TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

PostmanPete
Regular User

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by PostmanPete »

Stanley wrote: 20 Nov 2023, 12:03 I was sat on the bench having a pork pie I had a nice chat with Postman Pete.
That pie looked so tempting that I just had to go and buy one for myself....! I am enjoying it now :biggrin2:
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

That makes four of us then. You, me, Stanley and Delia Smith. . . .. . . :smile:

I keep interesting (to me) cuttings - and I remember this quote from Delia Smith in 2013. (time flies) :smile:

Delia will always be a fan of a healthy, home-cooked meal but she admitted to one vice, saying:

“A pork pie that’s really fresh is a gorgeous treat, and I can eat it like an apple as I drive along.”

I think I'm the only person left still using 'Treepad' software - they didn't survive the smartphone revolution - and I couldn't manage without it now.

PS - Mods - well off topic now - perhaps move to Owt Else? Sorry (again) :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Pete, as soon as you went off into Town Square I remembered I should have congratulated you for calling the Post Office response to the universal delivery challenge correctly. As you predicted, they just sat on their hands and paid the fine......
Yesterday it managed to stay almost dry all day. (It never got beyond feeling cold and damp.) At 20:00 it was trying to rain. First thing this morning it was cool, clear and dry with evidence of a shower during the night. The only change since then is that it seems to be overcast now. The glass has risen to 1018mb and rising still. The forecast is one word.... overcast. The wind will be a moderate northerly until late this afternoon when it falls light and westerly. This gives us a high of 8C and a low of 4C tonight with a wind chill of -2C this morning in the moderate northerly. The outlook is for two more milder days like today and then a fall into much cooler weather but clear and dry.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PostmanPete
Regular User

Post by PostmanPete »

Stanley wrote: 21 Nov 2023, 05:01 Pete, as soon as you went off into Town Square I remembered I should have congratulated you for calling the Post Office response to the universal delivery challenge correctly. As you predicted, they just sat on their hands and paid the fine......
:good: I think we were both more concerned about the pork pie at the time.... :biggrin2:
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:biggrin2: :good:
Yesterday stayed dry but was gloomy and overcast. At 20:00 it was still dry but overcast. We should however be grateful for the fact that it is reasonably mild. This morning we have a light breeze, it is cool, dry and overcast. The glass has risen to 1025mb. The forecast is once more one word, cloudy. The westerly winds will be brisk and gusting to near 40mph for much of the day giving us a high of 10C and a low of 10C tonight with up to -4C wind chill all day. The outlook is for another relatively mild day tomorrow but then we start to pay the price for this high pressure, it gets brighter with sunny spells but much colder, we can expect some frosts. We have done well so far but now November is going to remind us where we are in the year!
05:00. We are having a shower of rain that wasn't on the hymn sheet!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Later on.... it's still mizzling which wasn't in the forecast.... Staill better than what Margaret is having in Perth, they have 37C today and it will not drop below 25C tonight. I just told her I'd rather pay the gas bill and be comfortable!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday the unforecasted mizzle persisted for much of the day and was still with us at 20:00. First thing this morning it was wet and windy, since then the rain has ceased but we still have a gusty wind. The glass is down on 1019mb and the forecast is for the day to be overcast and rain returning this afternoon. The westerly wind is brisk and tends to WNW later, it will gust to 45mph during the day. It gives us a high of 11C and a low of 3C tonight with a wind chill during the day of as much as -4C. The outlook is for much colder weather, down to low single figures during the day and frosts at night. As I said yesterday, November is going to end on a much colder note!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was stormy and true to the forecast rain came in during the afternoon but by 20:00 it had ceased. This morning first thing it was breezy, cool and dry under a clear sky. It is still the same. The glass is steady on 1018mb. The forecast is for the cloud to increase but than fall away and by noon we shall have full sun and it will remain clear for the rest of the day. The constant NW wind will be moderate and the story of the day is the fall in temperature. The high will be 5C and the low tonight will be 1C with a -4C wind chill this afternoon. The perceived temperature after wind chill will be at freezing point or below all day. This or colder is the story for the foreseeable future, we must wave goodbye to the unseasonably mild weather we have been having and reconcile ourselves to some proper November weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday followed the forecast and was the first really cold day of November. At 19:00 (I was in bed early!) it was calm, cold and clear. It was the same first thing this morning and hasn't changed since. The glass is up on 1020mb and the forecast is for a clear, sunny dry day with possible overcast coming in from 14:00 onwards. The constant WNW wind is very light but cold giving us a high of 4C and a low of 1C tonight with a -2C wind chill. This means that apart from the middle of the day under the full sun we shall feel as though we have a frost. The outlook is for similar weather all week. It would appear that winter has arrived!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 25 Nov 2023, 04:29 The outlook is for similar weather all week. It would appear that winter has arrived!
Goodness me, stop wishing your time away we are only half way through Autumn. Nothing unusual about a sharp frost at this time of the year, but it's not Winter. :nooo:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian, I'm a simple minded soul. If it's cold enough to bring the cattle inby it's winter..... :biggrin2:
Yesterday stayed dry even though the forecast was correct and by 20:00 it was overcast..... First thing this morning it was calm dry and overcast and it hasn't changed since. The glass is down on 1015mb and the forecast is for an overcast day with the possibility of light rain by late evening. The ESE wind is very light and gives us a high of 4C and a low of 3C tonight with a -2C wind chill this afternoon. The 6 day outlook is for a similar day tomorrow and then colder and dry for the rest of the week.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

IMG_1039.png
We are having lovely weather, can’t complain 😀.
UV Index is 6 (High). Humidity 58%
Full Moon 🌕 tomorrow night.
Stay warm and dry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had mail from Grand daughter Holly this morning Cathy, she's in her third semester of her pregnancy and says she is just about surviving their 40C weather! She'd be glad of some of yours.... We are into cold weather now even though Ian tells me it isn't winter..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon stayed dry but remained cold. I was happy to cower indoors and keep warm! At 20:00 it was calm cold and overcast. This morning first thing it was still calm but we had hard, heavy cold rain and it hasn't changed since. The glass has fallen to 998mb and is still falling. The forecast is for the rain to be continuous until midday and then improve to heavy overcast for the rest of the day. The wind will be very light at first and settle to a moderate NNW flow later giving us a high of 5C and a low tonight of 0C with a wind chill of -3C this afternoon when the wind gets up slightly. The maximum perceived temperature all day will be 2C so wrap up warm if you have to be out in it. The outlook for the next week is for drier but colder weather.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon was, as promised in the forecast, dry but very cold, that wind chill was certainly present. (I stayed indoors....) At 20:00 it was overcast and cold. First thing this morning the Eastern sky was clear and had the last full moon before Xmas, the western half was overcast by thin high cloud. It's still clear but the moon has moved on.... The glass is up on 1007mb and the forecast is for a clear sunny day. The WNW wind is light and we will have a high of 4C and a low tonight of 4C with a -2C wind chill this afternoon. The outlook as we move into December is for it to be colder but bright and dry with quite a lot of sun.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We had a surprise Thunderstorm last night, it was a big one. Very windy, and very wet with 30ml’s of rain falling.
Some big clean-ups happening across the suburbs today.
17C today.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Contrast and compare Cathy with 4C here today and talk of snow on high ground before long..... Deep Joy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Went out to cover my car (saves a lot of scraping at 6am) at 5 o'clock and it was already frozen. Not looking forward to the journey into the office tomorrow. Met Office predicting -4 🥶
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon stayed dry and cold and at 20:00 we had a clear sky. This morning it's still clear and we have a hard frost, -5C. The glass is down a bit on 1003mb and the forecast is for a cold clear day with plenty of sun. The constant WNW wind is light and gives us a high of 1C and a low tonight of -4C with a wind chill of -2C for most of the day. The perceived temperature will be -5C except in direct sunshine so wrap up warm! November is in winter mode as it ends and December starts in two days.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon stayed dry and cold and at 20:00 it was calm and clear, a hard frost all night and at some point a light fall of snow. This morning it is calm, clear and we have a hard frost and a light covering of snow. The glass has fallen slightly to 1001mb and the forecast is that it will cloud over briefly but then clear to sunny spells during the morning. The constant NE wind will be light and gives us a high of 1C and a low tonight of -4C with a -4C wind chill this afternoon when the wind is strongest. The outlook is for similar weather. December is coming in with wintry weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Beautiful, bright, frosty morning, no snow, not even a light dusting.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We have just enough snow for a covering Gloria and it's a bit treacherous underfoot. I have got my fell boots out and oiled them. They have a much better sole for weather like this. I'm going out again to Town Square to get the veggies that weren't in the Co-op this morning. Leeks, sprouts and cauliflower. I shall have a hot drink first.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday stayed dry and cold and at 20:00 we were entering another hard frosty night under a clear sky. First thing this morning it was clear and very cold and it hasn't changed since. The glass has risen slightly and is on 1005mb. The forecast is for a clear sunny and frosty day. At the moment we are enjoying -5C. The constant northerly wind is very light and variable and gives us a high of 2C and a low of -5C tonight with a -2C wind chill for most of the day. The outlook is for it to be even colder tomorrow and there is no sign of any significant change in this weather in the next week.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was more of the same, dry bright and very cold. This morning it is the same, calm, clear and very cold, probably about -6C or even lower. The glass is up again on 1010mb and this high pressure explains why this weather is so steady. The forecast is for the sky to cloud over from mid-morning onwards but with no respite in the cold, it will be frosty and dry all day. The southerly winds are very light and give us a high of 1C and a l,ow of -2C tonight with a wind chill of up to -3C depending on the wind strength. Basically it feels like below freezing all day so wrap up warm if you have to go out. The outlook is for it to remain like this until later next week when it could start to warm a bit if we are lucky!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon stuck to the forecast and we had a hard dry frost. At 20:00 it was clear and cold and during the night we had another light fall of snow. It was snowing at 03:00 this morning but has stopped now,still freezing of course. The glass has fallen to 1007mb and the forecast is for fog to change to cloud by lunchtime. No more snow forecast though. The constant light easterly winds give us a high of 2C and a low of -2C tonight with an occasional -3C wind chill when the wind is at its strongest this afternoon. The outlook is for slightly warmer weather but dry.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”