Back Under Canvas

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Back Under Canvas

Post by Stanley »

What's the betting that the next time you go camping you'll be on sand Ian..... :biggrin2:
That was a good discount, they must be desperate.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

They always quote full retail price for all items so the HG pegs which are high tensile steel 9" nails with a plastic head were £26 full retail offered at £13.00. Groundsheet pegs were £5 on offer for £3, I got two packs of those, (one free) but each saved £2. So a total of £17 discount. Old trick but it looks good and you effectively pay a reasonable price. Camping kit is not particularly expensive in the vast scale of things compared to other leisure kit, (which they also sell). No different really to supermarket deals and BOGOF'S and other retail establishment purchases.

These should do a better job than the standard wire pegs.

You can also get HG variants with screw threads, a bit like rebar, they have a hexagonal head on the top and are designed to be inserted and withdrawn using a cordless drill. Seen those in use and they are very good. I don't want to have to cart a drill around, although I suppose you could use a bog standard ratchet socket and wrench but that would slow the pitching down considerably and be no substitute for a mallet.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

In my day we used what were basically meat skewers if the wooden ones wouldn't hammer in!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Took the footprint up to Letcliffe and pegged that out before starting on the tent . Because we had packed up on a damp footprint last week, the bottom of the tent groundsheet was wet which is why I couldn't fold and roll it properly. After the footprint had dried off completely we turned the tent over so the groundsheet could dry in the sun, only took 5 minutes or so

I reckon I have now cracked the repacking perfectly. First fold is the tapered front doorway. Door left open for air release. Next step fold the whole length across the width into three. Starting away from the open air valves. This is why you need the bottom of the tent groundsheet dry as you get one section of the underside in contact with the canopy. Once into a third of the width, fold again and drive all the air out from back to front. Final step, start the roll from the back driving any remaining excess air out via the front. This ends up with the smallest bundle we have ever achieved. :smile: A quick refold of the inner tent to match the same width of the main canopy. Inner tent on the bottom of the easy pack bag, outer tent and groundsheet bundle on top. Side compression straps folded over and tightened first followed by the front and back wraps which have the carrying handles on. Tension the compression straps on those and Bobs your uncle. Took about 30 minutes in total including drying and a session with a couple of our neighbours who came over for a chat.

Fit to pack away now probably until spring.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Perfect day for it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Camping”