Shed Matters 3

Magnu420

Re: Shed Matters 3

Post by Magnu420 »

looks good a bit of metal putty to fill the hole unless its in a area where the eyes wont see
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No need, it's bolted down onto the bed. Out of sight and just as strong.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Shopping and household matters ate into the morning but I persevered. Today's job is fitting the top lid.

I need to divide the pitch circle for six studs. Lovely little job for Johnny's 1927 OT lathe.

Here's an overall view of the setup. Mandrel disconnected and the overhead gear set up. That takes the time, marking the hole locations is a quick job and of course dead accurate. Simple dividing using the number plate on the bull gear, there's a 12 hole circle.... Trust Johnny to make it easy!

Here we are ready for drilling.

Here's the next set up. The lid has a register mark to locate it. The game plan is to complete one hole drilled and tapped, fit a set screw and that locates the lid for the other five. However, it was knocking off time. No rush.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think this set of pics tells the story of my hour and a quarter in the shed this morning. Quietly away and lots of concentration. I find white knuckle work like this very tiring! I don't have a good reputation with small taps! However, as you can see, I have achieved my goal, all the top lid studs installed. When I got to this stage I decided that a bit of tackle tidying was in order but not too much as the next job of the valve chest studs is going to need the same tools. By the way, no gloves this morning you need a lot of touch and feel to work with 7BA. The tweezers are invaluable as well!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Is it me or is that lid offset slightly in relation to the cylinder?
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No you're right Ian but that will be adjusted during the process of fitting and will be OK. Don't worry, it will run and nobody will see it off the Ribble!

New taps and abrasives landed. Takes some pressure off!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today's little job is to get the steam chest lid ready for using as a template for drilling the steam chest and valve face ready for tapping for the studs that hold it all together.

First job was to make sure it was exactly 1/8" thick, these studs are not going to be over generous in length. Then an hour spent carefully measuring and marking the stud holes. Good and careful work. Last job before knocking off time was spotting the locations with the centre punch.....

Into each life a little rain must fall and I had a short sharp shower. Note it was the last hole! I examined the metal carefully under a glass and there is a tiny inclusion exactly where the punch mark is. These things happen, especially with castings. No point getting into a lather. 3 hour's work in total down the drain. Ah well, onwards and upwards! (Far better that it's happened now and not when I was fitting.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Does the lid have to be CI Stanley or can you just make another one out of stock you will no doubt have?
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Better if it was cast iron Ian to match the rest. I have some odd bits about my person, should be able to find some.... If not steel will do OK.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The design committee had a meeting last night and their conclusion was that the broken lid still had value, the carefully measured drillings. So the first job this morning was to drill them all tapping size for 7BA. It will now become a template for the new one, saving all that careful work laying them out.

It's now a template!

Then a search though the treasure chests, one outstanding candidate, we can still have a CI lid. Now for a bit of marking and cutting.

The slitting saw in the horizontal mill is the obvious route but recognise that before I got to this point the vise had to be re-installed and trammed in. It all takes time and isn't as simple as it looks so don't be criticising me for being slow!

Two set ups and two cuts....

Here we are at knocking off time. Tomorrow is clear, the blank has to be cut to size and thickness before it can be used. (I might even punch the marks into it before I do the final reduction in the thickness. I don't want a third stab at it!) Nice morning, I enjoyed that.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Why bother with the punch? You have a number of purpose made centre dills and a stiff enough drill unit to go straight for it. You should know by now not to hit cast iron with a hammer.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

With the now template on top, in effect you already have a ready made deep punch hole so I would concur with P on this
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

It looks like you've got to remove a lot to get it down to 1/8" thickness [Quote: First job was to make sure it was exactly 1/8" thick, these studs are not going to be over generous in length.] Just a reminder, don't do the marking and then find you've erased it!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The stack is going to be high enough when I get round to drilling and the way I shall do it is get two opposing holes drilled and located with studs so the template won't fit after that.
Reducing the thickness is easy China, not much for my El Cheapo mill and sharp HSS cutters!
Nothing wrong with punching cast iron, all the other locations were OK, it was the inclusion that got me and that's just a matter of luck.
These things happen, it's how well you retrieve the situation that counts, all part of the challenge!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's the new lid... Not milling for size here, all I am after is square! Good start yesterday when I trammed the vise on the HM in, I must have got it right because the two cut edges from that cut are at right angles to each other. A good start!

Once I had it square, a bit of marking up and now I am milling for size.

We have the right size, it matches the chest exactly.

Next I want one clean square face. One cut got me there.

Both the bad lid and the new one degreased. This is because the design committee came up with a change of plan. The game now is to super glue the broken lid to the new one for drilling the holes.

Glued in place. At this point I looked at the instructions (typical Stanley) and realised that full cure necessitates leaving it for 24 hours.

So I put the assembly under pressure in the vise and called it knocking off time. I am sure it would have been OK but I am in no rush, far better safe than sorry.
In case you're wondering, a bit of heat will break the seal when drilling is done. If not, the old lid can be milled off so it can't be a problem.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The lids stuck nicely. First job was to drill the hole pattern

A bit of fiddling to get entry but then I managed to split the two lids.

Before I reduce the lid to 1/8" I dressed the stone and gave my cutter a careful lick to ensure it was as sharp as possible.

Quite a lot to come off and only just over 1/16" hold in the vise so a succession of small careful cuts until I was down to size.

Knocking off time. We have a lid and the drillings, whilst not dead accurate are perfectly adequate. That'll do, I have a busy morning! By the way, the larger hole is where steam will enter.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

First job this morning was to put some finish on the valve face. I've just bought some new high class abrasives so I just rubbed it on there instead of lapping it as I normally do.

That'll do nicely.

Then consult the drawings and sort out the studs that are going to be used. Tweezers invaluable.

Then set the cylinder up with the chest and the lid clamped and adjusted in the right place. I measured the depth I had to drill to, set the tapping drill up and drilled a couple of the holes by hand, the easiest ones to get to. It was at this point that things started to go wrong!

As I was drilling the second hole the drill broke. Unusually and fortunately it broke at the shank and not in the hole. (I found out why later.... )

I shame to put this pic up but it shows what went wrong. I have to face up to the truth, my eyes are not trustworthy any more. I was certain I was drilling at right angles to the work. This demonstrates how bad my eyes are! I had a rethink. Recognised that as well as my drilling my original marking was lousy. I did some thinking, set the steam chest and lid up under the Progress drill and put my mistakes right. I was doing so much thinking I forgot to do a pic.

Here's where I ended up, luckily no damage to the cylinder body and valve face, just the lid that needs rectifying and one tap hole on the valve face that is way out from where it should be, Tomorrow I'll tap the holes marked with a cross, tap them and plug with 7BA studding and finish flat. They'll never see it off the Ribble.

You can tell I've been thronged. This morning was halting progress, once I have plugged my bum holes I shall be back on track!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

A few weeks or months ago I asked if 3D-printing would take over from casting. Your reply went along the lines that it would be difficult with the high temperatures involved. Today I was reading an article about using 3D-printing to produce medical implants from Tantalum which has a melting point of 2996C. Bet it costs more than casting! I've heard that some complex rocket parts are produced this way also.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202001/0 ... 82bb0.html
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

After a quick 'read through' - Stanley, I'd be thinking about rephrasing that last sentence. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'll stick to the old fashioned way China.
David, I left it like that because I knew it would amuse some people!
Shed is going to be further delayed as I start immunotherapy again on Monday, I shall have to see how side effects hit me. The usual one is extreme fatigue. Never mind, things don't rust in my shed due to the CH and I am going to live forever so no rush!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry about the hiatus lads. The effects of the treatment have to come first, I need to look after myself! I shall return.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Here's a bit of a surprise for both you and me! I had no intention of going in the shed but a knock on the door yesterday afternoon changed all that. It was Carl Brown from the butcher's and his problem was that their coffee machine was broken down because an essential part had worn out. It wasn't the most complicated turning job in the world and so I made it for him while he waited. But I have a confession to make... This pin is a mistake. I was distracted by Carl being with me and I made it too short! Never mind, another piece of silver steel in Mrs Harrison and I knocked another out the right length quicker than the first. So hopefully it will cure the problem and the coffee machine will be back in service.
What intrigued me was that I enjoyed it and I have come to the conclusion that my dilatory progress on the beam engine is because I don't like the jobs I am having to do on the beam engine. I shall have to think about that. It may be that a bit more resolution is needed!
Carl asked me how many people would be able to do the job in Barlick. I told him I didn't know, I suspect that there might be someone but question is are they as old as me and under treatment for cancer! I think I am a very lucky bloke. One thing is certain, assuming the pin fits, and there is no reason why it shouldn't, it was a problem solved and that's what the shed is all about.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The good news is that I have been in the shed for an hour and a half. The bad news is that I am rectifying a cock up. Can't think what I was thinking at the time. I must have been poorly!

I'm sure you remember the problem. A complete cock up drilling holes for attaching the steam chest and lid. You can see how bad it got from the angle of this tap. In my defence that angle is because the drill hit the edge of the steam chest and was diverted.

There's a story behind this as well. I had made another mistake and drilled into the casting with the clearance drill instead of just spotting it. So I have tapped it for 6BA and that's the size I will be using for the fastenings as well.

The screw cut off and the face filed down. That's one hole dealt with!

The three good holes tapped 6BA, all the others will be the same.

The holes in the lid treated the same. The screws are Loctited in and I'll cut them off tomorrow when the Loctite has cured.

The three good tappings in the casting with 6BA studs fitted ready for marking for the others. By the way, the holes in the chest and the lid have to be opened up to 1/8" for clearance.

It's been a busy but satisfying morning. I'll feel a lot better when I have put this cock-up right!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Following the change in stud sizes I ordered a set of HSS 6BA taps, setscrews and nuts and a piece of studding. They are in the post from GLR Kennions..... I already have the taps but they are old and I know only too well what happens if you are using old taps. The last thing I need is a broken tap in the casting! Worth spending £12 to give myself the best chance.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

First job was to tidy up the plugs in the bad drillings in the lid. Once I had polished them flat I drilled the stud holes 1/8" clearance for 6BA.

I fitted the chest and the lid and transfer punched the locations of the missing stud hole on to the valve face. Then I did what I should have done in the first place, set the cylinder up under the pillar drill so I could drill them accurately and vertical.

Then some careful tapping. One peculiarity I noted, and not something I have ever done, one of the drillings interferes with the exhaust port from the cylinder. No big deal because the exhaust port is always open to atmosphere, just different.

I fitted six temporary studs and tried the fit. It's fine, I think we can claim to have sorted the cock-up! Very satisfying, just over an hour and not time wasted.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Crafts”