TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon had some light showers but less wind. By 20:00 it was almost calm and dry. This morning it's breezy and dry. The glass is down slightly on 1018mb and the forecast is for an overcast morning but dry, after noon we can expect sunny intervals but interspersed with showers, described by the Met Office as 'heavy'. The mainly SW wind will be moderate and gusts to 40mph this afternoon. The high will be 12C and the low 5C tonight. The wind chill will get to -4C this afternoon in the strongest winds. The outlook is for similar weather but slightly cooler.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

IMG_0107.png
A few leaves have started to fall, still plenty of flowers about. Lights are going on earlier and doors and windows are closed earlier.
I’m enjoying this cooler weather. 😊
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You sink into Autumn Cathy as we slowly warm up to summer.
The showers that were forecast for yesterday afternoon did happen but were very light and by 20:00 we had a light breeze a clearing sky and it was dry. First thing this morning was the same but noticeably cooler and it hasn't changed since. The glass is down again slightly on just under 1017mb and the forecast is for sunny intervals with light showers around the middle of the day. We still have the WSW wind and can expect gusts over 30mph. This give us a high of 9C and a low of 4C tonight with a wind chill of as much as -5C this morning. The outlook is for an even cooler wet day tomorrow and then the temperatures will start to rise slowly but don't expect a heat wave!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday the light showers persisted all afternoon but by 20:00 had fallen away and it was breezy and dry. This morning first thing it was wet and windy and that hasn't really changed much, just that the rain isn't as heavy now. The glass has fallen to 997mb and the forecast is simple, wet and windy all day. The westerly winds are going to be brisk all day and will gust to almost 50mph. We shall have a high of 6C and a low of 4C with a wind chill of -6C for much of the day making it feel like well below freezing. In other words, a nasty day! The outlook is for much warmer and drier weather.
The latest forecasts are talking about 'wintry showers'/ on the Pennines.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've just been out in the back yard. They weren't kidding when they forecast -6C wind chill. That wind is bitter!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Very windy here, some really heavy black clouds have blown over but not dropped anything on us. Not too cold, could be a lot colder.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Spoke too soon, we have just had a shower of sleet.
Gloria
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon was even worse then the morning. At one point at about 15:30 I went outside to check if rgat really was sleet and was almost blown over by the violence of the gusts of wind. By 20:00 the wind had eased a bit but was still gusting and we had an almost clear sky, with ragged scattered cloud. It stayed clear and dry during the night and this morning first thing it was dry, less windy and not quite as cold. It hasn't changed since. The glass has risen to 1005mb and is still rising. The forecast is for sunny intervals with light showers after midday. The mainly Northerly winds will be moderate and allow us a high of 10C with a low of 1C tonight. The wind chill will be -3C for most of the day. It will feel warmer than yesterday. The outlook is for similar dry weather with gradually rising temperatures later during the week.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Yesterday was nothing short of horrific, it threw everything at us, we even had thunder and lightning. Today the wind has gone, the sun is out and not many clouds in the sky. The washing will be out soon.
Gloria
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

It’s mid Autumn for us and it’s been 22C here today, I spent a good couple of hours this morning in the garden, potting up new plants.
Lovely, will do some more tomorrow. 😊 Sending you some 🌞.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's a better day for us Cathy, Bright and sunny at times but still cold!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon the isolated showers that were forecast decreased to occasional spatters of raindrops later in the afternoon. By 20:00 we had a clearing sky and a lighter wind. First thing this morning it was clear an cold with a light breeze. The glass is up on 1012mb and the forecast is again for a day of sunny intervals with perhaps light showers this afternoon. The mainly NW winds are light to moderate and our high will be 9C and a low of 0C tonight. The wind chill is -4C and the result is it will feel like below freezing until 10:00. We can expect a cooler day tomorrow but then the temperature starts to rise slowly for the rest of the week.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Back up after a good second sleep. It's bright and sunny out there but we have a -4C wind chill and it's warmer in here! :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon stayed dry and bright and at 20:00 the wind was easing slightly and we had a clear sky.
This morning started with the same light breeze and clear sky but we now have scattered cloud. The glass is up on 1019mb and rising. The forecast is for a bright overcast dry day until we get rain after 15:00 this afternoon. The constant SW winds start light and rise all day until they are brisk this afternoon with gusts up to 35mph. We will have a high of 8C and a low of 6C tonight. There will be a wind chill of up to -5C this afternoon when the wind rises. The outlook is for similar weather but getting milder and drier. It may be my imagination but it seems to me that the difference in temperatures between us and the SE is greater in this windier weather.
Later, when daylight came I saw that we have a white frost.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday the forecast was accurate, it started raining Mid-afternoon and was still raining lightly when I went to bed at 20:00. This morning first thing it was windy but dry under a clear sky. Damp flags were evidence of rain during the night. It's still windy and dry but I think with more cloud. The glass is down on 1011mb and the forecast is for a day of sunshine and showers. The NW wind is moderate and gusts to 30mph for most of the day. This gives us a high of 10C and a low of 0C tonight. The wind chill is -4C or thereabouts all day. The outlook is for similar temperatures but perhaps less rain.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon we had a couple of light showers but by 20:00 it was calm and dry under a clearing sky. This morning first thing it was calm clear and I suspect frosty but I couldn't see. It's still calm cold and dry. The glass has risen to 1024mb and is still rising. The forecast is for a bright day with some sunshine and it will stay dry. The constant northerly winds are very light and we will have a high of 10C and a low of 4C tonight. There will be a -2C wind chill all day. The outlook is settled with very similar weather to today for the next six days.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon stayed dry and at 20:00 we had a light breeze, and almost clear sky and it was milder than of late. This morning first thing it was calm and overcast but dry. It hasn't changed. The glass is up on 1027mb and the forecast is for an overcast but dry day. The constant NE wind will be light and gives us a high of 8C and a low of 5C tonight with at most a -2C wind chill. The outlook is very settled and is for similar weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

IMG_0125.png
It’s lovely to wake up during the night and hear light rain falling.
I’ve been potting up new flowers and bulbs this week, with ‘Hit’s’ of the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s playing in the background.
Wish it could stay like this forever. 😊
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Cathy. Yes, rain is much more welcome with you than it is here. We have had far too much this winter and many crops haven't been planted, we will suffer for it later in the year.....
I hope you have a nice day and just as much rain as you need and not too much. (I see Sydney got too much.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon remained overcast but dry and it was still the same at 20:00 when I went to bed. First thing this morning it was calm and overcast but dry. Since then it has started raining. The glass is steady on 1027mbv and the forecast is for rain until early afternoon when it will dry up but remain overcast. The mainly NE wind will be very light and we will have a high of 8C and a low of 2C tonight with at most a -1C wind chill. The outlook remains the same, very similar weather but with less rain.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon's overcast was marred by the occasional spatter of rain but by 20:00 the cloud was breaking and it wasn't raining. First thing this morning it was calm, partially overcast but dry. The glass has fallen slightly to 1023mb and the forecast is for a brighter day and dry but overall, overcast. The constant NNE wind is light to moderate and allows us a high of 10C with a low of 1C tonight with a wind chill of -2C for most of the day. The outlook remains very settled, overcast and dry with a similar temperature to today.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Our trees are turning, we have fallen leaves everywhere.
Love hearing and watching them fall. Our winds are 23 - 44 km/h today.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Cathy! And I was only thinking yesterday how nice it is to see the fresh new shoots on our trees..... Just coming into leaf ready for the summer. :laugh5:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

We have lots of green leaves, all appeared in the last fortnight.
Weather was fine yesterday morning, we had a walk, then it rained 🫣. Today is supposed to stay dry all day 🤞
Gloria
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday we had odd spatters of rain in the afternoon but by 20:00 it had settled down into dry overcast for the night. First thing this morning it was calm and clear with scattered cloud and full moon. It hasn't changed since. The glass is back a bit on 1018mb and falling. The forecast is for a sunny start and then bright overcast from mid-morning onwards. The day will be dry. The Northerly winds will be light and give us a high of 10C today and a low of 3C tonight with a maximum -3C wind chill. The outlook remains settled and similar but on Sunday it could start to get milder and wetter.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”