OLD AGE

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

OLD AGE

Post by Stanley »

OLD AGE

I went to Billy's funeral last Friday at Bracewell and it was a lovely simple family service. (Billy Parsons) I'm glad I went but funerals have the side effect that they make you think about your own mortality, especially when you are getting on a bit and can see the buffers in the distance!
A friend of mine once told me that the body never lies and I think she was right. I've always taken notice of what mine is telling me and of late it has been on my mind a lot because one of the old war wounds in my back is making life miserable. I always tell my kids that they should never forget that I am still paying for all the hard work I did to support them when they were young. When you are young and strong you used to glory in the fact that you could work harder and longer than some, or at least I did. What I know now is that the ability to lift a 300lbs weight (140 kilogram) sack off the ground, throw it on your shoulder and climb a flight of stairs with it might be great at the time but it wears your back out and I soon found that out!
Things are different these days, it is illegal to expect workers to lift weights anywhere near the ones I handled regularly. One place it shows is in the lack of adverts and products specifically aimed at back pain like Kruschen's Salts, Eno's salts, Carter's Little Liver Pills and a host of others. Magazines used to be full of them. I often criticise modern Heath and Safety regulations but this is an exception, I thoroughly approve!
One thing about getting older is that you learn where your weak points are and work out strategies to avoid getting into trouble. The problem is that occasionally you slip up. (I know that a lot of the older end read these articles and I can see all those heads nodding!) When you do make a mistake you pay for it and getting back to the mortality bit, the older you get, the longer it takes to shake the pain off. I slipped up about ten days ago and what has struck me is that either I did more damage than usual or perhaps I am slower to heal than I used to be. Not a cheerful prospect!
Sorry to be so down-beat but if you are young and dealing with a relation who is older always bear in mind that if they get a bit depressed at times it may be something like my old war wounds rearing its ugly head. It may well be that like me they are paying the price for what they did to bring children into the world and rear them. These things aren't always obvious and they may not be as direct as me and tell you what is wrong and what caused it. A Forgotten Corner....

Grandpa figured in these adverts and the slogan was 'Every Picture Tells a Story'.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Bodger

Re: OLD AGE

Post by Bodger »

When i was 12 /13 yrs before i went to school i used to clean out 20 / 30 pigs and feed 200 chicken in hen houses 200 yrds down the field , today at 79 yrs i strain to lift 40 kg bags into the coal bunker ?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tell me about it he said holding himself erect to avert back pain........
My coal is in 20kg bags and they are about my sensible limit....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Yesterday I saw two builders struggling to lift and carry a plate vibrater and put it in a van. When I was in my late 20's I could pick one up and carry it quite a distance with no help. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Bodger

Post by Bodger »

Another good lift was an Oxy Acetlyne bottle carried on your shoulder
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I reckon 3M lengths of Kitchen worktop are what have done for my shoulder. In and out of folks houses and up and down stairs to our upstairs workshops were the norm for me with CRT based TV's when in my 20's and 30's. The big un's were a couple of hundredweight and about as wide as you could stretch to get a good hold. Never dropped one but got a few trapped fingers and skinned knuckles.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

About 10 years ago I went through a period of bouts of excruciating sacro-iliac back pain. I still remember one holiday in Cornwall after a bout and Mrs Tiz having to drive all the way and chauffeur me about. (Also walking to Tintagel castle using a walking stick and looking forward to the lift back in the National Trust Land-Rover for £1 a go - then finding it was full of fat Americans!). I eventually learnt to accept that I can't do everything that I used to be capable of and now I seem to avoid the bouts, thank goodness! But perhaps we all have to go through that learning curve.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think it's called Old Age!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Problem is we are all a lot younger in our heads. :grin:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Exactly Ian. A delivery driver at the chemists told me he lifted 200kg at the gym. I told him to remember our conversation in fifty years. He thought I was a silly old codger of course.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped and image restored.
Six years later I can give you an update.... You get better at safeguarding as you get older and some old war wounds heal up. My old doc Arthur Morrison always said God would heal my back if I lasted long enough. That applies to a lot of other old aches and pains as well. At 86 I can truthfully say I have less pain than at any time since I was a lad. So there's something to look forward to!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Since no longer having horses and all the lifting, bending etc that comes along with those, my back has been 100% better.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good Gloria. People who don't have to do it say hard work never hurt anyone. Nonsense of course. We always said that even if that were true it made a lot of people a funny shape!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'v e always said that one of the advantages of old age is that if you bought good quality you can stop buying clothes.

I'm in the middle of my 87th year and have found out that as you age (and your waistline expands) there are exceptions. I had to buy a new winter coat not long ago and the kids made me ditch my old waterproof and get a very expensive new one, a Schoffel. (A snip at £100 as it was on sale.....)
My trousers are wearing out and so I have bought another two pairs of Joseph Turner washable cotton corduroys which were on sale at a reduced price because the colour isn't popular....
I think it's OK and in case you're wondering when they have their first wash they will shrink slightly and I can stop turning the bottoms up. That's what happened to my first Turner cords.

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped again. The Turner cords did shrink to fit with 40 degree washes and I am still relatively free from back pain. The one that's taken over is pain in my right leg that hampers walking. However, I am in my 89th year so I can't expect to get off scot free!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”