Oh dear!

Sue
VIP Member

Oh dear!

Post by Sue »

I am afraid the new site is taking me some time to get used to. I am afraid I don't find it as user friendly as it was. I am still trying to find my old avatar as well as making myself familiar with the new page format. In the words of one of a teacher' Sue needs to concentrate harder!'

I have yet to tackle pictures.

I know our old postings are still available to read but are they still searchable through the net. Will all our genealogy work still be picked up by other researchers?
If you keep searching you will find it
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Oh dear!

Post by Doc »

Hi Sue

Sorry to hear your running round in circles within the site, It's only a week old and we are all getting used to thing, me included. We had to launch the new site prematurely because of the old server crash.

You can set your avatar in your User Control Panel and select Display Gallery, All the old avatars from the old site are in there, it's a big file and takes a few seconds to load, but it will be in there somewhere.

There is a good topic in the introductions practise posting section describing the various image posting techniques. CLICK HERE TO VIEW

Because we are only a week old the search engines haven't had time to re-index the entire new site, but they are on here right now doing their thing. Anyone brought to the site by a search engine pointing to an old document will receive a notice if the document isn't found. This is a temporary situation until the new site is fully indexed.

The more you use the site, the sooner you'll get accustomed to it.

Any problems just ask a question in the relevant forum.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Chief Stoker - Royal Navy (Retired)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sue, courage mon brave! The more you use it the easier it is. The nice thing is that once you have cracked it you'll appreciate how big an improvement it is. Everyone has there preferred method of navigating. I have found that if you go to the 'Regular Members' section on the Board Index page and scroll down a bit there is a list of active topics that is very similar to the old site. Not all the new posts are on there so I go back to the board index after I have worked through that one. I'm sure I am still missing something but it will all become clearer given time. I have a problem this morning which is nothing to do with the site, Firefox put out a big update for my OS and my navigation bar has gone AWOL! No doubt it will reappear shortly!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Thanks both. I think just haven't had the time to devote to it. I had visitors over the weekend9 Julia , Ed and the grandchildren) then of course with Dad being so ill.

I'll keep trying
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

You'll be right Sue.
Just ignore the 10,000 annoying job advertisements on the active topics. Sheesh! Way too distracting...
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Sorry to hear your dad is ill Sue - keep your chin up.
Say only a little but say it well.
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

In a year's time we'll all know how the site runs. I still find it a bit difficult, but Stanleys right in what he says. Even Doc still has problems, so there you are - and he's the editor ! :grin:
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Keep with it Sue, I found it difficult at first but it is getting clearer.
When I log on the home page comes up with a box on the right showing my avatar and user menu, under the avatar is
View unanswered posts
» View new posts
» View active topics
» View your posts

I click onto active topics and away I go--- :grin:
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Sue, the new site threw me completely when I first started on it. I'd been distracted by some personal issues and when I finally got a chance to use the site the other folk were already well advanced and enjoying themselves. It all seemed so foreign at first. It's taking me a while but now I'm beginning to find it much more powerful than the old site. Keep on learning, it's worth it!

When I worked in a lab we had a lady called Connie who did the washing up and she and I had many `philosophical' conversations at coffee time, she was a great source of down-to-earth thoughts. Whenever the bosses changed anything she would say "I know it's got to change but it's not the same is it?" and I always repeat this now when I get put out by something changing.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tiz, very true and like all of you I am having to work at the new format but look at it this way, it's not a bad thing occasionally to be forced out of your comfort zone and have to do a bit of re-adjusting and learning. Probably a good defence against Altzheimer's!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

( here I go a second time with this post. annoyingly, site logs me out mid post, and I am getting pretty sick of it)

What I was going to say ( and maybe WILL get to this time!) is that I am not afraid of change, Stanley. But I ( for one) DO miss the feel of the old site...the friendliness, the intimacy, the local feeling.
I know it is early days, but (sadly) I do feel this site has lost something.
( please throw those stones very gently guys)
We seem to be part of a huge, hungry, global machine now. Not the same cosy pit we came to love.
Will we all be here in 12 months time? Gosh. Couldn't say. ( but I will dearly miss anyone who falls by the wayside)

Ok...am ready for the onslaught..
But does anyone else feel the same?
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

I think the new format threw us all. I am not a technical person and in many ways I'm a Luddite in hating change but I think Doc has got it absolutely spot on with the new site. Posting pictures and clips/hyper links is quite straightforward and the general posting options with previews and a spell check that works is brilliant. I'm still adjusting but I wouldn't now want to go back to the old site.
WELL DONE DOC
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Maybe I should just quietly break the seal on those little blue pills with the white stripe then.
( chill pills?)

Oooooooooo...instant result!
Now what was I moaning about?......
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

marilyn wrote:Here I go a second time with this post. annoyingly, site logs me out mid post, and I am getting pretty sick of it)

Ok...am ready for the onslaught..
No onslaught Maz, you can stop it logging you out by ticking the box at login that say, log me in automatically or words to that effect. The auto logout is an optional security option. :thumbsup5:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

(well this is my second time to post this one as well! )

It logs me out as I type. I find that if I log in at the top it logs me out as I type, but if I log in at the bottom of the board page, I tend to get kept.
Grrrrrrr....
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This site is more likely to attract new members because it will look more familiar to them whereas the old site was idiosyncratic and likely to frighten them away. Perhaps you're an idiosyncrophile Maz! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

marilyn wrote:(well this is my second time to post this one as well! )

It logs me out as I type. I find that if I log in at the top it logs me out as I type, but if I log in at the bottom of the board page, I tend to get kept.
Grrrrrrr....
Not experienced that Maz, it keeps me in either way. Please keep us posted on this in case it's an issue that needs attention. What do you reckon to the new editor Doc has just installed then?
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The new editor looks a bit busy but works well. I think it will be more4 acceptable because it is so similar to most word processors.
Maz, so sorry to hear you are having problems with the log on. What are you working with? Is this an i-Pad issue or similar? If you can give us more info Doc can have a look at it. One thing ius certain, we have to get you sorted out! Far too valuable a member.
Tiz, a good point about attracting new members. What seemed to us to be perfectly logical on the old site was not so for people used toi the new generation of platorms. As to whether the site will still be here in a year, of course it will and if Doc changed the platform we'd all be screaming at him!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

See how I go Stanley. I shall give it a bit more time.
The login at the bottom of the board page seems to work for me ( yes...iPad)
Haven't spent a lot of time on the computer ( someone...won't mention WHO...tends to hog the Internet on his days off), but I can't recall having the problem on there. Possibly it is an IPad issue...
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Maz

I'm not sure on how iPads work, but if the system keeps logging you out then it sounds like it is a cookie issue (not the edible kind). Make sure that your iPad accepts cookies from this site and also it may be a good idea to clear your iPad of cookies.

When you log onto OGFB make sure your check/tick the box under the loggon where it says "Remember Me".

Hopefully that should sort your problem out.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Chief Stoker - Royal Navy (Retired)
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I like the new HOME page Doc. I feel more at home with it. Thanks
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sue, nice to get positive feedback. Doc's still working on the format and it could be a while before we get to the finished product. There are issues too technical for idiots like me to understand and all I can say is thank God we have Doc and Pluggy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I think Doc is doing a wonderful job, I certainly wouldn't like to take on something this big. Thanks Doc
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

So I have donated, why am I still getting advertisements and where is the donors part of the site.Why is my name not coloured
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Sue, it might take a day or two for your donation to go through the system. When I gave my donation it took 24 hours or more - Paypal and credit card and all that stuff has to go throw the bank etc. Don't worry.

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”