MEDICAL MATTERS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Stanley »

Tell us more China. How are the operation wounds progressing? Are you in a general ward or on your own? Is treatment for the indigenous people free as under NHS?
I have my fingers crossed for you so you will be fine!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 18 Nov 2019, 04:26 Tell us more China. How are the operation wounds progressing? Are you in a general ward or on your own? Is treatment for the indigenous people free as under NHS?
I have my fingers crossed for you so you will be fine!
one of the op wounds became infected over the weekend and has been cleaned and re-dressed several times and I am on antibiotics. I have had 2 tiny tablets today and for the first time for a week I am not peeing orangeade so maybe I had a urine infection also. I think I am fit again but then feel better each day. today's milestone is that I can swallow normally and enjoy a cup of coffee without sipping at it.
I am in a normal small ward of 4 beds and it is fine.
Everyone pays but a lot of people have medical insurance, I think my wife is entitled to 80% cover as a hospital in-patient because she paid up her state dues in full. It also gives her a very small state pension at 60.
I haven't heard anything about my case conference but the head honcho visited me this morning. I'm guessing I'll be here until my stitches are removed so I could get used to this pampered VIP life. Thanks for thinking of me.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

The small tablets were atropine to reduce secretions from my stitches and I have two tabs twice per day. I feel well, that's all that matters.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Glad that you are feeling well China.

With regard to your comment about a urine infection. When I was on the neuro ward at LGI last year, the staff were really on the ball regarding infection. Same setup for me, small bays of 4 and you worked your way up from the high dependency unit where all the "head cases" start post op. Part way up the ward one of the guys in our bay developed a urine infection and once diagnosed he was shifted a whole floor down in the building within minutes of the result being declared. He went with his bed and his bedside drawer unit and even the chair at the other side of the bed. Five minutes after he had been swept away the cleaning staff were tasked to deep clean the bay. An hour later we had a new buddy in the bay. When we were moved around within the ward you always went with all the stuff you had used I kept the same bed and tackle in three different locations within the ward. All designed of course for infection control.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It's good to know you are feeling well, China. Keep up the progress! :smile:

Ian, the policy of shifting the bed and cabinet etc together with the infected patient, then cleaning the area they've been in sounds right for that ward. But what about the ward to which the patient is moved? Wouldn't it potentially bring infection into that ward? Would it not be better to move only the patient, leave the bed and cabinet and clean them in the original ward?
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

China, have you had any advice on what to eat and what to avoid eating after you have been discharged? Thyroid problems are a bit funny in that respect.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tizer wrote: 18 Nov 2019, 09:56 Ian, the policy of shifting the bed and cabinet etc together with the infected patient, then cleaning the area they've been in sounds right for that ward. But what about the ward to which the patient is moved? Wouldn't it potentially bring infection into that ward? Would it not be better to move only the patient, leave the bed and cabinet and clean them in the original ward?
Just an observation Tiz, as you say works for the departing ward, I think he went into a single side room on the floor below until he was free of infection, (none available on our ward).
Ian
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

China, good to hear you say you are feeling well, that’s half the battle over and done with :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

plaques wrote: 18 Nov 2019, 09:58 China, have you had any advice on what to eat and what to avoid eating after you have been discharged? Thyroid problems are a bit funny in that respect.
The full thyroid wasn't removed and the remnant is providing sufficient T3/T4.
The doctor has been and my thyroid tumor isn't the main problem. My clinical diagnosis is follicular Lymphoma.
I'll find out more tomorrow.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for the explanations China. Your account of the urinary infection and the other comments remind me that through all my treatment and procedures I was continually tested time and time again for urinary infection. Helen My McMillan nurse told me that I was unusual in that I went through the lot without infection. I am either lucky or manage my bladder well in normal life, probably a combination of both. I've had them in the past and am always wary, drinking lots of water, peeing regularly and keeping my bits clean and well oiled!
Incidentally, that's why I pee in the grid outside so much. I found I empty my bladder better out there.
My mate had what they describe as 'teapot syndrome', his bladder was particularly bad at clearing itself. This is partially due to the fact we were originally designed to be on all fours and the bladder is shaped so as to empty itself that way. By being clever buggers and learning to walk upright we spoiled the design and evolution hasn't caught up yet.
And no! I am not going down on all fours to pee, there are limits!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

My bill now stands at just under 3000GBP which isn't bad for the treatment and care that I have received and I am on my 22nd night as an inpatient. First major medical expense in 15 years. No complaints.
The question about advice on what to eat: Apparently I am pre-diabetic which can be controlled by adjustment of my diet and so I have been given much advice, mainly low sugar and salt and sensible meals with more exercise.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

chinatyke wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 08:16 My bill now stands at just under 3000GBP which isn't bad for the treatment and care that I have received and I am on my 22nd night as an inpatient.
That's very reasonable, the bill for the cartilage repair I had, earlier this year, was nearly that.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I know that this isn't a mine is bigger than yours competition but as near as I can ascertain my diagnosis, tests, surgery and three weeks stay on the NHS last year came out around £35,000 - £40,000. Thank god for the welfare state!
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The Cold.

I came to typhoid fever - read the symptoms -discovered I had typhoid fever, must have had it for months, wondered what else I'd got, turned up St Vitus dance - found as expected that I'd got that too- began to get interested in my case and determined to sift it to the bottom and so started to read it alphabetically....
Jerome K Jerome. on reading a medical dictionary.

There I was, a beautiful afternoon nursing this cold. Some people call them common colds, let me tell you there was nothing common about my cold. This wasn't a mamby-pamby cold but a full blown man size cold, approaching man-flu I would say. Now I can appreciate how the Skripal's felt. To continue, sat in my armchair drifting in and out of consciousness as one does with a high fever, listening to the high pitch whine and clumping of my gas meter gradually draining my bank balance, I began to ponder why they called this energy utility Octopus? It used to be called Co-Op Energy, now there's a name I can relate to. Working together all buzzing along with a common purpose.But Octopus reminds me of some blood sucking monster screwing you for the last drop. How about Puppy or Kitten something warm and cuddly.
Then came this noise at the door. This was now an emergency, Where's Mrs P when I want her? Upstairs hiding in the bathroom pretending to be deaf. I remember now that both the washer and tumble dryer had been running at full tilt. Why on earth she can't leave the washing alone until wash day I'll never know. No consideration for climate change or my bank balance. Its not fair is all I can say. Decisions had to be made. First put the laptop down, well actually it was only keeping my knees warm, then start opening doors, four in total, the last two only used to impress visitors. There it was, partially pushed through the letter box, my first Conservative leaflet. It was at this point I realized that I'd missed a golden opportunity to totally disrupt their Barbarossa campaign on Commie Corbyn. I could have sneezed on my hand before pressing the flesh bringing on a total meltdown of their manpower. Of course I wouldn't dream of doing it to Ladies or pensioners but the Bullingdon Club type are fair game. Is germ warfare allowed in politics? Another side issue, Are Ladies and lady pensioners one group or two? See how delirious I am.

If you have read down to this point, Thank You. If you got here by cheating then start again.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 08:42 Thank god for the welfare state!
And private medical insurance :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

plaques wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 09:44 my first Conservative leaflet.
Sorry to hear about the cold, (sorry, man flu) P, germ warfare now there's an idea. If it makes you feel a tad better, we got the same drivel this morning delivered up by a small waif of a young woman who looked a bit starved in the cold. Obviously could not read the three Azhar Labour posters we have in our front windows, must get bigger ones. :biggrin2:
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

:biggrin2: You are both right but at my age and circumstances insurance was prohibitively expensive.
I'm 73 and have already outlasted 3 wives. I'm quite expecting this one to be the exception to the trend.
I've just had my infected wound deep cleaned by my doctor squeezing out the puss and then redressed. Ouch! But he told me that I can go home when this clears up if I don't die from boredom first.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Is there a follow on treatment plan for the Lymphoma China?
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

It hasn't been discussed, Ian, but I'm sure we will. This is an indolent cancer and a good option is to wait and watch for any further trouble. The survival rate is >10 years with or without treatment. I am happy with that prognosis.
I didn't feel any symptoms before the operation so I'm not going to see much difference. In fact the most changes will be dietary and to maintaining a healthier lifestyle. Thanks to the nurses doing regular BP checks I've been able to titrate my BP medication and get that under control again. Hopefully I'll get 10 more years from this intervention.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

In Bill Bryson's book 'The Body' his comment on longevity are... Up to 80 its mainly lifestyle after that its mainly genetic. Now on phase two I'm hoping that Ma & Pa passed on the right bits when they made me. Mind you I've outlasted, age wise, both of them plus a brother. No particular target in mind just as long as I'm still skipping about until its my turn to go.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Squeezing pus..... That surprises me China. My solution to that problem with a deep wound is twice daily irrigation with saline solution injected forcefully using a big syringe with no needle. That's how I treated Jack's last wound with excellent results. £3000 sounds like a bargain! Consult Wendy about diabetes diet, she is brilliant!
Genes after 80, I agree P and that's the principle I'm working on, so far so good!
I hope the wound clears and starts to close soon China. When it does, don't pick it!
As for your wife outlasting you, don't take any bets! I have seen that fail so many times especially when wills have been drawn up on that assumption.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

All packed and ready to go ahead with the great escape but when the dressings were removed it revealed a sorry story,. Head of department brought in with a surgeon 2 more doctors and a nurse. I knew I would not be allowed to leave.
Wound brutally cleaned again and all stitches removed. Apart from squeezing the wound they do use antiseptic washing agents and procedures. It hurt. Now I have a bandage around my chin and the top of my head. At least the stitches are out.
My wife has gone home for the night.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Good to hear that they are not taking any chances with you China :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hard luck China. Apart from anything else you don't need the stress. I do hope you get a better result soon.
(I don't like the sound of brutal cleaning.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Cathy wrote: 20 Nov 2019, 05:57 Good to hear that they are not taking any chances with you China :smile:
I keep telling them how well I am.as I want to get home as quickly as possible but I'm sure they see through me.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”