MEDICAL MATTERS

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Tizer »

It's good to see that the Chinese leaders are telling the bureaucrats that they mustn't hide the real extent of the current coronavirus but should put out true figures. That benefits us all. Also they are, quite rightly, pointing out that what appears to be a surge at present is partly explained by better detection.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It looks as though they learned the lessons from the SARS outbreak! Good.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We’ve been told that 17 people have died, and 571 people are infected.
The Qld man who was quarantined and tested for the virus has been given the all clear.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was surprised to see that Wuhan has 11 million inhabitants, London has 8.5 million.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

As an expert mentioned on the radio this morning, the virus is an RNA virus and these can mutate faster than the DNA viruses. Influenza is another RNA virus which is why they spread in the same way. There is no vaccine and the NHS advises the best way to avoid such viruses is:
Regularly wash your hands with warm water and soap
Avoid touching your eyes and nose wherever possible
Maintain a fit and healthy lifestyle

There's more background to the virus in this BBC article...
`Coronavirus: How worried should we be?' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Nearly 14 weeks now since my MRI scan and still haven't had the results. :surprised: Time for another email I reckon.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

That is disgraceful, Panbiker!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Debra my neurosurgeons secretary says that I was called last November according to the information in my file but I have no record of this. We have voicemail on the landline and I have looked at itemised call records. It could have been my mobile but no voice messages there either. All my other results have always been via letter. I have emailed her again today.

Since my last annuity matured at my last birthday I have no life insurance. I am looking to change that and my latest MRI results would no doubt come in handy when hunting for quotes.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I would guess that life insurance, at your age, would cost a bomb!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Depends how much the payout is. Not looking for mega bucks, enough to send me on my way and have a bit spare. :extrawink: :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Further insurance never dawned on me when I was forced to draw mine twenty years ago..... get a quote Ian and put that amount into a savings account, it will soon start to mount up! That's what many of the old manufacturers did with engine insurance and I reckon they were smart men.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 03:14 get a quote Ian and put that amount into a savings account, it will soon start to mount up!
No it won't. If you can find a savings account that will give the same return as an insurance agreement over a fixed term you are a better man than I Gunga Din. You need £500 to open an ISA and £1000 to deposit as an opener for a bond. I don't have a private pension to invest in an annuity but if i did I would need a pot of around £100,000 to get what I already receive in state pension each month. I'm just looking for something that will pay out against an untimely death, enough to cover getting shut of me and leave a bob or two spare.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 09:20
Stanley wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 03:14 get a quote Ian and put that amount into a savings account, it will soon start to mount up!
No it won't. If you can find a savings account that will give the same return as an insurance agreement over a fixed term you are a better man than I Gunga Din. You need £500 to open an ISA and £1000 to deposit as an opener for a bond. I don't have a private pension to invest in an annuity but if i did I would need a pot of around £100,000 to get what I already receive in state pension each month. I'm just looking for something that will pay out against an untimely death, enough to cover getting shut of me and leave a bob or two spare.
There are a lot advertised on TV, 50 to 80 years old, no medical or 'awkward questions' whatever they are. Not sure if they're any good though...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

My inside moles believe the Pendle Council is drawing up contingency plans for Barlick in case the coronavirus spreads throughout the area. These measures include...
All international and domestic flights will be stopped.
Trains will not now travel into Barlick.
Passengers on canal trips will continue the full tour without stopping at Barlick.
Premier and international football matches will be moved to other venues.
Council owned exhibition centres and entertainment halls will be closed until the emergency is over.

Ie~; No Change
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Love it :laugh5:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I am requesting copies of all my medical records including the CAT and MRI scans from the Leeds Teaching Hospitals group. You can do this under the 2000 Freedom of Information Act. I will get my MRI results one way or the other. :smile:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Big Kev wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 10:37 There are a lot advertised on TV, 50 to 80 years old, no medical or 'awkward questions' whatever they are. Not sure if they're any good though...
They've been very good for Michael Parkinson :smile: , and Martin Lewis seems quite definite in his advice . . . Over 50's life insurance.

A good rule is 'don't buy anything that is heavily advertised on TV. (Especially 'equity release')
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I have asked the Meerkats and they have come up with a few interesting ones from recognised insurers. :smile:
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Life of Brian. Always look on the bright side of death. You could die a rich man. :biggrin2:
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

plaques wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 10:44 My inside moles believe the Pendle Council is drawing up contingency plans for Barlick in case the coronavirus spreads throughout the area. These measures include...
All international and domestic flights will be stopped.
Trains will not now travel into Barlick.
Passengers on canal trips will continue the full tour without stopping at Barlick.
Premier and international football matches will be moved to other venues.
Council owned exhibition centres and entertainment halls will be closed until the emergency is over.

Ie~; No Change
Don't forget to cancel the Chinese New Year's Eve concert tonight. :biggrin2:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

To get this thread back on topic I will just bump my previous post:
PanBiker wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 11:54 I am requesting copies of all my medical records including the CAT and MRI scans from the Leeds Teaching Hospitals group. You can do this under the 2000 Freedom of Information Act. I will get my MRI results one way or the other. :smile:
It can take up to 30 days to gather and surrender all the information which should come via email. The application says that X-Rays have to be supplied on CD Rom, don't know if this includes the CAT and MRI scans as well. Fairly sure that my original diagnosis MRI was an MP4 video file when I saw it on my consultants computer.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

PanBiker wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 20:37 Debra my neurosurgeons secretary says that I was called last November according to the information in my file but I have no record of this.
Ian - (very gently) - might it not be better to ask them to repeat the call they say they made?

Going for a FOI request creates a lot of work for an already very busy set of people, and what will you do with the scans etc when you get them? I am guessing they will not be very informative to the lay person. You surely need the consultant's interpretation, not the actual scan, don't you?

Perhaps your action may do some harm to the previously very good relationship you have had with the hospital?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The teaching hospital has a department dedicated to record access. I am only helping to keep them in a job. Employees can use the same form for accessing HR and their own personnel records. The form asks for a comment on usage, options are personal or for complaint against the trust. I have selected personal of course. It's a normal request and the record should show any reports on my scans as they have all been done so far within the Leeds Trust. One of the reasons given for me attending Leeds for my first few scans rather than back in either of my local trusts is that it speeds up the results! On the FB support site that I visit loads of patients ask for access to their records, I doubt if it will upset the apple cart.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

PanBiker wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 16:37 I am only helping to keep them in a job.
Ah I see.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I have my MRI scans...they are mine, as I had to pay for my MRI. The scan was done late in the afternoon, so whilst I was handed the scans, they were at that point unreported.
My GP printed off a copy of the MRI report. I keep a copy of it in my purse, because I have another disc that could blow at any time ( it will never be a convenient moment when it does blow) but at least I can hand a treating doctor a copy of my latest MRI.

Have you asked your GP to do that for you? Everything is electronically linked nowadays. I don’t understand why it is so difficult.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”