MEDICAL MATTERS

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by PanBiker »

We were a bit rough for the odd day with the last one so we will wait until after Sally's birthday on the 7th. Don't know if you can book for two at the same time.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

We booked two slots, 11:00 and 11:05 at a chemist in Nelson. We will be asking if they can do the flu jab at the same time.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Barnoldswick Medical Centre say that 500 people came in for their 'flu jab on Saturday. I wonder how many others were eligible but didn't bother?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

There is another clinic next Saturday as well Kev.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I went to a local medical centre this afternoon for my Covid jab which I booked online yesterday. Left home at 2.00 and arrived at 2.15 for the 2.20 appointment, but was immediately taken in, given the jab and was home again by about 2.30! There was only one other person there for a jab although there were two sets of nurses.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No news yet of a service in Barlick.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The NHS booking service shows all venues in Pharmacies, i.e no availability at local surgeries. Nearest to Barlick are currently two in Nelson and one in Skipton. Probably best to keep checking there to see if the Barlick venues light up.

NHS - Covid Walk in Sites

As an aside, it is five years ago today that I got the call on my mobile to attend for a cancellation slot for surgery the following day at Leeds General Infirmary. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 04 Oct 2023, 10:40 As an aside, it is five years ago today that I got the call on my mobile to attend for a cancellation slot for surgery the following day at Leeds General Infirmary. :smile:
Where has that 5 years gone...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Big Kev wrote: 04 Oct 2023, 15:44 Where has that 5 years gone...
Into surviving. :extrawink:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

You seem to be making a good job of it :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes, on the whole it all turned out well. Let's hope Ken has the same experience and we can talk about it in five years!
(I keep thinking about the old bugger..... :biggrin2:)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Off to Burnley today for an Echo scan on my heart. This is part of the Blackburn team that uses the Burnley cardiology outpatients to make life easier for those who live a distance away from Blackburn. This scan is a check up is to see if everything is tickety-boo since they discharged me over a month ago. No immediate results until the cardiologist views them. I feel confident about the results so there's no worries there.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Good luck Ken, onwards and upwards. :smile:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Five years ago at this time I was already three hours in the neurosurgery waiting room, my place in surgery available but waiting for an acute care package, (bed and staff) to be available. I was feeling very hungry as I had not had anything to eat since lunchtime the day before. I met quite a few people who would become hospital ward and bay mates for the next three weeks. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Pfizer booster in the left arm, flu in the right. Sorted :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Covid done this morning.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

We were only booked for the Covid booster but were asked if we wanted the flu jab too.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

We are waiting until after Sally birthday to book the Covid jab. Already had the Flu jab at the surgery.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

From the Barnoldswick Medical Centre Facebook page

❌ CANCELLED CLINIC - PLEASE READ ❌

SATURDAY 7TH OCTOBER, FLU CLINIC- WALK INS ONLY!! - CANCELLED

Unfortunately, due to the overwhelming uptake of flu vaccines, our walk-in clinic for patients aged 65 and over has been cancelled.

We do have a limited number of pre-bookable appointments available on the 14th October. Please DO NOT contact reception to book these. Please comment below and we will contact you with more information.

If you have a prebooked appointment on Saturday 7th Oct, please still attend as planned

Thank you.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What a good job I shopped early for Xmas..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I don't normally comment about the local surgery as I have always had a very good relationship and service from them in the past but I contacted them today to book an appointment with my own doctor. Gave my DOB and name as required and was then told that Dr Manzur wasn't my doctor! New one on me, the receptionist said Dr Davie? was now my doctor. I know that Dr Mazur has not left the practice as Sally booked an appointment with him this morning. I asked why I had been allocated a new doctor without any notification and the receptionist said that she couldn't answer that!

I explained that it was an ongoing problem that DR Bhatti had prescribed me some medication for a few weeks ago without seeing me. That hasn't seemed to work so I thought it was time I saw someone to examine me, hence the request to see my own doctor who I have dealt with since he joined the practice probably 8 or 9 years ago now, maybe longer.

The receptionist said that she had a 12 o'clock appointment free for Mr Laith? A physicians associate who could see me and enter the consultation onto the system which would be picked up by the doctor, (whoever that may be). I accepted of course and went to see him, he had a look, agreed that the problem did not seem to be inflammation which is what the previous meds were for. He has prescribed me Co-Codomol and suggested I exercise to see if that makes a difference. I said I didn't want to end up on opiates for any length of time as that is only a temporary prop that will not reveal the actual problem.

Feels like kick the can to some degree. I will be emailing the Practice Manager for clarification and the reasons why I apparently have new doctor.

Dr Davie has appeared on the practice list but has no qualifications listed on the website?
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

PanBiker wrote: 13 Oct 2023, 13:34 I don't normally comment about the local surgery
Me too - but I find that of the five practice doctors daily attendance consists of
Mon 4
Tues 2
Wed 2
Thur 1
Fri 2

There are lots of ancilliaries, and there may be more to it than just attendance, but I'm not sure you're getting great value from your GP's. ?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Physicians' associates are not doctors.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Called at Colne Richmond Hill practice hoping to see the Doctor who has been giving me excellent service for the past 4 months. Not at work that day this didn't surprise me since it was a long shot emergency, for me anyway. So with any port in a storm I offered up my new problem to what was described as a trainee doctor. It turned out she was a newly qualified doctor doing some GP training. The problem was that her spoken English was none existent. I had to ask for every sentence to be repeated three time then made the best guess at what she was saying. Very embarrassing but fortunately her medical knowledge was spot on and did everything to the book. At the end I came away quite happy but in the knowledge that the reception desk had promised a face to face with my usual doctor after the test results had come through. I now have one more mystery problem added to the growing list of other mystery problems.

All this medical toing and froing means I can't concentrate on the OG activities like I would like to. :sad:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

plaques wrote: 13 Oct 2023, 18:37 I can't concentrate on the OG activities like I would like to.
:whatsup:

Understood. Do what you have to do - look after yourself. We'll have to manage. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”