ENERGY MATTERS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: ENERGY MATTERS

Post by Stanley »

David, if you're going to be a masochist I recommend you get yourself a Kyrghizian felt had or its equivalent. It can make a tremendous difference to your body temperature and might help prevent pneumonia!
Wendy, sorry Col fell into the trap of working on the boiler when it was needed. Tell him I am being unbearably smug! I hope you get warm soon...... :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The new boiler is installed and operational. Colin is tired but happy.

https://firebird.uk.com/product/boilers ... n-heatpac/
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 16 Oct 2023, 16:17 The new boiler is installed and operational. Colin is tired but happy.

https://firebird.uk.com/product/boilers ... n-heatpac/
Excellent :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good! And so your toes and fingers will be warm? I can think of few things more miserable than a cold house......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Just signed up for the fixed Octopus deal at £245 per month.Yes its expensive and its a big house but can anyone tell me which way the energy market is going when we have the rip off merchants in charge?
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Word on the street is they will be increasing in January, by how much really depends on Ukraine and the middle east I would imagine.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes it's expensive Ken if you contrast it with pre-Ukraine prices but who is to say what's expensive from here on in?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Heating is reflected in my daily gas usage, averaging £2 a day over the last week.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've taken my monitor off line and put it in the cupboard. My energy usage is going to be what it is regardless of what i know from minute to minute! Sufficient until the day is the evil thereof and I will know exactly what I owe at the end of the month. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 25 Oct 2023, 02:27 I've taken my monitor off line and put it in the cupboard.
That's where mine is, the E.ON app on my phone has a running daily count.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Here's my latest energy saver. Amazing how it can warm a body up!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I like to keep my ears warm :biggrin2:
IMG_20231026_125510~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very sensible. On the coldest days I admit to using a Damart Balaclava..... I call it my mother Russia Mode.

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

British Gas are sticking to the plan. I have the bill for November's dual fuel account; £115.42.
The breakdown informs me I used less gas (536.71kWh) than last year. (820.15kWh)
Not sure if this is because November was that much warmer or whether it's down to my new Baxi boiler being more efficient that the old one. If I was to guess I'd say a bit of both.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 03 Nov 2023, 04:35 British Gas are sticking to the plan. I have the bill for November's dual fuel account; £115.42.
The breakdown informs me I used less gas (536.71kWh) than last year. (820.15kWh)
Not sure if this is because November was that much warmer or whether it's down to my new Baxi boiler being more efficient that the old one. If I was to guess I'd say a bit of both.....
Did you mean October?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes Kev.... a senior moment. I have more and more of them these days.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

My neighbour has just bought himself an EV, a Hyundai Kona, similar size to my ix35 oil burner. Chatting today about public charging points and how expensive they are. It's 85p a kw at an Electravolt charger and it's a 64kw full charge, he'll get around 250 miles out of that.
By comparison, the Octopus EV tariff is 7.5p a kw, £4.80 for a charge. The public charger companies (there are quite a few) must be making a fortune.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Am I right in thinking that's £55 for a full charge? Not a lot of incentive there to spend a fortune going electric.....
Like the banks, some energy companies are laughing at us while they drag in obscene profits.
I can understand why some deniers reckoned that this is what climate change theory is all about.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 02:53 Am I right in thinking that's £55 for a full charge?
You are indeed.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Big Kev wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 18:26 My neighbour has just bought himself an EV, a Hyundai Kona, similar size to my ix35 oil burner. Chatting today about public charging points and how expensive they are. It's 85p a kw at an Electravolt charger and it's a 64kw full charge, he'll get around 250 miles out of that.
By comparison, the Octopus EV tariff is 7.5p a kw, £4.80 for a charge. The public charger companies (there are quite a few) must be making a fortune.
They probably aren't making a fortune given that many public charging companies have gone to the wall. Its incredibly expensive to install public charging infrastructure especially if its high power (the toytown 7kw chargers on Barlick town square are a lot cheaper but they take several hours to get any real range into an EV). The chargers are typically a hundred grand a pop and then theres a little matter of getting serious heavy duty cable and the grid capacity to feed the beast and that can get silly money. There are a good number of chargers installed around the country that haven't yet been wired up because of cost / logistics whatever. I believe there are some that have been physically there there for a couple of years and have never been wired up to work. Judging by the fact that often the chargers are there, wired but not working they are high maintenance and keeping them going once they are in is a costly undertaking. The cost of the electricity is peanuts in comparison to actually providing the service. I've said it before but being a cripple in a wheelchair means i have a lot of time to research this stuff. I probably come across as a know it all sometimes......
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Pluggy wrote: 10 Nov 2023, 14:25 I probably come across as a know it all sometimes......
For me - you do know it all - and I'm always pleased when you contribute. Always well worth reading. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Stanley wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 02:53 Am I right in thinking that's £55 for a full charge? Not a lot of incentive there to spend a fortune going electric.....
Like the banks, some energy companies are laughing at us while they drag in obscene profits.
I can understand why some deniers reckoned that this is what climate change theory is all about.
Its cheaper run a petrol car than charge them with public chargers, charging them at home is cost effective. The more I study this stuff the less sense net zero makes and outright climate change denial is looking as useful a view as anything. I am not a climate change denier, its very real and I believe is just a symptom of a far larger problem. We could avoid social and economic meltdown but there is no way its going to happen, you can forget democracy because no-one would vote for a party that would be prepared to enforce the absolutely draconian measures required to dodge the apocalypse. We will get to net zero but how many humans are alive to see it is entirely another issue. I'm hoping that the sh*t hits the fan (and it will) when I'm pushing up daisies.

Don't get me wrong, I love life and I'm grateful I got to experience it, but knowing how the human mind works and how many there are of us on a planet that is finite, were stuffed.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

A very reasonable assumption, I'm sticking with diesel for now. Got my eye on a ULEZ compliant oil burner for my next big purchase.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Pluggy, thanks for giving us the benefit of your research on chargers etc.

Like you, I'm pessimistic about our chances of holding back climate change. I've been watching and waiting for decades when there was still time to make a difference but now it's probably too late. Humans are too busy fighting each other to bother about the future. And when they're not fighting they're spending billions of dollars to try and send humans to the Moon and Mars rather than using the money to help those people struggling to even stay alive.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I too am glad every time I see a contribution from you Stephen.... And yes, I agree with you about net-zero and the way the public are being manipulated by the government and the energy companies. Oh, and throw the banks in as well, they saw which way the wind was blowing and in case you haven't noticed they are all showing healthy profits after the latest ridiculous price rise.
Please keep popping in when you feel inclined.....you can be sure you will be listened to and taken notice of. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”