Fokker Triplane DR.1.152/17

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Fokker Triplane DR.1.152/17

Post by PanBiker »

Started construction of one of my Christmas presents yesterday. Not the real thing of course but a wooden model of the same. Came as a flat pack of three sheets of micro-plywood, laser cut with 145 punch out pieces. It's 210x178x122mm when fully complete. No glue is required as all the pieces effectively have precision fit mortice and tenon joints, half laps and wooden retainers for items mounted on shafts such as propellers and the like. The construction is probably not unlike the real thing in the fuselage and wings although the superstructure will remain open and not covered in canvas and dope as in the real machine. The kit came with detailed assembly instructions and a small piece of fine sandpaper for removing any burrs from the pieces when removed from the sheets. Each sheet is annotated with reference numbers for each part.

Here it is out of the box.

This one is after a couple of hours of construction yesterday afternoon.

Fuselage is done, tailplane and rudder, cockpit, engine bay, complete with a seven cylinder rotary engine, prop shaft and two blade propeller. It has two upper engine cowl mounted machine guns. I have fitted the lower wing, you can see the construction which probably replicates the original. I have to fit the wing risers for the centre and upper wings which still need completing.

Another couple of hours should see it complete but not today as I am otherwise engaged.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Fokker Triplane DR.1.152/17

Post by Stanley »

Looks good Ian. Isn't it wonderful they can cut wood that accurately!
Do you have to paint it?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

No Stanley it will remain au naturale.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Looks good. My fingers are too fat to take on something like that :laugh5:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Might be a good idea to spray it with clear lacquer then to help stop dust sticking to it....
Kev, nonsense. You just use tweezers..... That's the only way I can handle some of the small components I have to deal with.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Construction Hobbies”