WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Stanley »

Now the wind has got up the new flag on Back Co-operative Street is clear. The above is the closest image I can find for it. It's an anarchist symbol, make of that what you will.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Dear me...I wouldn’t know what that means...never having seen owt like it...
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

anyone got any idea where it originated from?
I think it is the flag of anarcho-communists as opposed to collectivist anarchists.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Anarchy in Barlick? Bit like Tooting Popular Front, make sure you keep a look out for your local Wolfie.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The symbol represents Order from Anarchy. A inside the O on a black background which represents resistance.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Hubby has discovered Gorilla Glue. ( it had to happen didn’t it?)
He has completely ruined the shirt he was wearing... :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Actually the flag isn't exactly like that. It has an extended bar on the A. Don't know if that is significant.
We have 45mph winds forecast today. I wonder if the pole will survive? It was bending a lot in lighter winds earlier in the week. Looks dodgy to me in more ways than one.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Marilyn wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 00:20 Hubby has discovered Gorilla Glue. ( it had to happen didn’t it?)
He has completely ruined the shirt he was wearing... :biggrin2:
Hard lines! Sounds like me with super glue, only thing it sticks together are my fingers!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This is another `One Guy' and he's doing a lone job of protecting us all! (Except he's shut down by the virus - perhaps this virus is sent here by aliens to get us while he's in lockdown - oooer, I've probably started a worldwide conspiracy theory! :smile: )
`Extinction events: The man helping protect earth' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Plugged in the latest Parish magazine which arrived this morning.

This Waterlight Project. is of more interest to me than most, since thanks to Mrs Poet next door's kindness, I've met most of the protagonists, but undeniably a thing of beauty, and worthy of a wider audience.

Shows her in the act - of writing a poem. That's nice. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The engine management light came on in the Yeti a couple of days ago, it then went into 'limp mode'. Thoughts were that it's not doing the daily commute so something had bunged up, a trip to Vicarage Motors and the diagnostic confirmed it.
A turbo 'revive' (blow the crap out of the turbo vanes) and all appeared well for about 20 minutes then it went back into limp mode again. General consensus was the MAP sensor wasn't doing what it should (measuring the inlet manifold pressure correctly) so the ECU was keeping the wastegate open. New MAP sensor ordered and booked in for fitting on Tuesday.
Could be a change of plan as the issue appears to have resolved itself today, went to Aldi in Barlick this afternoon, all running normally again and then noticed an increase in idle speed and a 'hot' smell (indication of a DPF regeneration) so decided to take it on a run in a high gear (2000rpm plus) for around 5 miles and it seems to have blown out the cobwebs. One of the pitfalls of a modern diesel engine especially during a lockdown. It sat on the drive for two months without moving...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Big Kev wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 15:08 ....noticed an increase in idle speed and a 'hot' smell (indication of a DPF regeneration) so decided to take it on a run in a high gear (2000rpm plus) for around 5 miles and it seems to have blown out the cobwebs
Some time ago one of my previous diesels was registering high values on the exhaust test. Recommended to put in a cleaner additive and blast it on the motorway. came back OK. There are two types of additive one for keeping the crudge down if you only do short town work ie: a general maintenance additive but use a cleaner additive for blocked filters. I like to do some short fast runs just to warm the system up but its difficult when you can't get out and about.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

I notice that the Irish Government has a minister for public expenditure. This seems like a wise thing (I think uk's first lord of the treasury / chancellor of the duchy of lancaster are not fit for C21st purpose). If able to cover things like procurement contracts (value x quantity x time effectively), then the elusive 'best value' could be sought.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tiz, comets are fairly low down on my list of 'clear and present danger'! :biggrin2: Is that Cannabis growing in the field outside the observatory?
In the days before 'engine management' there was no such thing as 'limp mode'!
Remember Mick's 14 month old Rav4 giving up the ghost in January? He hasn't got it back yet partly due to Covid but also due to the fact that a brand new engine and gearbox hasn't solved the problem. It's now a Warranty issue. All being handled by the insurance as Mick drives round in a courtesy car. No resolution yet but the consensus is Toyota will offer him a new vehicle. Unbelievable!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 01:58 Remember Mick's 14 month old Rav4 giving up the ghost in January? He hasn't got it back yet partly due to Covid but also due to the fact that a brand new engine and gearbox hasn't solved the problem. It's now a Warranty issue.
Looking at changing my car, (now 15+ years old quietly tuning back to earth) most modern cars in the Rave SUV type sector are hybrid construction. It all seems unnecessarily complex to me. A battery driven by a petrol or diesel engine to drive an electric motor through an automatic gearbox all controlled by computer. No separate electric charging in effect relying on carbon based fuel to drive it. All relying on a limited number of mechanics to service them. I shall stick to conventional motors and see what happens to the hybrid sector.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Same reason I'm sticking with a turbodiesel. Spoke to Vicarage Motors this morning, they're keeping the MAP sensor on the shelf for a week, just in case.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Someone around the Wellington Street area (BB18 5AZ) won £1000 on the Postcode Lottery this morning. :smile: :mexwave:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

When we bought our first diesel Golf we were told by the dealer to make sure it got some higher revs now and then. They have so much torque that people tend to tootle around in high gear to keep fuel consumption down and then find they've gummed up the works. Since lockdown we haven't used 5th gear.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tizer wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 09:28 Since lockdown we haven't used 5th gear.
This strategy has been adopted when driving the Yeti.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My diesels always got plenty of clog. :biggrin2: With only 150hp (but lots of torque....) for 32 tons it was the only way to drive the last one and the Bedfords only had 90hp for 14 tons (with very little torque).
Had my second sleep and it's still raining.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I found a Potato in this weeks groceries...it kind of looks like my husband after I spend money :laugh5:
I didn’t have the heart to eat it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Maz, I put a video taken in the polytunnel on the Gardening topic, specially for you. :smile:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Ooooooh , thank you Wendy. I shall take a look.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Prepare for trouble! This is about the e-scooters I mentioned recently. The go ahead will be given for them to be offered by rental firms in the UK and they'll be legal on UK roads (privately owned e-scooters will not be legal - for now). If it's like in other countries it'll cause problems on the pavements as well as the roads.
`Rental e-scooters to be made legal on UK roads from Saturday' LINK
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Already had near misses - mostly with 25 year old mummy riders coming back from school on the cycle lanes on shared footpaths !. Like anyone knows the difference between a rental and private owned one.

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”