MEDICAL MATTERS

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Wendyf »

If I've been a bit quiet recently it's because Col has been diagnosed with oesophageal cancer. It's a grade 3 tumour which can be treated with chemo and a major operation but as yet we don't know the odds of recovery and survival. The last couple of weeks have been full of various tests and as far as we know he is scheduled to start 8 weeks of chemo next week, followed by the operation and then a further 8 weeks of chemo. Communication with Airedale has been poor so far with every conversation over the phone and appointment letters arriving in the post too late to attend. A vital blood test to check for a certain enzyme has gone missing between Airedale and London. 🙂
We are off on a scary roller coaster ride into the unknown... wish us luck!
(I have kept my fellow site moderators informed of progress)
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Sorry to hear that news, Wendy and Col. Good luck and fingers crossed for the best outcome.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Sorry to hear that Wendy and Col.
Keep us informed if and when you can.
Hoping for the best outcome.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Wendy, you and Colin are experiencing the NHS admin problems that are caused by the virus and which is why the rest of us should be locking down. I hope the communications get sorted quickly for you both.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Thinking of you both . Best wishes. Tripps
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Thank you all for your good wishes.
It's been a tough couple of days with lots of things going wrong. There was a suspicion from a ct scan that there could be a prostate problem and Col saw a urologist a couple of weeks ago who wasn't too concerned but ordered an MRI scan just to be certain. An appointment was made then cancelled because of emergencies but he got a call on Monday to see if he could attend at 6.30am this morning which he did. Now, since the bladder cancer nearly 6 years ago peeing hasn't been easy especially in stressful situations and early in the morning....his bladder was full and he failed to empty it completely on demand. The scan went ahead anyway but he hadn't been home an hour when the call came for him to go back, they would use a catheter to get another scan etc etc. Poor Col was distraught, knowing that just the thought of a catheter gives him an infection which would jeopardise his chemo starting but off he went to Airedale again. Luckily, once he explained his history and that he was hoping to start treatment the urology department understood and allowed him home. Phew.
Tomorrow he has to be at St Luke's in Bradford by 8.45am for a heart & lung stress test to see if he is fit enough for the operation, Friday he is back in Airedale to sign consent forms for the chemo then hopefully a weekend to relax!!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

A stressful time Wendy, stay strong and think positive.

It may seem difficult but find something to laugh at.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Big Kev wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 17:13 A stressful time Wendy, stay strong and think positive.

I always do Kev, being a glass half full sort of person!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 17:49
Big Kev wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 17:13 A stressful time Wendy, stay strong and think positive.

I always do Kev, being a glass half full sort of person!
Excellent :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Col's glass is generally half empty but he's understandably down to the dregs right now.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Wow...just caught up with all that...and I am sorry to hear of your troubles Wendy and Col.
I’m not sure I could find a single thing to laugh at. I tend to get a bit wobbly and frayed at the edges whenever my husband gets test results because he is not good at relating news from his doctor.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Give Col my best Wendy. The most frightening thing for me if I were in his position is the fact that once you are in the system you become a pawn. All I can do is cross my fingers and pray for a good outcome.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tough times ahead for both of you but I'm reminded of one of our very close extended family friends who went through the same process. He lived for another 27 years. Since then medical knowledge and treatments have move on a pace with better outcomes all round.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Thanks Plaques, it's good to hear of a positive outcome! I'll pass on everyone's good wishes.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The morning went well! No problems driving through Bradford or parking at St Luke's and Col passed his fitness tests with flying colours. He is fit enough for anything they want to do with him. The anaesthetist told him that it will be a 6 hour operation and he might be kept under anaesthetic for a further 24 hours afterwards.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That is what you might call a serious operation! I can only marvel and wish Col all the luck in the world.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Woke up this morning thinking about Col......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

He seems to be coming to terms with things a bit better now Stanley, he has a very helpful nutritionist on his case and despite the seeming chaos of the last couple of weeks everything is hopefully coming together ready for his treatment to start next week.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

It will be a long haul...for both of you. Enjoy the weekend and do not fret if you have the extra half a glass above recommended. :biggrin2:
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It will Maz and I won't! :laugh5:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Good.
Sometimes you just need to snuggle up and enjoy the good times, before the s#@t hits the fan!
Turn the lights off and dance by the light of the fire...
(We have done that a few times!)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Wendyf wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 13:59 The anaesthetist told him that it will be a 6 hour operation and he might be kept under anaesthetic for a further 24 hours afterwards.
Modern anaesthetics are a lot better than they used to be. I got a six and a half hour sleep with my surgeon and then had another four or five for good measure in recovery. One of the lads in the HDU who had his operation the same day as me slept for 10 days straight after his procedure. I went back down the ward to see him when I heard he had woken up. He said he was hungry when he woke up. :smile:

Waiting for everything to kick off is the worst. Scary as it is I reckon Col will be relieved once the treatment starts. You can have goals then. He is starting from a good place as he is a fit bloke which will hold him in good stead. Best of luck to you both, you must look after yourself as well Wendy. :smile:
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

He's all signed up and ready to go. He gets a line fitted into his arm on Monday and treatment starts on Tuesday. Fingers crossed that the weather is kind on the days he has to travel into Airedale, it was a bit stressful with the road conditions up here earlier there, were abandoned cars all over the place!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Late call from Airedale to say that the missing blood test has been found and that Col has plenty of the enzyme necessary for one of the chemo drugs to be safe. ☺
We are very grateful to Ian and Barlick & Earby Bosom Friends for their help and support, Ian came up immediately with both general and specific information on Colin's cancer. He was put in touch with a chap who had the same treatment 2 years ago and is still going. His operation was done robotically, I wonder if Col's will be the same, the 6 hour time suggests a keyhole op.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It's all sounding positive Wendy. Keep everyone updated, sharing is good :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”