Today I shall be Mainly...

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by PanBiker »

Sally and I have use Specsavers for 10 years or so without a problem.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had a 6 hour wait but the casting fairy has been. I am going to stay busy in the shed....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 27 Sep 2023, 13:09 Sally and I have use Specsavers for 10 years or so without a problem.
These are Specsavers branded frames from their £129 range, they're very light and were comfortable from day one. They fit behind my hearing aids without issue, I was concerned it would be uncomfortable with all that kit on my ears but it's been OK. The hinges are sprung to open an extra 45 degrees to minimise any potential breakage and they feel quite strong. There was a lot of technology used to align the varifocal placement, as well as a 'manual dot' with a Sharpie :biggrin2:
Hopefully they'll last as long as my £500 pair. I only replaced them as my close up vision has changed.
IMG_20230927_152845~2.jpg
IMG_20230927_153053~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Interesting. I wasn’t changing my frames, they are two years old, I like them, they are still fashionable and they are the most comfortable frames I have ever had. I don’t even know I am wearing them, they weren’t expensive.

Its the lenses that cost and they have gone up for like for like from two years ago. I am wearing the pair lf glasses before that whilst mine are being reglazed. They are not as confortable and even though the prescription is the same the lenses aren’t and they are not as good . The lenses I have in my new glasses and have had for two years are a different sort of varifocal gradation …or something like that.. they are the first pair I have been able to sew in. I am shortsighted and it was always easier to read, sew etc with glasses off. I am back to that with these old ones. Mind you I still often sew etc without my glasses .
If you keep searching you will find it
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Fascinating.

I like to keep a few spare pairs for emergencies, and of varying strengths for different applications. - in fact I'm surprised how many I have. Some I've never actually used yet. They're all from Home Bargains from their 0.99p range.The magnifying glass is a recent buy, and a last resort. It set me back £1.60 if I recall. :smile:
specs.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tripps wrote: 27 Sep 2023, 19:26 I like to keep a few spare pairs for emergencies
Enough there for the apocalypse let alone an emergency :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Two observations.....
They used to call spring sided frames 'police frames'.
What an impressive array of spectacles David! If you got the spare phones out as well we would be overwhelmed.
As for what I shall be doing today. I think I need to tidy up in the shed first but I have my second crankshaft blank to be working on and I shall have to go veggie shopping later as I need to cook shortly. I shall not miss my second sleep today.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The casting fairy came yesterday so the first job this morning was to unpack £633 worth of castings and put them all where they are supposed to be. Then I installed the next piece of scrap in the lathe and got an accurate centre in the end. Then turn it down to 2" diameter. I got to within a last small cut and stopped there. I shall do that one tomorrow when the metal is cool and can be measured accurately. A good productive hour and a quarter. I am happy apart from having to spend that money!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

As the storm that never happened here was expected yesterday ( in fact we had a sunny afternoon) we went to Rochdale by car for Bob’s covid jab. It appears I could have made an appointment too but they were also doing walk ins. The kind lady who did Bobs jab did mine too. Next in the queue was the husband of the colleague of mine who died last September. It was a bad week for him being a year since Annes death. From there I returned a parcel to M&S then we had a coffee and drove back home. It was lunch time by then. We both feel a little tired this morning, probably from the jab. I did a couple of clothes repairs alterations in the afternoon and little else, a bit of online french grammar. Its a great sitting occupation

Today is the first Thursday art at Haslingden. It a do your own thing workshop so I shall take it easy and this afternoon too.

Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm hoping to get my flu jab this weekend Sue and will enquire at Well pharmacy about Covid. You're well in front of me....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Tripps wrote: 27 Sep 2023, 19:26 Fascinating.

I like to keep a few spare pairs for emergencies, and of varying strengths for different applications. - in fact I'm surprised how many I have. Some I've never actually used yet. They're all from Home Bargains from their 0.99p range.The magnifying glass is a recent buy, and a last resort. It set me back £1.60 if I recall. :smile:

specs.JPG
🤣My Dad used to collect these too, as he was always losing or breaking his. We took him out for a meal once and he said he needed his glasses to read the menu. Never my problem as I can always read the small print on anything. Anyway he put his bargain glasses on and exclaimed that was better. We were both very surprised and struggled to contain our laughter as the said’useful’ glasses HAD NO LENSES IN!

Neither Bob’s nor my prescription can be bought over the counter though…shame it could save a fortune.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sue, that reminds me of my mate Peter Tatham the steeplejack. He came to me one day and asked if I could have a look at his Box Brownie as it was taking very blurred photos. I had a look and informed him the reason was simple, his lens had dropped out. I gave him a Praktika SLR that was my first camera when I started taking a serious interest in snapping. They were a good camera for a steeplejack because they stood up to any amount of rough treatment and dirt.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's nice to sit down..... :biggrin2: I'm just back from veggie shopping in Town square and a salad buttie from Barlic Bites whilst sat on the form at the end of Albert Road supervising traffic. Then into the Co-op for my milk and off home. Everything is put away and just one thing to relate.
I congratulated Amanda on making enough money to afford a makeover of the shop interior and she i9nformed me it hadn't cost anything, some of her customers had done it for her free. They are also going to do the outside!
I think this is even more laudable than trading at a profit......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

A heart warming experience. make the most of it. I have just come back from visiting the Council offices. My soul is (almost) destroyed. :smile:

I had the post code, and it's about a mile from Home Bargains where you get your reading glasses from, so no problem?

Satnav takes me to a Business Park containing many anonymous ultra modern buildings. They all seem to have numbers like 2001 etc. No names, or clues as to what they contain, like 1984 I guess. Enough accommodation to cope with hundreds if not thousnads of workers, but almost no one about.

I parked up and entered one of them. Must start somewhere. No information on the outside and no one at the reception desk. A list of occupants was on the wall at the very back of the entrance area. Why not outside? Not who I was looking for. I left to try another building. Noticed the reception chap had returned so asked him - "No you want the Council - that's on the other side - out of here turn left - drive straight on and it's on your right - can't miss it".

Got there - past a lovely lake with ducks and swans - and parked - most of the spots are reserved for EV's. (Electric vehicles) a portent of things to come? I did not however see a single vehicle plugged in so I ignored it all, and parked as near to the exit as I could.

Found the way in, and there was another middle aged male receptionist, (unusual) - on the headset phone so he waved me away. He was surrounded by pamphlets and Covid screens, and there were two chairs in front of his desk. How long do you need at a reception point? He finished his phone call, and asked my name and what was my business. I moved the chairs out of the way, (a bit ostentatiously) and said I'd come to collect a package. He asked for my address. I politely said he didn't need to know that - he agreed, and he went to get the package.

We parted on good terms both agreeing it was a souless place and almost as if they didn't want anyone to find them. He said he had the same problem when he came for his job interview. Then a nearby workman type chap asked if I needed any help with the package. "That's kind I said "but I'm in the car park." "That's OK" he replied "I've not got anything to do right now". A bit of humanity amidst the most impersonal place I've ever been to. Much appreciated.

Soon found my way back to familiar ground - Morrisons - resisted the temptation to go into Home Bargains, and went home.

Thought - If this is the 21st Century - they can keep it. . . Is it me or the 21st Century? Probably me.

Stanley - rejoice that you have such a place literally almost on your doorstep. You're still analogue - we've gone full digital .
Enjoy it - while it's still there. :smile:

PS I'm having trouble getting this image out of my mind. :smile:
Platts.jpg
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Called in at the large supermarket on my doorstep. Names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Searching for some cheapo spectacles none to be seen. Asked one of the workers if they had discontinued with them. No was his reply they keep moving the display around. Mind you they are bloody expensive. I would recommend Home Bargains much cheaper.

I don't need telling twice. :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice one Ken..... :biggrin2:
What a dispiriting tale David.... I recognise the soulless aspect of your experience and yes, I realise that away from the humanity of Barlick Town Square that standard is becoming the norm. All part of the effort by large organisations who have been on the right management courses to distance themselves from their 'clients'. Ideally they would not have a physical contact point.......
You're right about Amanda and thanks for reminding me how lucky we are. I'm always greeted by name when I walk in...... that doesn't happen in larger towns..... :biggrin2:
I shall be in the shed for an hour and then, after second sleep, I shall be doing my veggie cooking.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

First task was to turn the cool slug down to 2" diameter. Then mark the PCD of the crank pin centre on the end of the stock. Next I reversed it and cut the other end down to 2". It was here that I got my surprise and set back. I decided it was time I had a different centre drill so I changed it for another. Not sure what happened but when I went to use it it broke off in the stock! I haven't had a centre break for years. I managed to pick enough out to enable the blunt point o0f my old live centre to get a hold and ignored the slight error, I cut that end down to 2". I can get away with the bad centre. You can see I ended up with two 2" diameter slugs ready for putting under the mill to cut out the main of the dead meat that has to come out to get my crank pin.
I should mention that, mindful of the disaster I had when cutting the shaft about 9 months ago, I went back and checked on the correct and safe way to proceed. Big sigh of relief, I am all right. Tomorrow will be a clean up on the lathe, a marking of the PCD on the other slug and preparations for going under the VM.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

It looks ok out there, calm but I think rain showers are forecast most of the day. It won’t bother us as I have a voice therapy appointment at North Manchester hospital at 10.30, we shall leave about 9.30. and being Friday its lunch out. Today its with Barbara and Bill as Wendy and Keith are in Majorca, a birthday trip away. Next week Barbara and Bill go to Australia for several weeks, staying with Bills brother and touring around, the thought of all those ours in a plane really put me off ever going there.

Thats it really. I still have a sore arm after my covid jab but the other has recovered from the flu jab. I have had a headache for a couple of days but put it down to wearing my old glasses. Although I can drive in them they are not as clear as my others and a bit blurry round the edges when watching TV. I had to take them off yesterday during art which was all close work. Anyway my others should be back from reglazing on Monday or Tuesday.

Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Having to use old glasses can be a bummer Sue, I know that from personal experience. I have enough old frames to hand them in if I am re-glazing so I can carry on wearing the old ones. Saves having the headaches!
Our forecast is much the same as yours but like you it doesn't affect me because i shall be veggie cooking once I have had second sleep. A full day.... I shall have my breakfast now and retire from what is at present a gloomy day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Veggies all cooked and hob tidied up. Only the sweet corn chips to make in a couple of days and the chicken to cook tomorrow, I've done enough for today!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We went down to Earby Surgery for our flu jabs this afternoon and asked about Covid jabs. You have to contact 119 or book via the NHS app and the nearest places to get it are pharmacies in Nelson and Skipton or at Airedale Hospital.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm going to enquire at Well Pharmacy about the Covid Jab. If it involves travel to Nelson or Skipton include me out and that's from someone who has had every vaccination on offer for almost 90 years!
Today I shall be in the shed for an hour and after breakfast I'll go to the surgery for the Annual Flu Jab. This has complicated my chicken cooking this morning as my normal schedule won't work, I would be out when it needed dealing with so I shall put it in the oven as I go out for the jab. That gives me four hours to get back so all should be well....
Come to think..... I'm not comfortable about going out and leaving the oven on so I shall get the chicken ready before I go out but turn the oven on when I have got back home!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Its a bit dark this morning, calm and clear but showers forecast this afternoon. The sky has a strange pink haze to it. Yesterday turned out to be a lovely day, none of the showers materialised and after our lunch we had a pleasant afternoon sat in the conservatory. Bob was negotiating a new phone deal and I was doing my Duolingo French, which I feel is coming on a treat.

Today is Bacup market, and I have no other plans for the day. I have a sewing job to do. Our friend Kath came round on Thursday afternoon to cut Bobs hair and have chat over a cuppa. She brought a skirt she had bought and had been trying to shorten but got in a mess so asked if I could possibly sort it out. She knows I don’t normally do this as we had a mutual friend who used to turn up with bags of clothes she had bought from charity shops. All old, a little dirty and definitely not just minor alterations. I never got a word of thanks so starting refusing. However I / we would do anything for Kath, so said skirt will be remedied.

Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue. I know the feeling after reading your tale about the bag lady wanting all her secondhand purchases altering because she knew you were capable. I used to get the same problem with the shed but like you, got good at saying no! That doesn't make you a bad person, just a sensible one! (The other downside of those jobs is that if you do agree to them, you have a smouldering resentment all the time you are busy on them because you know you are being put on.)

Still working on the scrap/stock. My first job was a clean up of the floor and Mrs Harrison. I was treading too many sharp chips into the house! Then, after measuring the slugs carefully for diameter I marked the second one I cut with the PCD of the crank pin. Next I put a centre in each of the slugs for the eccentric turning and also of course for orienting the stock under the mill for cutting out the meat and saving interminable eccentric turning. This meant that the next job was to mark the position o0f the cut on the slug and the first step was to get out my 9" Starrett dial caliper (Donated by Mick of the NE Mafia!) and get an accurate measurement of the length. Tomorrow I shall work out measurements for both slugs and cut them into the slug on the lathe. Busy busy bit cleaner now and a good step forwards.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

All has gone well! I have had my walk, had my flu jab, finished roasting my chicken and cooked two spicy burgers for dinner. Now I deserve a sit down as I eat the burgers.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”