ENERGY MATTERS

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: ENERGY MATTERS

Post by Tizer »

We keep hearing about this new `gigafactory' but what usually doesn't get mentioned is that it will be on the site of the old ROF at Puriton near Bridgwater. It's bound to be a success because the site has been renamed `Gravity'. :extrawink:
`Indian firm Tata's electric car battery factory to bring 9,000 jobs to Bridgwater' WSFP
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I realised yesterday that my CH boiler has given 18 years trouble-free service so I rang Jonathan Greenbank, we had a conversation and I have decided that we will have a new boiler in before the heating season starts.
The same man who did my full service and I think he installed Ken's boiler a few years ago.....
Peter, I heard the news about the battery factory and wondered about the size of the subsidy we would have to pay to a non-British company (bribe?) Is this going to be the norm in the brave new global world?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Article by Justin Rowlatt, Climate editor, BBC News...
`The truth about heat pumps and the power needed to run them' LINK
I note the mention about needing more nuclear power but no reference to small nuclear reactors which I thought the government was meant to be promising. It's odd that this hasn't been given more priority because there's nothing new about the small reactors. They've been used in submarines and warships since the 1960s - the USS Enterprise aircraft carrier was launched with nuclear power in the early 60s and now every US carrier is nuclear powered and many of the smaller warships are too. (But not our two latest carriers which are powered by gas turbines and diesel generators.)
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Inaccuracy in the BBC article, The graphic "How a heat pump works" says they act like an air conditioner in summer. The usual type (an air to water) which is the one you can get a £5000 grant for cannot really act as an air conditioner in summer. They use larger than normal radiators or under floor heating on the inside. neither of which has facilities to deal with condensation which is an inevitable consequence for cooling air. Yep you could pump chilled water round the radiators but they would be running with condensation much of the time. You can buy (as I have) an air - air heat pump which are just sold as air conditioners. Decades ago an air conditioner just did air conditioning but more recent ones just add a reversing valve and does heating as well as cooling. But these are not eligible for a grant and are often demonised as air conditioning is seen as waste in the UK. My system spends less than 1% cooling and is more efficient than an air to water Typically 5:1 rather than the 3:1 in the BBC article. They are an awful lot cheaper becuase you don't need big extensions to the CH water circuit. Now maybe if the owners manual said "heat pump" rather than air conditioner (anything with a refrigertion circuit is a heat pump including what you call a fridge or a freezer ) the stupid situation we have now would be a little less stupid.

Regarding warships being nuclear powered, when you have a little navy whose main use of a surface fleet is flag waving and diplomacy , not being able to sail your ship into many harbours becuase many countries forbid nuclear powered ships in their harbours is a real downer.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Really interesting. Thanks.

Do you think anyone in the Government which is pushing heat pumps so strongly is aware of that?

I doubt it. Do you have enough spare time to be Energy Minister :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The boiler is fitted and tested, all radiators checked, controls set, darkroom tap in bathroom is disconnected and waste pipe capped. New mixer tap fitted on kitchen sink. I reminded Jonathan about the registration he will do it today. That was a busy and successful day, I look forward to a rest now.
That saves any worrying about heating except how to pay for the energy. But this boiler is as efficient as they come. I can do no more.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

I very much doubt the government would want an anti-capitalist who thinks the time for chasing net zero was 4 or 5 decades ago.

Sooner of later some spark will catch on that a system that depends on continuous growth is folly on a planet with limited resources. History teaches us that the worlds empires all collapsed because they hit the limit of what was doable at that point in time. Irrespective of what you think of climate change, a system kept afloat by fossil fuels is bound to die. If were lucky we can do a controlled slowdown where every human and a good proportion of live as we know it doesn't die in the process. But capitalism has to go in the bin and then we have to work out how to reduce the planets population by about 5 billion with as little suffering as possible.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dead right and a hard truth that we will slowly have to learn to live with. Someone like me born in in the 1930s and still here almost 100 years later has seen the rise and the glory days. Nobody will ever have it as easy again.
I don't feel guilty, just privileged!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Thanks for your posts, Pluggy, we're lucky to have your contributions to the topic (and your pithy presentation! :smile: )
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Pluggy wrote: 01 Aug 2023, 14:05 and then we have to work out how to reduce the planets population by about 5 billion with as little suffering as possible.
I'd say that was the wisest comment on here for some time. I agree - most problems would be improved by fewer people. Problem is - it would take world wide cooperation and that looks a bit unlikely.

Forget Energy Secretary -go for PM. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Putin would happily reduce the world population for free! :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Climate change might be more efficient than we suspected at lowering population. We haven't seen the full effects on food supplies yet, only the precursors.....
Nature has a habit of initiating balancing measures......
(Like pandemics..... :biggrin2: )
On more mundane energy matters.... I am happy to report that British Gas have rendered the July account on time. It's £90 for what should be the cheapest month of the year.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I noticed yesterday that my leccy meter isn't reporting remotely. This is the time of month for my energy bill so I am watching to see what happens.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

My gas meter packed up being "smart" a few months back. electric meter is still reporting OK. I read them both last week and sent the info to Octopus. They are usually very good at estimating, only a few digits difference when I check. :smile: Good to sent the actuals occasionally though.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 02 Sep 2023, 12:08 My gas meter packed up being "smart" a few months back. electric meter is still reporting OK. I read them both last week and sent the info to Octopus. They are usually very good at estimating, only a few digits difference when I check. :smile: Good to sent the actuals occasionally though.
Have you reported it as broken Ian?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I have in the past applied for upgraded meters. Maybe time to give them a nudge.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Even my 'upgraded' leccy meter has stopped reporting. However, I have been charged as usual for the month's energy. (£93)
Kev, should I report my leccy meter?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 03 Sep 2023, 02:10 Even my 'upgraded' leccy meter has stopped reporting. However, I have been charged as usual for the month's energy. (£93)
Kev, should I report my leccy meter?
If it's stopped working, I would. It's entirely your choice though.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've decided that since I have been billed for August just as I should be despite the meter not working properly, the best thing is to leave well alone!
PS. How does my leccy and standing charges compare with other's bills.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This morning was the first time I have been able to observe my new CH boiler coping with a demand. I was pleasantly surprised by how quiet and efficient it is but also be how well it modulated, not firing any harder than it had to to maintain the temperature set on the thermostat. I think it might be OK!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 04 Sep 2023, 02:49 PS. How does my leccy and standing charges compare with other's bills.
What are the charges?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

July and August were £90 and £97 respectively Kev and that was before heating of course so mainly leccy and standing charges.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The CH kicked in at about 06:00. It seems to be set at about the right level. The house is very comfortable.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 22 Sep 2023, 02:46 July and August were £90 and £97 respectively Kev and that was before heating of course so mainly leccy and standing charges.....
What are the unit rates?
My elec is
Screenshot_2023-09-22-08-01-07-820_com.eonnextmobile.app.jpg
and gas is
Screenshot_2023-09-22-08-02-29-578_com.eonnextmobile.app.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”