Today I shall be Mainly...

Sue
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Sue »

Morning

Lovely morning. Yesterday afternoon turned out fine. I finished my jeans apart from the buttonhole. In the morning I had to make a trip to the pharmacist near the Doctors. I had opened the inhalers sent to me when I was in France to find I had been given an incorrect prescription, the one I used to have. I thought it was the fault of the pharmacist but it appears it was the receptionist at the GP surgery. ( I am not convinced it wasn’t a bit of both ) Nothing wrong with the medication except I use a spacer to inhale the asthma medication, but this type did not attach. It was all very efficiently dealt with. A trip to the surgery was interesting. I had to ring an intercom and someone came and spoke to me through the door and arranged a new prescription to be collected after 4.30.

As we thought the world would be collecting their prescriptions from the surgery at that time, we decided to walk the 2+miles to arrive for 5pm. No queue and none in the chemist either. I asked if my repeat prescription was ready that I ordered only the day before. It wasn’t but they did the two together so no need to go back. We set off walking back but it was such a pleasant evening we decided to extend our walk up towards Rooley Moor and drop down into Healey Dell. We managed the 1.75 miles uphill on hard pavements without a stop, we couldn’t do that 8 weeks ago. We passed my sewing teachers house but resisted the temptation to call for a chat at the door. Chats can be rather long. We got home at 6.30 pm and having expended all those calories, promptly sat and had a beer in the garden!

Today is not planned apart from dance exercise at 10.00 am . I shall be monitoring my tooth as the gum near it is a little tender today! Yesterdays announcement over new restrictions in Greater Manchester and surrounding, will not have a great impact except we will be unable to visit or be visited by Claire and family. We generally have no other visitors. Our friend Kath was going to come and cut Bobs hair. There seems ambiguity as to wether restrictions are no visitors in your house or house and garden. I am convinced the timing of this is to prevent large family Eid parties. I feel for the Muslims, its like having our family Christmas celebrations cancelled at the last minute

Have a good day, enjoy the sun
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue, your right, it's a lovely morning, my second trot with jack will be tee shirt only. Sorry to hear that your tooth is giving trouble, sooner you get that sorted the better!
As usual I am having a sit down after two very productive hours in the shed, I shall post later. So far it's a very good morning apart from the new restrictions which apply to us as well. It won't make any difference to me, I am convinced that nothing has changed and that I need to shield. I'm managing this very well and don't feel restricted at all.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 31 Jul 2020, 07:15 Morning Sue, your right, it's a lovely morning, my second trot with jack will be tee shirt only. Sorry to hear that your tooth is giving trouble, sooner you get that sorted the better!
As usual I am having a sit down after two very productive hours in the shed, I shall post later. So far it's a very good morning apart from the new restrictions which apply to us as well. It won't make any difference to me, I am convinced that nothing has changed and that I need to shield. I'm managing this very well and don't feel restricted at all.
I wasn’t sure wether you were included in the restrictions. I have just read the official government guidelines, and it seems our meal out with friends is off the cards next week. We can only dine out with people who live with us or bubble with us. I completely understand why this has been do e, but two hours notice, when many people will already have gone to bed, and some do not use modern forms of communication. All those poor Muslim ladies up till all hours last night preparing feasts for today and get up finding it won’t happen. I don’t advocate the big family gatherings in any way, but just two small family units cannot now get together where as before they could. This could be seen as a racist judgement unless he has all the statistics to back it as they are the main group affected by this action. Like you it is minimal to us. We are having a picnic in Claires local park , behind her house, tomorrow for our weekly meet up and delivery of cardboard boxes for packing. We are making the most of the present, because after their move in two weeks, although not far away, visits will be less frequent and will have to be more planned
Last edited by Sue on 31 Jul 2020, 07:26, edited 1 time in total.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes Sue, Pendle is under the same restrictions as you as far as I understand.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

This decision seems like a lightbulb moment to be honest. It has suddenly dawned on someone that a fairly large chunk of the population in our neck of the woods would be having family gatherings. It's not unusual, it happens quite regularly. It would have been perfectly possible to have announced this at the tail end of last week or at least given more notice than the three hours. It's actually disgraceful in my view. Our Muslim friends don't even have the benefit of the get out of jail free card of the pub. Is this a dictate based on race? Doesn't look like anything else to me.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It does seem like that Ian. Not sure if it is deliberate or just thoughtless.

The cylinder is finished and ready for fitting. A nice morning! I have it in the kitchen as an inspirational ornament. I think it may be the best one I have ever made.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

PanBiker wrote: 31 Jul 2020, 08:34 This decision seems like a lightbulb moment to be honest. It has suddenly dawned on someone that a fairly large chunk of the population in our neck of the woods would be having family gatherings. It's not unusual, it happens quite regularly. It would have been perfectly possible to have announced this at the tail end of last week or at least given more notice than the three hours. It's actually disgraceful in my view. Our Muslim friends don't even have the benefit of the get out of jail free card of the pub. Is this a dictate based on race? Doesn't look like anything else to me.
My thoughts exactly. Its deliberate Stanley and it has to be everyone rather than a few localities or racism could be shouted.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have seen since that a councillor from Bradford said openly that Eid was a factor.
Today I shall be attacking castings with big files to knock the flash off them.

A nice change from tiny 7BA studs and nuts!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Beautiful busy day yesterday, I was very tired when we came to bed. After dance exercise, I took the opportunity to do a bit of weeding and dead heading in the garden whilst it was still fairly cool. I also cut back two hostas that were rather lacy due to snail activity. In the future I will remove them and replace with something less tasty to les escargots. The front garden was sprouting little aquilegia plants every where. This was followed by a nice shower, hair wash and lunch in the garden in the shade, where we remained for an hour or so. We discussed how we could enjoy the afternoon outside without a strenuous walk and opted for a casual stroll m not wearing walking gearround the reservoir at Dunnockshaw. We drove there with the roof down on the car, a rare and enjoyable event in the UK. Whilst driving we changed our plans and parked by the SINGING RINGING tree on Crown Point, Burnley. There was a lovely breeze up there, and it wasn’t busy. First we walked the paths on the other side of the road to get a view of the reservoir but sticking to our plan of a stroll we didn’t walk to it. Having done a circuit we went down to the singing ringing tree. Unfortunately all the paths were hard and stony and my feet were j killing me after the 3.5 miles which was much further than intended. Back home it was a beer in the garden in what had become a rather sultry atmosphere. There were a few spots of rain but barely noticeable.

Today is Bacup market, cleaning, then a picnic lunch with Claire in the small park behind their house, as we are not allowed in now. Light showers are forecast here but it may not be so there. No other plans for the day, take it as it comes,

Have a good day everyone
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue, it all sounds far to energetic for me!
This morning I have had two and a half hours in the shed and did useful things in 75F heat, a legacy from yesterday. Lots of filing with big files (an hour and a half) but then a relaxing hour in the lathe. All went well, no cock-ups.

We are close to a finished flywheel. Nice change.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Just watched the Whitaker’s Chocolate story.
Love their Coconut Chocolate!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be finishing the flywheel and moving on to the Horizontal Mill and my box bed!
I hope you all have as good and interesting day as I will!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Well yesterday we did our trip to the market but spent the rest of the morning preparing our picnic in the park. Needless to say it was raining , but by picnic time it had receded to a drizzle. The park , which is just behind Claire’s house was ideal. There was a large tree under which we could shelter, set up our chairs at appropriate distances apart and a large plastic cloth on the ground. It was near the playground so Erin could play on swings and slides and woods nearby so we could ‘go on an adventure´ later. Most of the time we were the only ones there, although the occasional dog walker drifted through. As did a deer, but Erin and I missed that as were following the trail of dens through the wood and having an ‘exciting and mysterious time’ . Erin has a wonderful imagination , every tree, every branch involved a story of some description. All in it was a typical damp British picnic.
2096E6FE-990B-49A2-801A-F9FDCC9A44ED.jpeg
After a couple of hours Erin was ready to go home so we departed too, after an exchange of cardboard boxes for packing from us, and white plant pots, destined for the skip to us. The house removal is now reset for August 24th. Back home we had a brew, then did the cleaning. All finished by 4.30 pm. By which time the sun was out. I pottered in the garden mainly cutting back the strawberry plants, old leaves and runners. I don’t want the runners this year, no space for more plants and I did root 20 runners last year to replace some plants this year . Our evening meal was late, Chinese banquet from the local Chinese take away, of which there is enough for another meal .

This morning I have a yoga, followed by my weekly chill in the bath, pedicure and manicure. ( I don’t see a visit to the girl who does my pedicure happening anytime soon !) This afternoon Bob has a socially distancing meeting with a model engineer club member who wants an official boiler test, Bob being an official tester. I have no plans but fabric arrived on Friday to make myself a new tracksuit for going to and from pilates if and when I go back to the studio. ( they had their first streamed studio class this week which went well) I usually get my tracksuits from Matalan, but was disappointed with the choice last time, so decided to make my own. It will basically be a pair of stretch warm trousers and a stretch warm top with a bit of style to it, the pattern for the top has not yet arrived.

Thats it, have a good day everyone
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds as though you made the best of a bad job with the picnic Sue. I shall approach my daughter about a pedicure, she is tested regularly being a care worker. I think the risk is minimal and worth taking for the good of my feet!
Off to walk Jack after two hours in the shed. I'll be back shortly.
Later... a good two hours in the shed, we have a finished flywheel ready for fitting and I have a true base on my column. Nice.

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm currently enjoying the shed immensely, I shall be in there again this morning.
(I never give a thought to the world outside while I am in there, in itself a marvellous therapy and beyond price.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Yesterday was unexpectedly sunny after a wet start, although there was a cold wind. As well as planned activities I managed to get both washing and ironing done. I like to clear everything at the weekend. House cleaned , laundry cleaned and ironed , its a good feeling .😊

I sent a few messages to friends and neighbours in France to check out the situation there and also did a bit of general research. The feedback is that the increase in numbers of Covid is very location specific, locations being the areas the french themselves holiday at. Local to our house there appear to be no concerns apart from wearing a mask at all times in the near town of La Gacilly, which does get a lot of tourists. Macron is not planning or talking about a lockdown. So this week we will be monitoring the government sites to see if there is a change in legislation. At the moment our trip to France is still on, but this time I shall make sure I have medication with me for two months!

Today I have nothing planned after 10.00am pilates . This class is being streamed from the studio today for the first time. Later I do want to lift some hostas and plant them in a large tub . They have grown so big they have taken over the flower border. A bit of a general plant cut back in the back garden maybe on the cards, depending on how enthusiastic I feel for the task 😂

Have a good day
Last edited by Sue on 03 Aug 2020, 08:18, edited 1 time in total.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Give my fancy wrought hand rail a coat of paint. Its now getting quite a heavy lump, approaching 100 lbs. Then start to think about how to bolt it down and what other bits and pieces that need making. Design committee required.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If you hit any problems Ken and need something you can't get, give me a shout.
Sue, that sounds like a flexible day during which you don't need to knock yourself out! Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day! (She says no, I wasn't in charge....)
As usual I am having a recovery cycle after two hours in the shed. I keep telling myself it's light exercise and good for me. My legs don't agree! They seem to see it as extreme demands. Ah well, nothing a pot of tea and a minute with my pipe won't cure. No sun but it's looking quite bright out there.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Standing is considered an exercise in itself. Maintaining a balance requires quite a number of reflexes Sue could probably tell us all about them.
You could do what the old monks did and build a mercy seat that clipped on one of the lathes. :extrawink:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We did our daily walk. (After 3 loads of washing, cleaning the bathroom/toilet, and hubby washed the car, and I prepared dinner). I think that is enough for one day...oh...I did 3 hours of Ancestry too...and I trimmed a few plants... :laugh5:
Oh ...and I listened to Women’s Hour on BBC Channel 4. ( through my fantastic new Sonos, which I can get world Radio thru via the IPad)
Is that enough for one day?
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Happy big birthday Wendy.🎂🥂 :mexwave: :mexwave:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Yeah...best wishes to you Wendy...bless you! :good:
I do hope something good happens for you today, despite the need for social distancing!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Thank you! We are going to have a good day and the sun is shining! Meeting with friends at Letcliffe and taking a picnic up Weets with a small bottle of Prosecco and plastic champagne flutes. :laugh5: Col has baked some low carb lemony buns. I have finally downloaded Zoom and hope to connect with family this evening.
I've just unpacked and tried my present which is just what I asked for... a cordless strimmer! 🌻🌻🌻
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Happy Birthday Wendy. :drummer: :happybd: :dance2:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

A strimmer? ( better make that a LARGE bottle of Prosecco!)
Let him carry you home in his arms...

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”