UpFlatts

busybees

UpFlatts

Post by busybees »

Does anybody know where the Upflatts area of Barnoldswick was? I am doing some family history research and my family are listed as living there on the 1861 census.
Thank you
elise

Re: UpFlatts

Post by elise »

You will find it on the 1852 ordnance survey map on Brogden Lane between Aynhams and Lidget Flat. No longer there.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

This 1880 London Gazette entry refers also, see attachment:
London Gazette 12-11-1880.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

BB! Nice to see you took my advice. That's the one, Brogden. 1853 1st Ed OS shows 'Up Flat' 200 yards west of Aynhams on Brogden Lane. 1892 1st Ed of the 25" OS map shows Up Flat and Up Flat Well in the field behind, also a bench mark on the opposite side of the lane 493.6 ft above sea level. Greenwood's 1818 map shows the same building marked as 'Flat'. The 1956 6" OS shows the well as Up Flat Well but the building is not named.
1851 census reports Henry Clark, 32, stone mason's labourer. Sarah 29. John 6 and Mary 2 years. Same census reports John Dowding, 34, shoemaker (journey man). Wife Ellen 29, hand loom weaver cotton and son William, 4 years. Two cottages in same building?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
busybees

Post by busybees »

Thank you everyone for all the information, Henry Clark is my ancestor. My partner and I are Barlickers born and bred and neither of us had heard of Upflatts.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice to see your partner posting as well on cooking. You are a lucky bloke but I note that you share the cooking. I have no other reference to Henry but knowing the capacity of the site for dragging up snippets of information don't be surprised if our resident genealogy hounds come up with more. Interesting that he was in the building trade, it was a good time to be in that occupation in Barlick. The building boom was starting and didn't end till 1914.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Local History Topics”