HOUSEHOLD TIPS NOT FOUND IN WOMAN'S WEEKLY

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: HOUSEHOLD TIPS NOT FOUND IN WOMAN'S WEEKLY

Post by Big Kev »

If you order shaving kit direct from Wilkinson Sword's website this tip worked for me. Register yourself on www.wilkinsonsword.com and add what you'd like to buy to the 'shopping basket'. Close your browser, don't log out.
24 hours later you should get an email to the address you registered with and save yourself 15% :good:
Screenshot_20221023-210421_Gmail.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

You have about 6 days to whack £250 onto a sainsburys christmas club card to get an extra £25 on it. ( £250 by 23.59 1st Nov ) Asda give £15 I think on £250 on their similar one. The Sainsburys one can be used online (with a faff) and in Argos section too. Cards can be registered which should protect you against loss. The risk of such cards is that the retailer can go broke before you have time to spend the balance ( though I doubt Sainsburys and Asda would fail , at least not before Christmas
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think that qualifies as a Cunning Wheeze Kev....... :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 02:21 I think that qualifies as a Cunning Wheeze Kev....... :biggrin2:
It's worked for me on Amazon too a while ago. I put a CCTV kit in the basket and left it for a couple of days. Got nearly £40 off if I bought it within a few hours.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:biggrin2: :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Who knew! I certainly wouldn't unless I had seen the Youtube video that revealed all. It's a toilet related matter and is reference "soft close" toilet seats. The same sort fitted to our relatively new toilet when we had our bathroom replaced last year.

A normal toilet usually has two holes at the back of the pedestal for mounting the toilet seat and cover which invariably come as one hinged unit with nuts, (possibly nylon) and bolts to fix the assembly.

The soft close variety is different in that there are no holes and therefore no nuts and bolts for the seat and cover. The pedestal does have two chrome mounting posts though which are integral to the design. The soft close assembly mounts directly on these with a click and engage mechanism. In the centre of the hinge there is a disguised button which you can only see when the lid and seat are both in the open position. The Youtube video revealed that if you press this button on the hinge, the entire assembly lifts off! Fantastic for cleaning and something that I never knew. :smile:

Another feature that is so simple and that I wish I had thought of. :extrawink:

The video goes on to show them shoving the assembly into a dishwasher, which I think is a little step too far. :nooo:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I just close mine carefully.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No matter how bright and sunny it is out there, if it's -5C and the pavements are shot ice stay indoors and forget about rational exercise. One slip and you could be in hospital....
(I broke this rule yesterday and was lucky to get away with it.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Today's tip; don't use extra strong wallpaper paste to stick expanded polystyrene insulation to the wall despite what is says on the label. It's stuck back on now with PVA adhesive.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today's tip is written immediately after a visit from my plumber Jonathan Greenbank to deliver the account. I paid him immediately. The charge for supplying and installing the latest Baxi boiler, checking and recharging all the radiators plus corrosion inhibitor, Blanking a waste pipe and cutting off a redundant tap in the bathroom and fitting a new mixer tap on the kitchen sink was £2,065 which I think was dirt cheap.
The old boiler which had served for 18 years with no repairs needed looked brand new and could possibly have done a lot longer but I wasn't greedy and it is gone. The reasons why I wanted it done were a) To have the most efficient boiler possible for the smallest bills. b) because no matter what they say I believe it will gradually get harder and more expensive to get a new boiler and wanted it done whilst it was easy.
So, to get back to the tip..... Call Jonathan on 07792 710892 but leave it for a couple of weeks because he's going on holiday. He's based on Colne Road, Barnoldswick and I promise you he is superb. (His man Les Stewart isn't bad either.... :biggrin2: )
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I got an order of powder-free vinyl gloves for when I am in the shed and they were on the small side. Instead of complaining I got some talcum powder and if I dust my hands with this I can get the gloves on much easier.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

A timely reminder - make sure your stock of vinegars does not run down. It has an almost eternal shelf life, and doesn't take up much room. They say you can get smear free windows using the White variety, but I haven't tested it yet. The balsamic (of course) is the Aldi cheap variety, but quite pleasant in your pork adobo. :smile:
Vinegar.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tripps wrote: 12 Apr 2024, 11:04 A timely reminder - make sure your stock of vinegars does not run down. It has an almost eternal shelf life, and doesn't take up much room. They say you can get smear free windows using the White variety, but I haven't tested it yet. The balsamic (of course) is the Aldi cheap variety, but quite pleasant in your pork adobo. :smile:
I was pleased with Aldi's balsamic vinegar, it works very well with first press rapeseed oil for dunking warm bread in :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My stock was running down and I found the Co-op had ceased to stock their own brown malt vinegar in bottles. I ordered 5 Litres of Sarsons brown vinegar on line but the delivery a couple of days ago was 6 X 500ml sprit vinegar and someone else's name. I refused to accept delivery and am waiting to see what transpires.
I think we will be seeing a lot of shortages and higher food prices as we go into Autumn, the NFU report many thousands of acres haven't been planted.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

One of my undergraduate pals got a job as chief chemist at a vinegar factory in London. He gave me a tour around it which was fascinating but was a challenge for my nose. He was used to the fumes by then. :smile:
This is an interesting read...
Vinegar
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There was another attempt to deliver the white vinegar yesterday. The courier was very polite and understood the problem but unfortunately in the system he has to use there is no provision for a delivery refused because it is the wrong item. He is going to do his best. He was very polite and understanding....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Nostalgia”