POLITICS CORNER

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: POLITICS CORNER

Post by Tizer »

They and we are on different planets! :smile: :laugh5:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David Whipp has just been on WATO making some very cogent and critical remarks about how payments to those self-isolating is working in Pendle. Eight only have applied and of them four have been refused. Null points.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Another great episode of Americast today. Americast
`With wildfires devastating the West Coast, we look at whether environmental issues will sway voters’ minds. As polls in Florida tighten, we deep dive into the diverse Hispanic vote. And how could the election affect post-Brexit trade negotiations between the US and the UK?'

As well as the main topics there are always extra titbits from Maitlis, Sopel and Zurcher. For example Sopel related how the skies in New York are now darkened by smoke that has drifted 3000 miles at high altitude from the West Coast wildfires where whole towns are being razed to the ground. The rest of America is beginning to realise just how dangerous those fires are, and not just to folk in the West.
Also the team discussed Bob Woodward's book on Trump and how he taped everything Trump said. Woodward has done books on past presidents but the information was always checked and edited by White House staff before publication. Trump talked to Woodward alone, everything was recorded with the President's full knowledge and the White House were given no opportunity to make any changes.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 12:31 David Whipp has just been on WATO making some very cogent and critical remarks about how payments to those self-isolating is working in Pendle. Eight only have applied and of them four have been refused. Null points.
That's because they could only find 8 workers and 4 of those were found to be on benefits!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

chinatyke wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 16:06 and 4 of those were found to be on benefits!
Seems it's only available to people on benefits. :smile:

Starting with a trial in Blackburn with Darwen, Pendle and Oldham to ensure the process works, eligible individuals who test positive with the virus will receive £130 for their 10-day period of self-isolation. Other members of their household, who have to self-isolate for 14 days, will be entitled to a payment of £182.
Non-household contacts advised to self-isolate through NHS Test and Trace will also be entitled to a payment of up to £182, tailored to the individual length of their isolation period. It is designed to support people who are unable to work from home while self-isolating, either after testing positive, or after being identified by NHS Test and Trace as living in the same household as – or coming into contact with – someone who has tested positive. It will be available to people currently receiving either Universal Credit or Working Tax Credit.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

China, please don't poke fun at the poor....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report of the death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, a liberal Supreme Court judge justly famed for her championing of women's rights and her fight against inequality. This is a good article which lays out clearly the political dangers and the long term consequences of Trump crashing in to appoint a conservative candidate before the election which is only 46 days away. The only certainty is that the Democrats will fight against this.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

In July, knowing that RBG was ill the Americast team discussed the potential danger of her dying before the election. Now we are unfortunately in that dangerous situation. It's another reason why I keep raising deep concerns about the coming US election.
The BBC have also done an obituary on the lady....
`Ruth Bader Ginsburg: Obituary of the Supreme Court justice' LINK
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Must mention this - I drowsily heard an interview with a lady on LBC as I was waking up this morning. Didn't have a clue as to who or what she was. I was impressed by her clear thinking, good diction and expression. No evasion- in contrast to most other politicians.

I checked her out today, and I'm tipping her for high office. It's a bit disappointing to find that she is in the Labour Party :smile: but she ticks all the required boxes and is described as BAME and Moslem. Sorry Heidi Allen, you had your chance, but I think I have a new heroine. :laugh5:

I think I'll ask Paddy Power - what price for future P.M.?

Her name won't be so easy to remember, but I'm sure we'll hear a lot more of it

She is Nesil Caliskan. Take note.

PS looks like I'm not her only fan - and confirms that I wasn't dreaming :smile:

Terry Paul @TerryPaul_NEC · 2h
Totally. Just heard @Nesil_Caliskan on @lbc talking to @mattfrei. Clear, insightful and knowledgeable, unlike our Government

PPS - From the leader of Basildon Council.
If you want to hear what cool, calm leadership sounds like in a crisis, I hope you heard @Nesil_Caliskan on various national radio stations today. One of @LGA_Labour’s best.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall take your advice David and watch out for her. It has come to something hasn't it when the ability to communicate truthfully, clearly and directly becomes noteworthy.
Watching to 'performances' of our leaders over the last three days has increasingly enraged me. Even in a dire situation when more than ever we need clarity and honest communication the normal mode of 'never directly answer the question' is still the guiding principle. I listened to Michael Gove yesterday smoothly(!) avoiding giving any meaningful information and it confirmed my belief that what is uppermost in their minds is survival in power.
Kier Starmer tells the Labour Party to face the reality of losing, he is right. The same advice should be taken by those in power. Forget spin, tell the truth and admit that we are in a big hole made no better by incompetent and stupid policies and dogma. The truth is we face the worst crisis in social and economic terms to hit the UK since WW2 and they compound it by pursuing Brexit. They all know this but will not admit it. Bunker time!
Later...As if to emphasise my point about Brexit Gove has written to the hauliers suggesting that queues of wagons can be expected in January even if there is a deal. Not made clear is the additional requirement that the EU will insist on current passports to be held by drivers.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not sure why the banner is blue....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report on actions being considered by Rishi Sunak. They include further help for businesses and the scrapping of the Autumn Budget.
He has an uphill battle. The latest sounds coming from business and economic commentators is universally bad. We are in for a bad winter!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This won't surprise OGers...
`US election: Trump won't commit to peaceful transfer of power' LINK
`US President Donald Trump has refused to commit to a peaceful transfer of power if he loses November's election. "Well, we'll have to see what happens," the president told a news conference at the White House. "You know that." Mr Trump also said he believed the election result could end up in the US Supreme Court, as he again cast doubt on postal voting....
But...
`Mitt Romney, a Republican senator who is a rarity in his party because he occasionally criticises the president, tweeted on Wednesday: "Fundamental to democracy is the peaceful transition of power; without that, there is Belarus. "Any suggestion that a president might not respect this Constitutional guarantee is both unthinkable and unacceptable".'
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There must be a limit to how far Trump will be allowed to go rogue. I hope we are reaching it. We are in a surreal situation with him at the moment.
Is there a similar tide moving here? I am thinking in particular about the Cummings factor. If you are of a sensitive disposition do not read this week's report in PE on Artificial Intelligence and Cummings.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It's fascinating on the latest Americast episode to hear what a Democrat and a Republican politician have to say, as well as getting the inside view on the Supreme Court problem...

The death of the US Supreme Court Justice, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, is still dominating the conversation in Washington. Jon and Emily look at who could replace her and when. Also on the podcast, Democratic rising star Jamaal Bowman explains how he’ll challenge the status quo in Washington. And Californian Republican candidate Erin Cruz discusses why she won’t dismiss the QAnon conspiracy theorists.
LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've been listening to the 13:45 pieces about Timothy McVey and his genesis into a full time rebel. Lots of clues in there to the extreme American cults, they are all connected. It's a disease.
What strikes me at the moment is that with the mounting pressures of Covid (Doubling every week?), imminent Brexit and the dire state of the economy, nobody in government is actually admitting how bad the situation is.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

...not to mention the climate change bomb ticking away in the background!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Indeed Peter. Just heard that one question on Question Time is ;"Should there be a border in the Irish Sea and on the Scottish border?". Answer no! Nor with Wales either but all these things are possible now under the crazy policies of the Brexiteers.
Mind you, they've probably ensured the end of the border between the Six Counties and the Republic!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thought about Bob's Bit on appointing Supreme Court Justices when I saw THIS news. He is hell bent on getting a solid Republican majority on the panel. Also it's a good election move. You've got to admit he's running a very astute campaign.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I might not like Boris and his government but I'm very pleased with this announcement. Britain may no longer be a military leader but it shows we can still set an example to the rest of the world on how to secure a better future. Two fingers up to Trump! :drummer:
`Coronavirus: UK pledges £500m to global vaccine-sharing scheme' LINK
`The UK is to give £500m to a new global vaccine-sharing scheme designed to ensure treatments for Covid-19 are distributed fairly. Prime Minister Boris Johnson made the announcement in a speech to the United Nations general assembly. He called on world leaders to overcome their differences as he set out plans to prevent future global pandemics. He also promised extra funding for the World Health Organization. Mr Johnson told his foreign counterparts at the UN that the "notion of the international community looks tattered" after the Covid-19 crisis. He called for states to "reach across borders and repair these ugly rifts", as he announced a plan, developed with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and The Wellcome Trust, to help stop future pandemics. The proposals include developing a global network of "zoonotic hubs" to identify dangerous pathogens before they jump from animals to humans, as well as improving manufacturing capacity for treatments and vaccines..'.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I thought that was good also Peter and thoroughly approve. However, one swallow doesn't make a summer and in many other respects gives the impression that he hasn't read or understood the brief and leaves decisions to others, in this case the Cummings faction. I fear that man is very busy behind the scenes and has his own agenda. This is not open government and gradually even his own back-benchers are wakening up to this.
I heard John Bercow showing a lot of common sense on this matter in an interview on R4.
Matters military. There is nothing widely available on the web but Private Eye raises some interesting questions about the MOD and service people's accommodation in this weeks edition. All is not well and this could shortly be a very pressing matter. PE is usually right in these matters.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This too from Boris Johnson. Perhaps they should get a different PM and make him the cheerleader for Britain's role in promoting climate and environment issues. I think his close shave with covid changed his views on such matters...
`UK can be 'Saudi Arabia of wind power' - PM' LINK

No surprise here!...
`Donald Trump 'paid $750 in federal income taxes in 2016 and 2017' - NY Times' LINK
`Donald Trump paid just $750 (£587) in federal income tax both in 2016, the year he ran for the US presidency, and in his first year in the White House, The New York Times says. The newspaper - which says it obtained tax records for Mr Trump and his companies over two decades - also says that he paid no income taxes at all in 10 of the previous 15 years. The records reveal "chronic losses and years of tax avoidance", it says. Mr Trump called the report "fake news"....In a public filing, President Trump said he made at least $434.9m in 2018. The newspaper disputes this, alleging that his tax returns show the president had instead gone into the red, with $47.4m in losses..'.

`Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden has not commented so far, but his campaign team highlighted on Twitter that teachers, firefighters and nurses all paid much more than $750 in tax..'.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think Johnson is drawn to feel-good matters by the need for him to do something to counter the otherwise dreadful record. Perhaps one eye on the future also, there is little doubt his path is going to become even more rocky. I note various 'experts' whistling into the wind and suggesting that the sheer awfulness of the Post Brexit prospect could force the negotiators into compromise. Don't hold your breath. Attitudes towards Brexit have become almost a religious matter in both the EU and the UK. Like my shellfish, the parties have adopted a position and a set of 'red lines' and eaten their brains.
As for Trump, again, don't hold your breath! 40 years ago when I was in NY I was surprised to find an almost universal belief that Trump was a lousy business man, was losing money and fighting bankruptcy and was almost certainly dodging tax as he was under investigation by the IRS. What's changed?
Add to that the fact that, like it or not, he is pursuing an effective re-election strategy and I see no cause for any celebrations. What is needed is a really strong counter attack from the Democrats not reliance on the authorities.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC account of last night's debate between Biden and Trump. I leave it to you to judge whether this was a debate or a pantomime. I don't see how Biden could have done any better in the face of continued interruptions. Trump is quite obviously going to disrupt this campaign using every dirty trick in the book. Question is, will it work? One thing is certain, this was neither a debate or democracy in action. Disgraceful.
Later, I hear that the delectable Priti Patel is considering 'offshoring' asylum seekers and suggested Ascension Island. Why does this not surprise me? (LINK)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 30 Sep 2020, 03:16 Later, I hear that the delectable Priti Patel is considering 'offshoring' asylum seekers and suggested Ascension Island. Why does this not surprise me?
Not a lot different to the old practice of banishing folk to Van Demon's Land. Perpetrated by the same types who believe themselves Lords of the Universe. We should have got shut at the same time as the French. It's disgusting.
Ian

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”