Re: Hi to you from new poster. Looking for Harrison Family Information

PollyLynn
Donor

Post by PollyLynn »

Hi, You,

How are you?

I have never done well with the introduce yourself question. I have been interested in genealogy since age ten, and particularly these last 13 years in my Harrison family. This past week we have finally made it "back" to England. My relatives and I have been looking for about 150 years for who and where our most recent Brit was. About 1649 or by 1663 my Harrison ancestor John left England for Ireland, and from Ireland to the U.S. (New York, Virginia), Canada, and New Zealand, with a tiny bit in Australia and back to England as well.

I am researching my own(?) Harrison family. You had a series of posts from Ighten back in 2018. I think that is my family (we traced to that very same Phillip of Swinden), but I am double checking. In Yorkshire, there are at least two other Harrison families very close geographically to mine. Both one and I are in Elslack (but my Phillip Harrison junior moved to Elslack just before 1841). My Phillip junior was born at Swinden, near Gisburn. In 1841 Philip, born Swinden Yorkshire, was married to Martha born about 1818 at Broughton, Yorkshire. In 1861 [my?] Phillip Harrison [junior] was a butcher living at Skipton, Barnoldswick, also at Monk House Cottages.

My Phillip Harrison senior had a brother Benjamin Harrison of Elslack (so taht is before 1841, right). My Phillip Harrison senior (born about 1772) was buried in Gisburn, at St. Mary. He married Elizabeth "Betty" and they had Joseph (born in 1804), Phillip junior (born in 1807-ish), Richard, Mary, Edward, Timothy, and Alice. And this Phillip Harrison junior had children born at Elslack.

My questions. That other Harrison descendant who is not related to us also had Harrison ancestors of Elslack but never has a Phillip in his tree. So trying to keep these trees apart. Do you think the father of Phillip Harrison senior (1772-1841 buried Gisburn, had brother Benjamin at Elslack) was the reverend Joseph Harrison of Bingley, Yorkshire? What is or were Monk House Cottages? Can I assume that every Harrison buried at Gisburn (St. Mary) is from the same Harrison family? There are about 100 Harrision buried at Gisburn; would they all be related to each other (by blood and marriage)? How far a move was Swinden or Gisburn area to Barnoldswick?

About me. I am from Illinois, United States, which includes Chicago and abuts St. Louis across the Mississippi. My own Harrison ancestor left England under Cromwell , say 6 branches of my world-wide English-speaking family, out to tenth cousins. John Harrison the Elder was in Castleblayney, County Monaghan, in 1663, 1665, and died there in 1705. Where was he born? We now think he matches this Swinden Phillip. Swinden today has a population of 20, so unlikely to have a forum. Thank you.

PollyLynn
Illinois
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Welcome to the site PollyLynn. I have moved Ighten's Harrison post from it's original position in "Introductions" to the Genealogy section on the site. It is now in the "Looking for Someone" thread.

I will do the same for this post also, as here in "Practice Posting" it is the only thread on the site that auto purges every few days. Can't let that happen to your post as it has lots of relevant information to your search. I will leave it here for an odd day them move it. You will see that I have also renamed it slightly to reflect the purpose of the post. The site search and internet search engines will pick that up better.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Hi and welcome.
I have tried to contact Ighten on your behalf through the email we have registered but he, or she, hasn't been on the site since that post in 2018. I gave them your email address so fingers crossed!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Polly, you seem to have found out how to get on the site.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I have moved this post into the genealogy forum. I have left a shadow topic in "Practice Posting" which will auto purge in a few days.
Ian
PollyLynn
Donor

Post by PollyLynn »

Thank you to Stanley for getting me on this site, despite my beginner's knowledge of the local hills. And Wendy and Stanley gave Ighten (back in 2018) such good answers to his question about his ancestor Phillip Harrison. It is that thread that brought me to your site.

I have read All Creatures Great and Small (wise and Wonderful, etc.), four books by James Herriott, and watched on PBS two versions of the TV show. How far is Barnoldswick from the Yorkshire Dales? The Yorkshire Dales was my wrong answer to the question whose answer is Pennines.
PollyLynn
Donor

Post by PollyLynn »

Hi, again, all. You have been so helpful.

Phillip Harrison junior and senior
I am interested in the Phillip Harrison family of Swinden. Phillip Harrison was born about 1807 at Swinden, near Gisburn, was a butcher of Skipton, married Martha of Broughton; their children were born at Elslack, Parish of Broughton. He appears to be the son of Phillip [senior] who died at Low Ground Farm in Elslack and is buried at Gisburn.

Gisburn Cemetery
I was so excited that Phillip was buried at Gisburn once I discovered a list of about 100 Harrisons buried at St. Mary at Gisburn. But many buried there appear to be a from an Elslack family of Broughton to which I have not [yet?] connected. I doubt I shall connect to them as they are a different haplogroup from mine; we are M-253 for the record and have traced to 1663 and 1666 emigrants (have taken about 30 Y tests). I am hoping to confirm our genealogical link to the Phillip Harrison family by a Y DNA testing a Yorkshire Harrison. I am just going over the Elslack ground, so new to me as our two branches of the Harrison family were outside England--still in Great Britain--by 1663 and 1687.

A more recent generation is this:
If I cannot match to the large Harrison family of Elslack, perhaps there is a mistake in the connection of Phillip junior's son: William Harrison of Elslack (born 1836 Elslack or about 1835 has the 1851 census). William died in 1887 at age 52, 9 Willow St., Habergham Eaves, Burnley. He had married in 1860 to Nancy Demaine (or Demain) in the Parish Church [name?], Barnoldswick, Yorkshire. Couple lived at Monk House Cottage or Cottages, Barnoldswick. Their daughter was Isabella who married Septimus Whittaker and she died at Nelson, Burnley, Lancashire.

Polly LYNN
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

PollyLynn wrote: 07 Jul 2023, 15:47 William died in 1887 at age 52, 9 Willow St., Habergham Eaves, Burnley.
Habergham Eaves was absorbed into Burnley some while ago. Willow St was part of a small number of streets set behind the Military Barracks down Clifton St. (now demolished). Willow St is still there but a much forgotten corner of Burnley. The Parish church was probably All Saints. Habergham Eaves. A Baptist Church. Now All Saints + St Johns.

Sorry I can't help with the family history part
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

PollyLynn wrote: 07 Jul 2023, 13:07 How far is Barnoldswick from the Yorkshire Dales?
Barnoldswick is roughly 9 miles south of Skipton which is considered as the "Gateway to the Dales". The Pennines encompass all of the hills (and dales) that run up the spine of the country from Derbyshire to the Higher Dales which are just south of the Scottish border. The Pennines are also known as the "Backbone of England".

All my ancestors traced so far are all from various parts of the Yorkshire Dales.
Ian
PollyLynn
Donor

Post by PollyLynn »

Thank you, PanBiker and Plaques. I have a better feel for the place. Pennines, spine of England, all the way up to Scotland.

By 1861 William Harrison was married to Nancy Demaine and lived at Monk House Cottage, Barnoldswick. He was a cotton weaver.

New questions:
(1) In 1861, where might William Harrison of Barnoldswick have been a cotton weaver? He lived at Monk House Cottages. Would he have weaved in his own home or in a big building? Note that in 1851 he had already been a cotton power loom weaver whereas both parents were Delainer hand loom weavers. So power loom would be run by a wheel on a river? Did Barnoldswick have more than one cotton mill in 1851, 1861? What are my choices and where would you put him? Thank you. What was the population of Barnoldswick and how many people worked in cotton weaving?

This cotton weaving sounds like part of England's industrial revolution. And you are not far from Scotland where a loom was invented. Were Monk Cottages part of factory housing? They say that when the American South/Confederates had its Civil War (1861 to 1865) and stopped being able to export cotton because of the blockade by the Union ("North") that England had a lot of cotton on hand already, to last maybe a year or year and a half. Then it turned seamlessly to Egypt for cotton. But William left cotton weaving by 1871. Were the cotton mills of Barnoldswick at all affected by the American Civil War (wlow down, stop) or had they stockpiled cotton enough to get them through the war? When did they start buying Egyptian cotton?

(2) By 1871 WIlliam was an Earthenware Dealer, living at 26 Cheapside, Burnley, Lancashire. By now they had 6 children, with John born in Great Harwood.

(3) In 1881 living at Habergham Eaves, Burnley. "The Parish church was probably All Saints. Habergham Eaves. A Baptist Church. Now All Saints + St Johns.” Are you saying that a Baptist church was the parish church? I just assumed anything official, like a parish church, would be Anglican/Church of England. Thank you. This sounds like my Harrison family, Baptist. Because in New York, Isaiah Harrison (born 1663/1666 possibly Yorkshire) married two American Quakers. To be willing to marry a Quaker, perhaps he was more Baptist than Anglican; perhaps he had been Quaker in England/Ireland. (There was a John Harrison Quaker visiting Seagoe Parish, Down, I haven't gone back to that record. And also our Harrison in 1200s-1300s match on a Y test to Pyles of Wiltshire, who in 1600s became Quaker.) Thank you.

PollyLynn
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

There will be a lot of information on the local weaving in some of Stanley's postings in "Stanley's View" and a number of other history threads on the site. He has researched extensively over the years. I am sure he will post and point you in the right direction to some that may be relevant.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

PollyLynn wrote: 09 Jul 2023, 12:37 (2) By 1871 WIlliam was an Earthenware Dealer, living at 26 Cheapside, Burnley, Lancashire. By now they had 6 children, with John born in Great Harwood.

(3) In 1881 living at Habergham Eaves, Burnley. "The Parish church was probably All Saints. Habergham Eaves. A Baptist Church. Now All Saints + St Johns.” Are you saying that a Baptist church was the parish church? I just assumed anything official, like a parish church, would be Anglican/Church of England. Thank you.
Now getting confusing. there are two Cheapsides in Burnley . The area round All Saints. Being the one associated with Habergham Eaves. by-the -way there was at that time a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel about 100 yards away from All Saints. I don't know if there was a Cheapside Street near All Saints. All Saints was built and paid for by Dugdale a big mill owner who lived about half a mile away in IVY Bank. Said to be the richest man in England in his day.
The second Cheapside area being in Burnley at Westgate about two miles away. A very low cost housing area that has been mainly demolished and rebuilt. There could have been a Cheapside St. but I would have to check on that.
Last edited by plaques on 10 Jul 2023, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Polly Lynn

Cheapside Burnley. This is a 1851 map. of the old Cheapside area in Burnley. All the old street name have been replace. The building to the left of Cheapside mill could well have been Cheapside St. Show as squares they were probably back to back house the first to be demolished or converted ito shops.
Cheapside Burnley.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

1861 there were two steam driven mills. Clough Mill next door to Monk's cottages and Butts mill a 100 yards further away.
All this information is on the site. Try using the search engine in the banner at the top of the page. Put a term in such as the name of a mill and you will get all the references on the site immediately.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

For our new member Polly, I will add a note regarding images in some of the older threads. Due to changes in the Gallery module on the site which holds most of the images the references for each image were changed. Consequently some images inserted in the older threads no longer display correctly, There are too many to manually alter all of them on the site but if you come across any that you you would particularly like to see, just request this in the thread along with a reference to the post and I will update it so that it correctly displays.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's a big promise Ian. I hope nobody imposes on good will too much!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PollyLynn
Donor

Post by PollyLynn »

You can count on me to impose on good will, Stanley.

Thank you, Plaques, for this good information on mills and maps.

I have recently finished writing a book about my Harrison family called Trades and Professions of the Harrison Family. The three-volume book is about the many descendants of John Harrison of Castleblayney, County Monaghan, Ireland, and their careers. I listed Harrisons in each career category (archaeologist to weaver). Then I found or wrote articles about one to five people who practiced each career. John Harrison the Elder (about 1630s-1703) lived in the district of Castleblayney in 1663 and in 1665, and died there in 1703. According to six branches of our M-253 Harrison family this ancestor [John] was born in England, but we don't know where. For the record, the reverend Thomas Harrison of Hull is not the father of either John senior or junior or of Isaiah. I doubt Thomas is related to us at all; no evidence for it.

Our Harrisons have taken over a couple dozen Y DNA tests. Having hunted down five Y matches to various places in England, I think we are related to William Harrison (1836 Elslack, Broughton to 1887 at 9 Willow Street, Habergham Eaves, Burnley). William was a son of Philip Harrison junior (1807 Swinden--not Swindon--to 1867 Barnoldswick), son of Philip Harrison senior (about 1772 Yorkshire to 1841 with burial at Gisburn church). I am not (yet) claiming all the Harrisons of Elslack and Gisburn; in fact those may be from a different haplogroup, therefore a different Harrison family altogether. And fortunately they are not claiming any Philip Harrison. I suppose that our William Harrison's father Philip was not only from Swinden in 1807, but also their ancestors were from Yorkshire back to the invasion of York in 866 or soon after that; our ancestor was from what is now Sweden. For confirmation of our origins in Yorkshire, we Harrisons are interested in Y testing a male descendant of Philip the Elder.

In order to leave a trail to follow, I am thinking of adding three pages to the book (volume 3 under W for weaver) about this weaving Harrison family. I shall look--than you Stanley for the suggestion--at the two steam-powered mills that are near Monk Cottages. They were Clough Mill and Butts Mill. I am seeking William Harrison in 1851 as power loom weaver of cotton; and his parents Philip Harrison and Martha Cooper were weaving Delaine, women's wool. Thank you all.

Polly LYNN
PollyLynn
Donor

Post by PollyLynn »

Photo? I would love one photo of cotton weaving, particularly. In 1851 William Harrison was a power loom weaver of cotton. Could your photo be in the public domain? Or might I obtain the permission of the photographer? For images, I have to comply with laws in Britain, the EU, and the United States. I would of course love to know the source of the photo. :)

So that should cut down on work for Plaques, just one good photo of a cotton weaver at work or a photo of a power loom, preferably but not necessarily at Mitchell/Clough/Slater Mill or Butts Mill. Or a photo of a cotton mill. Stanley Challenger Graham has my e-mail address for sending a pdf (etc.) Wow, thank you.

PollyLynn
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This pic is on the site....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Looking For Someone”