Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

"I did not do pilates and yoga but sat in the conservatory with a glass of wine instead."
I thoroughly approve Sue. As my mate Ted used to say, "I'm for nourishment, not punishment!"
Just had two hours in the shed (I was in there early this morning.) and all is well, no alarums and excursions this time!
I shall have a breather, cup of tea and a smoke, then go for a short walk, then breakfast and posting on Shed Matters. (Bob has been very kind to me this morning and it's appreciated.)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Sue wrote: 16 Sep 2020, 06:23 I can fully understand how he feels , even as a couple the boredom stakes are high. We would go and see him but we are not allowed. The Greater Manchester restrictions are here for the duration as there is no way the numbers are going to go down which means we are not allowed to see anyone inside a building or outside except in a public place such as a park and we cannot meet at a restaurant etc . We cannot even see Julia and family as that is a three hour journey away and to stand in a park afterwards just to drive back is not on. However at least we can get out and about, which he can’t.
I'm fully aware that we have to take extreme measures not to pass this virus on but the pressure to report your neighbours together with conflicting exceptions to the rule is taking it into George Orwell's 1984 land where children reported their parents for minor breaches of the 'rules'. Am I my brothers keeper? Yes I am, but I take the view that anyone who 'thinks' and weighs up the dangers before they act will be of minimal danger to society and will probably promote a positive outcome. The real danger comes from the non-thinkers who have no concern for the welfare of others at all.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

My ex husband used to say ‘I’m built for comfort, not speed’. He loved his food, probably still does.
Whenever he needed to lose weight he used to blame it on his ‘stomach bones’. :surprised:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

My current husband accuses me of making him put on weight. I am not responsible for the rubbish he chooses to snack on, or the fact that he spends most of his days in a computer chair.
I keep saying that he needs to start cooking! He needs to take a positive interest in what he chooses to put in his own mouth. It is a simple message...”eat less and move more”.
( I refuse to take responsibility) :good:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

plaques wrote: 16 Sep 2020, 07:14
Sue wrote: 16 Sep 2020, 06:23 I can fully understand how he feels , even as a couple the boredom stakes are high. We would go and see him but we are not allowed. The Greater Manchester restrictions are here for the duration as there is no way the numbers are going to go down which means we are not allowed to see anyone inside a building or outside except in a public place such as a park and we cannot meet at a restaurant etc . We cannot even see Julia and family as that is a three hour journey away and to stand in a park afterwards just to drive back is not on. However at least we can get out and about, which he can’t.
I'm fully aware that we have to take extreme measures not to pass this virus on but the pressure to report your neighbours together with conflicting exceptions to the rule is taking it into George Orwell's 1984 land where children reported their parents for minor breaches of the 'rules'. Am I my brothers keeper? Yes I am, but I take the view that anyone who 'thinks' and weighs up the dangers before they act will be of minimal danger to society and will probably promote a positive outcome. The real danger comes from the non-thinkers who have no concern for the welfare of others at all.
I so agree with this comment, but whilst there are so many around not taking care the rest of us have to be extra careful
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sue, you and Ken are in good company. When an outstanding thinker like Lord Sumption expresses the same view, sensible people have a rethink.

I shall be working on the eccentric, giving Kath my butcher's order and having my flu jab this afternoon. Oh, and my weekly shop at the Co-op as soon as they open while it is quiet.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Well yesterday was not a particularly nice day, dull and dry is about all I can say, even a bit of fine mist in the air. Thats Rochdale for you and in our case up in the hills. It was however a busy day.

The morning was taken up with the hairdressers, but then after lunch I cleaned the greenhouse. At the hairdressers there was a discussion about how nice June weather had been. I said it had been wet and often cold but with some fine evenings. I eventually read extracts from my blog which In one extract I said it had rained every day for the last ten days. The conversation changed to , well May was nice! My blog is actually my diary from the beginning of March. Lockdown summer. Perhaps I should collate it😆

If it had been really sunny yesterday I could not have cleared the greenhouse . I cleared two grow bags of tomatoes and the three troughs of summer squash , the latter not having produced a single viable female flower despite flowering profusely all summer. The green tomatoes are now on covered trays ripening in the conservatory, though they may become chutney. The compost was dug over and recycled back into clean troughs and I filled them with the begonias from the garden.

The whole greenhouse was swept and cleaned up and the begonia troughs put in there. The pot of hyacinths left to dry out from Christmas were showing green, so I topped up the compost, watered them and covered them with a sack. Perhaps I should have out them in a cool dark place, though it will be cool out there soon. I then picked the last of the rhubarb, there was plenty but some dud not look appetising, and then weeded and dug over my little vegetable corner. It only has chard growing in it now.

Before pilates, which was the late class, I managed to send my next genealogy assessment. Only one left to do

Today is pilates this morning, followed by a little more garden tidying. I still have some perennials that have finished flowering to cut back. I seem to have a second showing of poppies which surprised me. This afternoon we shall walk to the Drs, two miles there, for our flu vaccinations, and then may complete a circuit. Not too arduous as I have fast yoga at 6.30 pm .

Thats it
Have a good day everyone.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Have you tried fried green tomatoes with bacon and egg Sue? I like them, a nice sharp taste.
I shall have my flu jab this afternoon also but at the pharmacy.

Today was more work on the eccentric but cut short by my weekly Co-op shop which I do as soon as they open as there is nobody about. So, two of today's goals achieved! All that remains is the jab this afternoon.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 06:59 Have you tried fried green tomatoes with bacon and egg Sue? I like them, a nice sharp taste.
I don’t like fried tomatoes, its about the only way I won’t eat them. I don’t like the skins particularly, or the core I always cut the latter off when I cut tomatoes for anything. It brings to mind my Dads cooking again🙄
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

An Australian mate brought me a jar of green tomato chutney from Oz. Can't remember the brand but it was stuff to die for!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Never heard of them till I saw the film. Fried Green Tomatoes based on the book by Fannie Flagg which I thought was great. The bee charmer sticks in my memory. Still haven't eaten any, and I like fried tomatoes skins and all. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

chinatyke wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 16:09 An Australian mate brought me a jar of green tomato chutney from Oz. Can't remember the brand but it was stuff to die for!
My brother has a Thai girlfriend, they used to have a business making sauces and chutneys ( that was before his strokes). Anyway he has been sharing the recipes on the family blog and my sister has been making them. Very impressive apparently. I remember my grandma made it when I was a child, I don’t remember what it was like though
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, fried tomatoes, so do I, the only bit I throw away is the stalk, but then that's how I eat apples. When I was a lad I always begged my mates stumps off them, they threw them away but I loved them. I read somewhere that the almond taste of the pips is a very good protection against cancer. (That obviously is debatable!)
Jab went smoothly yesterday and no reaction as yet but I' ll have an easy day. Just an hour in the shed...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Beautiful day yesterday. I did a fair bit of heavy gardening, cutting back plants and digging over soil. I filled the brown bin before it was emptied and its half full again. I am three quarters of the way round exposing the soil and cutting the plants back ready for our annual delivery of manure. The man who brings it, spreads it all as well so I like to have the garden prepared. It wasn’t all gardening there was a lot if sitting too, taking in the day. We didn’t walk to the doctors for our flu jab but went in the car as I decided it was too much extra exercise before my yoga. As it happens I struggled with yoga as my injected arm is rather sore and I couldn't lift it easily. It hasn’t happened before. It hurt when she did it which was also unusual .

Today is dance exercise ( little arm raining there) and lunch out, no other plans at the moment. I am not sure of the weather forecast. No assessments to be done, I finished my course yesterday just now waiting for the final results back. I think it may have got me back into writing my book. I have lacked any incentive for it since March.

Have a good day everyone
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

My upper arm ached for about 3 days, with a red flare about 4 inches across, after the flu jab. I felt quite ok though.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry to hear you have a sore arm Sue. Give it time to heal! I've had no problems although he did get a bit worried as I bled more then he expected. He asked me if I was on any blood thinning medication. I said no and that it was obvious he was an incompetent bugger! It was all joshing and I told him it would clot quickly which it did. He couldn't believe it at first when I told him that in the old days syringes and needles were used over and over again. He has only ever seen disposable ones.
I'm having a rest after 2 hours in the shed. I shall listen to Matt Hancock's latest defence and then go for a walk and post Shed Matters later.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I've been fortunate with flu jabs, usually OK with blood donations too. Only had a 'leak' once with a donation, the cup of tea I had afterwards must have been heavy :biggrin2:

Today I will be mainly painting the gates after replacing a few bits of timber.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Couldn’t tell you if it was an Intra Muscular jab or Sub Cutaneous, as I turned away. It was the Chemist himself that did the jab and I had no complaints at all until about a hour afterwards. It hurt if I turned over on that arm when asleep in bed, and I think once my husband touched my arm and I complained it hurt, as did donning clothes and sleeves rubbing as I got undressed. As I said, I felt quite ok within myself....the red flare around the injection site was hot to touch.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 18 Sep 2020, 07:10 He couldn't believe it at first when I told him that in the old days syringes and needles were used over and over again. He has only ever seen disposable ones.
They were a lot bigger as well, from my memory as a kid and all the jabs we got at school, the syringes were glass and reused but the needle was changed between jabs. Our flu jabs tomorrow at the surgery. I generally do OK and I know my right arm flows better than my left at blood donors. Only had one incident there and it was when I made my first ever donation. The flow stopped and the nurse jiggled it about to get it going, stopped again so she got the blue nurse to have a look. She stopped the donation as the venipuncture needle had been set through the back of the vein. I was bleeding out into my arm. I had the bruise from hell, nearly to the wrist and into my upper arm, took a while for that to go down. I have had injections into my hands, arms, legs and directly into my stomach when I was on the steroids in hospital all without incident and the ones directly into the stomach were the easiest. I let the student nurses practice on me with those.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Two hours in the shed and here's where we are, the 7BA studs fitting nicely and a bit of finish on the strap. Bit of a triumph for someone who can't see straight. Very pleased and relieved, a bit more fitting and then the serious matter of boring it to size. That's going to be a bit dodgy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Insulin injections under the tummy skin when in hospital after my disc herniated as Blood Sugar escalated. Never felt them, never had a bruise....
( mind you, the injections didn’t do an ounce of good, but nurses reassured me they didn’t work due to my body’s reaction to extreme pain...they knew what was happening...and it comforted me)
( blood sugar readings have been normal ever since! But they still won’t say I am NOT Diabetic!)
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I have never had this problem before and Bobs arm is ok . Movement is ok today and the swelling has gone down. There is no bruising but its a little sensitive to touch . It ‘ll be fine tomorrow. . Its intra muscular, and I think she just caught the angle wrong, perhaps I twisted at the wrong moment. Anyway all ok. More or less now.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"Anyway all ok."
Good Sue, glad to hear it. No problems at all with mine which is par for the course.
More work on the eccentric strap this morning. Amazing how one little item can absorb so much time and effort. I suppose that's what fascinates about shed work!
Otherwise normal exercise and avoiding the lurgi.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Bought fabric to make 2 pairs of shorts. Summer is coming!
I have two patterns to choose from ( one I have used before). I might omit pockets. I might extend the leg length...decisions decisions.
Fabric has been washed and is still out on the line...once it is ironed, I think decisions will be easy.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Washing, ironing and eating out filled yesterday plus a long sit in tge conservatory planning the next gardening move, which will be cut back the small rockery , finish the big one and tidy up last years bulb pots ready for more bulb planting next month. My other side birder is still in flower, I actually have two more big orange poppies in flower. Whilst sitting I had a look at some more courses on the online college and have signed up for another, having finished the genealogy course. It was supposed to be £100 plus but they offered it to me at £29, same as tge genealogy. This time I will br challenged as I have little previous knowledge, just a big interest. It should keep my interest going with the long winter months ahead.

Today is Bacup market, gardening and a bit of packing for our three days in Northumberland. I am really looking forward to visiting my favourite place in the UK. We are staying in Bamburgh in the hotel we stayed in as part of our honeymoon

I see you wash your fabric, Maz. So do I . Lots don’t. I once took ages over making a really nice ladies shirt. When I washed it first time it, shrank and no longer fitted in the arms and across the bust. I was gutted. I have washed fabric ever since . It also gives a feel for the real fabric rather when it has all its fabric dressing on it. Some can go quite floppy and may not suit the pattern it was going to be made up in .

Have a good day everyone

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”