Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

The design committee has pointed out to me that as I modified the cross head clevis on the Piston Rod, one of my pins is the wrong size, I shall have to remake it. Not a biggie, only a small rod. Good job I left the collet drawbar in Mrs Harrison! It'll do it when I get to it. Today I shall be in the shed cleaning up and then valve setting. Exciting stuff!
(Bored? How can one be bored when there are so many possibilities for mischief?)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning all
Not much to say today. Its wet and cold, there will be no walking done except to the greenhouse to water the tomatoes. Today will be as yesterday,me sewing, Bob in his workshop. I plan to finish my jeans and if that is achieved earlier than expected I shall start tidying my sewing cum art room. It badly needs it

Have a good day all.
If you keep searching you will find it
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

PanBiker wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 12:55 I think I will play radio this afternoon, give a few points away if I run across any contests on the bands. Lightning maps are clear now so safe to reconnect my antennas. :smile:
Are you an AMATUER Radio person with a call number. Bob is but he hasn’t done it in years.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue, you will definitely get a reply from Ian on that. (You haven't been reading his posts Dearie! :biggrin2: )
I agree entirely about the weather but let's face it we needed two days like this for the crops and the gardens. They have had a proper wet. I've got wet once already and now I shall be doing it again but I'm sat having a drink of tea and (dare I say it?) a smoke of me pipe before I sally forth again. I've done an hour in the shed and made progress, slowly and carefully. This is absolutely the wrong time for a cock up as I am so close to the finishing line! Pics later after walk and breakfast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Sue wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 06:56 Are you an AMATUER Radio person with a call number. Bob is but he hasn’t done it in years.
Indeed, I hold a licenced radio amateur callsign G4LWG, formerly G8UKC. We have had this conversation before Sue but quite a long time ago. I was aware that Bob was also licenced but not active. Just gone 40 years now that I have held a licence. One or two threads on the site to boot. :smile:

Amateur Radio
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice hour in the shed. Tomorrow I can start valve setting!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

PanBiker wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 08:22
Sue wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 06:56 Are you an AMATUER Radio person with a call number. Bob is but he hasn’t done it in years.
Indeed, I hold a licenced radio amateur callsign G4LWG, formerly G8UKC. We have had this conversation before Sue but quite a long time ago. I was aware that Bob was also licenced but not active. Just gone 40 years now that I have held a licence. One or two threads on the site to boot. :smile:

Amateur Radio
Yes I had a feeling we had. I asked Bob about it this morning and he says he isn’t sure if he has a workable radio at the moment. Years ago into it in a big way and used to talk to his Dad a lot down in Devon , but after his Dad died, in 1999 it sort of tailed off a bit. When he retired early in 2004 he took up model engineering, joining the club in Rochdale. This was partly to make new friends locally. He had both lived and worked away for 15 years so his local colleagues and acquaintances had basically disappeared . Model engineering has sort of taken over from radio, especially as he is now a key officer, the man holing the purse strings as they say!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sue, a good man for the job. He'd enjoy today's valve setting! That's the aim for today.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning all

Another dreary one. There may be a window of opportunity this afternoon to go to the local post office as I have a parcel to return, one of the problems of only shopping online. Apart from this local post office I have not been in a shop since March 17 th in France. The weather has stopped us walking for over a week so I am glad I have my sewing. I can’t even garden as it has rained non stop for three days. I need to get out there to dead head some roses and pick my courgettes. I ran , it felt like swimming , through the rain yesterday to water my tomatoes which are now getting rather tall and with flowers. Some are up to the top of their strings so the system has had to be extended! My pilates lesson yesterday was a break from the grey of the day. To day is the double pilates and yoga at teatime.

Yesterday I spoke to Eve and Briony at separate times on Whats app. I decided if I spoke to them separately that B may be more chatty. It worked . It seems so long since I have seen them, as Eve grows more confident B seems to grow less, although she was more chatty spoken to by herself .No school for her this week as she only gets one day a fortnight. I do so want to give her a hug. But even if we manage to get there for the day, possibly on Saturday ( That is the plan) we won’t stay over its not fair on them, we still won’t be allowed to touch . We have to be content with a virtual kiss by wrapping our arms round the phone and getting up close to the screen. It works but breaks my heart. There seems to be no break in this ruling grandmas don’t touch.

Anyway today jeans nearly finished, then trip to postoffice and clean sewing room. No sun for a few days I believe

Stay safe have a good day.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue. As usual I am sat drawing breath when I see your post after two and a half hours of honest endeavour on the parallel motion. I like the idea of you swimming to the greenhouse to water the tomatoes. You could have danced in the rain like the kids in the garden fronts the other night but it was warmer then of course. I had two wet walks..... Back later with a report from the shed.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Sue wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 16:50

Amateur Radio
Yes I had a feeling we had. I asked Bob about it this morning and he says he isn’t sure if he has a workable radio at the moment. Years ago into it in a big way and used to talk to his Dad a lot down in Devon , but after his Dad died, in 1999 it sort of tailed off a bit. When he retired early in 2004 he took up model engineering, joining the club in Rochdale. This was partly to make new friends locally. He had both lived and worked away for 15 years so his local colleagues and acquaintances had basically disappeared . Model engineering has sort of taken over from radio, especially as he is now a key officer, the man holing the purse strings as they say!
There is a Radio Society (meets Tuesdays when meeting allowed) in Stockport. AM/DX and technology old and new)
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Whyperion wrote: 30 Jun 2020, 19:12
Sue wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 16:50

Amateur Radio
There is a Radio Society (meets Tuesdays when meeting allowed) in Stockport. AM/DX and technology old and new)
Bob used to be a member of both the Bury and the Rochdale clubs, but when he was working away from home attendance became rare. I think the Rochdale one folded in the end. Bob says he knows about the Stockport one, he had a work colleague who was a member, he may still be so. Thanks for the info.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Catching up after a Big Sleep!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Gosh I ache this morning, I must have worked hard in my exercise classes!

I finished my jeans yesterday but am waiting for some buttons from eBay. The buttonholes can then be completed. That was the morning taken care of. In the afternoon we did a very short circular walk to the post office and back, about 3 miles. It drizzled on and off but in general remained dry. The rest of the day was spent starting cleaning my sewing cum art and craft room which I shall continue with today after my last history lesson of the term. I can’t remember today’s topic.

The cleaning is also a clearing out but I started by giving my machine a good dust and defluff then polished the outer case. I then thoroughly cleaned and tidied out the sewing cabinet in which it sits. Surprisingly I did not find anything that I had previously lost ! I shall work round the room systematically. I did the art drawers way back in February , but my material stash is in rather a jumble. I am slowly making three piles. Firstly junk, large useful scraps and finally unused full pieces. I put the latter into polythene bags after folding neatly. The other two would normally be sent to a school or for shredding through the hospice but I doubt anybody wants them at the moment. I shall put my thinking cap on! Anyway as I said I will systematically clean the room. I think I have a few days work ahead. Its late pilates today so should get a good run.

The day looks better, we may walk.

Take care all, have a good day.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm laughing at you Sue! (Good morning!) I see that your response to aching is to plan a day of work! I'd be having a rest. I think you must be a better Puritan than I am!
I'm having a breather before second walk and breakfast after two hours in the shed doing useful things. I shall report later... I think it's been a good morning so far. All of you can judge that after I post Shed Matters. (Bob would have enjoyed it this morning.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 07:30 I'm laughing at you Sue! (Good morning!) I see that your response to aching is to plan a day of work! I'd be having a rest. I think you must be a better Puritan than I am!
I'm having a breather before second walk and breakfast after two hours in the shed doing useful things. I shall report later... I think it's been a good morning so far. All of you can judge that after I post Shed Matters. (Bob would have enjoyed it this morning.)
The aches have more or less gone after a hot shower and moving around. Its the lying still that caused it :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good!

Bob would have enjoyed it again! We are very close to a finish.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Bob had a read, he fully understood the issues and problems, interesting reading he said.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Wishing Chinatyke a Happy Birthday :drummer: :happybd: :mexwave:
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Happy Birthday Chinatyke! :thumbsup5: :drinks2:
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Oh China it’s your Birthday!
Wishing you a great day 🌈🎂🍷🌼

What will you be getting up to 😉
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Thanks. I've already had calls from my youngest daughter in California and my friend Elaine in Dunedin and my wife in Liuzhou. Isn't technology wonderful? A small birthday cake was consumed last Saturday before my wife went to see her sister. A new watch arrived this morning to replace the one on which I broke the glass. Exactly the same make and style but without the scratches. I'm like Mr Bean opening my present to myself. :smile:
Another 5 quid spent! Cheaper to buy a new one than bother changing the battery!

On my own, so no mischief, and a quiet day.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

chinatyke wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 13:51 Thanks. I've already had calls from my youngest daughter in California and my friend Elaine in Dunedin and my wife in Liuzhou. Isn't technology wonderful? A small birthday cake was consumed last Saturday before my wife went to see her sister. A new watch arrived this morning to replace the one on which I broke the glass. Exactly the same make and style but without the scratches. I'm like Mr Bean opening my present to myself. :smile:
Another 5 quid spent! Cheaper to buy a new one than bother changing the battery!

On my own, so no mischief, and a quiet day.
Normally I say have a good day, seems like I am too late. Happy Birthday
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Thanks Sue.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I hope the chickens laid you some special eggs, China. Glad you had a good birthday.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”