The Queen and Prince Philip

Gloria

The Queen and Prince Philip

Post by Gloria »

Is anyone else amazed that both The Queen and Prince Philip managed all yesterday afternoon on their feet, without having to sit down for 5mins. I think there must have been some sort of heating in the area where she stood behind the "red thrones", but only towards the end did she have her hand on something for a bit of support. Prince Philip at 90yrs stood upright all the time. I take my hat off to them.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: The Queen and Prince Philip

Post by PanBiker »

I noticed that as well Gloria, good going for their ages. I remember seeing a documentary a couple of years ago where they noted that The Queen had introduced a slight concession to her working life on her 80th birthday. She now goes into the office to sort the daily state business, correspondence and parliamentary commitments at 6.00am instead of 5.30am as had been the norm since 1952. She does a couple of hours of that every morning before breakfast and then on to the pre-organised duties of the day.
Ian
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Crikey. I wonder if she was up early this morning after all that yesterday.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I enjoyed the recent programme presented by Prince Charles about his mother, and learnt more about them as a family and about the world in general through their own amateur cine film footage. The film of the Royal Navy ships in line ahead taken from the Britannia in the early 1950s in the Mediterranean was wonderful and must be a great bit of archive footage in its own right. At least one of them was a cruiser and judging from the 3-gun turrets might even have been HMS Belfast - now that would be a lovely bit of irony, seeing the two old girls together again in yesterday's Pageant!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Prince Philip taken to hospital with a bladder infection, according to tv news reports. :surprised:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I was amazed how they both coped, but I am sure this took its toll on Prince Philip. All those hours standing, no toilet break and no fluid top up. It would n't do me any good and I am not 90. Get well soon
If you keep searching you will find it
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Beacon on top of Pendle Hill was lit at 10.15pm. I can see it from my house. :grin: :laugh5:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Fabulous, none round here for us to see
If you keep searching you will find it
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We have just come back from beacon spotting. Came across the torch procession coming down from Earby's beacon. From the top near Pinhaw we could see beacons on Pendle Hill, Longridge Fell, Settle High Side and Sharphaw. Returning down Mill Hill into Carleton we could see their village beacon just up Park Side. Carleton is done up like a picture with bunting across all the roads in the village and the Jubilee tree is decorated as well, as you would expect. I thought the TC might have organised one on Weets but obviously not.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm not a big fan of Philip but if he has acute cystitis he has my sympathy. Worst pain I ever had.... Thanks to the lady doctor in Bacup who identified the strain gave me the right anti-biotic and hit it on the head. Never had it since and don't want it!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

There were fireworks going off at the pub at Black Lane Ends, so I went outside to check that the ponies were OK. (They were fine, but the sheep & cattle were all alarmed by the bangs.) Wasn't it a beautiful evening? I stayed outside for a while watching distant fireworks, listening to the curlews and being amazed by the number of bats around the house. No beacons visible from here though.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

A local village has had a competition for the best Jubilee front door decoration and this must be one of the likely candidates for first prize...

Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Stanley, I had a bladder infection when I was a lad from sitting on a cold, wet cycle saddle and it was "painful". I had another do in more recent times and it was very unpleasant. Very painful. But it can be cured now, thank goodness. So we know how Prince Philip feels.
cloghopper
Regular User

Post by cloghopper »

:smile: Fortunately managed to see most of the Jubilee events via BBC World Service on Hotbird satellite. Did miss the concert though, because Donna C was unwell and needed nursing. I'm downloading 'highlights' as we speak from UKNova.com so hopefully should be on that.
It was all fantastic, and I too take my hat off both to Her Majesty and Prince Philip.
cheers,
cloggy

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”