SPRING 2012

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: SPRING 2012

Post by Stanley »

The snow didn't stick but it was wintry while it lasted. Cold and damp this morning with broken cloud and light wind from the west. Glass has dodged round a bit and is now on 29.6" Nearly out of January and I've seen worse! We need some crisp dry weather so Jules can enjoy her days off.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

A slight covering of snow here.
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Snowing very heavily in the designer village. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Comrade, just goes to show how localised snow showers can be, never saw anything here. It's clear and cold this morning and the glass has risen to 30.3" Looks as though we could have a clear cold day and a harder frost tonight. Could it be a 'Brewing Day' with snow tomorrow?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Later, after walking round Valley Gardens. White grass frost, ground has a bit of a crunch so a harder frost than I thought. Pavements treacherous in places and while I think the Council has gritted, it's very hard to tell and one wonders whether they have got the delivery rate down to microscopic levels and the aim is to be able to say that they have gritted rather than have an ice-free road.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear frosty morning again. Glass rising still at 30.4". I hope the pavements are bit less treacherous this morning. Saw one old bloke take a bad fall but I spoke to him and he seemed OK. Bad shock though and I always remember two mates of mine at Holme on Spalding Moor dairy who died of cancer and both attributed it to a fall. Worth taking care!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry and cold yesterday but overcast all day. Glass back slightly at 30.2". Light snow possible but it seems to be further south. We are in the gap between a high pressure system to the East and low pressure to the West, the LP system seems to be carrying quite a bit of snow so we are having a lucky spell. Shipping forecast this morning suggests settled weather for next day or two. We are having a very kind passage through winter at the moment and I for one am very grateful.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Just got back from 3 weeks in Malta - finally got on site (I don't like it!!) Saw from Malta it was down. Glass steady on 30 here and bright and sunny after keen frost.
Say only a little but say it well.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I'm sure you will learn to love it Moh, you will be suffering withdrawal symptoms at the moment no doubt, both from the weather and the old site, welcome back. Hope you had a good holiday.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Moh, lovely to see you back! Ian is right, you'll soon get into the swing and start to appreciate the smooth way the platform runs. Doc is still working on it tweaking and chasing bugs. We are lucky to have him.
Frosty and overcast was the order of the day yesterday and today looks the same. At 5am there was very fine snow drifting in the air, not enough to settle but you could see it in the halo of light from the outside lamp. Glass is steady at 30.2" and we seem to be still in the no man's land between the HP in the East and the LP in the west. Look on the bright side, we have had an easy January and we shall be in February tomorrow. Here's hoping the moderate weather continues! Just think what it was like last year.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

hi Moh - good to know you are still keeping your eye on us. Weather same as you report Comrade. 0C and a very fine film of moisture on the car - but no frost which I found a bit weird. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Quite bright here, but very cold. This morning we had a dusting of fine snow but it did not last. The weather in Malta was not as good as I expected, the temps. were only in the top 50s, and there was a cold wind most days.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Same here Moh, light dusting early morning, enough to whiten unsalted paths but soon vanished. Colder this morning and dry. Glass risen to 30.5" and forecasters report a settled spell of cold weather for the week. Sounds about right to me. Wind is in the East and very lazy. New stove comes into its own, snug as a bug in a rug!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Very bright and sunny, lovely with the sun coming through the lounge window, but very cold out. I don't like the sound of the cold air coming from Eastern Europe at the weekend.
Twinkletoes

Post by Twinkletoes »

Brrrrrrrr its a cold one!
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

There will be a battle at the weekend between milder air coming into the west and the colder European air mass out east, not sure which will win, but we could get some snow in the time between. Weather forcasters not sure just yet what will happen, but they seem pretty excited about it all. 50/50 either way perhaps - which could be a snowy problem for us lot near the Pennines ! :confused:
SueR

Post by SueR »

Hi Stanley

Long time no contact! I hope you are doing good. I wanted to browse the correspondence we had with Barrowford John about Roughlee Mill some years ago and discovered this new site. I must have aged more than I thought - I can't work out how to access the forums or the old archives, which I would like to search. Would you help out this old biddy?!

Cheers
:grin:
Sue
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

SueR wrote:Hi Stanley

Long time no contact! I hope you are doing good. I wanted to browse the correspondence we had with Barrowford John about Roughlee Mill some years ago and discovered this new site. I must have aged more than I thought - I can't work out how to access the forums or the old archives, which I would like to search. Would you help out this old biddy?!

Cheers
:grin:
Sue
Sue, the old site is accessible from the Board Index but the Turbo Search is not working. Doc, the site administrator is looking for a way round this problem at the moment. You can try manually searching the old forums but you may not be able to dig too deep. If you know exactly which topic it was and where to find it, it might be a little bit easier. Stanley will probably be along in the morning and may be able to help you further as he may know exactly where to look.
Ian
SueR

Post by SueR »

Thanks, Ian. How do I access the old forums to do a manual search?

Sue
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Click on the Board Index and you will see a link on this page for "Archived OGFB Website". clicking this will open the old site in a new tab. Most of the menu's work so you can go to Forums and browse through them. Helps if you know where to look as there are a lot of topics. The indexing on the site is a bit rocky at the moment so if you dig too deep it may not work. The search facility on the Homepage has been disabled at the moment because of this. Doc is hoping to make it more stable in the future with a proper search facility for the old posts and threads. I hope this helps.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Perfect day here. Blue skies, sunshine, 28 degrees.
We didn't expect these extra couple of days respite from the intense heat, which should have returned by the weekend. At least I got to trim a few straggling plants in the garden and Mr. Feb has run about with the lawnmower.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sue, nice to hear from you again (Mind you, as you know, I get my Sues mixed up!) Ian is quite right, at the moment it's a manual search but Doc is looking for a way to get a specific Google search on the archive. Meanwhile, the search bots are busy and in time will re-index all the old material on the archive and make it much more accessible.
Cold raw day yesterday, much of it overcast early on and a biting East wind. Glass is steady on 30.5", very cold and an easterly breeze. The Crombie is earning its corn again!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just back in the warm after our walk round Barlick. It's bitterly cold and a good job we only have a light breeze. Broken cloud and seagulls about in the Village Green, not a good sign. If my bones are right there's some snow on the way.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

I hope your bones are wrong Stanley - bright and sunny at the moment but bitterly cold - wrap up warm.
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Some snow on Saturday evening, after that it could go either way, rain/sleet or some further snow on hills for Sunday. The cold weather conditions over in Europe "could" win the battle.

Return to “Seasons”