WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by PanBiker »

chinatyke wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 15:04 I go away for 2 days and come back to chaos! I thought you'd banned me and locked me out!
You were one of the first back on the site when it went back live China. I was watching the DNS servers pick up on the change of IP address for the site. Amazing how fast it propagated around the globe.

DNS Checker
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Being able to communicate with my friends as I enjoy my daily caffeine fix and a smoke. Thinking of Wendy on top of Bleara Side in the rain getting her morning OG fix and then going out to look after Dennis and Sparky. The fact that a bit of pressure perhaps worked, Wendy and I think that the bulldog bitch in Gisburn may have been released from prison in the garage. None of these things earth-shattering but so important.The thought that OG is perhaps more important than we realise for our mental well-being. I don't know about you lot but I love being able to release the pressure of the daily angst about the news into the ether!
Once again, the universe is perhaps unfolding as it should.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I was distracted whilst One Guy was missing and started up a Black Lane Ends Community Facebook group, prompted by a missing Parcelforce delivery, but also because we are a widespread community and I like to connect with people. Yesterday morning a woman asked to join the group then posted that she had spent the first 14 years of her life here at Lower Burnt Hill. She was one of 5 Butterfield children, here between 1947 and 1963 so I'm sure you would have come across them whilst doing your grocery rounds Stanley.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I most certainly did Wendy. A nice family living on the bread line and I liked them. It was their experience that first prompted me to refer to 'poverty farming' in my writing. Give the lady my love and let her know I am still alive and remember her. They always struck me as a family that was full of love.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I will do. I have heard from other people that the house was a gathering place for teenagers. Judith says that people came on Saturday nights, Mrs Newbould from Copy House played the piano and her mother baked meat and potato pie. :smile:
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Wendyf wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 07:54 I will do. I have heard from other people that the house was a gathering place for teenagers. Judith says that people came on Saturday nights, Mrs Newbould from Copy House played the piano and her mother baked meat and potato pie. :smile:
What a lovely way to find the living history of your house.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Gloria wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 08:06
Wendyf wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 07:54 I will do. I have heard from other people that the house was a gathering place for teenagers. Judith says that people came on Saturday nights, Mrs Newbould from Copy House played the piano and her mother baked meat and potato pie. :smile:
What a lovely way to find the living history of your house.
It is lovely Gloria, and one of the benefits of Facebook. I also learned that the fields below and above our farm, which were bought by the neighbours in the 60's, are now known as 'Up Butts' and ' Down Butts" not because of any connection with archery and ploughing but because they were bought from the Butterfields. :smile:
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Love it 👏
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Is it only Mrs Tiz and me who don't have a donate button just below the search box on the OGFB banner? I've been discussing it with Ian and we haven't solved it so far. I've cleared the cache and restarted the PC but still no button! :scratchhead:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

See the site outage thread Peter.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 09:32 See the site outage thread Peter.
As Ian says, in the outage thread, it looks like a 'view' issue. The full width banner should look like this
Donate.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Nice one Kev, anything above 110% zoom in Firefox and you start to loose the right hand side. Pretty certain that is Peters problem.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

One of the advantages of having a wide screen is that I don't use the full page width. That might be why it isn't any problem.
The header bar says my zoom is 133%?

Being an old fart I have forgotten how to do a screenshot. Here's my version!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Keyboard PRT SC (print screen) top row towards the right. Copies the current screen to the clipboard.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I use the Snipping Tool in Windows 10 which gives much more control. The screenshot I did for this thread was on my phone, a simultaneous press of the volume down and power switches.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

I wondered what that button did! There are several more that I've never used, I must be more adventurous! I'm going to try a few now!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'll try to remember!
Having to postpone a long anticipated visit from my nephew that was to happen on Saturday. Not happy about it but it's a treat in store and it's always nice to have something to look forward to!
How well the site is working, very impressive.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley, I thought you'd have installed the Gnome Screenshot app, it's dead easy and allows you a choice of options. Click on the Ubuntu Software icon to open the software store, click the spyglass icon top right to get the Search box, type in GNOME Screenshot. This will bring up a list of relevant apps. Select the GNOME Screenshot and you'll get the install page for the application. Click Install and it should put a camera icon in your applications menu down the LH side of your screen. Here's what it looks like...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Tiz. I've done that and will look at it later....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I use `Select area to grab' most of the time.

This is great news. I hate how the county lines drugs pushers have been using youngsters throughout the country...
`County lines raids: 1,000 arrests and £1.2m drugs seized' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It is good news Peter but is it only the tip of the iceberg? Loved the fact that Covid restrictions have made things more difficult for the dealers.

Susan sent me a picture of a black stallion while she was at my son in law's brother's carriage driving establishment in Essex. It's the Lloyd's Bank horse, it lives there. I asked her how come it had a foal in the last adverts and she said that was shot in Spain with a different horse and got a lot of criticism for that reason. I saw the latest advert this week, the one with the Flying Scotsman. Susan told me that she was told about this advert then, back to the proper horse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 26 Sep 2020, 03:46 ..my son in law's brother's carriage driving establishment in Essex..
I guess he'll know about the Fenix Carriage & Driving Centre at Clayhidon, Devon. We went on a 3-hour guided tour of the establishment a couple of years ago. You'd love it - the workmanship of the restorers has to be seen to be believed and it's a marvellous place.
Fenix carriages
I've just done an OG search and found my report on the visit here: LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wilf will certainly be aware. He's a top flight competitor in the international events. (He's a good welder as well!) (LINK)
Every time I go into the fridge to get some milk I note the dirt in the shelf that is carried in there by the bottoms of the 4ltr plastic milk bottles and think, "That needs cleaning" and then ignore it. This morning I did the same thing but took the shelf out and gave it a thorough clean, looks like new now. Question is, why do these things take so long to register and get action? Am I just a mucky pup?
Resolution amicably of a family problem that has needed careful handing and a lot of deep thought. Lovely result and a happy start to the day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It's sad to hear that tortoises might suffer due to covid restrictions but I was surprised and pleased to learn that there are special sanctuaries to help them over-winter. I'd never heard of them before. As a kid I loved tortoises and still enjoy seeing them - they're wonderful creatures! I'll never forget as a child on holiday in Devon being at Paignton Zoo first thing on a hot sunny morning when they opened the tortoise shed. Giant ones, big ones, small ones, tiny ones - all came running out together - a stampede of tortoises! When they're hot they're fast!

`Covid travel restrictions 'may put tortoises in danger' LINK
Bodger

Post by Bodger »

Nowt to do do with tortoises, i received my DNA results, i am 47.1 % Scandinavian,45.2 % English, & 7.7% Greek & South Italian, and i always thought i was Yorkshire born & bred ?. This is out of nearly 8,000 "matches" my nearest connection is 1st cousin twice removed, 2nd cousin twice removed , now i trying to think what i do with all my new relatives, any suggestions ?

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”