library to collect a book I ordered online and had the usual problem of the automatic machine throwing out my £1 coin each time I tried to pay. It did the same with several coins and I had to ask a human being to take payment. It's happened before and I tell them but they don't seem able or willing to correct the fault. (Thinks...are they deliberately sabotaging the machines? :smile: )

Then I went to WH Smith and looked for Roket Glue in their large glue section. They have loads of different glue brands but not Roket. I suggested to a sales assistant that they should stock it because there is nothing else like it and it's very useful. She told me they don't have any choice over what the shops stock and I'd have to write to head office! Next I went to The Works shop. They have a very large craft section but few glues except the usual PVA. I suggested to the lady who seemed in charge that they should stock it. She took the details and said she would contact the office that deals with stocking. At least she didn't tell me to do it myself! This is another aspect of what's killing off the High Street. It's especially depressing when I've just read an interview with the CEO of the big bookseller Barnes & Noble in the USA, the man who also turned around Waterstones. He said how the first thing he'll do to turn around B&N will be to give shop staff responsibility for choosing which books to stock.

Roket Glue. `For fast assembly of card models. Also bonds balsa wood, paper and card to most plastics. Use sparingly, align and press parts together for instant bond. Water clean up.' LINK
Wonderful stuff. Seems expensive but you need only tiny amounts. It bonds in about 10 seconds, depending how much you apply to the one surface - a thin smear bonds instantly, a bit more and it's slower.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I was missing you to China, and beginning to get concerned . Best wishes for a quick recovery. Post when you feel up to it. :good:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

It's a long story. thanks for your concern everyone. I'll put it in the medical thread when I can. 2 tumors the size of an egg and a peach removed from my neck. main trauma is to my bank account!!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Well done Cathy for asking the question, it had been bothering me for a while but I kept forgetting to post. (Yes, i know, getting older!)
China, that sounds nasty and very worrying. I hope they hit the spot and you have as good an experience as I am having (touches wood). Sorry about the wallet!
Tiz, you're quite right. Not the assistants fault of course but they are the sharp end and have to endure the bad feeling that these 'company policies' generate. Exactly my experience with the Co-op and Bruno tobacco. 'Contacting head office' did no good at all and so I did the obvious, ordered it on line at a slightly lower price and free delivery. Recognise the story? And then they complain about on-liner competition being unfair. It reminds me of the oldie that has always been with us, "There's no demand for it". It's called 'customer service' DUMMIES!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Hope you are back on your "plates" soon, China.

( I am not even going to mention the "rocket glue" to Febby.... :nooo: :trustme: :badidea: )
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Later, Prince Andrew making lame excuses for stupid behaviour in an endeavour to improve his image. Fat chance!
Trump blowing his top and attacking witnesses in the impeachment hearings. Was there ever a President as egregious as this?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I hope you make a quick recovery China.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

That's a bit of a shocker, China. I trust they'll sort you out.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I had one of those heart stopping moments tonight. I had made a trek to the camp kitchen several times ( once to preheat the camp oven, once to pop our dinner in and 10 mins later to make sure everything was going to plan. Each time I went down a steep slope and over a retaining wall, as new works were going on, steps were blocked off, and there was no clear path to get to the camp kitchen). It was a bit of a trek, to say the least, and hubby agreed to go with me once our dinner was ready, as I wasn't sure I could carry the hot dinner up the climb with my Sciatica. Each visit, I passed the children's playground. Each time, I saw a lad ( about 14) playing with a boy (about 6). Suddenly...there was a distressed Dad out there looking for his daughter and calling her name. The chills went through me. I was halfway down the slope to check dinner again, and ( hearing his anguish) tried to remember my visits, everything I had witnessed in the last half hour, as it may be important. The older lad said she had just wandered off. Dad was asking how that could happen. I could not recall seeing a female child at all.
Anyway, somehow, somebody found her before dark. We were told everything was OK.
Phew! Do you think we could enjoy dinner after THAT?!
I am normally quite observant, but tonight I made a solid promise to myself to try harder. I think the little girl was about 3 or 4 years of age.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Phew, I would be beside myself too.
I hate it when I see a child seemingly on their own at the shops, I always stop to see that someone ‘claims’ them.

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”