TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

Another brilliant day yesterday. at 20:00 it was calm, very cold and clear as a bell. First thing this morning the same and despite the overcast we have a frost. The glass fell a touch and is on 1024mb. The forecast is for a milder day once the wind changes but still dry under the overcast. The wind is the story today, it is much more gentle and by late morning is backing to SE giving a high of 11C and a low of1C with a -2C wind chill. As soon as it does this the frost will clear and it will feel much warmer. The outlook is good, even warmer and generally dry weather to come.
One thing that did strike me, the lights in the gym on Albert Road were on this morning. I thought they had been shut down....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a good day, dry except for a bit of a surprise, a brief light shower mid-morning. At 20:00 it was clear, calm and cold. Same this morning but slight overcast. We have had our Valley Gardens walk and it was light when we left at 05:30, so the first daylight early walk of the year. Hardly a soul about but the normal traffic on the roads, evidently some industry is still functioning. An ideal isolation walk! The glass is down slightly on 1019mb and falling very slowly. The forecast is for a warmer dry day with perhaps some sunny intervals. The SW wind starts gently and increases to moderate as the day goes on, The high is 14C and the low tonight will be 5C. There is an average -2C wind chill. A very good day for a good walk. The outlook is for three more good days like this and then slightly cooler and perhaps a chance of rain.
I can't help being reminded of the Phoney War at the start of WW2, that was also good weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely Spring-like day yesterday. At 20:00 it was calm, clear and cool but dry. Same first thing this morning but with a hint of thin overcast, just popped out and it's the same but with the addition of a mild light wind. The glass fell slightly but has recovered and is rock steady on 1019mb, same as yesterday. The forecast is for another good day, wall to wall sun all day. The wind is very light and southerly giving a high of 15C and a low of 2C with virtually no wind chill except for -1C for the next couple of hours. the outlook is for the same tomorrow as well. This and better will do!
05:30. Yes we went out for our walk a bit earlier. Breezy, dry and mild and the sky has cleared in the last hour. Town is very quiet. Points of note: A hooded figure carrying sharp objects stood in the Pioneer car park. A car pulled up and he got in. They went towards Gisburn and he must be a butcher at the slaughter house there. Panic over.
Hutchinson's pie shop was closed yesterday and this morning I saw a notice in the window, he has closed for the duration as he doesn't consider himself essential. I would have thought that a food outlet was essential. Of course I note that MacDonald's have closed as well. Bad news for the Just Eat generation.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another lovely day yesterday. At 20:00 it was calm and cold under a clear sky. Same this morning. We have had our walk and it's a perfect late March day. One thing I did notice, some cars are ignoring red lights and just sailing though trusting on the lack of traffic. The glass has risen slightly to 1021mb and still rising. The forecast is for wall to wall sun all day. The light easterly winds give a high of 12C and a low of 0C with as wind chill of -1C. A great day for rational exercise! Another sunny day tomorrow then more cloudy and cooler during the week.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's almost getting boring! Another 'Phoney War Weather' day yesterday. At 20:00 it was clear, calm and cold. Same first thing this morning and no change since. The glass is again up slightly on 1023mb and still tending to rise. The forecast is for another day of full sun. The constant Easterly wind starts light and becomes moderate as the day progresses giving a high of 10C and a low of 2C with a -3C wind chill later as the wind backs into the NE.
The outlook is cooler and more cloud from now on but still dry.
06:30. Back from another good walk, bright, dry, clear sky, almost calm and a sharp frost, a beautiful morning. Kathy was a delight as usual and despite the fact that many lines are missing, I have all my usual stand-bys. She said that they are considering closing the shop and going on to home deliveries only. She said that they have been very busy and many of the customers were not regulars and she felt that if they don't take action they are at too high a risk. So, she thinks this will be the last shop for a while. She will home deliver my usual order each week as long as they are able to. I entirely understand and think she is right. We'll see what happens......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another perfect day yesterday! At 20:00 calm, crystal clear sky with crescent moon and I think Venus. First thing this morning it was calm and cold with a light overcast. It's still the same and the glass is up on 1`028mb and still rising. The forecast is for a dry day but less sun and more overcast. The constant NE wind starts light and gradually rises to moderate as the day goes on with perhaps 35mph gusts later. The high is 8C and the low 0C with as much as -5C wind chill later when the wind has risen. The outlook is for similar weather to today. Back to wintry for a while but cheer up, it will soon get warmer.
05:40. Out in good time and back early. A nice walk, cold, calm and dry. As we walked round the overcast was breaking from the East and large clear patches were coming over. Not a soul in sight apart from a few cars. A perfect self isolation walk.

Remember, if you live in the UK, to put your clocks forward an hour tonight. We go on to Summertime as it gets colder!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Overcast and colder yesterday. At 20:00 it was calm, cold and a crystal clear sky with a crescent moon and Venus. It was still clear first thing this morning and I have just looked outside and it hasn't changed and is bitter cold! The glass is up again at 1038mb. The forecast is for another overcast day with the chance of an occasional wintry shower. The NE wind is moderate and gusty and gives a high of 5C and a low of 0C with as much as -6C wind chill. It will feel very cold all day, wrap up well! The outlook is for more of the same but not quite as cold as today.
05:40. Back from a dry but very cold walk. Full Mother Russia. The light sabre came in useful again. There has been a light snow shower and it is still white on the roads, even the main road, the salt isn't thawing it. If you are in the wind, it's at least -4C at the moment.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Afternoon walk in light dusting of snow. Bitter cold and so dry the ground is cracking on the Green. At 20:00 we had a breeze, clear sky and it was very cold. This morning we have thin high overcast a light breeze and it's very cold. Just popped out and it's still the same. The glass got close to 1040mb yesterday but has fallen back now to 1036mb. The forecast is for a dry overcast day with the chance of the sun breaking through perhaps later this morning. The mainly north wind is light to moderate and gives a high of 8C and a low of 3C with up to -3C wind chill. The outlook is similar for the next five days.
06:00. Just had the perfect self isolating walk round Valley Gardens. Not a soul in sight. Calm, not frosty and dry, a lovely morning. One thing puzzles me. Why don't the two public clocks in the town self correct? I note the Millennium Clock in the Town Square has advanced an hour but not corrected the fact it's over 30 minutes slow. The clock on the bus shelter is a lost cause, it's been four hours and more out ever since it restarted. Useless!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 30 Mar 2020, 04:05 One thing puzzles me. Why don't the two public clocks in the town self correct? I note the Millennium Clock in the Town Square has advanced an hour but not corrected the fact it's over 30 minutes slow. The clock on the bus shelter is a lost cause, it's been four hours and more out ever since it restarted. Useless!
David Whipp posted about this very thing on Facebook the other day, (that is his platform of choice nowadays). There are three issues, they, (the Town Council) cant find anyone to repair them and the fact that the Council along with everyone else is closed down for the duration with just emergency spending powers delegated to the the Town Clerk. The third reason is that it is not high on their radar at the moment, it was pointed out that both clocks although faulty are both correct twice a day. :extrawink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Why not do something simple like cutting the power off to them and putting it back on when they are showing the correct time? Daft as it looks, that could work and if it it didn't. no damage done.
Yesterday was exactly as the forecast and slightly warmer than the day before. At 20:00 we had a light North wind, broken cloud and it was dry. Same first thing this morning and I have just looked outside, we've had a light episode of mizzle but it's drying up now.The glass is down on 1032mb. The forecast is very similar to yesterday. It will be overcast but dry. The light NW wind gives a high of 9C and a low of 3C with a -2C wind chill. The outlook is for similar weather. A very settled spell, let's enjoy it!
05:45. A very acceptable walk. Not as cold as of late, calm, dry and very quiet. This is ideal social isolation, I didn't see a soul apart from three cars on the road. No wagons this morning. Very very quiet out there.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 03:58 Why not do something simple like cutting the power off to them and putting it back on when they are showing the correct time? Daft as it looks, that could work and if it it didn't. no damage done.
I don't think the issue is that they are just showing the wrong time. If that was the case it would be a simple matter to just adjust the time which I am fairly certain has been tried. Problem is they are both faulty in some other way and they cant find anyone to fix them. Ultimately, I reckon they will probably end up changing the mechanisms.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David told me yesterday that he thought the shutting off of power could work in Town Square and they are going to try it. They did the same thing with the bus shelter but when they switched the power back on the mechanism whirred and went back to the wrong time!
Yesterday was a good day largely because the wind remained very light all day. At 20:00 we had overcast, it was calm and dry. This morning it was the same and we have had our walk already, a bit further than usual because we swung by the surgery to drop my repeat prescription in. It was a pleasant walk, it's calm dry and relatively mild, Not bad for All Fools Day! The glass has fallen overnight to 1021mb and still falling. The forecast is for a re-run of yesterday, overcast but dry. The constant light NW wind gives a high of 8C and a low of 5C with a wind chill of -3C. The outlook gives no real change.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

PanBiker wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 08:22
Stanley wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 03:58 Why not do something simple like cutting the power off to them and putting it back on when they are showing the correct time? Daft as it looks, that could work and if it it didn't. no damage done.
I don't think the issue is that they are just showing the wrong time. If that was the case it would be a simple matter to just adjust the time which I am fairly certain has been tried. Problem is they are both faulty in some other way and they cant find anyone to fix them. Ultimately, I reckon they will probably end up changing the mechanisms.
Why not replace them with these new-fangled digital sundials ?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Apart from a light shower in the afternoon we had a very acceptable and relatively mild day. The council mowed the Green for the first time this season. at 20:00 we had a clear sky but with 50% cloud cover. This morning first thing we had a very light shower and a hint of wind. I've just looked out and there is a hint of moisture in the air, almost mizzle! The glass is down on 1012mb and falling slowly. The forecast is for a cloudy but mainly dry day, with just a chance of an occasional very light shower. The main story is the wind, it has swung into the west (WNW later) and strengthened, it will be brisk all day with gusts of almost 40mph at times. The high will be 9C and the low 1C with as much as a -5C wind chill in the strongest winds. The outlook is for similar weather.
05:50. Back home after a good Valley Gardens walk. A brisk wind, broken cloud, dry and not too cold. I have had much worse walks than this in April. Only one thing of note, a young man who wanted to know what time One-Stop opened, it says 7AM on the sign so I told him that. Then he asked what time it was and I told him I hadn't got a watch. It makes you wonder if he would survive if things got really bad!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Some good sun yesterday afternoon but a blustery wind. At 20:00 there was less wind, broken cloud and it was dry. First thing this morning, calm mild and dry with large clear gaps in the cloud. By the time we went out for our walk it was completely overcast, a light breeze but dry until we were getting near home when there was some very light mizzle. The glass dropped during the night but has recovered this morning and is on 1011mb. The forecast is for a dry overcast day with a chance of a shower mid-morning. The wind is a constant moderate westerly and gives a high of 7C and a low of 5C. The wind chill is around -3C but could reach -4C this morning.
The outlook is for a warmer feel tomorrow and Sunday which could be the warmest day this year so far. Would you believe 17C?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

17 C, gosh you lot won’t know yourselves :laugh5:

Enjoy 🕶
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Cathy wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 08:30 17 C, gosh you lot won’t know yourselves :laugh5:

Enjoy 🕶
Hopefully the 'idiots' won't think it's OK to flock to tourist 'hotspots'...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good day yesterday with just odd spells of mizzle. At 20:00 it was calm, mild and dry with broken cloud. First thing this morning it was the same and the only change since is that there is a bit more cloud now. The glass is up slightly on 1013mb. The forecast is for a cloudy but dry day. The wind is mainly southerly, light to moderate, giving a high of 11C and a low of 5C with a -2 or -3C wind chill depending on wind strength. The outlook is for dry, warmer weather, double figures all next week and sunny with it!
05:30. a very pleasant walk. One dog walker (50 yards), one private car, one police car and the Artisan Baker re-stocking the Town Square shop. Clear patches and some stars showing. Calm, dry mild and all told a very good morning!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice day wasn't it! At 20:00 it was calm, mild, broken cloud and lots of small insects in the air. Same first thing this morning but no insects that I could see, still the same but with a light breeze. The glass has fallen to a shade under 1011mb. The forecast is for the day to start sunny and become bright overcast by noon. The constant SSE wind is brisk and gusts to 35mph later but it gives us a high of 16C and a low of 5C with a wind chill of up to -4C depending on wind strength. The outlook is for it to be a bit cooler tomorrow but then to start getting warmer again all week.
Looking good!
05:55. A pleasant walk under a clear sky with an enormous almost full moon setting in the NW. (It's full on Tuesday) Calm and mild. One red-eye, the KLM flight from JFK at NY to Frankfurt overhead, the only plane in the sky. Lovely safe time to have a walk, I should think the chances of having contact with the virus is just about zero as long as you touch nothing.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely day and still the same at 20:00. First thing this morning it was warm, calm and we had very light rain. Since then the rain has got heavier. The glass is down on 1001mb. The forecast is for the rain to cease by dawn and then for the day to brighten up to full sun all afternoon. The westerly wind is moderate gusting to 30mph and giving a high of 11C and a low of 3C with a -3C wind chill. The outlook is for similar weather, perhaps warmer than today..
This should get the grass growing....
05:45. Light mizzle under heavy overcast with a light breeze as we went out. By the time we got half way round Valley Gardens the mizzle had stopped but what I did notice is that there was no sign at all of dawn in the East, the overcast must be heavy!
Met a couple of pedestrians, neither of whom showed any signs of trying to give me space so I got out of their way. Otherwise, very little traffic apart from the regular Royal Mail van coming away from the sorting office. Back inside, must have a hand wash! I touched the hand rail on the steps out of the Pioneer Car Park! That's the scale of my thinking at the moment, I really am trying!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely day yesterday and at 20:00 it was calm, dry and clear. It was the same this morning but much cooler and a light frost. A brilliant full moon in the west. We have had our walk and it's a very pleasant morning, calm, frosty and a crystal clear sky. The glass has shot up overnight to 1025mb and is still rising. The forecast is quite simple, clear, dry and full sun all day. The light SW wind becomes slightly stronger later and gives us a high of 14C and a low of 5C with a -2C wind chill. The outlook is not quite as bright as today but good weather nevertheless.
Enjoy the day within the bounds of your sensible self isolating!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It's nice in the sunshine, just been over to the butcher's in a t-shirt. The wind is cool but the sun feels good :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely day Kev, even I was out in just a waistcoat in the afternoon with Jack. At 20:00 it was clear, calm mild and dry. First thing this morning we had high broken cloud brilliantly back-lit by the Super Moon. Since then the cloud has reduced. The glass is steady on 1023mb. The forecast is for a re-run of yesterday, dry, clear and sunny all day. The wind is light and variable and mainly in the west. It gives a high of 15C and a low of 5C with a negligible wind chill of -1C. It's another good day and the outlook is similar over the weekend.
05:45. A very pleasant walk. Still some broken cloud in the West, strongly back-lit by the Super Moon. Calm, mild, dry, in other words a perfect morning for a walk. Coming light as we neared home and the birds are active and singing. It's a good morning for getting out and breathing in some fresh air!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was another nice day.... This morning first thing we had 50% scattered high cloud backlit by a super moon. Later as we went out the cloud was more scattered with large clear patches. We've had a pleasant walk on a calm, mild morning. Not a soul about only a few cars. The glass is steady on 1023mb. The forecast gives an overcast day but the sky gives the lie to this, there are large clear patches at the moment so we could have a sunnier day than the forecast. The wind is a constant east wind, light now but moderate later. The high is 14C and the low 7C with a -2C wind chill when the wind is strongest. The outlook is for warmer weather for the next three days then brighter but cooler weather for a couple of days. All good weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's almost getting boring! Yesterday was another good dry day. At 20:00 it was calm, broken cloud , dry and mild and it was the same first thing this morning. Since then it has clouded over a bit but is still calm, mild and dry. The glass is unchanged, rock steady on 1023mb. The forecast is for a dry overcast day. The wind is light and gradually eases from NE to SW around noon giving a high of 19C and a low of 11C, the highest temperatures of the year so far. There is a slight wind chill. The outlook is for similar weather for the next week. We could be in for a very balmy weekend.
06:00. A quiet walk, mild dry and a large moon setting in the SW, it looks a bit yellow because we have a light ground mist. Only one thing of any note, the sad sight of a dead black cat lay on its side at the top of the steps from the Pioneer Car Park to Co-operative Street. No sign of any injury but of course it could be a road casualty that managed to get that far. Someone will be looking for it.
Later, after I saw the body in daylight. It was definitely struck by a vehicle but managed to make it to the top of the steps. Probably heading home.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”