Excellent, welcome back Ken :mexwave:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Cathy
VIP Member

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Cathy »

Yaye 😀 Great to see you are back with us Ken.
Rest up and get better. How is Mrs P?
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That was a pretty good post to come downstairs to. So pleased to get word Ken. Take your time and check what we have been saying behind your back! :biggrin2: :good:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I have a recent manifestation which is a bit weird. My toes on the right foot feel like they have been in cramp and are a bit sore when I walk.

After total loss of muscular function on the right post op. I never managed to rewire the neurons for my toes on that side. I have feeling in them but no motor function at all so I cant move them. It's nothing to do with my new trainers as I haven't worn them yet or had any different footwear on for the last few days. I think I may try bare feet in the house for a bit as that exercises them more.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Ian wrote.....

I have a recent manifestation which is a bit weird. My toes on the right foot feel like they have been in cramp and are a bit sore when I walk.

My instep has become very weak, rolling up and down on my toes but not with full weight seems to be helping to get some strength back into it. Worth a try, costs nothing. :laugh5:

Very emotional in seeing all the get well support from everybody. Cathy, Mrs P has taken charge determined to stop me getting lazy.

Once back in Royal Blackburn acute ward I joined the queue again. Two days in purgatory before moving to an assessment ward. Then a bed in the Cardiology ward (10 patients). Then tests and more tests but I suspect this had been lined up before I arrived. I will tell about the fun bit in the next episode.
Blackburn Corridor Ward.jpg
'

. Me entering my long corridor ward. Note the quality brown shoes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

plaques wrote: 06 Sep 2023, 12:43 Note the quality brown shoes.
And the polished presentation Ken. :smile: I think it's only the older end now that look after shoes. I was taught from an early age so I look after boots and leather shoes in that regard at our house.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Great to see you back Plaques! I guess they had to tear you away from all those pretty nurses! :extrawink:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

plaques wrote: 06 Sep 2023, 12:43 Ian wrote.....

My instep has become very weak, rolling up and down on my toes but not with full weight seems to be helping to get some strength back into it. Worth a try, costs nothing. :laugh5:
Part of my neuro physio routine drilled in by the lovely Laura. My version is barefoot with hands on the wall and then edge up the wall with your hands until you are at full stretch, (or as much as you can manage), repeat slowly x 5 - 10. Then try and increase the reach at successive attempts. Never managed to get my toes moving but they didn't hurt! Probably a killed off a section of my left motor region. I did ask about that and it is a possibility. Small price from no control at all. :smile: :extrawink:
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I am sorry to hear all of this plaques. I don’t read Medical Matters very often but this evening found myself browsing through. I am not sure of everything that has bern happening to you, but I hope you are now on the mend and I am sorry I was not on the ball knowing you were so ill. Apart from the daily diary I have not been on oneguy very much over the last few weeks. We had limited online access in France so I tended to keep my use to a minimum . I came home just before I ran out of my allocation.

Enough about me, take care, and hope for a speedy recovery
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Such a treat to have him back Sue!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Went to the dentist yesterday. Final fitting for the extra strenght acrylic top set. Let's see you snap this one" I quietly think to myself.

Approached the reception area -

"Hello - and which one of you two ladies rang me to change the time of this appointment" ?

Lady on the right - rather cautiously - "that would be me"
► Show Spoiler
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

My Royal Blackburn visit, Final chapter.

Cardiac Care unit. Activity was building. Echo scan on my heart. One unit of blood transfused followed by a second unit the day after. All hush hush, maximum mushroom management stuff. Another Echo scan. Fluid building up in the heart and also visible in the lower legs.
Onto the portable chair and into the Cardiac workshop. Placed on a table that must have been four foot high. We will give you some sedation. Name and date of birth, that was lights out for me.
The doctor inserted a needle between the ribs into the pericardium cavity to drain the excess fluid.
Back in bed with a drain from the heart to a bag dangling under the bed. Big ten inch square plaster to protect the drain.
That was the situation until one of the so helpful young nurses had her own ideas how to manoeuvre me from the chair to the bed. The drain was dislodged but thankfully it had done its stuff.
The consultant was now happy to move me the the Nelson Waterside recovery hospital as soon as a bed was available,

My main recovery problem is that I now weighed 145 lbs 6 ft tall and looked like an empty elephant all skin and bone.

Upward and onward as the say. :biggrin2:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

You've certainly been through it Ken. I trust you're being fattened up again with some meat puddings?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Yes onwards and upwards Ken.
Sending a bit of sunshine to brighten your day
☀️ 🌻
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's like Three Men in a Boat Ken..... you mention a symptom and I think bloody hell, I've got that!
So glad it all went well and yes, pity the Culvert Pie shop is gone now, steak pudding and peas daily would soon cure the weight problem.
David, loved your story about the lady at the dentists. Well done! My father once told me to give flowers while people were alive and not wait until the funeral..... You made her day.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The current postal situation is causing a lot of issues for medical appointments. Although not an appointment, I should have received a letter from my consultant at Blackburn hospital, confirming the outcome of various tests and scans. The letter is available in my NHS app dated August 21st (only noticed it today) but still no hard copy to me (it would have been posted at the same time the electronic copy was sent to my GP). The condition is nofitiable to DVLA, if I didn't have the app I would have been oblivious.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My thoughts are with Ken and Mrs P. I hope they are well!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

My thoughts are with Ken and Mrs P. I hope they are well!
Now in the hands of the district nurse group allied to the Colne Health centre. Programmed to come today for blood samples instead of me trying to get up to them.
Mrs P worried about my weight 28 lb down on my fit as a butchers dog weight although now eating quite well. Dietitian booked for advice.

The letter is available in my NHS app dated August 21st (only noticed it today) but still no hard copy to me (it would have been posted at the same time the electronic copy was sent to my GP).

I use Patient access but get nothing from any Blackburn results. I tried loading the NHS phone app but afterwards it rejected my password. I think I will try again but don't want to upset the Patient Access.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I've had to wait a week or more for NHS letters to arrive here. Now I read that the NHS is angry with Royal Mail because they are delivering so much NHS post late and sometimes after the appointment date in the letter. On the other hand, perhaps the NHS should get itself up to speed with email and web communications and avoid the Royal Mail except for anyone who can only receive communications by post. That would suit Royal Mail too because they don't want to have to deliver post.

I started with Patient Access, had some trouble with it so registered with NHS Access. I didn't do anything with the PA registration, just left it to languish and it hasn't caused any problem with me using NHS Access and that works fine for me.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 10:14 I use Patient access but get nothing from any Blackburn results. I tried loading the NHS phone app but afterwards it rejected my password. I think I will try again but don't want to upset the Patient Access.
I have the Chemists 4 U app, which links to my NHS account. I use both apps without any issues. I only get communication from Blackburn if a copy is set to my GP.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My attention has been diverted from Ken for the last couple of days by the adventures Margaret is having......
She went in hospital yesterday for her bionic knee and in no time at all was out of theatre recovering and they gave her a spinal block injection to stop the pain and so avoid using opioids. That seems sensible to me.
This morning I have had a phone call from her.... She is still pain free, can move her leg and knee and the physio is coming today to get her out of bed, into her walking frame and walking. It's like Star Trek medicine. She says she can't post with her tablet because she doesn't know the password and she reckons it's different than her laptop at home.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just had a Whatsapp message from Margaret. Physio have been and she's walked with her Zimmer frame. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 13 Sep 2023, 06:37 Just had a Whatsapp message from Margaret. Physio have been and she's walked with her Zimmer frame. :biggrin2:
I saw Margaret's post on Facebook earlier this morning. They don't let you linger long in bed with any ambulatory conditions. Same day as my exit from the high dependency unit for me.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

My waking has been impacted this holiday. I have a very sore toe on the right, just one, next to my big toe. It's very stiff and painful when I walk. I reported similar the other week, now back with a vengeance. Will have to see the doc or nurse when I get home. :sad:
Ian

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”