SUMMER 2012

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: SUMMER 2012

Post by Stanley »

Your wind up on the side of Bleara must be affected by your position under the hill Wendy. We saw the wind turbines all facing in different directions on Tuesday. The general wind direction was from the west and is still there today, if anything slightly stronger. Thunder and a bit of rain in Barlick in the evening but no really heavy showers after noon. Glass has fallen again to 29.2" and there are big rain clouds rolling in from the west but passing over, big patches of blue sky at the moment but fast moving clouds.Anybody's guess at what we will get, pure luck I suspect.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The wind slowly turned round to the south west through the day. It's coming from the south at the moment.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We have a cooler clearer morning with broken cloud and a breeze from the west. Glass is on 29.3" and rising slowly. A weak sun is trying to break through under a black rain cloud at the moment. Anybody's guess what we'll get today apart from non-summer! The forecasters tell us that June is already the second wettest month in the last 100 years, it could break the record yet! The thing that strikes me is how lucky we are in Barlick compared with the poor people flooded in the last few days. Lots to be said for living on the watershed!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not a bad day yesterday on the whole but some loose showers with occasional rumbles of thunder which we managed to avoid! Glass has risen to 29.5", broken cloud and weak sunshine, very much like yesterday and I don't expect anything different.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Last two days strange am but hot and sunny pm now after 9.00pm and still warm. Eiloeen
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Talked to Janet in Perth and she was outside in winter sunshine reading and taking the rays.... Here in Barlick we were shower dodging and it was a lot cooler, I lit the stove for an hour last night. Glass trying to rise but only just over 29.5". Gentle rain outside and very dark at 4am.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Yesterday we cooked in the sun today back to heavy rain this morning Dave's stayed in bed. Stanley where abouts in Perth is Janet beautiful part of the world my friend lives there she's Australian that far back couldn't prove British ancestry Eileen
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's official, June was the wettest and dullest for over 100 years. No big surprise there. Forecasters blame the southerly course of the jet stream, question is why? The suspicion must be partly because of perturbation to ocean currents, worrying stuff. Further they say they see no change in the next 7/10 days. Here in Barlick we have cooler weather, heavy overcast and the threat of more rain. Glass is steady at just above 29.5" and thus offers no change. Not summer weather but the gardens think it's OK!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

We have gone from 32 degrees sunshine to rain and more rain. Yesterday stayed dry long enough for us to wash the outside of the van. Eileen
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was another mixed, mostly overcast but dry day. Rain in the night, Glass back slightly at 29.5" and it looks more like rain than yesterday. Roll on summer.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Basically same report as yesterday.... Boring non-summer weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It got exciting in the evening, we had lots of thunder and heavy rain. It wasn't a violent storm from a big thunder-head but a grumbling sheet lightning event inside a heavy overcast. Glass is steady on 29.5". The change is that late yesterday the wind shifted into the East and the next low is tracking across westwards and according to the forecasters is going to give us very heavy rain during the course of today. I wouldn't argue with them. Dry with thick overcast and they could be right. Only bright spot is that this is a change in the weather pattern and might eventually bring us some better weather!
Later, after walk round the town ans shopping. Light rain from a threatening sky at 8am, gradually getting heavier and not looking good at all. Short trot on the sidings methinks at dinnertime, not the day for walking even in a Barbour.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Asda at Colne was flooded yesterday. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ponE7kZMUg8&sns=fb Nolic :thinking:
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Compared with other parts of the country we seem to have missed the worst of the rain today.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Nolic wrote:Asda at Colne was flooded yesterday. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ponE7kZMUg8&sns=fb Nolic :thinking:

Oh dear. It looks a little damp...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

More heavy rain late afternoon early evening. Brierfield library closed due to flood damage and Walverden primary school aslso closed due to water damage. Local rivers now very high.
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

I've just down Listerwells Road onto Manchester Road and at the top end it's running like a river, hopefully the water grips we put in will accommodate all the water and divert it back onto the moor where it will eventually find it's way into Gillians beck.

The moor is so soddened the rain is just running off and not soaking in. It should be ok if it's a steady downpour, but if we get a sudden cloud burst I wouldn't want to be around the bottom of Listerwells Rd/Manchester Road.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Chief Stoker - Royal Navy (Retired)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Asda flooding looks very much like gutters being overwhelmed. Were they kept clean?
We were once again very lucky in Barlick, we missed the worst of it. Doc is right about the danger from a sudden event on the moor when it is full of water. Almost exactly 80 years since the Barlick Flood....
Flags are dry this morning, wind is from the east and cloud is broken at the moment but a bank of dark cloud out Skipton way. Glass is still rock solid on 29.5". Bit of water at Silverstone yesterday for the F1 practice....

Later.... Dry walk round the town but overcast and feels as though it could rain any minute.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Rain heading in our direction from the Irish Sea. I reckon we've got another hour or so of sunshine.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Ever the optimists, I saw quite a few Barlickers out in their flip flops on town this morning, clutching at straws meethinks!

Sunshine is hot if you are in it, (shining through water).

The 3 day weather widget I have on my desktop shows a very dismal tale for the next few days.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very heavy thunder shower at about 5pm. Glass still locked on 29.5" so no real change about.... It was overcast at 04:30 but the sun is shining now.....
Ian, was it you I spoke to on the Croft yesterday? I'm lousy on faces and the cataracts don't help much!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

It was indeed Stanley.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry I didn't realise Ian.... Old age is a bugger! Nice day yesterday and a light shower in the night. Glass still nailed on 29.5". Anybody's guess.....
Later, after our walk. It's an overcast, still morning with occasional mizzle in the air. Very close and humid. No doubt this is why the forecasters tell us that there will be scattered thunderstorms today and nobody is safe from them. I have two accurate hygrometers in the house, one in the front room and one in the kitchen. A 'normal' reading is 50/55% but we are now up to 70% inside. This has shown up in the fact that for only the second time in ten years my loaf has grown fur! Normally I can make a loaf last as long as I want to, up to about five days.
The forecasters also tell us that the wind will swing to the North later in the week and get this, there is a 'chance of frost in Northern regions'. I can't remember that happening before..... So the outlook for the week is cold and wet. Deep Joy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Been off line several days in transit. Now back in Blighty 20 and sunny in Plymouth but gradually worse when we got home. Seems pretty warm but not sunny. Eileen
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very gloomy day yesterday but we escaped heavy showers like the ones that hit Hebden Bridge again. Glass still nailed on 29.5". Forecasters see no change apart from colder over next week or ten days.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”