Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

Back up after second sleep. Shoes polished and I'm ready to meet Muthomi and the kids in the Square for fish and chips at Noon. It's all go! :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning Sue.... As usual nothing is clear and everyone is promoting their side of the story. All I am sure of is that it's a bad weekend for the Tories! ….

Not sure what to make of this but the local councillor for our ward has stayed Tory. The local men of other parties who live here did not do well. We are not a ´posh’ end of Rochdale, middle of the road plus terraced streets and old social housing. We feel forgotten by the local council with many outstanding problems . Certainly no one had been canvassing before we came away, apart from Galloways mob who leafletted and were parking up for some active canvassing as we drove off on Sunday. So why stay Tory unless it was a reaction against Galloway and his cronies . ….
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That sounds like a possibility Sue. Then there is often the local factor coming into play, that doesn't count in a general election....
I had my fish and chips with Lily and Kahara..... They are beautiful kids. I am very lucky.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed at 06:00 doing very delicate things to my wobbler castings...... Apart from that not a lot on the cards, certainly nothing in my social calendar so perhaps just a recovery day after my time with the kids...... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Yesterday was showery but we mainly stayed dry doing our shopping and apart from the market today we won’t need to shop again this visit. Laetitia pointed us in the direction of a local cheap shop, cheaper than Lidl which turns out to be the local co operative. They sell large packs of everything at a fraction of the price of even Lidl. We did not visit this time as we did not need so much food but its definitely on the cards for next time. On the way home we stopped off in La Gacilly to book Sunday lunch at very nice restaurant, for our anniversary meal

In the afternoon we decorated. I glossed door frames, dado rail and the side of one of the 4 doors . I also applied the coat of treatment to the remaining walls. Bob was busy sanding down filler and changing an electric socket, plus all the bits I cannot reach. So many small jobs to do

This morning we are off to the market on the lookout for some veggie plants. Its pouring with rain so it will be a quick visit. It promises to rain till late afternoon, but thats not a problem as there is plenty to keep us occupied decorating the kitchen. If we carry on like this we should finish this visit, apart from glossing all the doors

Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue. That Co-op was a good find! You sound to have been busy as usual and seeing some progress. At least you haven't got any lodgers looking for accommodation in the loft!

I remembered this morning why I swore not to make any more wobblers! Drilling 5/64" holes 11/16" deep on 17/64" centres is a bit dodgy when you're partially blind! But, no point complaining, I just got on with it and accepted that I wasn't going to get it all dead accurate. I spent an hour and a quarter on this and have more to do tomorrow. I reckon I have earned my breakfast. (Funnily enough, the ones I reckoned I'd have the most difficulty with were OK.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I’ve tried 3 times to post on this topic, yes I’m logged in, but it doesn’t go thru 🤔
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Cathy wrote: 04 May 2024, 10:15 I’ve tried 3 times to post on this topic, yes I’m logged in, but it doesn’t go thru 🤔
It has now Cathy!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Haha Yes. Sorry I’m a bit frustrated - I’ve had an awful day. This morning I was doing a load of washing, when I heard a gurgling noise. I went to investigate and found that my laundry (tiled) and hallway (carpeted) was flooded with water. Oh no! Messaged my Landlady in a mad panic with a pic, she messaged back saying she was ‘Out of Town’. Eventually we messaged backwards and forwards while she told me to do this, do that.
Lots of gurgling and bubbling up happening from the laundry floor drain. What a mess 😫. She said ‘her plumber’ wasn’t available. Hello, There are other plumbers! Water was flowing from the building foundations!
Much later and after a clean up, the hallway carpet is still sodden and I have restricted water usage while I wait.
Sounds like an underground pipe has burst 😫 What a day .

I did this by repeatedly saving as a draft, then posting.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Oh no Cathy, that sounds terrible!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Cathy wrote: 04 May 2024, 10:43 Haha Yes. Sorry I’m a bit frustrated - I’ve had an awful day. This morning I was doing a load of washing, when I heard a gurgling noise. I went to investigate and found that my laundry (tiled) and hallway (carpeted) was flooded with water. Oh no! Messaged my Landlady in a mad panic with a pic, she messaged back saying she was ‘Out of Town’. Eventually we messaged backwards and forwards while she told me to do this, do that.
Lots of gurgling and bubbling up happening from the laundry floor drain. What a mess 😫. She said ‘her plumber’ wasn’t available. Hello, There are other plumbers! Water was flowing from the building foundations!
Much later and after a clean up, the hallway carpet is still sodden and I have restricted water usage while I wait.
Sounds like an underground pipe has burst 😫 What a day .

I did this by repeatedly saving as a draft, then posting.
That sounds awful. Hope you get sorted. We had a big leak once that came from the water tank in the loft. It was new ceilings, carpets flooring and took. Weeks to dry out. I hope yours is faster
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Oh no Cathy that's bad. I hope you get sorted soon. You are into Autumn now aren't you so stuff will take longer to dry out.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

A flooded house is not nice, you have my sympathy Cathy.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I’m hoping it could turn out to be a blocked drain. The Landlady said possible burst pipe because it has happened here before , but that was outside. This place is 30 years, I’ve been here a good 16 years , it’s about time a Plumber checked the pipes. Hopefully one will contact me tomorrow.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Cathy. So sorry to hear about your problems with flooding in the house. You have had a terrible day! I hope you get some help and an improvement very soon!
Thankfully everything looks normal here (touch wood!). I shall be in the shed for an hour as usual and then I think it will be a very quiet day with a walk at Midday under an overcast but dry sky.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I was up and out early listening to the dawn chorus. :smile: It's a misty, dull morning but the birds were singing away beautifully and there were a few surprises hidden amongst the usual suspects. The Merlin bird song app on my phone was a great help but unfortunately I had forgotten to charge the phone up overnight and it started with a low battery, otherwise I would still be out there. I could get hooked!
Goldfinches, blackbirds, wrens, robins and chaffinches were all around me in the bushes. I was thrilled to hear the cuckoo in the woods on Kelbrook Moor, curlews and lapwings too. The app picked up a siskin, a linnet and a tree pipit which I wouldn't have known about, but I don't think it's 100% accurate.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Yes Wendy I love the app too. Amazingly I get similar birds here to those in Rochdale with the exception of a cuckoo which annually lives down in our field / orchard here. I occasionally see it.

Yesterday was a cool wet day today is a dry morning then very heavy rain. This is going to continue till Tuesday so good decorating weather. However I must brave the rain at some time and plant my veggies plants , plus two lovely lupins that Laetitia and Yves brought round yesterday. We even have a log fire every night as the weather is much more like February than May. The end of this week brings a change with sun and 24 degrees but we will be back home though only for three weeks.

I have now gloss painted both sides on one door, only 3 more doors to go, and I am three quarters of the way round with the yellow emulsion. Its our own mix, as we did not like the colour we had bought. We are going to have to do the same with the blue which is far too dark. Our colours are restricted by what is already here eg tiles and the kitchen units but we are pleased with it. Everything is beginning to look fresh and clean.

So today I will take the opportunity of a dry spell to plant my plants then its lunch out. Afterwards I intend finishing the yellow and glossing one side of a door. Bob takes the doors off and lies them across two supports for me to paint them, much easier than in situ. Bob will do the top blue colour later, I can’t reach the higher parts and don’t like the high ladder

Have a good day all

A bit of before and after here
IMG_1688.jpeg
IMG_1691.jpeg
IMG_1692.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue! I was considering lighting the stove last night but eventually thought better of it.
I agree, you are looking very fresh and bright.... God knows I could do with some of that!
We are going to have another boring overcast day here, I hope you can get a surprise and do better!

I spent this morning finishing the work on the second engine that prepares it for the steam inlet pipe. Then making two steam pipes and fitting them and finally plugging the steam gallery that is fed by the pipe. (The other gallery is the exhaust passage.) I am ready now to start on the cylinder, con rod and crankshaft and flywheel. Time for breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Susan reminded me that Grand daughter Holly and new Great Grand daughter Evie are here at the beginning of June for grand daughter Yiota's wedding in Bath so I have to finish at least one engine this month. So I'd better get cracking!
This morning I have been for my short walk and a sit on traffic duty despite the fact that whilst it can't be said to be raining it is spotting light rain all the time. Very peculiar!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed as usual at 06:00 but with added urgency as I have to finish at least one engine before the end of May. I think the answer is going to be overtime!
Apart from that nothing on the agenda except that I must start thinking about veggie shopping for the next cooking session! Amazing how fast the weeks speed by!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Another wet day yesterday and another today plus thunderstorms but the tide turns tomorrow with the rest of the week hitting 24 by Thursday, we should have cruise like weather on the ferry then . I did manage to get my plants in yesterday though got very wet doing it. However great weather for getting them started.

The kitchen progressed yesterday and we shall plod on today. Joanne is calling this morning with her sewing machine which I will take home to get repaired hopefully before our next visit. There are no other plans, half a room of blue to do, a ceiling to match the other end and two and a half doors. I have finished my painting apart from the doors so have been polishing the furniture and generally doing a bit of deep cleaning before everything goes back.

Have a good day all
IMG_1701.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue.... Definitely a working holiday! How is your throat?

I'm into crankshaft turning again but on a smaller scale. I started by massaging my drilling of the head of the brass standard to refine my original drilling. I admit it was out of line. That done I did my measurements and made a fag packet drawing of where I was going. Almost an hour later I had a crankshaft ready for the flywheel at one end and marked out for drilling for the crank pin at the other. I have another to make exactly the same. But now for breakfast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Sue,
We are going from Portsmouth to St Malo in June overnight, and back during the day. We have a cabin booked going, but I see we can book seats on return sailing. Is this necessary or will we find seating easily enough in a bar, cafe or restaurant?
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Yes you would find seats but it is a 9 hour crossing. We usually have a cabin and have a sleep after lunch. Get a 4 berth then no one needs to climb up to the top bunk. There is usually some entertainment in the bar June to September, and there is a cinema. The restaurant does a nice lunch, it can fill a couple of hours, three courses or we usually have the 2 course buffet starters and the buffet cheese and dessert. Glass of wine or two and we are all set for our siestas

Yes Stanley the throat is ok but I am left with a chesty cough. I had terrible griping pains at the same time but thought it was my new medication but that has cleared up too so must have been connected to it.. I did a covid test early last Tuesday but it was negative…it was definitely an unpleasant virus.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm glad to hear it was no worse than that Sue. My Susan has had an infection as well, must be people coming out of a depressing winter!
I have just surprised myself by doing my veggie shopping at the Co-op. I didn't go in with that intention but there you are it's done now and I can cook on Wednesday.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”