Matthias Dixon

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Matthias Dixon

Post by Stanley »

Cloggy, most reliable way and best for the site is to size them at 1000 pixels longest axis and upload them to the site via the gallery. Once they are in the gallery left click for the full size and right click on that image "copy image location". You then go to the topic reply box and click on the symbol for insert an image in the box (It's a tiny picture right of centre in the row) this chucks up a dialogue box, paste the image location into the box and click insert image. You won't see the pic in the reply box, only the URL. When you post the reply the pic will appear by magic. Sounds complicated but when you have done it it is dead easy and fast. By the way, you can go from composing a reply into gallery and do this without losing what you have already done. To get back to the submission box simply right click on the 'go back' arrow at the left of the menu and it will drop a history list, choose the last 'post a reply' to go back to your submission box.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
cloghopper
Regular User

Post by cloghopper »

:cool4: Thanks Stanley, sounds easy peasy. Now stand back and watch me b***s it up!
cheers,
cloggy
cloghopper
Regular User

Post by cloghopper »

:smile: Hello Stever,
Thanks to Stanley's help I have posted some pictures in the gallery that may be of interest to you. In the 'people' gallery there is a picture from 1910 with Mathias Dixon included in the group. In the 'buildings' gallery, the cottage where the Dixon family lived at Kidstones - top of Bishopdale. Sorry for the poor quality, but the best I have available. Here is some information I have about about the Dixon line:
Mary Thwaite, daughter of Richard Thwaite and Elizabeth Heseltine, was born in 1838 in Kettlewell, Wharfedale, Yorkshire. She married Mathias Dixon on 17th. October 1861. The address was Riddings Farm, West Burton. She died in 1893.
Mathias Dixon, son of Edmund Dixon (1810) and Frances Metcalfe (1808) was born in 1834 in Bishopdale, Yorks. He was baptised on 19th October 1834. He died in 1889. He was buried on 26 November 1889.
Residence 1890.
Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades for Aysgarth in Bulmers Directory of 1890
Farmers
Dixon Mathias, Kidstones.
Vol 9d. pge 995

Mathias Dixon and Mary Thwaite had the following children
Frances Dixon born 1863 in Starbottom, Yorks.
Edmund Dixon born in 1866 in Starbottom, Yorks
Rose Mary Dixon, born 1869 in Bishopdale, Yorks.
John Dixon, born in 1874 in Bishopdale, Yorks.
Mathias Dixon, born 1879 in Bishopdale, Yorks.

Hope this info is useful.
best rgds,
cloggy
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Now push the boat out and include them in the posts. More people will see them that way.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stever

Post by Stever »

:grin:

Evening all,
I had a really bad start to my day today, but as we get towards the end of the day it has redeemed itself and turned out to be a real goodun after all.

This is mainly due to Cloghopper and Stanley.

If I were in a position to hand out gold medals, Cloggy, you would get 3.

One for putting me in touch with your cousin Billy, he sends his regards by the way, I will send you his postal address privately. He has some recollections and possibly some paperwork, but we have to do it the old way, by post, so it may take some time.

Another for finding the photo we have all been looking for, the face of Matthias Dixon!
(with a bonus of his sister and her family, brilliant)

Our jigsaw puzzle now has a picture and isn't quite the "box of bits" it once was.

The third for succeeding at Posting the photos on this site, the reproduction is really good.

As for you Stanley, your instructions to me in the past and these recent ones to Cloggy are easy to follow so deserve a gold for their clarity, were you a teacher in a previous life? love your photo by the way!

We do have a great deal of info from various cencus's (censii?) and will spend some time cross referencing the dates listed by Cloggy, against all those named

Once complete I will try to make a "tree" that will show the relative branches and post it on site,
(may need a bit more help there Stanley, is there a particular "best" way - use excel, pdfs...?)

That way we can all see how the people and places link.

Who knows we may find some more relatives!

Regards

Stever
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That was nice Stever. Thanks. My mate Martha tells me I am a teacher but I think I just like telling stories...... Born before the advent of TV!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

cloghopper
Regular User

Post by cloghopper »

Stanley wrote:Now push the boat out and include them in the posts. More people will see them that way.
:grin: Push the boat out he says. Every time I push a boat out it either capsizes, swamps, or both. Not for nothing did Capt. Schettino take boating lessons from me when 'e were a lad. Don't blame me if the site goes down.
This is grandfather Frances Spence Dinsdale and grandmother Rosemary Dixon with some of their children at Home Farm Cracoe, August 1910.
My father is the babe in arms. Mathias Dixon is the chap in the trilby. The lady on the far right in white is Ottwell Lodge's sister. The story of the Lodge family is in the old site.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There you are! Now then, post away!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stever

Post by Stever »

Happy Sunday,

Well, it has been apart from the persistant rain.

I spent some of the day printing A4 copies of the pictures sent by Cloghopper, they have come out really
well.

These will now get passed on to the man in the trilby, "Matthias's", grandaughters and on to Billy, Cloghoppers cousin.

As we only know the names of a few of them. it will be interesting to see if Billy, recognises anyone.

We have been past the house at Kidstones, with out knowing if that was the right place or not, but we do know that Matthias's children went to the little school house at Buckden from stories passed down through the family.

We are hoping Billy can verify that Matthias stayed with his sister when they all moved to Tunstead Farm at Kelbrook, but that will take a little time.

Then we can complete the story and confirm it as "History".

Thanks very much, I will be back on line soon.

Regards

Stever :grin:
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Just by chance I have come across a page on Tunstead Farm in Doreen Crowther's "Pendle Deeds".
12th November 1918 Conveyance from Thomas Hayes of Worston, nr Clitheroe, Yeoman to Francis Spencer Dinsdale of Cracoe, nr Skipton, Farmer. Purchase for £2,525 of : ALL that farm called Tunstead with barns etc. and about 88a 2r 7p of land, formerly in occupation of Alexander Crabtree & now of Joseph Pickles.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

About £28 an acre. In the 1950s it had risen to about £50 an acre on the tops.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

cloghopper
Regular User

Post by cloghopper »

:laugh5: always knew grandad had a bob or two!
Thanks wendy, useful information that I didn't know.
cheers,
cloggy
Stever

Post by Stever »

hi out there, I just spent an hour typing a new posting, saved it while I went for a cuppa and now can't find it.

Any suggestions where it went?

Stever
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

! Message from: PanBiker
You should be able to find it if you go to your User Control Panel and on the Overview tab you should see another tab for Manage Drafts - your saved post should be in there
Ian
Stever

Post by Stever »

Hi there, I am experiencing problems with a pop up window that states the following:

"Google has disabled use of the maps api for this application.The key provided is not a valid api key or it is not authorised for the google maps JavaScript api v3 on this site.
If you are the owner of this application you can learn about obtains a valid key here:
Https://developers.google.com/maps/docu ... btaing_key"

This window is proving annoying and appears to prevent me navigating the site easily.

Is this something to do with your website or is me? Either way HELP!

Stever
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

It's not your end Stever it is the website which needs a new API key. Admins are looking at the problem but it is quite annoying at times. Once you have cancelled the error window you should be able to post in any of the threads. Its just a bit of a bind at the moment.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Doc knows about it but he's a bit thronged at the moment.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

cloghopper
Regular User

Post by cloghopper »

:smile: oh, good. This map thing has been bugging me too. There it is now, as I type this.
Thanks and cheers,
cloggy
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nobody has really addressed it but I suspect that if you donate and kill the adverts the incidence of the error message goes down. Some mornings I don't get it, other mornings just once, never more than that. It only costs £1...... Notable that the people who seem to be most affected are non-donors.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote:Nobody has really addressed it but I suspect that if you donate and kill the adverts the incidence of the error message goes down. Some mornings I don't get it, other mornings just once, never more than that. It only costs £1...... Notable that the people who seem to be most affected are non-donors.
Your suspicions are only partially correct Stanley. Donating may reduce the incidence of the error slightly but it certainly will not make it go away as already noted in the Google API thread.

Sorry for perpetuating this off topic.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian, I never said it did. However it doesn't annoy me as much as it seems to do to others.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

biffer93

Post by biffer93 »

Hi Stever :wink: , I may have the same relatives as you, re: Mathias Dixon from Bishopdale Yorkshire, we are coming up to Bedale thurs this week for a Dixon family reunion, and would love some info or photos to show mathias Dixons grandad children, If you don't mind hope to here from you soon T.
cloghopper
Regular User

Post by cloghopper »

:smile: Received a couple of emails via the site service from biffer93. I think they may have been meant for someone else. Anyway, just to show what a small world it is, a bit of news. My no. 2 son, born and bred in Italy, met quite by chance, during the course of his business, someone last week with exactly the same name as himself. Obviously curious, transpired that he was not a relative; but had extensive research documentation on the family surname of Dinsdale, which he has passed on to us. I think he may have also been in contact with my cousin Billy Dinsdale at Gargrave. From the research documentation, cousin Billy's father, my Uncle Mat, was baptised as Mathias Dixon Dinsdale. And this baptising of sons with the names Mathias Dixon as Christian names occcurs quite a few times throughout various branches of the family. The new research docs I now have do not include anyone born less than 100 years ago, to protect 'privacy and confidentiality'.
cheers,
cloggy
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

I keep getting it and I'm a donor!!
Say only a little but say it well.
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

I've had it twice trying to put this posting on. Must admit it's worse on Google Chrome than on Firefox but unfortunately we only have google chrome on the laptops and on the main computer we have Firefox. Eileen

Return to “Looking For Someone”