Mobile Phones

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Mobile Phones

Post by PanBiker »

QR codes are basically square two dimensional bar codes. :smile: :extrawink:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

What does Stanley mean by `to set it up'? Is that so he can see the video on his big screen instead of the tiny smartphone screen?
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

It doesn't need any setting up on Windows apart from installing the application and linking the phone. You need to have the phone switched on as it uses that as an interface it just mirrors the groups and contacts you have on your phone but gives you the advantage of the big screen and your full sized keyboard. I have a similar tab on Firefox for Instagram as well, works the same and a lot easier to use. With both using the phone comes into its own when taking photos to send but for text based contacts you cant beat a full sized keyboard.
Ian
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

QR Generally takes a reader to a web address, sometimes with an executable (that you have to give manual permission to proceed)

Am I right in that most Apps on Phones also (A) need an email address (B) will work on a computer/laptop/tablet. This is primarily because the comms system is over IP routing either wired or wirlessly. So far as i know I dont think (despite many years of attempts at integrated messaging, for want of a better term) any landline can have its information seamissly paired to your internet apps/programs ( I note that Window 7( or 8?) and above call on its home screens 'programs' 'apps' which confuses me for a while.
I sort of made a list of popular programs but I dont know what is best, some allow voice or video recording too (but eat memory/storage)
Skype (its Microsoft Account needed, I dont think I like it)
Whatsapp Seems usable, does anyone else feel the need to shout on mobile, or laptop. I have always been wary enabling speakers and microphone on my devices over the years.
Instagram
Telegramm (seems a bit like twitter and is probably more for widecast than one to ones )
Messenger (runs on Facebook)
There are probably others.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Windows 10 describes programs as apps because it is a platform transportable OS. It is not just used used on computers but phones and tablets also. It's indirect competition to Android and IOS platforms. WhatsApp is probably the most versatile of the communication apps as it can be used for straight text messaging, photo and video sharing and video calls, all either to individuals or groups. It's free and has end to end encryption. Covers all the bases I would say.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

WhatsApp was forced on me by Janet when she was dying, it was brilliant then and still is. I love it. Ian is right, much better to use it on the screen....
And I have discovered that it means I can do video calls to Oz using the router and my new phone, bliss!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This man is an idiot and a menace and Youtube/google should have banned and deleted all these videos weeks ago...
`Coronavirus: YouTube tightens rules after David Icke 5G interview' LINK
`YouTube has banned all conspiracy theory videos falsely linking coronavirus symptoms to 5G networks. The Google-owned service will now delete videos violating the policy. It had previously limited itself to reducing the frequency it recommended them in its Up Next section. The move follows a live-streamed interview with conspiracy theorist David Icke on Monday, in which he had linked the technology to the pandemic....Mr Icke also claimed that a coronavirus vaccine, when one is developed, would include "nanotechnology microchips" that would allow humans to be controlled. He added that Bill Gates - who is helping fund Covid-19 vaccine research - should be jailed. His views went unchallenged for much of the two-and-a-half-hour show...'.

The really sad thing is that so many people believe this sort of misinformation. It reminds me of a novel I've been reading which centres around witch hunts in medieval times and things people believed then. Mobs being fired up by religious leaders and seeking out innocent women to kill.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"Mobs being fired up by religious leaders and seeking out innocent women to kill."
Exactly right Tiz. I heard the reports about Icke and have difficulty understanding how anyone can give him credence when he is so obviously barking mad! I suppose the answer to that one is that you have to be bent the same way in order to even start listening seriously to him. Include me out thanks...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I disregard any online information source that contains adverts...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That sounds about right..... I'll go with that one Kev.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This is another aspect of the rise of populism. Trump must love it!
`Far-right spreads Covid-19 'infodemic' on Facebook' LINK
`....what the WHO has called an "infodemic" looks more like a parallel world, complete with social organisation, activism and gift shops. It is one where fringe politics and fringe health have begun to mix. They both carry the idea that the lockdown isn't about safety but about control, which they promise to "liberate" their followers from. Given its size and energy, it is a world that also may represent a growing threat to the lockdown itself, and the medical and political consensus on which it is grounded.'
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I suppose there always was 'false news' and manipulation for political ends but in the days of print media it was slower to propagate. Today a false fact can be round the world in an instant. I wonder if there could be an unintended consequence buried in there?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Tizer wrote: 04 May 2020, 09:07 This is another aspect of the rise of populism. Trump must love it!
`Far-right spreads Covid-19 'infodemic' on Facebook' LINK
`....what the WHO has called an "infodemic" looks more like a parallel world, complete with social organisation, activism and gift shops. It is one where fringe politics and fringe health have begun to mix. They both carry the idea that the lockdown isn't about safety but about control, which they promise to "liberate" their followers from. Given its size and energy, it is a world that also may represent a growing threat to the lockdown itself, and the medical and political consensus on which it is grounded.'
I cannot see how it can be about control. I can phone who I like, talk about what I want, visit most (reasonable) web sites and have a confidence that within six months for most people travel for them to associate with who they like will be back in place.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The more complicated gadgets get, the more chance of a glitch...
`Android: Why this photo is bricking some phones' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The cure.... Only ever use your own pics for wallpaper. Better still, never use wallpaper! :biggrin2:
(And I know nowt about it)
PS, how do you take a selfie? I can't find any setting that instructs me.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 04 Jun 2020, 03:05 PS, how do you take a selfie?
On mine - switch the camera on. Bottom left is a button to change from front to rear camera. Has two opposing arrows on it. Press that then carry on.

Just tried it - I don't like what I see. . . :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

It's Android so that's the one. I already posted a reply on this about 15 minutes ago but my post disappeared. :sad:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks both. I found it. How the hell did I miss pressing that one?
Just done one and sent it to the kids. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Don't make the mistake of holding the phone too close to your face and taking a photo up your nose! Also have a look at the camera settings - there should be a self-timer and I assume it works with the front camera as well as the back (Panbiker will know). If it does work you can sit the phone on a shelf and take a photo from further away to avoid the wide angle distortion. :smile:

Later...I've looked at Mrs Tiz's phone (same as yours) and the self-timer does work for both cameras. It's the icon in the centre at the top of the screen when you're in camera mode and it offers 3 and 10 seconds. Sit the phone on a shelf at a suitable height so you can stand or sit in front of it. Click on self-timer, select 10 sec, click the camera button and you'll see a circular band sowing you the countdown. To get an even better photo select Portrait in the camera options (you can access these via an icon on the camera screen). This blurs the background so the foreground is more prominent - and it stops you showing everybody what's in your house!
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

You can do the image from a mirror, then flip it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Tiz, I'll experiment when I have time.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Re: COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Post by plaques » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:07 am
This very minute (8.45) just taken deliver of my Moto G7 phone from Argos. (£99.95) + delivery. Mrs P busily unpacking it and reading instructions. Somehow I get the feeling that I'll have to lever it out of her hands.
Next problem is remembering who to get the sim card from that have been recommended on OG. I don't use these things much and nobody wants to talk to me, texting is a minimum. Any ideas.

I'll reply here as we have a dedicated thread for mobile matters.

I have a MotoG phone Ken and have had if or about 6 years now and it is still going strong. I have an EE £1 per week deal which gives you. 30mins talk time, 50 texts and some data allowance that I cant remember, hardly ever use data roaming on my phone. I have computers for that. :extrawink:

I think it was Pluggy that put up a link on the site for 1p mobile, not sure what you get with that though.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Mrs Tiz has the Moto G7 and loves it - it's much faster than her old version (which I now have!). As for provider, she's on what Panbiker's on, the EE £1 deal. Pluggy is on 1p Mobile and so am I, Tripps might be too.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tizer wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 15:54 Tripps might be too.
Yes he is - on his Nokia 225 reserve phone. I rarely use it, and when you get to the end of the billing period they say 'top up or the service will be removed'. That's not good - but actually they don't. My smart phone is on Plusnet at £5.25 pcm for 1.5Gb data and loads of phone calls. That's not much more than a £1 per week, and it's good for calls to mobiles, so that'll do.

I got a bit concerned recently that my collection of 2G phones including the Binatone Brick which is quite a collectors' item now, might soon become worthless, if the service was dropped. I had a quick google, and it seems unlikely - especially as the remote electric and gas meters use it.

Big Kev to confirm please ? . . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tripps wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 18:43
Tizer wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 15:54 Tripps might be too.
Yes he is - on his Nokia 225 reserve phone. I rarely use it, and when you get to the end of the billing period they say 'top up or the service will be removed'. That's not good - but actually they don't....
I've never seen that 'top up or the service will be removed' notice on my 1p Mobile account. And you can set the account to automatically renew so there's no risk of running out.

Return to “Technology & Communication”