Today I shall be Mainly...

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Wendyf »

It will be Doreen Crowther Sue, she drew up family trees of many local families. More than happy to check for you on Wednesday.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

This is more of a follow on from Uncle Bob's post Tom Lehrer - Lobachevsky and Tripps spooky reply. I'd also been playing some of my old favorites, Tom Lehrer, Jake Thackray and then dropped onto George Brassens, the French raconteur who I thought may be of interest to Sue. Le Gorille Just one song of a disc set that that my french friend loaned me. He told me George Brassens was very popular some years ago. Perhaps Roland may remember him.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

plaques wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 11:45 I thought may be of interest to Sue
And me :smile: I like the songs of Jake Thackray - though I was told a long time ago by someone who said they were at university with him that he wasn't too nice a person in real life.

I listened to Le Gorille, and thought - he's copied this from Jake Thackray - it's even the same tune. Surprised to find it's the other way round. Good luck to anyone trying to get the subtleties of language from his songs. :smile:

I like Sister Josephine. (the song ) and this - from the Guardian

Thackray, ever humble, had merely requested “no forget-me-nots, no epitaphs, no keepsakes; you can let my memory slip. You can say a prayer or two for me soul then, but make it quick, boys.”
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I always thought Jake Thackray was a depressive influence.....
Doreen Crowther! Any mention of her makes my heart sing. Such a lovely kind woman. She helped me time and time again and I used to love visiting her and her husband George at Barrowford. In the morning they retired to different rooms, each with their favourite crossword and re-connected for coffee to sort out the difficult clues together.
She once asked me to be a custodian of a big research folder entrusted to her by a man who had done a lot of research on his family and knew he was failing. He also knew that because of certain skeletons he had discovered in the cupboard his research would almost certainly get destroyed. He had died and Dorothy wanted to be able to say truthfully, if asked, that she hadn't got the folder.
It must have been ten years later when she came back to me and asked if I still had it and could she have it back as circumstances had changed and it was now safe. Of course I had it safe and she said that I was the only person she knew she could trust. That pleased me more than I can convey. Let's never forget her! (Her handwritten notes were spidery, very small and perfectly legible.)
One more thing that illustrates how she worked. She knew I was doing a big project on waterpower and one day presented me with "a few notes that might help". It was a thick folder full of every reference she had ever come across in court rolls, wills and other sources that had anything to do with waterpower. All handwritten in her spidery writing and obviously done specially for me. The best resear4cher I ever met and generous with her work to a fault. I count myself lucky to have known her.
Back on to the Piste!

Knocking off time yesterday. A freshly sharpened cutter ready for today's tranche of slow steady progress!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Thank you all for your help about Doreen Crowther.

Back to the optician today. I need new lenses and have opted for replacement in my present glasses that are only a year old. The optician has tried to balance my natural short sight with what I need for distance, in my varifocals so I don’t have to keep taking my glasses off( and losing them) when I sew. My present pair were completely wrong. He also checked my eyes at my request and like me thinks there is some residue of infection. He has given me some lotion to cleanse the eyes. He mentioned blepharitis, but to be honest the symptoms don’t match as i have no discharge from the eyes, no puffy eyelids, and my eyes are not affected my light. But will give it a go.

After the opticians its lunch with my sewing friends, if they turn up. It was all a bit vague last month with one off to Australia for three months, and another waiting for a hospital appointment etc. Hospice shop this afternoon and a carol service tonight at the local church.
If you keep searching you will find it
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Febby has decided that he is going to paint our billiard table BLACK today. It currently being lacquered timber, I suggested it would need sanding first, but he never listens to me of course, and has gone for washing it down with Sugar Soap ( a process that took him about three and a half minutes!)!
Anyway (predicting a disaster ahead), I shall sit quietly on my computer across the other side of the very large room and watch proceedings unfold. He has absolutely zero patience... :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Oh dear Maz....... :sad:
I shall be in the shed and looking after both of us.
Expecting two new Damart vests today so watching for courier!
Waiting for news of the Impending Event. Spoke to Jess yesterday, she's getting a bit uncomfortable but otherwise good.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

It's not looking too bad really, Stanley. A bit patchy, but not as bad as I expected. He will do the second coat on the weekend.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

So you are getting a bit more relaxed about things. Good! :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Beautiful orange sunrise as I write, we get a good view from our bedroom window, and a view of sunset from the lounge. There have been some fabulous skies recently.

We may go for a walk this morning, otherwise its a sewing lesson with Maxine this afternoon and another attempt at finalising the toile of Bob’s shirt. This evening is pilates Christmas do. Its a fund raising event for a local charity . I don’t usually go but this year I have made a lot of friends in my classes so decided I would go along. I am hoping it is not an all evening drinking session. That is not what I like to spend my money on.

My yoga teacher is a post lady when not teaching yoga. She slipped on the ice delivering post the other morning and has broken her elbow. I believe all her classes have been covered, but my concern is more with her. A broken elbow sounds nasty.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Sue, did you want any more information from the Widdup Pedigree in Colne Library or just confirmation that it was Doreen's work? I checked today and it definitely was.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right Sue. Joint injuries can be dodgy. 50 years later my shoulder occasionally reminds me of my accident when I comprehensively broke it. I was lucky, give her my best wishes and tell her I had a good man at Burnley and his advice was to start exercising the joint as soon as you can, ignore the pain, keep it moving. He hated slings. The theory is that it helps avoid residual arthritis caused by immobility and that the constructive stress of movement helps ossification. It worked when I broke my wrist as well.
That shirt is giving you grief!
Missed the shed yesterday but will do better today. I had extreme lassitude, I suspect SAD syndrome. I hate these short days, let's have the light back!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wendyf wrote: 04 Dec 2019, 18:29 Sue, did you want any more information from the Widdup Pedigree in Colne Library or just confirmation that it was Doreen's work? I checked today and it definitely was.
No just her name thanks Wendy so I can credit her in my book on the Widdups.

Yesterdays social with the pilates and yoga group went well. They raised loads of money for a local charity. I won a bottle of fizz and £20 which has gone in my sewing purse It will pay for another lesson. Talking of lessons after a successful one yesterday, I am about to embark on project ‘BOB’S SHIRT’. Watch this space.

Lunchtime is the first of many Christmas meals, this one with my Friday lunching partners at our usual place. There will be six of us. The pub always set the table nicely for us, and tbe food is always good. Although a local pub in the hills above Todmorden the food is not typical pub but the prices are. Yoga tonight, if I am not too full and if a replacement yoga teacher has been found. Camille does not yet know how long she will be off with her broken elbow.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Will do some Ancestry I think. Having been away a lot lately, I have kind of lost the plot with it all. I must get back into it. I keep telling myself that if I just open any file and stick my nose in, some little detail will grab me and I will be back in to it again.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's how it works Maz. It's the same in the Shed, inertia sometimes has to be broken by a new project, once that happens I am off again (subject to housework and cooking!).
Have a good lunch Sue and go for the pudding!
Enjoying my new maximum protection Damart vests which arrived yesterday. I was right about two sizes too big (due to lack of stock), it's no problem at all. I am warm as toast! They are long sleeved which feels a bit strange but I shall soon get used to that.
Butcher's and shopping today but still aiming for the shed.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

The trouble is, that Ancestry can't handle weird relationships. I have a man who married his father's second wife's daughter-by-her-first-husband. Try putting that on a family tree. They were step siblings, but because his dad married her mum, the family tree can't comprehend it.
Every time I get round to dealing with this bunch of people, I think that something has gone dreadfully wrong with my inputting of information, then I remember why it all looks wrong.
All 10 kids from the combined marriages had three or four Germanic Christian names, and most went by one of their other names ( not their first names) so it has been a hunt for records (including one who went by the name "Gus" a lot...Gus not being even one of his 4 Christian names!).
So really, I can only work on this family on days when I have my head screwed on correctly...
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Gosh I hope that’s not our family :surprised:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"I can only work on this family on days when I have my head screwed on correctly..."
I like that Maz. I recognise that syndrome!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

No Cazza. It is my son's (Dad's) family. He has some wonderful ancestors...
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

No yoga teacher was found for last night so thankfully I could put my feet up and enjoy an evening in. The lunch was good and the pub had set up a lovely festive table for the 6 of us. We will be back there today after craft, but I feel a light meal may be appropriate.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Marilyn wrote: 06 Dec 2019, 03:33 All 10 kids from the combined marriages had three or four Germanic Christian names, and most went by one of their other names ( not their first names)
In Germany it is quite common for people to have two or three first names. There are so many with these combinations that you have to say their full name,eg: Herman Joseph. If this leads to confusion you go to the next layer.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have failed completely to get in the shed, washing and cooking.....And just laziness, it was nice to sit down.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Reminds me a bit of the Wordsworth family, are we connected to William or his brother (we have been told it’s William) , but there are so many with the same Christian name and about 30 different spellings because the people taking the information down weren’t exactly educated. Oh and the accents weren’t always understood... makes it hard.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Started the day well, washing bedding and minimal cooking so the shed should be a certainty today. Amazing how housework gets in the way.
Mind you, I still have to put clean duvet covers on the bed, I hate the job!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

If you are not a messy or restless sleeper you can just lay the duvet cover over the duvet, I do because it saves my back and it always stays in place.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”